Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

dreesemonkey posted:

Xpost from the miata thread. I might not have this much longer but I spent a lot of time cleaning it up today and got some good pics for the craigslist ad.

That's a drat nice NA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GTi_guy posted:

Finally washed her and took a few pictures of her.

As I said before, '91 Formula red on black with 115k km's on the odo. I've driven her every day since picking her up. Pure bliss.

Tell me about driving this.
People's reactions to it.
Future plans.
Everything.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GTi_guy posted:

I've grown so used to A5H's stanceworks photos that even when I see a properly awesome sports car with a great handling stock suspension, all I think is 4x4. It's really no more wheel gap than mine, it's just that flash on the camera makes it seem larger when you can see the wheel well.

I think I'm just going to stop taking profile photos of cars though.

Edit: vv I could not even handle that height. The D.C. area does not favor low cars. No matter what my angle of approach is I'm always scraping my front spoiler air dam whatever you call it. I don't think I've ever actually hit the skid guard though.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 17, 2012

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wouldn't even make my NSX all that low.
I'd buy the best coilovers possible and some TE37s + semi slicks.
Like this.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Faerunner posted:

The tires are stock size, they're just BFG A/Ts, not the smoothest ride, so I can't imagine them being being too good for fuel economy.

Don't listen to a word I say, I talk out my rear end. Apparently they're 30x9.5x15R and I was just assuming they were stock because they look like every other Jeep I've seen, and I don't do the maintenance on the vehicle.

So um... how do I convert that to "normal" tire sizing and calculate my "actual" fuel economy?

Edit: To save everyone looking up previous posts, 2000 Jeep Cherokee which TireRack says is 215/75-15 or 225/75-15

Double-Edit: These were the tires on the Jeep when we bought it, actually. Unless I tracked down the previous owner (... four and a half years ago, so not likely to run into him easily) how would I be sure whether or not it had had the speedometer corrected? I don't have a smartphone to run a GPS-based speed application.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 17, 2012

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Steve McScene posted:

Tell me about driving this.
People's reactions to it.
Future plans.
Everything.

Driving this;
Perfect driving position
Amazingly balanced.
Enough power to get into some trouble, no too much to lose your license.

People's reactions;
Absolute penis magnet, girls never even notice it.
I've already had Honda guys hang out their window and wave, thumbs up and hang 10.
Drivers of exotics all give a wave as driving by.

Future plans;
Timing belt, coolant hoses, hatch struts and window fix its.
Polish the paint. Although the PO took care of it, he didn't wash it properly
Some BBS LM's or gunmetal TE-37's. I know it's been done before, but goddamn its because of the perfection that it works.
Maybe some KW competitions
NSX-R spoiler
DVD head unit with some nice factory sized speakers. No boom tisk here.
This is all after this year of course, my wife has rightfully put a moratorium on spending.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

GTi_guy posted:

Future plans;
DVD head unit with some nice factory sized speakers. No boom tisk here.

That center console looks like one large unit with some oddly shaped cutouts for the controls. What's involved in putting an aftermarket head unit in there? Do you just have a whole new center piece made out of matching material?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Perfect plans. You are my favourite ai guy!
How much do nsxr wings go for?
I am excited.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

Xpost from the miata thread. I might not have this much longer but I spent a lot of time cleaning it up today and got some good pics for the craigslist ad.

Nice looking car, but why does the paint always appear to mismatch on the front bumpers?

GTi_guy
Oct 21, 2003

avas ye, matey

Steve McScene posted:

Perfect plans. You are my favourite ai guy!
How much do nsxr wings go for?
I am excited.

I don't think OEM is A viable option, however, science of speed sells really nice replicas for $800 in FRP painted black like the real one, or clear coated carbon fibre for about $1350. I'm leaning towards the cf one, but I have until at least next year to figure that out. I also appreciate the sentiments, this has been a long time in the making; the search lasted nearly 5 years. With this in mind, I don't want to anything that's not completely reversible.

davebo posted:

That center console looks like one large unit with some oddly shaped cutouts for the controls. What's involved in putting an aftermarket head unit in there? Do you just have a whole new center piece made out of matching material?
There's a company that makes single and double din consoles for a few hundred bucks, or I could be a retard and cut the one I have. My thoughts are why half rear end something on such a nice car though.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS

Faerunner posted:

Don't listen to a word I say, I talk out my rear end. Apparently they're 30x9.5x15R and I was just assuming they were stock because they look like every other Jeep I've seen, and I don't do the maintenance on the vehicle.

So um... how do I convert that to "normal" tire sizing and calculate my "actual" fuel economy?

Edit: To save everyone looking up previous posts, 2000 Jeep Cherokee which TireRack says is 215/75-15 or 225/75-15

Double-Edit: These were the tires on the Jeep when we bought it, actually. Unless I tracked down the previous owner (... four and a half years ago, so not likely to run into him easily) how would I be sure whether or not it had had the speedometer corrected? I don't have a smartphone to run a GPS-based speed application.
215/75 was available only on an SE. All trim levels Sport or above had 225/75R15 - I believe 4WD may have also bumped up to 225s regardless of trim. That said, I think a couple low-production '00 models (Freedom, for one) had 16" wheels. (2001 had no SE model, so it dropped the 215s and 4cyl availability.)

I went from 225/75 Wrangler RT/S (OEM) to to 235/75 BFG AT to 30x9.5 BFG AT. The 225/75 led to a very conservative speedo reading from the factory, with the 235/75 BFG improving upon this slightly. The 30x9.5 seems to be spot-on (70-71MPH indicated at 70MPH groundspeed) according to the couple GPS models I've used for verification. This is with 3.55s and factory speedo gear; given the limited number of speedo gear ratio possibilities, factory 3.73 vehicles may be a little different.

All that aside, bear in mind that a 30x9.5 BFG AT is closer to 29.5" in diameter, so don't necessarily extrapolate this to other models/brands. :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This has further stoked my ferocious burning desire to own a pop-up headlight NSX.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

Nice looking car, but why does the paint always appear to mismatch on the front bumpers?

Not sure if its just lighting or different angles of the panels or what, does not look like that in person.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Spent some time washing my car yesterday and took a quick photo with my phone for you guys:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The stock exhaust on Neon SRT-4's is like this, sounds fantastic. No mufflers from the factory. Just a cat and a tiny resonator. Too bad everyone 3" straight pipes them and they sound like tractors.

:smith:

Chrysler has a weird habit of making odd engines in cars sound fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYTL3qROndk&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL86D79929F3AB810A

Here is my DD, the 300m "Special" 3.5L. (not my video, though)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Bojanglesworth posted:

Spent some time washing my car yesterday and took a quick photo with my phone for you guys:

I am absolutely in love and this is an example of a photo I would immediately show anyone who has mean things to say about wagons

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

davebo posted:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/discontinued_products/Downforce-center_console/

Double Din .pdf at the bottom of that page

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

GTi_guy posted:

I don't think OEM is A viable option, however, science of speed sells really nice replicas for $800 in FRP painted black like the real one, or clear coated carbon fibre for about $1350. I'm leaning towards the cf one, but I have until at least next year to figure that out. I also appreciate the sentiments, this has been a long time in the making; the search lasted nearly 5 years. With this in mind, I don't want to anything that's not completely reversible.

There's a company that makes single and double din consoles for a few hundred bucks, or I could be a retard and cut the one I have. My thoughts are why half rear end something on such a nice car though.

Time to change your name to NSX_guy :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Who's the dude here who posted a YouTube clip a few months ago of his crazy Evo punching it on the highway and taking off at warp speed?

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

This is the best commercial ever.

Black Gold.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
ok so i just bought this, yes i bought the same car

jdm (yo) gen3 hardtop turbo on silly coilovers that are way too low, loud exhaust and a bunch of other stuff thats going to be removed/changed. So i'm going to break my old one and put all my nice suspension on because i hate these coilovers. Also yes I know the numberplate is in the wrong place im going to put it on the front when I get the bracket.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Idiot race posted:

ok so i just bought this, yes i bought the same car

jdm (yo) gen3 hardtop turbo on silly coilovers that are way too low, loud exhaust and a bunch of other stuff thats going to be removed/changed. So i'm going to break my old one and put all my nice suspension on because i hate these coilovers. Also yes I know the numberplate is in the wrong place im going to put it on the front when I get the bracket.

I've always wanted a 2nd gen MR2. Yours looks great!

Please don't drill your bumper for a license plate. Front license plates suck.

Edit: whoops, meant 2nd gen. Or is there a third generation that isn't the MR-S?

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 19, 2012

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

I've always wanted a 3rd gen MR2. Yours looks great!

Please don't drill your bumper for a license plate. Front license plates suck.

There are already holes drilled into the front bumper, plus i'm pretty sure it needs to be on the front or the police are going to get pissy. Tbh its better than my uk specs front numberplate, which was a massive ugly plastic slab.

Also if any uk goons wanna buy a whole gen3 turbo rearclip (lol) hit me up

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Knocked a Miata off my "Bucket List".

Next up is either a wagon, S2000, NSX, or possibly a M3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

This right here is why I now own four cars. AI is a bad influence.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

b0nes posted:

How do you like this car? I am evaluating one for my next car for school. I think I can get a good deal on one because there are not a lot on the road.

I came from a 2002 Ford Ranger to the Kia. I really like it. Great on gas, I like the looks far more than anything else in its range. It's fun to drive, sporty-ish, and the features that come standard blew the Genesis Coupe out of the running, at $10k more. I'd enjoy the extra HP, but I haven't had a speeding ticket in 11 years, and I think this car will help me keep that going.

There are plenty on the road around here, but not nearly competing with the Civic or Mazda 3, and I like that.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

Edit: whoops, meant 2nd gen. Or is there a third generation that isn't the MR-S?

To make it complicated it has the 3rd generation 3sgte motor. This was only available in the mr2 in japan and the celica gt4 st205 in europe/austnz/japan. To make it even more complicated the sw20 had 5 different revisions during its lifetime, this car is a 3rd revision.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rhyno posted:

AI Anonymous: My name is Sock and I have a problem. It used to a simple one machine one man kind of addiction, but I delved so deep into my addiction that you can find traces of my bad habit over the entire property now.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Rhyno posted:

I have 3 cars, with only driveway space for two. And I almost bought another :v:

My addiction is BMW specific though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Idiot race. Are they RGs? P1s?
Also leave your plate there it'll be sound.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
yeah... I started upgrading my one stock daily driver jeep and now I have 4 jeeps, a trailer, a parts jeep, a broken dodge supposedly for towing the jeep, a parts dodge for another of the jeeps, and AI pretty much convinced me to junk the broken dodge and buy two more jeeps to tow the jeep. Well, one more. But then I showed up at the seller's house and it turned into a package deal.

:argh:

WHERE DID ALL MY MONEY GO

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Steve McScene posted:

Idiot race. Are they RGs? P1s?
Also leave your plate there it'll be sound.

Old school rgs, I had to take the po's old wheels off because he wanted to sell them separate. He also had a 25mm spacer on the rear which I tested my wheels with for a mexiflush look lol.

Also seriously I cannot wait to get rid of these coilovers, the rears are constantly rubbing even though the arches are rolled. Slight dips in the road, slightly hard cornering its loving rubbing. Also they ride like poo poo, on the motorway the car is constantly bobbing up and down.

Might put the plate at the top of the window somehow idk yet.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Rhyno posted:

My fiance likes to remind me that we have parking space for about seven cars if we squeeze them in.

Right before I remind him we can't afford to replace either of our cars if anything happened to them, as it is...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mighty Horse posted:

Chrysler has a weird habit of making odd engines in cars sound fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYTL3qROndk&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL86D79929F3AB810A

Here is my DD, the 300m "Special" 3.5L. (not my video, though)

That is awesome.

I've done some exhaust work on the SRT and I'm quite happy with the results. 3" catless downpipe and the MOPAR 2.5" rear section which replaces the two tiny resonators with a large one. Stock sounding but with the volume turned up. Added bonus of backfires and fireballs. Straightened out compared to the stock piping too. Netted me a +20 bump in both wheel horsepower and torque, no joke.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sockington posted:

AI Anonymous: My name is Sock and I have a problem. It used to a simple one machine one man kind of addiction, but I delved so deep into my addiction that you can find traces of my bad habit over the entire property now.

Crustashio posted:

I have 3 cars, with only driveway space for two. And I almost bought another :v:

My addiction is BMW specific though.

Faerunner posted:

My fiance likes to remind me that we have parking space for about seven cars if we squeeze them in.

Right before I remind him we can't afford to replace either of our cars if anything happened to them, as it is...

You guys are not helping, I have a serious addiction here! There's a 2004 Marauder for sale nearby and I might have to buy it!

I think I'm gonna have to make my own thread detailing the troubles I have.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

the spyder posted:

You're prepared for any autocross situation.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Just bought a ratty Alfa 75 Turbo to use as a track day and ice track car. It is cosmetically rough but rust free and has some nice new components. Unfortunately, much of what the previous owner has done to the car requires some attention before I dare to drive it.

Before:

Now:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Whoa, they made a turbocharged 2 liter from the factory?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

DJ Commie posted:

Whoa, they made a turbocharged 2 liter from the factory?

1.8 liter. Fits to less that 3 litre weight limits in Group A racing. Didn't do that well against M3s and Cosworths though.

Edit: Smaller image

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoLittle posted:

Just bought a ratty Alfa 75 Turbo to use as a track day and ice track car. It is cosmetically rough but rust free and has some nice new components. Unfortunately, much of what the previous owner has done to the car requires some attention before I dare to drive it.

Before:

Now:

You had me at rust free alfa :allears: