Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I almost stuffed it into the back of a Yaris today. There's a traffic light just around a blind curve on my commute. I was fallowing the Yaris around the corner, and I looked up to see a green light. I thought "good, I'll make it" and opened up the throttle. It changed to yellow, and I thought "yeah, I'll still make it." The Yaris didn't agree, and stopped. I started quick-stopping, and had to force myself to not target-fixate on the back of the Yaris. I was able to use the turning lane as an escape route, and I brought the bike to a stop roughly even with her back seat.

A few factors came into play here:

-I'm used to blowing off that yellow, so when I saw the light turn I accelerated harder. It struck me as illogical that the Yaris would do any differently.

-When I saw what was happening, I panicked. Yes, I managed to get on the brakes quickly and neatly, but I target-fixated rather than taking the escape route I had lined up. If I hadn't managed to break that at the last moment, things would have ended poorly.

-My brakes suck. I posted about this in the general questions thread, but I'll reiterate. I'm not able to get gradually on the brakes. My front brake hits a "wall" at around 25% stopping power, and then suddenly pops to 70%, then pops to 90%. I played with that on the rest of the ride home, and I'm going to have to take the caliper apart and bleed the system. I should have been on this sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

-I'm used to blowing off that yellow, so when I saw the light turn I accelerated harder. It struck me as illogical that the Yaris would do any differently.

In other words, you're an idiot.

I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth. Never assume and don't blow through yellows where you can easily stop instead. Rear-end collisions are the the fault of the rear-most guy 99,9% of the time.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth. Never assume and don't blow through yellows where you can easily stop instead. Rear-end collisions are the the fault of the rear-most guy 99,9% of the time.

Yeah, basically. I'm not claiming innocence here; the title of this thread indicates that I'm still a dummy.

Edit: What I didn't say above but should have said is that I need to break myself of that "Yellow? Aw hell no," instinct at that intersection.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 15, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The beat the yellow attitude is one thing when no one's in front of you, but it's a safe assumption that someone driving a Yaris is going to come to a halt at the slightest suggestion

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

For me, I would rather dash through a yellow (assuming its clear in front of me)than get rear ended. I think it's better to avoid an accident than be right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dial M for MURDER posted:

For me, I would rather dash through a yellow (assuming its clear in front of me)than get rear ended. I think it's better to avoid an accident than be right.

But then you'll be t-boned by the jerkbag jumping the light.

I try to never go too fast to be able to stop for a yellow. Usually when I think "phew, I just made it through that one", 4 or 5 cars follow me across :eng99:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KozmoNaut posted:

But then you'll be t-boned by the jerkbag jumping the light.

It's not those people. It's the left turners who have been waiting for a yellow and might not see you blitz through at the last second.

Don't do it.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Maybe I'm over thinking it, but all things being equal I would rather zip through then stop hard. There are of course a lot of if's, but I still think its the safer decision.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Unless it has just changed to yellow and I'm only 20m or so away from it and still at my cruising speed I'll usually stop for a yellow because it's not worth getting cleaned up/the fine (cameras :( ).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Behavior of people at yellows varies dramatically by locale (time of day, weather etc) and while, yes, it's generally better to stop, it's situational. What would be the default safe play in town can be near-suicide in the geriatric suburbs. Around here I see equal parts people slowing down anticipating the yellow and then running the red anyway, incredibly sloppy and late left turners, and people zipping up to old reds and still casually overshooting the line by an easy carlength. Really it's just another case for high situational awareness.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've stopped hard enough for a yellow that the car behind me had to panic brake so hard, it put on the hazards automatically and I could hear the tires squealing.

Probably happened because I overtook him at a reasonably high rate of speed and he floored it for some reason. Trying to cut me off or wanting to teach me a lesson whatever, I don't know. That was quite a butt-puckering moment.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Edit: I'm going to strike this from the record.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 16, 2012

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Behavior of people at yellows varies dramatically by locale (time of day, weather etc) and while, yes, it's generally better to stop, it's situational. What would be the default safe play in town can be near-suicide in the geriatric suburbs. Around here I see equal parts people slowing down anticipating the yellow and then running the red anyway, incredibly sloppy and late left turners, and people zipping up to old reds and still casually overshooting the line by an easy carlength. Really it's just another case for high situational awareness.

I guess this would be the takeaway message. There is no hard and fast rule, and you have to always factor for distance, time of day, traffic, speed, etc etc

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
I just had an rear end clenching moment. I was coming across a familiar road, and there's a nice little S curve in the middle. The speed limit's 35, and I hit the curve and bumped it up to 40-45, probably. As I turn right, I'm immediately greeted by a line of stopped traffoc, the last one probably 10-15 feet in front of me. So I hit the brakes hard, which causes the rear end to slide out on me a bit. There's no way I'm stopping before that car, so I steer into the opposite lane, and come to a stop in the shoulder.

I can't honestly say if my brain processed that the opposite lane was empty, or if I would've just run into someone had they been there. It all happened too fast. I guess what's freaking me out a bit is I don't really know what I could have done differently aside from taking the turn really slowly. I still woulda hit the guy at 35.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post. I'm still a bit shaken up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Edit: I'm going to strike this from the record.

I presume you were calling me out as an idiot after I'd done the same to you. All's fair :)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I presume you were calling me out as an idiot after I'd done the same to you. All's fair :)

Yeah, but I woke up a little bit more (it was around 0530 my time) and decided you're a pretty cool guy and didn't deserve that.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, but I woke up a little bit more (it was around 0530 my time) and decided you're a pretty cool guy and didn't deserve that.

I know Kozmonaut IRL, and I can pretty much guarantee that there's absolutely nothing cool about him whatsoever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

I know Kozmonaut IRL, and I can pretty much guarantee that there's absolutely nothing cool about him whatsoever.

Listen to this man. He speaks the truth, for once.

Cornelius, you'll be delighted to hear that I have diagnosed the previous owner of my bike as a bit of a goddamn idiot. It pertains to his ridiculous bodge-job where the centerstand rests against the swingarm and gets rubbed to bits. 100% his design and not how Suzuki meant for it to be.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Cornelius, you'll be delighted to hear that I have diagnosed the previous owner of my bike as a bit of a goddamn idiot. It pertains to his ridiculous bodge-job where the centerstand rests against the swingarm and gets rubbed to bits. 100% his design and not how Suzuki meant for it to be.

You'll never learn how to be cool, bro'. Haven't I already told you, that you don't need a center-stand to change tires or adjust chain? Just lay her down and show that bitch who's in charge.

Flying_Dane
Jan 17, 2006

Grymm & Frostbytten

KozmoNaut posted:

I've stopped hard enough for a yellow that the car behind me had to panic brake so hard, it put on the hazards automatically and I could hear the tires squealing.

Probably happened because I overtook him at a reasonably high rate of speed and he floored it for some reason. Trying to cut me off or wanting to teach me a lesson whatever, I don't know. That was quite a butt-puckering moment.

I have to say that from my experiences of driving in Denmark amber is interpreted as 'floor it' rather than stop. For the next 3 cars.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I didn't crash, but I'm still a dummy. I drove down the beach to chill out and watch the waves come in, but like an idiot I forgot to turn the ignition to off and my headlight killed the battery. I had to push it like 4 miles home. The sad thing is at least 12 bikers passed me on the way and none stopped to help. One cholo looking motherfucker stuck his head out the window to laugh at me. What is happening to this gay earth?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I didn't crash, but I'm still a dummy. I drove down the beach to chill out and watch the waves come in, but like an idiot I forgot to turn the ignition to off and my headlight killed the battery. I had to push it like 4 miles home. The sad thing is at least 12 bikers passed me on the way and none stopped to help. One cholo looking motherfucker stuck his head out the window to laugh at me. What is happening to this gay earth?

You couldn't bump start it or nothing? No bueno, man.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Safety Dance posted:

You couldn't bump start it or nothing? No bueno, man.

I'm still on babby's first scooter. It's automatic : /

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Man, that sucks. If it makes you feel better I dropped my bike onto my leg about an hour ago.

Got to my shed and my ramp had slipped down, so I hopped off the bike and reached down the put the ramp back up - so I could get over the concrete and into the shed - and I didn't have the bike completely upright (apparently) so it started to wobble. I quickly fixed the ramp and stood up just in time to have my bike fall right into my thigh and slide the seat from my upper thigh down to my knee before I managed to stop it.

At least it's light and didn't just go smack into me. :/

(I didn't put side stand down because the bike was over soft dirt and I usually just hold it by the centre of the windshield, it was extra flexy today though :( )

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 20, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well gently caress.

I know it doesn't really count since there was no almost crash, but this is the most fitting thread.

I was stopped by an unmarked patrol car today, for overtaking on a double line. As the very friendly mr. Police Officer showed me his amateur videos of me, he pointed out that I had been going significantly over the speed limit, as well. Goddammit.

The video will be looked over by police experts and they'll conclude if I was over the double lines for more than 100m and whether my average speed was over 128kph. Each of those are worth 1 point and since I already have 1, it's a conditional loss of my driver's license and I'll have to take a written and practical driving test again if I'm found guilty of both offenses.

I have to hand it to the police officer, he was very friendly and didn't mind answering my questions at all on how the system worked and what his personal assessment of the situation was. Then he gave me the standard lecture about how this could save my life etc.. And that drat unmarked car, it had kids' toys in the windows and everything, very nicely camouflaged.

But he was talking about how this could turn into a an unconditional loss of my driver's license for 6 months and from looking through the relevant pages in the police's own information, I cannot see how he would figure that.

According to their own material, I would have to have gotten 6 points within 3 years (not applicable), have had my license for less than three years and gotten 4 points within than period (not applicable, since it'll be 3 points total), and I've never lost my driver's license before or driven drunk.

Anyway, he promised to call me as soon as the results were in, I'll be sure to grill him for information then.

Goddammit :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The video will be looked over by police experts and they'll conclude if I was over the double lines for more than 100m and whether my average speed was over 128kph.

100m I could understand, but passing over a DY at >80mph? That's a bit fast for such monkeyshines. What's your side of the story?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

100m I could understand, but passing over a DY at >80mph? That's a bit fast for such monkeyshines. What's your side of the story?

I sped up after crossing back over the line into my own lane again.

The double line thing was because I didn't get back into my own lane before the double lines began.

I just read through the material and I could actually be looking at an unconditional loss of driver's license, since the two offenses give points and by getting three points, that's a conditional loss. Going more than 60% over the limit is an conditional loss as well. Two or more conditional losses means unconditional loss.

gently caress.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Okay, that's more reasonable. Still, sucks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Okay, that's more reasonable. Still, sucks.

"Sucks" doesn't quite encapsulate it.

I'll lose my license for 6 whole months. That means I can't drive or ride until November! :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sucks, buddy :(

You and Ola, you flagrant lawbreakers, you.

Of course, here in the US, that'd either be a big ticket that you pay 300 bucks to a traffic lawyer to get dismissed, a warning, or getting tossed in prison, based on the color of your skin and the car you're driving.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can't even remember, how long did Ola lose his license for? 6 months?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Get yourself some rimtape and some spiked bolts and go all Mootmoot during your state-imposed driving probation.

Edit: Either that, or trackdays!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Get yourself some rimtape and some spiked bolts and go all Mootmoot during your state-imposed driving probation.

Edit: Either that, or trackdays!

I actually ordered some nice-looking bar end mirrors before I got on the bike today.

How would I transport my bike to the track?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Push.

Make friends with someone who owns a truck?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

"Sucks" doesn't quite encapsulate it.

I'll lose my license for 6 whole months. That means I can't drive or ride until November! :(

You know, I know someone who lost his license for a while and he hasn't ever been stopped since, meaning that his time without a license was more of a "3 months being really REALLY paranoid everytime he saw a cop car" kind of time.

Not that I'd recommend anyone to break the law or anything, but are you really a worse rider because the state wants to punish you? How many times have you been stopped and have had to show your license before this? Just asking.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

You know, I know someone who lost his license for a while and he hasn't ever been stopped since, meaning that his time without a license was more of a "3 months being really REALLY paranoid everytime he saw a cop car" kind of time.

Not that I'd recommend anyone to break the law or anything, but are you really a worse rider because the state wants to punish you? How many times have you been stopped and have had to show your license before this? Just asking.

Precisely none.

I have two speeding tickets, both from automated cameras. One for 70kph in a 50kph and one for 58kph in a 50kph.

But I have never been pulled over before.

And I am not going to be driving around without a license. That's an instant "lose your license for a long time and if we catch you again you go to jail" when they catch you.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Precisely none.

I have two speeding tickets, both from automated cameras. One for 70kph in a 50kph and one for 58kph in a 50kph.

But I have never been pulled over before.

And I am not going to be driving around without a license. That's an instant "lose your license for a long time and if we catch you again you go to jail" when they catch you.

Im sensing a pattern here. It's called repeat offender, and it means you'll probably start doing drugs shortly. Which means that driving/riding without a license will soon be the least of your problems. Besides, jail is basically a full-board hotel where you and I live. (But no, I would *probably* not do it either).

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

KozmoNaut posted:

Well gently caress.

I know it doesn't really count since there was no almost crash, but this is the most fitting thread.

I was stopped by an unmarked patrol car today, for overtaking on a double line. As the very friendly mr. Police Officer showed me his amateur videos of me, he pointed out that I had been going significantly over the speed limit, as well. Goddammit.

The video will be looked over by police experts and they'll conclude if I was over the double lines for more than 100m and whether my average speed was over 128kph. Each of those are worth 1 point and since I already have 1, it's a conditional loss of my driver's license and I'll have to take a written and practical driving test again if I'm found guilty of both offenses.

I have to hand it to the police officer, he was very friendly and didn't mind answering my questions at all on how the system worked and what his personal assessment of the situation was. Then he gave me the standard lecture about how this could save my life etc.. And that drat unmarked car, it had kids' toys in the windows and everything, very nicely camouflaged.

But he was talking about how this could turn into a an unconditional loss of my driver's license for 6 months and from looking through the relevant pages in the police's own information, I cannot see how he would figure that.

According to their own material, I would have to have gotten 6 points within 3 years (not applicable), have had my license for less than three years and gotten 4 points within than period (not applicable, since it'll be 3 points total), and I've never lost my driver's license before or driven drunk.

Anyway, he promised to call me as soon as the results were in, I'll be sure to grill him for information then.

Goddammit :(

I'm going to be a dick here. But if you ride like that you probably should lose your license.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Bloody Queef posted:

I'm going to be a dick here. But if you ride like that you probably should lose your license.

The funny thing is that you think any part of that is remotely dangerous on a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nearly did an RdP on the way to work this morning. Was slowly rolling up the inside of some stopped cars at a traffic light, light goes green as I'm hitting the rear door of the car at the front. Road's quite wide at that point so I roll on from about 2000rpm in 1st and next thing I know the rpms shoot straight up and the rear wheel is going 45deg in every direction. I think I must've got into the power as I hit the white line or maybe cold tyres (it was pretty chilly this morning) but I'm pretty sure I puckered the seat cover off. Thankfully I didn't back off the throttle and get spat off, but gently caress me that's the first close call I've had in ages.

[/:dong:ridin']

• Locked thread