Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Ach, I knew all the MM facts but wasn't sure about the specific years. That's awesome that Uematsu has a metal band. Now I will rock out to it :black101:

They've covered a whole lot of other FF songs, too! It's pretty fun listening to them, if only once for the novelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Um, you don't quite understand. You see, :nws: THIS :nws: was a billboard in Japan. Like, on the major streets. In front of everyone. Naked. With airbrushed balls. Ugh, Square, what the gently caress?

I don't think we got this version in Crisis Core. :staredog:

Seconding that you should check out the Black Mages albums. They're all on youtube somewhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Um, you don't quite understand. You see, :nws: THIS :nws: was a billboard in Japan. Like, on the major streets. In front of everyone. Naked. With airbrushed balls. Ugh, Square, what the gently caress?

I'm... not clear what your argument is here at all? If this is a Final Fantasy ad, I sure can't find any example of it. So "At some point, Gackt posed naked for a billboard" or something?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Pesky Splinter posted:

I don't think we got this version in Crisis Core. :staredog:

Seconding that you should check out the Black Mages albums. They're all on youtube somewhere.

I have a lot more :staredog:

ImpAtom posted:

I'm... not clear what your argument is here at all?

I meant that it was lovely for them to include him solely for the reason that he was so popular in Japan at the time. It would be like including Britney Spears or Lady Gaga in the next Call of Duty game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have a lot more :staredog:

I meant that it was lovely for them to include him solely for the reason that he was so popular in Japan at the time. It would be like including Britney Spears or Lady Gaga in the next Call of Duty game.

Have you seen who they've got advertising the next COD?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, that was a lovely example, it was the first very popular game with a large following that came to my head.

Ok, for a better example, Lady Gaga is the main antagonist in Max Payne 4. She wears sexy, revealing, crazy clothes like she does on stage and sings in every other scene. She doesn't have anything to do with the story, but Rockstar really wanted to exploit her popularity.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's not so much who these people are, it's more how they're used. Gackt's character is just Sephiroth Electric Boogaloo with worse character development, and a complete lack of originality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that was a lovely example, it was the first very popular game with a large following that came to my head.

Ok, for a better example, Lady Gaga is the main antagonist in Max Payne 4. She wears sexy, revealing, crazy clothes like she does on stage and sings in every other scene. She doesn't have anything to do with the story, but Rockstar really wanted to exploit her popularity.

So, like, for example, having an actress on a popular television show appear to motion capture and voice herself, and who you can have sex with?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For you Joey, my quick recommended Black Mages metal covers:
J-E-N-O-V-A
Since you like FFVII.

But their best tracks IMO are:
Clash on the Big Bridge
Battle with the Four Fiends

Also this is definitely a your mileage may vary thing but I really like The Skies Above. It is cheesy but I un-ironically love it.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

NikkolasKing posted:

J-E-N-O-V-A
Since you like FFVII.

Clash on the Big Bridge

Also this is definitely a your mileage may vary thing but I really like The Skies Above. It is cheesy but I un-ironically love it.

Holy poo poo.. This is the most amazing thing I've ever heard.

I'm picking up my guitar again to learn to play all of FF7 now.

edit: I just listened to the boss theme from 7 by them and I am :gizz: ing everywhere. I've heard so many covers but none of them really sounded real, just sounded like crappy, unenthusiastic covers. This sounds exactly like how it should in real life and not being a MIDI. This is so amazing. Also, holy poo poo these guys can play guitar :supaburn:

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 19, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ach, I knew all the MM facts but wasn't sure about the specific years. That's awesome that Uematsu has a metal band. Now I will rock out to it :black101:

And now they're the Earthbound Papas! They do original stuff and some Mistwalker tracks instead. :eng101:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

J-E-N-O-V-A
Since you like FFVII.

Clash on the Big Bridge

I also recommend Battle With Seymour

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

As far as I know, every Black Mages song but one is a cover of a Final Fantasy track, and that one sounds like it could have been from a Final Fantasy.

My favorite is their rendition of Dancing Mad; Nobuo Uematsu is an organist himself, so that's the one song where he's got the most prominent role.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Who better to advertise a game about terrorists and war criminals than an actual war criminal?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Back on the topic of character designs, there is one design I've seen Amano get a lot of poo poo for and that's Paladin Cecil. Then again, Paladin Cecil gets a lot of poo poo anyway. Everyone wants their precious Dark Knight with his Instant Kill sword and Darkness.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Are there any good figures in the style of FFI, preferably the core classes?

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Back on the topic of character designs, there is one design I've seen Amano get a lot of poo poo for and that's Paladin Cecil. Then again, Paladin Cecil gets a lot of poo poo anyway. Everyone wants their precious Dark Knight with his Instant Kill sword and Darkness.

Eh, that sword's overrated and just seems really awesome because you can grind out levels for Palom and Porom on the Zu with it. It still doesn't do good damage or anything.

Darkness is pretty sweet though and it's pretty awesome and useful to keep it around in FFIV DS even if the move is totally different in that game (it's still cool).

edit: for those who don't know, the original Darkness attack (which, IIRC, you don't get to use in FF2US) essentially consumes something like 10% of Cecil's max HP and does a medium amount of darkness-elemental damage to all enemies. In FFIV DS, using the move casts an aura on Cecil for the next three turns that makes his attacks do an extra 25% (iirc) damage and consume 10% of his health when he attacks. Basically, the move got revamped to be more useful in boss fights and less useful against regular enemies.

Mrs. Badcrumble fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 20, 2012

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I'm watching beloved Mel Gibson classic movie What Women Want right now, and I'm noticing that the music playing as Gibson frantically searches for the suicide case sounds surprisingly like the music in FF13 when a character is going over his/her internal monologue during their allotted "character arc" scenes.

In a way, it really helps tie the emotions of the movie together. Can't believe I've never noticed that before.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Which songs are they (if you know)?

I only really remember the music of XIII being there in the far distance doing its best not to be memorable. I mean, it sounds nice, but it's just sorta there.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I'm watching beloved Mel Gibson classic movie What Women Want right now, and I'm noticing that the music playing as Gibson frantically searches for the suicide case sounds surprisingly like the music in FF13 when a character is going over his/her internal monologue during their allotted "character arc" scenes.

In a way, it really helps tie the emotions of the movie together. Can't believe I've never noticed that before.

FF13 had a lot of incredibly great music for character scenes and arcs. Definitely a great part about the soundtrack.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Dust to Dust is probably my favorite Final Fantasy song, honestly.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I thought Hamauzu's work on Dirge of Cerberus was way better. One of the few redeeming things to come from that loving game.

It's just I've always felt that XIII's soundtrack is just full of way to many wishy-washy singing and soft piano stuff. Even the final boss themes just sound like someone tried to make the most generic final boss music ever - near indecipherable Latin chanting, just plodding along in an aural clusterfuck.
That said, XIII-2's final boss themes, make it work.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's just I've always felt that XIII's soundtrack is just full of way to many wishy-washy singing and soft piano stuff. Even the final boss themes just sound like someone tried to make the most generic final boss music ever - near indecipherable Latin chanting, just plodding along in an aural clusterfuck.

I actually really liked Born Anew, the melody really sat well with me and the little Opera solo at the end of the loop was...interesting. Nascent Requiem was pretty much just X's Decisive Battle minus, though.

I agree about XIII-2, though. I've said before I love Caius' leitmotif to death, and I love the way it's used there. The Ending Credits medley is really cool, too.

Dark Id's LP is reminding me how awesome X's soundtrack is, though. Part of why I like Hamazu just a touch better than Uematsu is he seems to have wrote all my favorite tunes from that game, although I can't think of a one I didn't really like. Might be the overall strongest soundtrack I've heard from the series.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 20, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I never actually played DoC for obvious reasons and I don't really listen to teh soundtracks of games I haven't played. I do however know that it used a couple Gackt songs and they were decent.

As for XIII, it had a handful of nice songs but like Splinter said, the rest was just kinda there.

To be honest, the only final boss themes I really like are Zeromus' and Battle For Freedom from XII. Oh sure, Dark Messenger and Summoned Beast Battle would be up there too but Trance Kuja and the Aeon gauntlet are not the final bosses. Sigh....

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

To be honest, the only final boss themes I really like are Zeromus' and Battle For Freedom from XII. Oh sure, Dark Messenger and Summoned Beast Battle would be up there too but Trance Kuja and the Aeon gauntlet are not the final bosses. Sigh....

Dancing Mad owns bones, it and the ending theme make up half an hour of good music. I feel like a dweeb saying it, but One Winged Angel is pretty solid. Say what you will about VII, the soundtrack really is top-notch. XI had some pretty good boss music too, but it didn't really have a final boss, guess that doesn't really count

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fungah! posted:

One Winged Angel is pretty solid.

You've got to admire a song, where the composer basically said, "Hmm, you know what O'Fortuna really needs to spice it up? Purple Haze."

I really like the Crisis Core version; The World's Enemy, or as I think of it, the Harry Potter version (because of the section at 1:47).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OWA is a decent theme but the best versions of it aren't even in the game. The full orchestra version is amazing, as is the rock version, but the one in the game is just kinda bleh for me.

That's not to say the theme isn't used expertly. I love how it starts up while the screen is still black and when it gets to the appropriate part the battle loads and Safer Sephiroth glides into view. FFVII had amazing cinematic direction.

As for Dancing Mad, I have yet to play FFVI and as I said, I don't like to listen to soundtracks of games I have not played. I know it's heretical not to have played VI but I just don't know if I'll ever be able to appreciate the game given how much my fellow FF fans hype it. I feel like I'll have to isolate myself from the world for a week or two so that nothing distracts me from the orgasmic magic and the unrivaled characterization and perfectly-written story and whatever else.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

You've got to admire a song, where the composer basically said, "Hmm, you know what O'Fortuna really needs to spice it up? Purple Haze."

I really like the Crisis Core version; The World's Enemy, or as I think of it, the Harry Potter version (because of the section at 1:47).

Oh wow, I'd forgotten that arrangement. I really like that one too, shame it's so short. And whatever the film's flaws, I can't pretend I don't love the poo poo out of Advent Children's arrangement.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

As for Dancing Mad, I have yet to play FFVI and as I said, I don't like to listen to soundtracks of games I have not played. I know it's heretical not to have played VI but I just don't know if I'll ever be able to appreciate the game given how much my fellow FF fans hype it. I feel like I'll have to isolate myself from the world for a week or two so that nothing distracts me from the orgasmic magic and the unrivaled characterization and perfectly-written story and whatever else.

It's okay. It does things that are incredible when you think about when it was released; the whole opera scene springs to mind, and how dark it feels. The steampunk/industrial revolution thing has a pretty nice art direction to it, and the musics pretty good.

Of course, like you said with OWA, the best versions are the ones that weren't in the game. Just listen to the duet at 9:50. Just raises the hairs on the back of the neck.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

OWA is a decent theme but the best versions of it aren't even in the game. The full orchestra version is amazing, as is the rock version, but the one in the game is just kinda bleh for me.

That's not to say the theme isn't used expertly. I love how it starts up while the screen is still black and when it gets to the appropriate part the battle loads and Safer Sephiroth glides into view. FFVII had amazing cinematic direction.

Yeah, the version in-game isn't great, but it's only not great in comparison to the ton of much better covers that exist. The first time you hear it, it's awesome

And I love VI, but it's not life-changing or orgasmic or any of that. It's a pretty simple story told fairly well with fun gameplay and a great aesthetic. You should load it up and give it a shot

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I thought Hamauzu's work on Dirge of Cerberus was way better. One of the few redeeming things to come from that loving game.

That's crazy! I've come to realize XIII has a ton of amazing tracks in the game, it's easily one of my favorite soundtracks ever.

Fang's theme, Dust to Dust, Lake Bresha, The Gapra Whitewood, Lightning's theme, Blinded by Light, The sunleth Waterscape, Will to Fight, March of the Dreadnoughts, and The Archylte Steppe!

I love the singing and soft piano stuff too, so maybe it's just differing tastes.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Since we're posting OWA mixes...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Wow. That's weirdly catchy. If that's the sort of thing you want...not as great as yours.

Rueish posted:

FFXIII OST Selection

Elevator music from Satan's personal collection, played to the tormented souls in the pits of Dis.

Yeah, it just boils down to differing tastes. Defiers of Fate is pretty awesome though, basically being Blinded by Light 2.0.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 21, 2012

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah, it just boils down to differing tastes. Defiers of Fate is pretty awesome though, basically being Blinded by Light 2.0.

Aw, see, Defiers actually takes out my favorite part of Blinded: the bit in the middle of the loop where Lightning's theme comes in uptempo on the violin. I remember hearing it back when it was one of the first tunes to creep onto youtube before the game was anywhere near release, and I was hooked right away. Love that piece to death.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Every area in XIII bored me so much that they could have been playing selections from my favorite bands and I still wouldn't have noticed.

Except the Sunleth Waterscape. Beautiful area and wonderful song. Also I liked when Snow's Theme would play since I think it fit really well given all the action.

The tedious levels are probably why I primarily remember the battle themes and XIII definitely had several good ones.

I still prefer XII's soundtrack. I might be the only person on this forum who likes it but whatever. I can listen to the Boss Theme or To the Place of the Gods or Cerobi Steppe or Theme of the Empire or a ton of other tracks all day.

e:

SpazmasterX posted:

I love their cover of Maybe I'm a Lion.

That is the only song they've covered where I didn't much care for the original at all so their cover made it awesome.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 21, 2012

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

NikkolasKing posted:

J-E-N-O-V-A
Since you like FFVII.

Clash on the Big Bridge

I love their cover of Maybe I'm a Lion.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I might be the only person on this forum who likes it but whatever. I can listen to the Boss Theme or To the Place of the Gods or Cerobi Steppe or Theme of the Empire or a ton of other tracks all day.

Nah, I like XII's soundtrack too. Not my favorite, but there was some good stuff in there. All the tracks you listed, Battle for Freedom, Seeking Power, the theme that plays when you fight some of the Judges and Vayne's second stage, all good stuff.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nah, I like XII's soundtrack too. Not my favorite, but there was some good stuff in there. All the tracks you listed, Battle for Freedom, Seeking Power, the theme that plays when you fight some of the Judges and Vayne's second stage, all good stuff.

Those are great choices certainly but the one you were thinking of is Upheaval(Imperial Version)

Can't tell you how glad I am someone else remembers this song. It's always been one of my favorites ever since I played XII but it hardly ever gets brought up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Those are great choices certainly but the one you were thinking of is Upheaval(Imperial Version)

Can't tell you how glad I am someone else remembers this song. It's always been one of my favorites ever since I played XII but it hardly ever gets brought up.

The Imperial theme in general is sort of to XIIs soundtrack what Caius' theme is to XIII-2s, in my opinion. It's a strong motif that I love the poo poo out of and gets used very well in several tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

Every area in XIII bored me so much that they could have been playing selections from my favorite bands and I still wouldn't have noticed.

Except the Sunleth Waterscape. Beautiful area and wonderful song. Also I liked when Snow's Theme would play since I think it fit really well given all the action.

The tedious levels are probably why I primarily remember the battle themes and XIII definitely had several good ones.

I still prefer XII's soundtrack. I might be the only person on this forum who likes it but whatever. I can listen to the Boss Theme or To the Place of the Gods or Cerobi Steppe or Theme of the Empire or a ton of other tracks all day.

e:

That is the only song they've covered where I didn't much care for the original at all so their cover made it awesome.
XII's soundtrack is the definition of elevator music to me. I could not have been less impressed by a soundtrack than XII's. XIII restored my faith in FF music.