Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

powderific posted:

Did someone secretly replace your ESC with an old mechanical speed control?

If it's sitting at neutral throttle and you turn it off it throttles all the way up? That's pretty crazy.

I have the stock VXL ESC, yesterday I turned my radio off before I turned the car off and the car went straight at full speed until I turned the radio back on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm assuming it's a 2.4GHz radio, have you reset the failsafe?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Re-bind your radio. I screwed up and forgot to set this on my D8 a couple of months ago when I changed the receiver, and had my buggy go shooting across the track full-speed when my transmitter glitched out on me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, re-binding has to be the RC equivalent of 'turn it off and back on again'.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

While I'm thinking about it, krush - I'm building a Ve8 later this week, and making a bastard 'Hara Edition' one from parts off of my old D8. One thing I keep reading is that the Vorza's servo saver has a foam washer or something that seals it and keeps the saver from locking up... Can I just make a washer out of foam or something? Do you happen to know the dimensions of it? I find it weird it's being mentioned at all, since I have 2 D8s and never have had a problem with that part.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Spent yesterday evening installing radio gear in the new 8.2 and started the break in process. What a pain. I see the appeal of having an actual ENGINE but drat if electric isn't easier. Solder up a motor, plug in a battery and go.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
TremorX - I don't have a Vorza handy to check out, but I'll see if the Apache kits have anything like that, I have them at home.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I'm leaning towards to a Castle SCT 3800 system after hearing good things....and it's much cheaper than a Tekin/Viper system. I had a Castle brushless system in my mini late model when I used to race dirt oval, and won many a feature with that thing.

Would the castle be decent for my XXX SCT?

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm leaning towards to a Castle SCT 3800 system after hearing good things....and it's much cheaper than a Tekin/Viper system. I had a Castle brushless system in my mini late model when I used to race dirt oval, and won many a feature with that thing.

Would the castle be decent for my XXX SCT?

i use a castle mmp sct 3800 system in my 2wd slash, never had any problems with it, was still tweaking the punch settings before i started working on my losi.

the esc switch can stop working, i had to splice the cables together.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Howser, if you're looking to get into 1/8th e-buggy, I have an 8.2e with about 3 races on it. Can be had as an artr if you're interested. thekuffs at the gee mails. (Also I have PMs)

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Just throwing this out there....does anyone have a 2wd Slash they'd be willing to part with?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Starting to rebuild my old truck, but due to a lack of availability of parts, i've had to hack some poo poo up.

loving stuck set screw, it rounded the short end, and did this to the long end....before rounding it.

This of course meant war.

Which lead to the next problem. And old gear from a different old project.

The wear on the outside of the old gear actually helped to center the new one, drilled some holes, and re-used some screws, and used the old gear as a guide.

Like a glove.

And, of course, spin test, my small sanding drum just happened to fit snugly inside.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

A year or two or something ago, I sold all my RC stuff. Now I want to get back into it, and I'm (weirdly) torn between getting straight into 1/8 electric or just getting another 2wd slash.

What a loving weird decision.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hypnolobster posted:

A year or two or something ago, I sold all my RC stuff. Now I want to get back into it, and I'm (weirdly) torn between getting straight into 1/8 electric or just getting another 2wd slash.

Racing or bashing?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Hypnolobster posted:

buy a nearly new RC8.2e from kuffs!

kuffs posted:

if you're looking to get into 1/8th e-buggy, I have an 8.2e with about 3 races on it. Can be had as an artr if you're interested. thekuffs at the gee mails. (Also I have PMs)

In other news, picked up three gallons of fuel yesterday... time to get that drat nitro car broken in!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Hypnolobster posted:

needknees posted:

buy a nearly new RC8.2e from kuffs!

Yes, do this. I'm getting out as I'm not into the scene around here. I can make you a good deal on an RTR with a KO Eurus if you want. thekuffs at the gee mails, or I have PM.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HPI has a 5th scale 4WD electric short course coming out by the looks of it. It looks pretty heavily based on savage components (TVP chassis, suspension arms and shocks, but upscaled?). while I cant be mad at a new RC, especially in 5th scale, I had a lot of problems with my savages that never really got resolved through new components or hopups from third parties (diff ring gears not keeping up with the power of newer .28s and up, slipper clutch not being at all adjustable causing spurs to strip regularly, amongst others) and it puts me off buying something like this seeing that the tech I had trouble with is being scaled up.

Losi is very similar in that respect - a lot of their models are just the same chassis with different wheels and body, maybe a change in track/wheelbase thanks to different arms, and they call it a day. I guess a lot of their products are focused on bashers rather than racers, which they would then make it cost effective for them as a spares supplier to have a lot of cross-platform components

Maybe krushgroove can comment on this - whats the average cost of developing an ALL NEW product?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Laserface posted:

Maybe krushgroove can comment on this - whats the average cost of developing an ALL NEW product?

One or more designers working for months (usually a year, year and a half) on single project, not just design but talking with suppliers for tires, electrics, everything - plus project meetings, etc.
Flying back and forth to the factory for QA checks
Purchasers negotiating with suppliers for costs, supply etc.
Every new parts tree, tire, wheel, etc., is a new mold...average $20,000?
A new body means the body department spending a couple of months straight designing, carving, fitting, polishing and testing a new body mold (this is why you see some kits use the same body but new vinyl wraps or painted graphics)
Graphics for the body
Graphics for the box
Rushing through prototype parts (3D printing usually) for marketing photo samples
Rushing through early production parts for video sample
2-3 guys for video shoots, usually a day or two at a time
1 photographer in the studio for a day or two
(e: forgot to add in costs for advertising, shipping, air-shipping rush orders and whatnot, but I don't know if you'd count that since it's normal sales costs)

I'm probably missing out quite a bit, but that's a very rough guide to what goes into every kit, not just new ones. I've heard costs of up to 7 figures for a totally new kit...

BTW the Super 5SC has Savage arms, diff cases, metal drivetrain, etc., so nothing is scaled up but the chassis length. The other day we spent all day at at stunt 'wall of death' and went through several kits until they broke (jumping it 25+ feet high in the air will do that!). I don't bash the Savage really, so I don't know all the issues with the Savage, but the older slipper design (Sav 4.1) didn't last so long but the Savage Flux (with the latest slipper design) was fine, just not as cool on the wall as the Baja, Vorza or XS.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

OK, yeah, thats a lot of poo poo.

How do X-ray, AE and the rest afford to produce new Touring cars each year? I get the feeling that due to the bulk of parts being CF/machined aluminium they are somewhat cheaper to produce?

EDIT: looked at the flux savage - They have changed nearly every part that was a problem in the SS/4.6 models. diff ring and pinions are now machined, steel spur gears.

thats kind of cool actually. The savage(s) I had were definitely some of the tougher models available at the time, and the TVPs gave them that authentic MT look that truggys and other models (T-Maxx, MTA4, LST) just didnt have. The only bad thing about them was that they didnt handle as well as the LST2 I ended up buying, and I felt that the LST was a better design to work on even if it was a little dated.

the 3 speed for the savage was definitely one of the coolest things ever - having it rev out and snap into the next gear sounded cool as poo poo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbhSeL9WVXc

Makes me wish I still knew all the guys that used to hijack BMX tracks so we could go out every sunday and huck RCs at the moon :( simpler times man.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 18, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Laserface posted:

Makes me wish I still knew all the guys that used to hijack BMX tracks so we could go out every sunday and huck RCs at the moon :( simpler times man.

Every once in a while, we'll go down to the local skate park and run Slashes around it. Skate park ramps are basically perfect for R/C cars, its so fun, but so hard on the cars.

I have gotten my Slash stuck in a tree before. Thats how high it gets off the skate park ramps

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah, so it's been a confusing week. The main track I run is doing dirt oval for the summer, and spec Slash MDM (Midwest Dirt Modified) has blown up. You can only change the radio, shock oil, gearing, & servo on your Slash.

I found this out AFTER purchasing my Losi XXX-SCT last week. I changed the battery connector so I couldn't return it. :smack: Luckily, a buddy of mine was wanting to get into the hobby for $200 bucks, so I sold him the Losi and threw in a battery and charger (old NIMH one).

I then ordered a new Slash Raptor from Tower Hobbies and got $50 off from a sale they were doing. The Slash comes in today. I figure I can race dirt oval, and then just do my best to race it in the Sportsman class for offroad. I haven't owned a Slash since they released, so I'll do a nice review & write up.

Here is what they look like with the dirt oval body. The racing looks insanely fun. Outside of the body, there isn't much to do to change them over from offroad to oval, so I can do both.

I've got a buddy who does real late model vinyl wraps, and here's what he has for mine.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

b-mod stuff

B-mod oval has exploded here recently. I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap roller and joining in the left hand turn fun :)

Well, the new gasser is basically broken in and I finally got the opportunity to run it on a (pretty drat small) track. For all its annoyances and ridiculous maintenance... I... think I enjoy nitro :ohdear:

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Just throwing this out there....does anyone have a 2wd Slash they'd be willing to part with?

My Slash with the Traxxas Velineon power plant on ebay right now. I'm not linking the auction because i dont know the rules but you'll know it's mine when you see the aftermarket bumpers made for the led kit.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Laserface posted:

OK, yeah, thats a lot of poo poo.

How do X-ray, AE and the rest afford to produce new Touring cars each year? I get the feeling that due to the bulk of parts being CF/machined aluminium they are somewhat cheaper to produce?

I honestly don't pay much attention to AE stuff, but XRAY get by by charging shitloads for their kits, changing kits every year (serious racers get a new kit or two every year, so upgrading isn't much of an issue), concentrating on the racing market and not having many plastic molds may help I guess. They also machine most or all of their stuff in-house so that will help. As for AE...they're owned by Thunder Tiger, which makes a lot of basher stuff, just like Horizon owns Losi/TLR, so the racers are paid by mainstream kit sales, I'd guess.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I took the Slash to the BMX park today. They were in the middle of redoing it with a Cat loader, so we had to stick to a rougher, half-finished side, but my god that was fun.

For some reason the plastic hinge on both my battery compartments has broken. I think I get too much mud and crap in the joint, so it stresses it when I squeeze it shut. Is this common, or am I just excessively abusive? I duct tape it up now and works pretty well, but I'd prefer a tighter seal against water.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
aww.... it's twins! :3:

Gasser

E car

Break-in complete on the gasser. It's so strange coming from an electric only background to nitro. COMPLETELY different driving style. Constant fiddling trying to chase a tune down. Doesn't help that we're having 20F+ temp swings here now.

I love the smell and noise of nitro. Cleaning the car up after the day is done though? loving gross :gonk:

needknees fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 21, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
11v batteries (3s?)... Why aren't they used more often in the slash ? I saw some at the hobby store, but it seems like every youtube video is using the 7v batteries.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

jonathan posted:

11v batteries (3s?)... Why aren't they used more often in the slash ? I saw some at the hobby store, but it seems like every youtube video is using the 7v batteries.

People do indeed use 3 cell batteries in them, but realistically it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill for a 1/10th vehicle. Way overkill... They're ok in 4wd platforms but 2wd it's just uncontrollable. Not to mention many speed controllers are not rated for that kind of voltage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

needknees posted:

People do indeed use 3 cell batteries in them, but realistically it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overkill for a 1/10th vehicle. Way overkill... They're ok in 4wd platforms but 2wd it's just uncontrollable. Not to mention many speed controllers are not rated for that kind of voltage.

Just after posting that I realised there are 4s batteries that people use for top speed runs. Like this guy from my area who does 5 mile blasts with his car using a gopro camera. And drives behind it while controlling it somehow.

One of his cars he films doing over 100mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npVJ-keA6M8

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

jonathan posted:

Just after posting that I realised there are 4s batteries that people use for top speed runs. Like this guy from my area who does 5 mile blasts with his car using a gopro camera. And drives behind it while controlling it somehow.

One of his cars he films doing over 100mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npVJ-keA6M8

That video lead me to this guy driving his Rustler in traffic :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0cAgHpU_Dg

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

needknees posted:

I wouldn't say its overkill. My Rustler VXL MOVES with a 3S pack installed. 59.8mph with the stock gearing. You just need lots of room. My Stampede 4x4 VXL is fun with the 3S too, but the tires balloon way too much. 2S is fine for offroad bashing.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Id say it's overkill, just received my 3s and I'm surprised I didn't break anything because when you apply full throttle it's way too much power to be useable by anyone and it screams like a mofo, for bashing a 2s would be better because it also overheat the velineon pretty badly

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

even a 2S pack in a decently hot brushless system will run 60mph. I had some weird 6T hacker brushless system in a touring car with a regular 6cell pack and it was capable of running 65 on foams

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I left the battery plugged in and fried the ESC in my slash :(
Every time i plug a battery into it, it starts smoking and oozing liquid, which i am sure is not good.

The wait is on for parts for my 4x4 nitro truck, so in the mean time i've decided to have a little fun with my little 2wd.

Out goes the seized 1.2, in goes a HPI 3.0, the goal is a standing backflip.

gonna take a bit of hackery to get it in there, but it should be worth it, and at the very least keep me busy.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

needknees posted:

aww.... it's twins! :3:

I've got kinda the same thing going on here...

Just finished building the Ve8 today, planning on racing it this weekend.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Any of you guys know a cheap place to buy a personal transponder?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

TremorX posted:

I've got kinda the same thing going on here...

Just finished building the Ve8 today, planning on racing it this weekend.

Nice :). There's only a couple guys that run HB cars in my area but they look pretty nice. Not entirely sold on the plastic chassis for the e car though... I'd take a look at Tekno's v4 conversion if you ever need to replace the chassis or just try something new.

If you find one let me know... :smith:

Cheap personal transponders basically don't exist. AMB, and now MyLaps have a stranglehold on the market due to most tracks using AMB timing systems so they can basically charge whatever they want.

Used ones tend to go for ~70-80 bucks, new is just over 100. It's ridiculous.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

MyLaps has had a couple of sales on 3-packs and 6-packs. They worked out to around 60-some bucks each in the 6-pack sale I got in on. Good deal if you have some friends wanting them or don't mind reselling them. They regularly give a 10% discount for the 6-packs, also, so they work out to around $90/each.

The nice thing about transponders is they are never hard to get rid of, and don't really drop in value even if you do boneheaded things like shorten the wires.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

needknees posted:

Nice :). There's only a couple guys that run HB cars in my area but they look pretty nice. Not entirely sold on the plastic chassis for the e car though... I'd take a look at Tekno's v4 conversion if you ever need to replace the chassis or just try something new.

Yeah, when/if this one breaks on me, I'll probably go with the HHH or the Tekno. I like the price tag of HB/HPI stuff, and the fact that it doesn't seem 'cheap' despite being less expensive. A bunch of the E-buggy guys at my track are die-hard either Mugen or Associated, and I can just about buy 2 HB kits for what they pay for one of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Geez, I never knew the price difference was so much.

Anyway, sometimes it's a good day at the office. Spent today outside in fantastic weather at the local skatepark, filming a 'how to backflip with the Savage XS' video. Filming continues tomorrow...