Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Whelp, I saw what I wanted to see and don't really like enough of the rest to watch it in super nintendo graphics, I'll probably rewatch when it's rehosted. I'm glad things went well for the most part, sucks that Jessica's mic was out for most of Gee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm watching it in 720p without too much artifacting. Are others really having a lot of quality issues?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Jamesman posted:

I'm watching it in 720p without too much artifacting. Are others really having a lot of quality issues?

Yeah, it does but its usually really busy.

Also Wonder Girls actually got the closer airport town.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
None here. 720p. All good.

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!
720p looks like 360p for me. It's been like this the entire time. So disappointed there was no Yuri or Yoona.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
This is more or less what I'm getting. Hard to get a decent shot without motion blur though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Was airing while I slept over here so just put it on now. On the saved stream you have to skip forward over 30 minutes because there's a 'Concert Starting Soon' tag for the entire time. Really smart trimming there guys.

edit: the quality is still pretty rear end, might be worth waiting until it's been capped from MBC.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 22, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Our favorite variety show starring rappers have released another song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9vKfVAd1-o&feature=player_embedded

I like this one better than the one they released last week. On a completely unrelated note, Seohyun's english is really, really good. :stare:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Lyer posted:

I like this one better than the one they released last week. On a completely unrelated note, Seohyun's english is really, really good. :stare:

She's actually done surprising me. Now I just assume she's fantastic at everything.

The LeeSsang song is also fantastic, but I wasn't expecting any less from it either.

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

I was really excited when I saw all the new posts to the thread...I thought there was AWESOME NEW DRAMA.

In other news, after I watched Secret Garden I decided my mother would love it. This lead to my mother and grandmother going nuts over it. Imagine two older Puerto Rican women calling me in tears about the show. When I called my mother to tell her my BF had to go to the emergency room she answered the phone "NOT NOW I'M ON THE LAST EPISODE" and immediately hung up on me. (he's fine, and she talked to me after I called her right back)

My mother is also watching Rooftop Prince, and Coffee Prince. I get at least an email per 2 episodes viewed telling me how much she loves this char, how she sees this actor is in another drama she wants to watch and asking me questions about stuff that happens... Also my mother started signing her emails "Oma" :3:

I'm not terribly close with any of my family, so it's funny that we are bonding over Romantic Korean Dramas.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?

Lyer posted:

Our favorite variety show starring rappers have released another song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9vKfVAd1-o&feature=player_embedded

Oh man this song is great, cant wait to get my hands on the new album.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

yuk_mistress posted:

I was really excited when I saw all the new posts to the thread...I thought there was AWESOME NEW DRAMA.

In other news, after I watched Secret Garden I decided my mother would love it. This lead to my mother and grandmother going nuts over it. Imagine two older Puerto Rican women calling me in tears about the show. When I called my mother to tell her my BF had to go to the emergency room she answered the phone "NOT NOW I'M ON THE LAST EPISODE" and immediately hung up on me. (he's fine, and she talked to me after I called her right back)

My mother is also watching Rooftop Prince, and Coffee Prince. I get at least an email per 2 episodes viewed telling me how much she loves this char, how she sees this actor is in another drama she wants to watch and asking me questions about stuff that happens... Also my mother started signing her emails "Oma" :3:

I'm not terribly close with any of my family, so it's funny that we are bonding over Romantic Korean Dramas.

That is indeed very :3:. I'll try to think of dramas that my own mother loved (though she's Korean), and maybe your mother will enjoy them as well? She loved SG as well.

I'd say go look at The Greatest Love and Scent of a Woman and see if it seems like they're likely to fit her tastes.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
Is there a good spot to find downloads for episodes of We Got Married (specifically WGM2)? I've found them on youtube but they have been cut up to focus on individual couples and parts are missing.

Have these been subbed in their entirety by a team or are they piecemeal from teams who just focus on certain celebrities?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We were mucking about on the desks and tried to mix some kpop into other musics. The waveform on the top is SNSD and the one on the bottom is the French electronic band Justice.

Proof that kpop has a truly huge sound, that wave is insane.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

PitifulLoser posted:

Is there a good spot to find downloads for episodes of We Got Married (specifically WGM2)? I've found them on youtube but they have been cut up to focus on individual couples and parts are missing.

Have these been subbed in their entirety by a team or are they piecemeal from teams who just focus on certain celebrities?

You're not going to find whole episodes of WGM, the couples are subbed by the various forums/groups that care about the pairings, so that's how you'll have to watch them

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well...Rooftop Prince Ep 19. Yeah, I don't understand why it's so dusty in my apartment. Yeah, that must be it. The dust.

:cry:

Hopefully subs for the final episode get released later today. I mean, they could have ended the show at the end of 19. But then I'd have to kill myself.

They've resolved all the present day storylines, so I'm expecting a lot of Joseon era shenanigans for the final ep. But seriously who cares about that stuff WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN WITH THE PRINCE AND PARK HA???

qbert fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 24, 2012

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

T. Couchfucker posted:

You're not going to find whole episodes of WGM, the couples are subbed by the various forums/groups that care about the pairings, so that's how you'll have to watch them

Ah well. I did find this site which has all the videos for the couple I was primarily looking for at least.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Taeyeon was attacked at a fansigning today. :ohdear: Thankfully, one of the fans in attendance intervened before she could be hurt.

It's pretty hosed though. I always thought of the Korean fan culture as a lot tamer than what we have here in the US, but then something like this happens and I don't know what the gently caress.

Video: http://youtu.be/u-JoTIwVXy4

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

PitifulLoser posted:

Ah well. I did find this site which has all the videos for the couple I was primarily looking for at least.

Haha why didn't you say it was them, there isn't an easier couple to find subbed episodes for

Jamesman posted:

Taeyeon was attacked at a fansigning today. :ohdear: Thankfully, one of the fans in attendance intervened before she could be hurt.

It's pretty hosed though. I always thought of the Korean fan culture as a lot tamer than what we have here in the US, but then something like this happens and I don't know what the gently caress.

Video: http://youtu.be/u-JoTIwVXy4

Really hosed up and not cool at all, you would think SM could provide better security for their stars

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
One day I too hope to impress a member of SNSD by slaying a wild animal. That dude has got it made

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I'm guessing Taeyeon has a huge fear of bugs. It's only a moth, but she keeps on flinching at it. Still cute as poo poo though. drat they haven't gotten any rest at all have they? Concert on Sun, Mon, fly back on Tues-Wed, and promoting on Thurs. Not to mention music core filming on Fri.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Lyer posted:

drat they haven't gotten any rest at all have they? Concert on Sun, Mon, fly back on Tues-Wed, and promoting on Thurs. Not to mention music core filming on Fri.

Idols barely ever do, most notably T-ara, who got so exhausted they called out their piece of poo poo CEO about it on tv, which was incredible.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

T. Couchfucker posted:

Idols barely ever do, most notably T-ara, who got so exhausted they called out their piece of poo poo CEO about it on tv, which was incredible.

I think I saw that, if it's the same thing. They all complained about needing a vacation and being overworked, and then Hyomin finished up by trolling them and saying she thinks their schedule is just fine and that she doesn't need any breaks.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

T. Couchfucker posted:

By Soyeon of all members,who is supposed to be traditional to a fault.

How do these situations play in Korea? Variety shows seem to push that idols work to exhaustion. Beyond a slight feeling of empathy you tend to see more comments that suggest idols should just work harder.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Speaking of which, T-ara is going to be a nine member group, until the next time Kim Kwangsoo decides to change poo poo around for no reason. :rolleyes: And one of the new members is 14 years old. I hope she's ok with working 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, 364 days a year.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Where did you get that idea? Drinks spiked with superglue, water pistols filled with soy sauce and vinegar to the eyes, the unchecked lynch mob power of netizens, sasaeng fans... It's scary.

edit: oh.... :doh: that'll teach me not to watch the video first. But here, some sasaeng news articles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp8wZHV3Taw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QazdrIw7Vc

El Graplurado fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 25, 2012

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

T. Couchfucker posted:

Haha why didn't you say it was them, there isn't an easier couple to find subbed episodes for

Yeah but I wanted to just see the show in its entirety from the beginning. I don't like jumping around. Even though these are entirely contained storylines that don't really require anything else. I thought what I was watching was the entire episode until a few episodes in when they started to replay small sections and make notes that that was because the show was cutting to a segment on the other couple.

Also, are there any sort of labor laws in Korea that would prevent someone so young from working so much? Is it circumvented by weird loopholes like declaring entertainers as private contractors or mucking about with what is actually considered "work?"

pitlo fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 25, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

PitifulLoser posted:

Yeah but I wanted to just see the show in its entirety from the beginning. I don't like jumping around. Even though these are entirely contained storylines that don't really require anything else. I thought what I was watching was the entire episode until a few episodes in when they started to replay small sections and make notes that that was because the show was cutting to a segment on the other couple.

Also, are there any sort of labor laws in Korea that would prevent someone so young from working so much? Is it circumvented by weird loopholes like declaring entertainers as private contractors or mucking about with what is actually considered "work?"

I know in Japan, they ban minors from working in the early AM hours, so some of the Korean idols working over there were talking about how they had to go back to their hotel rooms while the adults filmed a bit more.

I don't think there is a law for entertainers; something about how it should be their choice whether they decide to work overtime to get more money/fame. Obviously, normal labor/work is restricted for minors for their protection, but with entertainers being sort of independent and not paid by the hour, I think the legal part gets tricky.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rooftop Prince had a wonderful ending, and is totally worth watching for anyone interested.

I'm through Ep 9 of The King 2Hearts right now, and the show is really well-written compared to the other k-dramas I've seen. I'm happy that there's no reliance on huge coincidences or leaps of logic. Also kind of hilarious to me that SNSD becomes kind of a major subplot for one character (in particular Tiffany) and I also recognize the princess actress from early WGM! She instantly became my favorite character on the show when she loving jumped off a cliff without hesitation to avoid the bad guys.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

qbert posted:

Rooftop Prince had a wonderful ending, and is totally worth watching for anyone interested.

I'm through Ep 9 of The King 2Hearts right now, and the show is really well-written compared to the other k-dramas I've seen. I'm happy that there's no reliance on huge coincidences or leaps of logic. Also kind of hilarious to me that SNSD becomes kind of a major subplot for one character (in particular Tiffany) and I also recognize the princess actress from early WGM! She instantly became my favorite character on the show when she loving jumped off a cliff without hesitation to avoid the bad guys.

Oh good, someone's watching it!

It finished on the same day Rooftop did, and it had a pretty good ending as well. Sort of predictable, and a little bit rushed, but overall, good.
The princess was one of my favorite characters, and the actress is, in my opinion, on par with LSG and Ha Jiwon. Cried a lot near the end thanks to the phenomenal acting of everyone involved.

It was marred, however, by EXTREMELY CONSPICUOUS PRODUCT PLACEMENT ADVERTISING that honestly jerked me away from my immersion with the drama, and a little bit unrealistic political parts. It's like someone with only basic knowledge of politics and familiarity with conspiracy theories tried to write the political parts, and it's really cringe-worthy at times. The foreign actors are also all terrible. And while it might not be obvious to non-Koreans, there are definitely political overtones in there against the current president and his party. But all these are the production-side's problems. The cast is absolutely phenomenal, and despite the sometimes weird or contrite situations, there are definitely heart-warming and absolutely gut-wretchingly-sad moments that make you cry.

Overall, I'd say it's a good drama, but not on par with the great ones. I wouldn't recommend it unconditionally as I would do with the Moon that Embraced the Sun; I would only recommend it if someone's looking for a politics-based romance or something related to North-South relations. If the production had gone better, with better editing and polish, and if the goddamned product placement ads weren't there, this would have been an legendary drama with the amount of talent the cast showed.

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

I'm thinking I have created a monster with my mother. I got the following email from her today about the Rooftop Prince finale:

My Mom posted:

I just finished watching it...you're going to Love it!! =D; applause...watched it on https://www.krdrama.org
I saw it before you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
love,
ooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I got this email right while I was at work. Just when I get good and mad at her for bragging I come home to find this surprise from her in my mailbox.

(it's a Coffee Prince T-shirt)
I think Coffee Prince is her favorite one so far!

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
It still devastates me that i will never see Lee Eon act in something new, i absolutely loved him in Coffee Prince and Chil Woo.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

Oh good, someone's watching it!

The King 2 Hearts is the forerunner for my favourite drama of the year (though Queen In Hyun's Man might beat it if everything stays as incredible as it is) and i recommend it to everyone. The English speaking parts were unforgivably bad at times, and frequently were given to Russian "actors," as though there was no real need to make the distinction. That's the only thing that shook me out of the show. I didn't mind the product placement so much, or i'm so unfamiliar with the products placed i just glossed over them.

I wasn't convinced at first, but the show just got so good as it went along. The tension ramped up, John Mayer became less cartoony, the political ramifications became somewhat more believable (in a Boys' Own Adventure way), and boy did it wrench every emotion out of me. The show's strength was definitely in the acting. The main actors are both fantastic, but it's the secondary characters that make the show for me, especially Eun Shi Kyung and Queen Mother Yang Seon.

The last episode has just been subtitled. Finger's crossed they don't mess it up. All reports say they haven't.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

El Graplurado posted:

The King 2 Hearts is the forerunner for my favourite drama of the year (though Queen In Hyun's Man might beat it if everything stays as incredible as it is) and i recommend it to everyone. The English speaking parts were unforgivably bad at times, and frequently were given to Russian "actors," as though there was no real need to make the distinction. That's the only thing that shook me out of the show. I didn't mind the product placement so much, or i'm so unfamiliar with the products placed i just glossed over them.

I wasn't convinced at first, but the show just got so good as it went along. The tension ramped up, John Mayer became less cartoony, the political ramifications became somewhat more believable (in a Boys' Own Adventure way), and boy did it wrench every emotion out of me. The show's strength was definitely in the acting. The main actors are both fantastic, but it's the secondary characters that make the show for me, especially Eun Shi Kyung and Queen Mother Yang Seon.

The last episode has just been subtitled. Finger's crossed they don't mess it up. All reports say they haven't.
You won't be disappointed.
Also, yeah, I think I ended up liking the secondary love line more than the Ha Ji-won and LSG one. I tried a lot in the (last two ep major spoilers)death scene and the whole message to the princess one. The last goodbye scene on the castle walls where she sang to him was heartbreaking. Why did you have to die Shi-kyung :(

Product placement wise, yeah, it's probably more obvious to someone who's been watching a bunch of other Korean shows and their advertisements, etc. Having also worked a little in the area, I think I spot them more easily. The most obvious ones that come to mind are: the Galaxy Note + Tab, shoes, Benz cars, and a few others.

I mean, come on. There are obviously some parts that are added in there PURELY for advertising Oh, wear this fancy pair of sneakers THAT DO NOT FIT YOUR ELEGANT DRESS, DEAR PRINCESS. And in another ep: OH YOUR SHOES ARE UNTIED LEMME ZOOM IN CLOSE ON THE BRANDING. Oh, and LET US GET THIS SMOOTHIE WITH THE LABEL CONVENIENTLY DISPLAYED OFF OF THE TABLE AND HAVE ME SIP IT

The ones done slightly better would be the fridge in the first kiss scene, the fishing chairs inthe Shi-kyung + gyu-tae scene near the end, the amusement park scene in the penultimate episode (less obvious if you haven't been there), the various bag gift scenes Oh, here's this heirloom bag (is obviously a new designer bag), and oh, happy birthday dear secretary, have this fancy bag (displays logo), the department stores LSG calling Ha-jiwon and having the store brand in the mirror and background, the KEB bank in various places, the Korean Air 1st class flights, and the smart TV usage. I'm sure there are more than that as well.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 26, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Just finished The King 2 Hearts. Overall I thought the series was pretty consistently great, but one plot line pissed me off so bad that it kind of overshadowed the impact of the last 2 episodes.

I kept telling myself over and over that there's no way the bodyguard could be dead. It just seemed too sudden and melodramatic with the montage of all his happy moments, even after the funeral scene I kept convincing myself that it all must've been a ruse to keep him safe so he could testify against John Mayer or something. But yeah, they totally killed him off and destroyed my absolute favorite relationship on the show just to amp up the drama. Fuuuuuuuuuck, why build that romance up through the whole series just to ruin it at the end?

It also pissed me off because somehow John Mayer got bail for outright murder in front of a dozen witnesses? What the gently caress?

So besides some bumpiness at the end and Archer's accurate assessment of everything being rushed, the series did work fantastically for a good 90% of things. If they had only given me a more satisfying ending...

It's kind of the opposite of Rooftop Prince, which had a really shaky middle, but ended very strongly for me.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
If the magic show bothered me in K2H, should I continue to watchthe rest of the series? Bit too much for a drama.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

TEHJOE posted:

If the magic show bothered me in K2H, should I continue to watchthe rest of the series? Bit too much for a drama.

I would say keep watching, as that scene isn't indicative of the series, and yeah, I too agree it just went on for way too long. The show dials down the villain's cartoonishness a bit as the series goes on.

Honestly, I recommend sticking with the series at least through Ep 7 before making up your mind, as Ep 7 is a huge game-changing episode that shapes the whole series past that point.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
It remains, but becomes less and less a thing. You never have 10 minutes of an episode dedicated to it again, and he becomes a convincing enough villain eventually. The greatness of the show lies elsewhere, though.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

For those of you who care (mostly me), DDD has released the 2nd part of the Yes or No Infinity Challenge special, among other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Me after watching King 2 Hearts episode 7: :sbahj:

• Locked thread