Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Well that's still like $20 per year?

It's not really an absolute basic necessity since I'd wager like 98% of people who use shared hosting won't even know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

rawrr posted:

Well that's still like $20 per year?

It's not really an absolute basic necessity since I'd wager like 98% of people who use shared hosting won't even know what it is.

One dollar a month equates to $12 per year :eng101:

With SSH it'd be $80 for the first year, and $75 every year thereafter.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 18, 2012

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

eightysixed posted:

One dollar a month equates to $12 per year :eng101:

With SSH it'd be $80 for the first year, and $75 every year thereafter.

SSH is $5/year, not $5/month

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

fuf posted:

I've been happily hosted with mediatemple for years but I want to start using django and they don't support it on their shared hosting.

Do you think I'll be able to find a host that'll let me use django for less than $20 a month?

It looks like dreamhost offer it but what's the general consensus on dreamhost these days?

e: what about webfaction? Opinions?

Get a VPS like Linode, and you can install whatever you want. Django is part of the reason why I went from MediaTemple to Linode. Once you go VPS and discover how flexible root access is, you'll never go back.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there some sort of freelance sysadmin service? I'd like to host with linode, but can't be bothered with having to secure/harden it, and wouldn't know what to do if I get hacked/something goes wrong.

I know I'd be more suited for a managed VPS, but aside from the initial setup, and the rare event of something going wrong, I don't really want to pay for service I don't use.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Check out sites like Elance. There's a lot of really terrible companies (typically based out of India, Pakistan or Russia) that will promise the world for $5/hr and fail to deliver in the slightest, but there are also great people there if you're willing to pay the money.

I've done work very similar to what you need there before. My philosophy was that I couldn't compete in volume or cost with those types of companies, so I made up for it with exceptional service (obviously backed up by nearly a decade of professional experience). To avoid a lot of the poo poo, search for people who have very good ratings (like, 100% 5 star) and offer work of a limited scope. Most of the people on there that offer everything you can imagine from graphic design to webapp development to custom kernel compilation operate with a team of subcontractors who may or may not (generally not) know what they're doing.

Or, and this is probably the better option, solicit freelance workers on SA mart or something. Don't try to dick them around; you should be paying at a minimum $50/hr.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
How painful is a domain transfer? I have a registered domain that I just use for e-mail (well, I toy around with the other services that come by default, but it's just e-mail for the most part) and a couple years ago my current provider got rid of their cheap plan option and forced me to upgrade. I'm tired of overpaying for stuff I'm not using, but I've been sticking with them from internet horror stories of domain transfers which I'm not sure are just a minority speaking out or not.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

nessin posted:

How painful is a domain transfer? I have a registered domain that I just use for e-mail (well, I toy around with the other services that come by default, but it's just e-mail for the most part) and a couple years ago my current provider got rid of their cheap plan option and forced me to upgrade. I'm tired of overpaying for stuff I'm not using, but I've been sticking with them from internet horror stories of domain transfers which I'm not sure are just a minority speaking out or not.

It can be confusing and usually takes several days but the horror stories you've heard probably didn't come from straightforward transfers.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

nessin posted:

I transferred all my domains from GoDaddy to NameCheap last year during Elephantgate and it was pretty easy. GoDaddy purposely makes it a little difficult (they take forever to send you the magic code you need to transfer your domain away from them) but they eventually did. It shouldn't affect the uptime of your website or anything.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Didn't see any mention of them and don't know if anyone else uses/has ever used JaguarPC but I've had a VPS with them for a little over 2 1/2 years. I have the Linux VPS Pro package which is:

50GB space, 3000GB bandwidth, 1024MB RAM for $29. but I have an extra IP, cpanel/whm, fantastico, and an extra 1gb of RAM and pay $37 a month.

Works pretty good for me, price seems to be pretty good compared to others with the features I get, never had any uptime problems and support tickets have always been fast.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm using wtfdns.com and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what.

I've had a couple A records there for like a year that are fine. Mostly just some linux boxes I can never remember the IP addresses for, so like

mars.bob.com
jupiter.bob.com
pluto.bob.com

I first created ip.bob.com as a CNAME to jupiter.bob.com, since that's the server I have the page on. (I have two virtual hosts and files in /var/www/ip and /var/www/jupiter)

After like 2 days (I figured it would have propogated by then) it still didn't work so I made an A record this time and set ip.bob.com to the same IP as jupiter.bob.com. Still doesn't resolve after a while.

I put a little script up that just gives me the IP address on a web page. Then I made a virtual host and it serves it up fine if I put the IP address of jupiter.bob.com in my hosts file as ip.bob.com

What the hell!

This is using my ISP's DNS server (I figured they were being slow), Google (8.8.8.8) and then Level 3 or whatever at 4.2.2.4.

:argh:

Are they just not pushing updates out? Usually when I do this at work on our domains they go through in an hour or so.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
did you remember to update the serial (timestamp) in the zone file

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Also, when you create new DNS records, they (generally) aren't subject to propagation time. Propagation time refers to the amount of time it will take for DNS resolvers around the world to purge the old, cached DNS record and update based on your change.

If it's a new record, it's unlikely that they have anything cached for that hostname. If there's nothing cached, then they will go through the whole root nameserver->authoritative nameserver process to pull the record. If someone makes a request for a hostname that isn't cached, and the resolver can't complete that process, it will return a host not found error and nothing will be cached, so new records should be available instantly.

That said, I would verify against your ISP's DNS server by checking it directly. I like dig:

# dig @ipaddress.of.isp.server https://www.whatever.com

This bypasses all caching resolvers and queries the server you specify directly.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dolicf posted:

That said, I would verify against your ISP's DNS server by checking it directly. I like dig:

# dig @ipaddress.of.isp.server https://www.whatever.com

This bypasses all caching resolvers and queries the server you specify directly.

I was using dig and nothing ever showed up. I asked about the propogation time because I have been playing with this the last few days and changing them around.

quote:

robert@dwarf:~$ ping ip.xxxxxx.net
ping: unknown host ip.xxxxxx.net
robert@dwarf:~$ dig @4.2.2.4 ip.xxxxxx.net

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @4.2.2.4 ip.xxxxxx.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 13088
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ip.xxxxxx.net. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
xxxxxx.net. 900 IN SOA ns1.wtfdns.com. abuse.wtfdns.com. 2011041401 21600 3600 604800 86400

;; Query time: 78 msec
;; SERVER: 4.2.2.4#53(4.2.2.4)
;; WHEN: Fri May 18 19:43:53 2012
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 88

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do you have the trailing '.' on the one that doesn't work?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you have the trailing '.' on the one that doesn't work?

Like ip. instead of ip, if I want the name to be ip.bob.com?

None of them have trailing IP's. The others all work.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Try this:

# dig ns xxxxxxx.com +short

You should get two nameservers outputted, something like ns1.wtfdns.com and ns2.wtfdns.com. Run dig directly against those nameservers:

# dig @ns1.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxxx.com
# dig @ns2.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxxx.com

You *should* get a valid record, but if not, the output will show you the error code. Can you paste the output for those commands in (redacted domains/IPs is cool).

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Like ip. instead of ip, if I want the name to be ip.bob.com?

None of them have trailing IP's. The others all work.

I think you have it correct. Assuming you're using BIND, your record should look like one of these:

code:
ip        IN A        1.2.3.4
ip.bob.com.        IN A        1.2.3.4
If you have the second one and don't include the period after 'com', it will offer up a record for ip.bob.com.bob.com, which obviously isn't what you want.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

dolicf posted:

Try this:

# dig ns xxxxxxx.com +short

You should get two nameservers outputted, something like ns1.wtfdns.com and ns2.wtfdns.com. Run dig directly against those nameservers:

# dig @ns1.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxxx.com
# dig @ns2.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxxx.com

You *should* get a valid record, but if not, the output will show you the error code. Can you paste the output for those commands in (redacted domains/IPs is cool).

I tried that earlier as well. Running it now shows:

code:
robert@dwarf:~$ dig @ns1.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxx.net
dig: couldn't get address for 'ns1.wtfdns.com': not found
:wtf:
code:
robert@dwarf:~$ dig @ns2.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxx.net

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @ns2.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxx.net
; (1 server found)
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 14396
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ip.xxxxxx.net.			IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
xxxxxx.net.		86400	IN	SOA	ns1.wtfdns.com. abuse.wtfdns.com. 2011041401 21600 3600 604800 86400

;; Query time: 72 msec
;; SERVER: 71.19.145.134#53(71.19.145.134)
;; WHEN: Fri May 18 20:40:50 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 88

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Is it bad that the SOA 'start of authority' lists NS1.WTFDNS.COM and that appears to be down?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

dolicf posted:

Check out sites like Elance. There's a lot of really terrible companies (typically based out of India, Pakistan or Russia) that will promise the world for $5/hr and fail to deliver in the slightest, but there are also great people there if you're willing to pay the money.

I've done work very similar to what you need there before. My philosophy was that I couldn't compete in volume or cost with those types of companies, so I made up for it with exceptional service (obviously backed up by nearly a decade of professional experience). To avoid a lot of the poo poo, search for people who have very good ratings (like, 100% 5 star) and offer work of a limited scope. Most of the people on there that offer everything you can imagine from graphic design to webapp development to custom kernel compilation operate with a team of subcontractors who may or may not (generally not) know what they're doing.

Or, and this is probably the better option, solicit freelance workers on SA mart or something. Don't try to dick them around; you should be paying at a minimum $50/hr.

I was looking into elance and odesk, thanks.

I guess I don't quite need a VPS, but I want something a step up from shared hosting. I just don't like the feeling of sharing with 7000 other accounts on the same server. A Small Orange offers a "business" plan with fewer accounts per server, but apparently that just means 3500 accounts instead of 7000.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

rawrr posted:

I guess I don't quite need a VPS, but I want something a step up from shared hosting. I just don't like the feeling of sharing with 7000 other accounts on the same server. A Small Orange offers a "business" plan with fewer accounts per server, but apparently that just means 3500 accounts instead of 7000.

That actually sounds exactly like you need/want a VPS. Linode has a lot of instructions in their library for sercuring your server that are really newbie friendly, plus there is the awesome IRC channel where you can get all sorts of help. The Linode 512 plan is $19.95/mo, so you could always get one for a month and play around and see how comfortable you feel with it all before deciding to move your site over. Worst case, you're out $19.95 and you got some Linux command line experience. And Linode is open about how many plans share a host: http://www.linode.com/faq.cfm#how-many-linodes-share-a-host.

Some general security tips:
  • Don't install an ftp server
  • Don't permit root login with ssh
  • Don't allow password login with ssh, only authorized key
  • Don't run apache as root
This is optional, and a little more advanced, but I also recommend installing this: http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html. It helps you manage the firewall, which can be a little intimidating for beginners, blocks ip addresses that attempt to bruteforce or port scan the server, and has a nice security scan tool that assesses some common security issues and gives you a nice report http://www.configserver.com/cp/csfdemo/report.html.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rawrr posted:

Don't forget there's a theory that you can get better performance on a shared server. The idea being that the people who are on a VPS (and they pack them on there) are there because they can do anything they want, and there's disk contention issues.

Are there any new benchmarks like this:

http://journal.uggedal.com/vps-performance-comparison/

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Can anyone recommend me a cheap hosting that wouldnt mind me using it as a huge filedump to backup my files and so I can share them with others? (Non-copyrighted work). I know a lot of shared hosts have problems with people using their space like this. Like 200-500 GB of stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I went and signed up for FreeDNS but apparently they don't like the IP addresses of my VPS provider....any other suggestions for free DNS hosting?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Bob Morales posted:

I went and signed up for FreeDNS but apparently they don't like the IP addresses of my VPS provider....any other suggestions for free DNS hosting?

do you mean freedns.afraid.org? if so try dns.he.net

and vice versa

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rufo posted:

do you mean freedns.afraid.org? if so try dns.he.net

and vice versa

he.net seems to work, thanks

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I tried that earlier as well. Running it now shows:

code:
robert@dwarf:~$ dig @ns1.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxx.net
dig: couldn't get address for 'ns1.wtfdns.com': not found
:wtf:
code:
robert@dwarf:~$ dig @ns2.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxx.net

; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @ns2.wtfdns.com ip.xxxxxx.net
; (1 server found)
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 14396
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ip.xxxxxx.net.			IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
xxxxxx.net.		86400	IN	SOA	ns1.wtfdns.com. abuse.wtfdns.com. 2011041401 21600 3600 604800 86400

;; Query time: 72 msec
;; SERVER: 71.19.145.134#53(71.19.145.134)
;; WHEN: Fri May 18 20:40:50 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 88

There seems to be a problem replicating right now, we're working to fix it right now.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
:siren: If anyone uses WHMCS for their billing system, their main website was just compromised and a database dump containing client information may have gotten out.

If you have sent WHMCS a password for your setup for troubleshooting/upgrade/etc purposes and have not changed it CHANGE IT NOW.
:siren:

Discussion:
http://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?t=47644
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1156920

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Yeah, my heart sank when I saw:

My day will immediately become the worst ever if their database was actually leaked.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
really whmcs, again?

and this time to a hackforums minecraft ddos clan?

:allears:

edit: also I am finding out about this via WHT first instead of WHMCS notifying when it happened, classy

Impotence fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 21, 2012

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

NOTinuyasha posted:

My day will immediately become the worst ever if their database was actually leaked.

It's been leaked. Dump of /, mysql dbs, and cPanel

edit: their own site apparently uses mysql_ functions, no parameterised queries, binding to be seen? edit2: holy poo poo it's literally a bunch of php scripts in various folders there isn't even a cms apart from wordpress

Impotence fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 22, 2012

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Did they really host their website on Hostgator??

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Haywood Japwnme posted:

Did they really host their website on Hostgator??

Yeah, on the webhosting talk thread, some people defended using Hostgator since the server was actually owned by softlayer. Doesn't really matter since it was hostgator who got social engineered into resetting the cpanel password.

Oh and they were pointing out that WHMCS makes 500k a month.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Sperg Victorious posted:

Yeah, on the webhosting talk thread, some people defended using Hostgator since the server was actually owned by softlayer. Doesn't really matter since it was hostgator who got social engineered into resetting the cpanel password.

I wouldn't trust what they say, it's a huge disaster and they're probably looking to spread the blame around.

Also they're now getting DoSSed now so there might be issues with licenses calling home.

This all seems so cruel, what did WHMCS ever do wrong? I've only had positive experiences with them.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Sperg Victorious posted:

It sounded like the guy lost control of his email and that is how they got in, simply utilizing the standard password reset methods.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Delta-Wye posted:

It sounded like the guy lost control of his email and that is how they got in, simply utilizing the standard password reset methods.

I'm surprised they weren't using two-tiered authentication for e-mail... Especially since that e-mail address was basically the key to running their business.

At 500k/month, how could they not afford to colo with a datacentre directly? I guess it wouldn't have helped too much since they lost control of their e-mail, but it's still very surprising. I'm going to laugh if it's because Hostgator was giving them free hosting.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

NOTinuyasha posted:

This all seems so cruel, what did WHMCS ever do wrong? I've only had positive experiences with them.
I'm not sure if you downloaded the dump to see if your own information was on there, but virtually everything was mysql_query and stuff, nothing close to 'best practices' PHP

They were told repeatedly to not leave everything open by multiple poeple on WHT years ago

Their stuff was all on a dedicated server running cPanel with all ports open to the internet, and still are

Why the hell are they using hostgator?

As a side note: WHMCS caches licence key (its a hash really) for a week. If someone forces a licence check on your WHMCS install while the site is down, your install gets disabled

Impotence fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 22, 2012

pram
Jun 10, 2001
I'm looking for a moron-proof cms. My friend is volunteering for a marathon and wants to make a website to put the sponsors/info on. I'm looking for something that has a very easy editor.

I thought about wordpress but its not really a blog format, it'll basically be a couple pages. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

pram posted:

I'm looking for a moron-proof cms. My friend is volunteering for a marathon and wants to make a website to put the sponsors/info on. I'm looking for something that has a very easy editor.

I thought about wordpress but its not really a blog format, it'll basically be a couple pages. Any ideas?

Wordpress, delete all posts and set your front page to a page.