Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

McSpanky posted:

Son of a bitch, I was wondering what that library card was for! And here I was hoping I'd at least be able to uncover a secret cache of vampire lore in the basement or something.

It actually has a use already.

Tung wants you to find poo poo for him, making the requests through email, and that's one of them. The problem is the quest had a tendency to not always fire properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I have the clan mod installed and I'm having this weird problem in the Chinatown hub; every so often as I make my rounds I get frozen in place for a few seconds and a pink mist overcomes me. I also seem to be losing blood at a rapid pace and looking at my character it seems as if I have some skill being used automatically at regular intervals. It's not game breaking but it's pretty annoying and it only happens in the Chinatown hub. I'm also playing as Malk if that has any relevance. Any ideas what's going on here?
How's your humanity? That description sounds awfully close to being overcome by the beast without victims nearby.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
It always surprises me how this game suddenly always ends up getting reinstalled.

So I haven't dealt with any of the new mods before in any of my past playthroughs, just the usual unofficial patches and bugfixes. Are they really worthwhile? It seems like some of them just add some big headaches...

Also whenever this game pops into my head I think of this song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUCyrg5Syo

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I have the clan mod installed and I'm having this weird problem in the Chinatown hub; every so often as I make my rounds I get frozen in place for a few seconds and a pink mist overcomes me. I also seem to be losing blood at a rapid pace and looking at my character it seems as if I have some skill being used automatically at regular intervals. It's not game breaking but it's pretty annoying and it only happens in the Chinatown hub. I'm also playing as Malk if that has any relevance. Any ideas what's going on here?

Check your options and make sure that you don't have your buffs set to automatically reactivate when they run out.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I randomly decided to play through this again the other day. I have the CD version rather than the Steam one, but I've upgraded to Windows 7 since the last time I played it. It loads fine, but when I get into the actual game the UI is all wrong - it looks 'zoomed in' - nothing is visible along the bottom and the health and blood bars look pixellated and too big.

Note that this isn't a question about wide-screen. I don't have a widescreen monitor. It's just that the UI doesn't work properly. A quick trip to Google doesn't suggest anything useful, so does anyone have any ideas?

Cropped screenshot below - take a look at the bar. It looks either pixellated or like it's using completely the wrong mipmap level. Same for the inventory beneath.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Huh. I had the same bug until I installed mods and I thought the game was just that old. But some googling shows it normally looks way better and it's only from 2004, so...weird.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Kasonic posted:

Huh. I had the same bug until I installed mods and I thought the game was just that old. But some googling shows it normally looks way better and it's only from 2004, so...weird.

If I remember correctly it came out shortly before Half Life 2, which was interesting because it used the Source Engine, but came out before Half Life 2, which the Source Engine was made for.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Kasonic posted:

Ah, so the mods fixed it? I'll try installing those; I was planning to do a modless run-through first since it's been so long since I played it, but the UI is driving me crazy. Thanks.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The blurry UI is a bug that is fixed by installing the Unofficial Patch by Wesp. At the very least I would install the basic version of it because the vanilla game is pretty broken. Concerning the Unofficial Patch, I would skip on 8.0 and use 7.9 for the time being as the latest version has a slew of it's own bugs. There is a beta hotfix for 8.0 though... The Steam Forums are fairly active as far as boards concerning VtM:B goes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Killsion posted:

If I remember correctly it came out shortly before Half Life 2, which was interesting because it used the Source Engine, but came out before Half Life 2, which the Source Engine was made for.

Released on the same day actually. Bloodlines was finished first by a couple of months due to pressure from Activision to release a working build, which is part of why the 1.0 version is so goddamn buggy, but their contract with Valve to use the Source Engine kept them from releasing it before Half-Life 2

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Upmarket Mango posted:

The blurry UI is a bug that is fixed by installing the Unofficial Patch by Wesp. At the very least I would install the basic version of it because the vanilla game is pretty broken. Concerning the Unofficial Patch, I would skip on 8.0 and use 7.9 for the time being as the latest version has a slew of it's own bugs. There is a beta hotfix for 8.0 though... The Steam Forums are fairly active as far as boards concerning VtM:B goes.

Yeah seriously we need huge blazing signs that say FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT PLAY MODLESS ON YOUR FIRST RUN EVEN IF THAT'S HOW YOU USUALLY PLAY GAMES I'M NOT KIDDING.

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

:nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah seriously we need huge blazing signs that say FOR GOD'S SAKE DO NOT PLAY MODLESS ON YOUR FIRST RUN EVEN IF THAT'S HOW YOU USUALLY PLAY GAMES I'M NOT KIDDING.

This. A thousand times this.

The beach hotel is one of the greatest maps of any video game I've played. I'm also fond of the Griffith Park level. I'd like to find the guys who designed them and buy 'em a drink or something.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

xyzzyx posted:

This. A thousand times this.

The beach hotel is one of the greatest maps of any video game I've played. I'm also fond of the Griffith Park level. I'd like to find the guys who designed them and buy 'em a drink or something.

Griffith Park was such a great level the first time I went through it. Spoilers for the few who haven't gotten there, I guess: At first I thought to myself, "Come on, Nines, I've got loving shotguns and poo poo, I can handle one werewolf." Smashcut to me running for my loving (un)life. I also felt pretty loving great working out how to close the observatory shutters on it. Second time through was still cool, but it lost something without that kind of thrill that running away from an invincible werewolf provides.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Col. Roy Campbell posted:

Griffith Park was such a great level the first time I went through it. Spoilers for the few who haven't gotten there, I guess: At first I thought to myself, "Come on, Nines, I've got loving shotguns and poo poo, I can handle one werewolf." Smashcut to me running for my loving (un)life. I also felt pretty loving great working out how to close the observatory shutters on it. Second time through was still cool, but it lost something without that kind of thrill that running away from an invincible werewolf provides.

I was lucky that i didnt discover you could do this until my 3rd run due to sheer panic, i love that the level doesnt let you just find an area of the map to hide and suck your thumb because the AI cant reach you.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I have the blurry UI and I thought it was normal, too. If I install the basic Wesp patch now, will it mess up my current save game?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

68k posted:

I have the blurry UI and I thought it was normal, too. If I install the basic Wesp patch now, will it mess up my current save game?

Yeah, pretty much every mod and patch for VtM:B will require a new save game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

68k posted:

Probably, but there is a standalone fix for that bug that doesn't. It's related to the game thinking that there's less video ram than there is, and there's a modified .exe or ini file or something out there. It's pretty easy to find on google.

Agreeable Badger
Aug 8, 2008
Okay so I finally got the clanquest mod working, but it won't let me zoom out on a char using a custom skin. Is this normal, or did something gently caress up?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
edit: nevermind, I'm dumb.

folgore fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 14, 2012

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I need to update the OP with other mod info, but I haven't tried the Final Nights mod or anything other than Clan Quest... anyone wanna whip something up for me to add in?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Dug the game out again only to find there's all these new mods and stuff! I'm excited to play again but, as always, paralysed with indecision about how to play. Does the plus version of the unofficial patch make social stats other than Persuasion useful? What's some good stuff to look out for? I never did a Nosferatu character because I thought being unable to be seen would mean missing out on a lot of content, was I mistaken?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Dug the game out again only to find there's all these new mods and stuff! I'm excited to play again but, as always, paralysed with indecision about how to play. Does the plus version of the unofficial patch make social stats other than Persuasion useful? What's some good stuff to look out for? I never did a Nosferatu character because I thought being unable to be seen would mean missing out on a lot of content, was I mistaken?

Seduction is still only useful for getting free drinks at bars. I've only played a little bit as a Nosferatu, while you have to avoid being seen by regular people, it's fine if quest NPCs/shopkeepers see you. All you'll usually get is a comment on how hideous you are, similar to the comments people make about Malkavians being crazy.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's also not very sensitive. I can run through the streets in Santa Monica and not get a humanity drop.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

UltraRed posted:

It's also not very sensitive. I can run through the streets in Santa Monica and not get a humanity drop.

Have you ever been to real world Santa Monica?

Working as intended.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Fuzz posted:

Have you ever been to real world Santa Monica?

Working as intended.
They're usually out in the day, though, not the night.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have not. hahaha

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Alright. Clean install, install unofficial patch 8.0 beta 2, set compatibility for XP SP2 and disable fancy desktop things. Now I'm getting about a second and a half of source engine grey loading screen before being booted back to my desktop. Anyone know how to get this working on Win7 64-bit?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

wiegieman posted:

Alright. Clean install, install unofficial patch 8.0 beta 2, set compatibility for XP SP2 and disable fancy desktop things. Now I'm getting about a second and a half of source engine grey loading screen before being booted back to my desktop. Anyone know how to get this working on Win7 64-bit?

1. Make sure you are opening the game from within Steam.
2. Make sure Steam as well as the VTMB executable are set to run as administrator.
3. If you have a widescreen monitor, use the resolution patcher.
4. Disable the automatic updates and live community stuff in the game settings in Steam, or it will detect the changes and reset the game data, thinking its corrupted or out of date.

I found this walkthrough very helpful: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2025035

Might want to uninstall and then follow the guide with a clean install.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
This is probably been asked and answered before, but does anyone know why, when I launch the game, it'll only appear on the left side of my screen (the right side just being the grey loading screen). Game was working fine about 6 months ago, so I'm not sure what would cause this.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm not installing it through Steam. I still have my discs.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I'm not installing it through Steam. I still have my discs.

Did you install the official 1.2 patch before the unofficial one? It's included in the Steam version but not on the disc version.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm trying to get CQM to work but it's not :mad:

I followed the instructions in the second post (not the steam version):

1) Clean install of VtM:B
2) installed patch 1.2
3) ran CQM 3.0 installer to /vampire with the following options:

Wesp 7.9 Plus
Camarilla 1.4
Arsenal
Music mod by martdms
Toreador - Latex
Ventrue - Fishnet

4) respatch utility

Launch Vampire, no mods.

Reinstall CQM, same thing.

Do I need to downgrade to the CQM 2.1 or something? I really don't want to do another fresh install of VtM :sigh:

edit: got it. It's very confusing that the OP and the vampire planet page say to install to the vampire subdirectory when in fact you have to install to the main game directory

POWERBALL fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 19, 2012

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

BUTT CONSPIRACY posted:

edit: got it. It's very confusing that the OP and the vampire planet page say to install to the vampire subdirectory when in fact you have to install to the main game directory

Yeah, this bit is really weird. In some parts, it will say "it used to be like this, but now it's this," or "all previous versions did this, while all the other mods did this." I probably did about 5 reinstalls before I finally got the drat thing working.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I installed the "sexy" heather skin...I'm not sure what I was expecting but now she looks like some creepy gothic Japanese sex robot :gonk:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Maximum Planck posted:

Did you install the official 1.2 patch before the unofficial one? It's included in the Steam version but not on the disc version.

Yes, even though unofficial 6.0 and later have it included.

I'm ready to give up on this, it's just not co-operating. I get the same grey "loading..." source engine screen then get booted back to desktop.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

BUTT CONSPIRACY posted:

I installed the "sexy" heather skin...I'm not sure what I was expecting but now she looks like some creepy gothic Japanese sex robot :gonk:

That drat thing is absolutely hilarious with the Comp Mod Lite (probably with the Comp Mod, in general).

Though I think it fucks up her goth outfit when you embrace her, since it doesn't carry over and it causes the makeup to be misplaced...

Which is probably what you were talking about.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Pretty much all of the character reskins are terrible. I find it strange that no one has created high resolution versions of the default skins though.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

Pretty much all of the character reskins are terrible. I find it strange that no one has created high resolution versions of the default skins though.

White suit LaCroix. :colbert:

Other than that, yeah, they are either not that great or pretty unnoticeable. I put almost all the skins on for my Clan Quest Mod playthrough because I wanted to do as much as I could with it. I think I got my time's worth when seeing how ridiculous the Heather skin fucks up when moving.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
Just completed it for the first time today. Sided with the Anarchs and let LaCroix open the sarcophagus while I walked away. Absolutely hated the ending, expected something dramatic after all the talk of "Don't open it."

Good game overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Just completed it for the first time today. Sided with the Anarchs and let LaCroix open the sarcophagus while I walked away. Absolutely hated the ending, expected something dramatic after all the talk of "Don't open it."

Good game overall though.

I've noticed a lot of people agree that the ending segments of the game are where it all sorta goes down south. Mostly because it just goes really fast between combat section to combat section.

• Locked thread