Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
We have some really annoying issues with Windows 7 and our file shares, and I'm hoping someone else who has encountered these can offer some advice.

Last month we revamped the way our roaming profiles work, and mapped everyone's major locations (Desktop, Downloads, Documents) to their usual files share. The aim was to reduce login/logout times by having files sync throughout the day instead. This was successful, however we've had various other problems since:

1) Windows 7 PC's are constantly either transitioning to an 'offline' state for some file shares, or else staying 'offline' until the PC is rebooted. The odd part is that the file server in question is always online, and often users can access one file share on it but not another. All PC's are connected via gigabit ethernet, and I've not found any connection problems or server error logs.

2) This in turn causes all sorts of sync errors and conflicts. Most users have at least a dozen items in conflict at any time, and often these can't be resolved without clearing the local cache.

3) Several users have had issues with Office not saving files or simply saying 'file not saved' then exiting completely.

So far I've become an expert at clearing the Client Side Cache, but this is a temporary fix and the problems always reoccur. I have just found this hotfix which seems to address the 2nd and 3rd issues, but have only been able to try it on one PC so far.

However the root cause of the problem still exists. Does anyone know what causes Windows 7 to keep marking file shares as offline, even though the server is perfectly accessable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Factor Mystic posted:

I wrote a program to do this quite awhile ago, Automatic Feed Downloader. It's pretty simplistic, though, no promises.

That seems like exactly what I was looking for, but I can get it to work. When you add a feed nothing happens, and then when you close the program an error saying "There was an error generating the XML document." appears.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What is the best way to make my Documents & Desktop folder be on a fileserver? The server is a linux Samba server if that makes a difference. I'm running Win7 x64 Professional.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

taqueso posted:

What is the best way to make my Documents & Desktop folder be on a fileserver? The server is a linux Samba server if that makes a difference. I'm running Win7 x64 Professional.

I've never actually tried this before, but just going and right clicking on your Documents and Desktop directories, choosing Properties, going to the Location tab, and then typing in where you want them (e.g. \\myfileserver\myshare\Documents\) should work, right? If not mounting that share as a virtual drive should certainly work.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kairos posted:

I've never actually tried this before, but just going and right clicking on your Documents and Desktop directories, choosing Properties, going to the Location tab, and then typing in where you want them (e.g. \\myfileserver\myshare\Documents\) should work, right? If not mounting that share as a virtual drive should certainly work.

Thanks, that seems to work just fine.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Sweevo posted:

What's a good podcast downloader? I used to use Juice, but apparently it doesn't work on Windows 7.

I'm not looking for a fancy over the top media library/video player/streaming server/torrent client. I just want a little program that takes rss urls, and downloads mp3s into a folder.

Personally I just loving gave up and use itunes for podcasts. I dont let it do anything else.

The zune software also does podcasts pretty well.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Speaking of the Zune player, has anyone figured out a way to trick it into thinking an Android phone is a Zune? It's by far the best media player I've ever used and I'm sad that it is now obsolete.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Speaking of the Zune player, has anyone figured out a way to trick it into thinking an Android phone is a Zune? It's by far the best media player I've ever used and I'm sad that it is now obsolete.

Do you mean you want the Zune interface for the music player on your phone?

If so: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uberdroidstudio.ubermusic

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
No, I want to use the desktop Windows Zune application to sync audio files with my phone.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

kri kri posted:

Personally I just loving gave up and use itunes for podcasts.

I'd rather have no podcasts than install that abortion. I already carved runes in the door frames to stop it getting in the house.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 17, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
So I built a new machine last night and I've got a couple of questions.

1. I've got a non-OEM copy of Windows 7 Ultimate but it's currently installed on my old machine. As far as I know the licence is transferable isn't it? I'm presuming when I install it on the new box it'll complain that the product key has been used before, do I need to phone Microsoft? Or is there some procedure to "deactivate" the old machine first?

2. Exactly the same question as above, but for Office. I've got a copy of MS Office Pro Plus that I got off a student's software site. The licence is to install on up to 2 machines. I currently have it installed on my laptop and old desktop. Again, can I deactivate the installation on the old desktop and put it on the new one?

3. Finally, if I install Windows on the new box and then put the hard drive from the old machine in it to pull files off, is it going to give me permissions trouble accessing files in some locations? I've seen it happen before. Is there some way to take ownership of the files?

chippy fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 17, 2012

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

chippy posted:

So I built a new machine last night and I've got a couple of questions.

1 & 2 [product keys]

3. Finally, if I install Windows on the new box and then put the hard drive from the old machine in it to pull files off, is it going to give me permissions trouble accessing files in some locations? I've seen it happen before. Is there some way to take ownership of the files?

Unless you've activated a bunch of times with a key, it shouldn't complain. If it does complain, just call Microsoft and be clear that you've only got the allowed number of concurrent installs.

When you open a folder you don't own, it'll ask whether you want to claim ownership. It may take a moment for a large folder, but you shouldn't have a problem getting your stuff.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
OK, thanks. So, just to be clear - I'm sure the standard retail version of W7 Ultimate only allows 1 install (alhough actually I'm not sure if it's the 100% standard version since a friend got it for me from the MS employee's store, no way would I pay full price for Ultimate.) - so does this mean the old machine will become automatically deactivated (if connected to the internet, obviously).

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Are you planning to continue using the old machine? If not, there's no deactivation process to worry about. If you do plan to keep using it, technically you'll need a new license for the new machine, but I don't know if two concurrent installs would be noticed.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

IIRC, the only Windows activation that calls home is Enterprise, and that is only to it's KMS. A retail version of Windows will activate and then be happy for the rest of it's lifespan. If you activate the license on another computer, MS doesn't do anything with the previous activation.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Toast Museum posted:

When you open a folder you don't own, it'll ask whether you want to claim ownership. It may take a moment for a large folder, but you shouldn't have a problem getting your stuff.

If a folder is especially large you may have more luck using the command line 'takeown' command. I've seen Explorer freeze/stop responding many times when taking ownership of lots of files.
If you're familar with the command line you can do:
takeown /r /f <folder>

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Toast Museum posted:

Are you planning to continue using the old machine? If not, there's no deactivation process to worry about. If you do plan to keep using it, technically you'll need a new license for the new machine, but I don't know if two concurrent installs would be noticed.

No, most likely not. I might bring it back to life as a NAS or something at some point but I'll just chuck Ubuntu or something on it, or I have a copy of Vista lying about I could put on it and then maybe get W7 upgrade at student prices or something. Thanks for the input folks.

xtothez posted:

If a folder is especially large you may have more luck using the command line 'takeown' command. I've seen Explorer freeze/stop responding many times when taking ownership of lots of files.
If you're familar with the command line you can do:
takeown /r /f <folder>

That's useful to know, thanks.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Why is it so loving hard too fully clone a w7 partition to another hdd and have it bootable in another pc? I've been trying for hours. In that same amount of time I could have just reinstalled everything from scratch!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ingram posted:

Why is it so loving hard too fully clone a w7 partition to another hdd and have it bootable in another pc? I've been trying for hours. In that same amount of time I could have just reinstalled everything from scratch!

I've never had an issue with it, though I sometimes have to create a repair disc to boot to to fix the bootloader.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Medullah posted:

I've never had an issue with it, though I sometimes have to create a repair disc to boot to to fix the bootloader.

What is your method?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ingram posted:

What is your method?

Usually use Acronis to clone the drive using a USB enclosure. Are you looking to clone the entire drive or just one partition? Sometimes if I clone just one partition it requires a little bit of work to flag it as the active partition, I use Acronis Disk Director for that.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

chippy posted:

No, most likely not. I might bring it back to life as a NAS or something at some point but I'll just chuck Ubuntu or something on it, or I have a copy of Vista lying about I could put on it and then maybe get W7 upgrade at student prices or something. Thanks for the input folks.

That's useful to know, thanks.

Bear in mind that even as the owner of a folder you may not have the same access to files as your user account on your old computer did. I've had issues with restoring stuff from online backup where my old SID had full control, but my new one couldn't do poo poo. I got it squared away with some powershell stuff, but there may well be an easier way to do it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

stubblyhead posted:

Bear in mind that even as the owner of a folder you may not have the same access to files as your user account on your old computer did. I've had issues with restoring stuff from online backup where my old SID had full control, but my new one couldn't do poo poo. I got it squared away with some powershell stuff, but there may well be an easier way to do it.

Once you have ownership of the folders and files below, you have the ability to change the permissions on the files, even if you can't read the files themselves. This can be done through explorer, and I'm sure there's some command line command to change the ACLs of files recursively but I don't know what it is.

But you are correct that taking ownership alone does not immediately get you access to your files.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kapinga posted:

Once you have ownership of the folders and files below, you have the ability to change the permissions on the files, even if you can't read the files themselves. This can be done through explorer, and I'm sure there's some command line command to change the ACLs of files recursively but I don't know what it is.

But you are correct that taking ownership alone does not immediately get you access to your files.

Yeah, it's easy enough to change them one thing at a time, but I wasn't able to find any easy way of doing it globally through the gui. Powershell has various cmdlets to monkey around with ACLs, so that's what I used to fix mine up. It was still a pain in the rear end though, and I would love to hear others' suggestions for dealing with it.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah, it's easy enough to change them one thing at a time, but I wasn't able to find any easy way of doing it globally through the gui. Powershell has various cmdlets to monkey around with ACLs, so that's what I used to fix mine up. It was still a pain in the rear end though, and I would love to hear others' suggestions for dealing with it.
If you have to take ownership of files because of screwed up permissions, I believe you can bulk-edit the correct/desired permissions by highlighting folders or files (one or the other at any one time) and playing around with permissions in the Security tab in the Properties menu.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ingram posted:

I just did this last week, moving a 36gb IDE disk to a 250gb sata disk using USB enclosures and Ghost. Took all of 40mins to do, and booted first time.

stubblyhead posted:

If you use 'takeown' on the command line, it gives the current user Full Control permissions as well as taking ownership.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there a good windows remote command line solution?

I know about PSEXEC but its kind of lovely sometimes.

I'd prefer SSH but I need to avoid installing anything.

Is there something like a standalone SSH server you can push out/move an executable to a target machine, run it, then SSH in with either normal domain logins or some kind of pre-configured rights?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Enter-PSSession

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Is it normal for the Win7 64-bit photo viewer to zoom in on images using nearest-neighbour scaling? The same thing happens when playing videos as well, it looks terrible.

I'm guessing this is some kind of bug since it's the worst possible scaling mechanism to use for video or JPEG images.

The photo viewer does scale things right in fullscreen mode though. It uses bilinear filtering like you might expect. How can I get it to do that all the time?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
I'm looking for software that will detect motion on a webcam, and then save the previous and following ~30 seconds to disk. Suggestions?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

If you use 'takeown' on the command line, it gives the current user Full Control permissions as well as taking ownership.

Cool, good to know.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My harddrive got corrupted and I'm all set up on a new one. How can I access the user data on the old drive? It tells me Im not an admin and wont let me in. I want to just copy over the appdata so I dont have to set up my preferences all over again.

e: nevermind, figured it out.

KoB fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 19, 2012

modig
Aug 20, 2002
So my Windows 7 desktop is behaving oddly, and I'm wondering what the problem is. Not sure if this is the right thread, so please point me to the right place if necessary. Also this seemed to have started after I installed Diablo 3, but I suspect that is a fluke.

History of symptoms:
-3 Days: Working fine
-2 Days: Takes a long time on the "Starting Windows" screen, and Diablo 3 starts to run slow, especially when changing screens or leaping
-1 Days: "Starting Windows" takes a long time, and Desktop isn't responsive for a few minutes. I run a full Malware Bytes scan and find nothing.
Today: It booted to the desktop, and is now completely unresponsive, the mouse is just that swirly circle even after 10 minutes. Doesn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Rebooted, and now it seems to be working as well as yesterday.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

modig posted:

So my Windows 7 desktop is behaving oddly, and I'm wondering what the problem is. Not sure if this is the right thread, so please point me to the right place if necessary. Also this seemed to have started after I installed Diablo 3, but I suspect that is a fluke.

History of symptoms:
-3 Days: Working fine
-2 Days: Takes a long time on the "Starting Windows" screen, and Diablo 3 starts to run slow, especially when changing screens or leaping
-1 Days: "Starting Windows" takes a long time, and Desktop isn't responsive for a few minutes. I run a full Malware Bytes scan and find nothing.
Today: It booted to the desktop, and is now completely unresponsive, the mouse is just that swirly circle even after 10 minutes. Doesn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Delete. Rebooted, and now it seems to be working as well as yesterday.

You might want to head over to the tech support forum, but I would highly suggest running a hard drive test on it - go to the manufacturer's website and there will be a tool to test the drive.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm suspecting a possible hard drive issue as well. Try Crystal Disk Info and see what it says.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Speaking of HDD diagnostics, what's the hot new bootable diagnostic? I've been using Drive Fitness Test and SeaTools for years, but they don't play nice with AHCI, which is becoming more of a problem as support for legacy modes drops.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Galler posted:

I'm suspecting a possible hard drive issue as well. Try Crystal Disk Info and see what it says.

I think you might be onto something. I might have an excuse to get a SSD or Hybrid drive now. Is this a sign I should replace the drive?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Your disk is hosed sadly. Time for a new one!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I wouldn't go that far, since SMART values are never totally meaningful, but you don't need the excuse of a hosed drive to get an SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I recently build a new computer and on my old one (which I no longer have access to) I had a program that would tell me the quality of an mp3 when I mouse over it, so things like bitrate, low-mid-high-very high quality, song length, artist and so on. The words telling me the quality is the important part. Anyone know a good (free preferred) program that does that?