Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

TheFarSide posted:

Columbus, Ohio.

I float a ton between the two Trauma 1 hospitals in the company, never coming anywhere near you guys (I am a sitter, hoping to get my nursing degree through the company). I'm still in awe of the ED/Trauma staff, you guys are fantastic. If you're at the downtown level 1 ED prepare for some interesting days during your rotation. I was there the day all those stabbing victims came in and it's nuts hearing multiple trauma 1/2s come in at the same time, let alone dealing with them.

Colonel Corazon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Colonel Corazon posted:

I float a ton between the two Trauma 1 hospitals in the company, never coming anywhere near you guys (I am a sitter, hoping to get my nursing degree through the company). I'm still in awe of the ED/Trauma staff, you guys are fantastic. If you're at the downtown level 1 ED prepare for some interesting days during your rotation. I was there the day all those stabbing victims came in and it's nuts hearing multiple trauma 1/2s come in at the same time.

As bad as it may sound, this is the type of environment I hope I get to work in someday.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Etrips posted:

As bad as it may sound, this is the type of environment I hope I get to work in someday.

Not bad at all. I'd like to work in ED as well. :) My aunt was an ED nurse for years and the interest has passed onto me.

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Nay, we are but men... ROCK!

Colonel Corazon posted:

I float a ton between the two Trauma 1 hospitals in the company, never coming anywhere near you guys (I am a sitter, hoping to get my nursing degree through the company). I'm still in awe of the ED/Trauma staff, you guys are fantastic. If you're at the downtown level 1 ED prepare for some interesting days during your rotation. I was there the day all those stabbing victims came in and it's nuts hearing multiple trauma 1/2s come in at the same time, let alone dealing with them.

That would be the location - and I was there that night, too. I was up on 3 in the trauma/surgical ICU. I've done some days in that ED during school, but none with the autonomy I'll have now that I'm done with all that. So, it'll be a new/fun experience and I can't wait.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I need some advice from fellow nurses about shift work.

I am currently a float RN and I work 8 hour shifts day/eve at 0.8 FTE. It's mostly split 50/50 but in the summer I work more eves. I love being float, and 0.8 is perfect for me. I like day shifts because I can be productive with the rest of my day, and I hate eve shifts because I can't do anything. I would love to be able to sign up for some art classes or get back into dance, but I can't join anything with a set schedule because work would interfere at some point. Also eve shifts mess with my sleep so I end up being awake until 5am anyway doing absolutely nothing (internet and Netflix, basically).

My hospital recently posted a new position for float pool day/night 0.9. I pick up a few night shifts each month so the 0.1 increase wouldn't be noticeable. I would love to get rid of my eve shifts and up until now I thought day/night would be ideal, but now that the opportunity is real I'm having second thoughts.

I would love to be free from 4pm-11pm. However, I would also like to advance my career eventually. Is it true that day/eve is more desirable on a resume than day/night? Not to mention I have a hard time sleeping during the day, and I feel like I don't quite fit in with a lot of the night staff, where I get along great with day/eve staff. The worst part is that I can't stand being bored at work, and night shifts can get pretty boring depending on which unit I'm on (rehab is the worst). Finally, I am of the age where I have to be thinking about if I am going to have babies, and I really don't know if day/eve or day/night would be better.

TL;DR
Do I start day/night so I can take classes and develop my interests and hobbies outside work, but risk being bored and lonely at work? Or do I stay day/eve and sleep when I want and have a good resume but have a boring life half of the time outside of work? Which shifts do you prefer? If you have kids, what works best for you?

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Ive finally qualified as an RN in the UK, am im in the second week of my first job. The job situation here seems to be very mixed at the moment, the hospital i trained in have only been offering hours on the bank and short-ish temporary contracts, whereas the hospital im working in now have been offering plenty of permanent jobs to newly qualified staff. It would be amazing if it wasnt an hours drive away.

I got offered a dermatology ward, day surgery and an orthopedic rehab ward. I went with the ortho ward as I had it in my head that I wanted a proper ward for my first job. Basically its good fun, but completely unexciting. For example no IV anything most of the time. No post op patients, anyone unwell gets shipped out quickly and the biggest concern is making sure everyone gets a walk. I am jealous of everyone working in all of these exciting areas, and sort of hope that starting off somewhere like this isnt going to hold me back from where I want to go next (hopefully acute medical).
But really having a permanent job in a trust that is spending money on training is pretty nice at the moment.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Ive finally qualified as an RN in the UK, am im in the second week of my first job. The job situation here seems to be very mixed at the moment, the hospital i trained in have only been offering hours on the bank and short-ish temporary contracts, whereas the hospital im working in now have been offering plenty of permanent jobs to newly qualified staff. It would be amazing if it wasnt an hours drive away.

I got offered a dermatology ward, day surgery and an orthopedic rehab ward. I went with the ortho ward as I had it in my head that I wanted a proper ward for my first job. Basically its good fun, but completely unexciting. For example no IV anything most of the time. No post op patients, anyone unwell gets shipped out quickly and the biggest concern is making sure everyone gets a walk. I am jealous of everyone working in all of these exciting areas, and sort of hope that starting off somewhere like this isnt going to hold me back from where I want to go next (hopefully acute medical).
But really having a permanent job in a trust that is spending money on training is pretty nice at the moment.

Congratulations on getting qualified and your new job :) Do you mind saying what general area this is? I'll be a qualified RMN in 2 years (hopefully) and hoping to work up north. Any information on what things are like for RMNs, if you happen to know?

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Koivunen posted:

Is it true that day/eve is more desirable on a resume than day/night?

This sounds preposterous. Desirable things on a resume: Charge RN, Preceptor, Auditor, CODE Team

I doubt you'll see much of that in the pool.

I can tell you that I feel a lot better working straight 12-hr days with occasional eves than I ever did working nights; my eve weeks are the weeks when I overeat and sleep poorly. My parts prevent me from having any useful advice for you on procreating. In general, your best move is the one that pays off for the rest of your working life.

ghostwriter80
May 10, 2012

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I am jealous of everyone working in all of these exciting areas, and sort of hope that starting off somewhere like this isnt going to hold me back from where I want to go next (hopefully acute medical).

Congratulations on going through and completing nursing school hell! And congratulations on obtaining your first position!

My advice is to stick it out on that ward for AT LEAST 6 months and then try to move laterally within the same hospital to a new ward that interests you more. Or work for one year at your current ward and then look outside the hospital for a new position.

At least here, the hospitals want to see at least 1 year of experience for new hires. We can't transfer to new units within the hospital until we've worked 6 months on the same unit. And once you have two or three years of experience as a nurse you can write your own ticket and work wherever you want.

I work in acute rehabilitation and it's more Medical-patients-with-some-rehab than Rehab-patients-with-some-medical. So I've kept my skills up with IV's and woundvacs/dressing changes, ostomys, NG tubes, whatever. Regardless of where you are you can learn a ton of valuable skills as a nurse that you will be able to take with you to any nursing job. Nursing is constant on the job training. Once you become confident and comfortable at the bedside, have your bedside manner perfected, and can juggle thirty tasks at once, you are a nurse. All the rest is learned and unit specific. In fact I've found that learning effective time management is probably the biggest problem that new nurses have. It's not whether they are knowledgable enough.

New grads worry about whether they will know enough about pharmacology and pathophysiology to be able to do their jobs when in fact all that stuff comes with experience. Remember, you can always look the information up. You can always ask another nurse for help if you are unfamiliar with a procedure. It's when you have 5,6,7 and 8 patients that all need you at once, how do you manage that situation? How do you prioritize? How do you get all of it done? - that's the real test of nursing.

I like to think of myself as an inglorious waitress that passes medications, as well as food, to the general public. Oh and I'll also wipe your rear end and hold your penis while you piss into a plastic urinal at no extra charge... and you don't have to tip me!! (we also make around the same as full time waitresses - further insult to injury)

-end soap box rant-

Get your experience 6 months AT least and then look for a new job. I know from personal experience that if you quit before 1 year it's very tough to find your next job.

ghostwriter80
May 10, 2012

Koivunen posted:

TL;DR
Do I start day/night so I can take classes and develop my interests and hobbies outside work, but risk being bored and lonely at work? Or do I stay day/eve and sleep when I want and have a good resume but have a boring life half of the time outside of work? Which shifts do you prefer? If you have kids, what works best for you?

Koi, I think you are overthinking the situation. The fact of the matter is that you are a float pool nurse with years of experience. That means that you are thrown into the very worst staffing and patient care situations in the hospital EVERY SHIFT that you work. I have a hell of a lot of respect for you, and all float pool nurses for that matter. It doesn't matter what shift you work.

People want an experienced, reliable, confident, respectful, helpful, and energetic team player when they are looking for the best nurse to hire. I can't see how you would have any trouble in an interview situation. If the jobs are tight where you are then just move. Hospitals are always starving for experienced nurses and especially float pool PRN nurses. Who cares what shift you worked as long as you aren't lazy.

ghostwriter80 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 18, 2012

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Koivunen posted:

TL;DR

I got preggers buddies on day/nights and they do just fine.

You'll adjust eventually to nights, but just remember that sleep is for the dead, the living drink caffeine. I suggest scheduling 4-6 nights in a row. By day 3 your body has adjusted and its just like days except dark. I don't think employers give two shits about evenings versus nights other than you ability to be flexible with their needs.

I love 12 hours shifts because then I only do 3 of them a week and pick up a bonus for $$ as I have no other real obligations other than my lady. I know my coworkers with kids do nights but a lot of the time a spouse will be home to care for them while they sleep. Sometimes they'll cut into sleep time to be up to take care of them for whatever reason, but usually not more than once in a stretch of shifts.

Coffee is a favorite, a bizarrely common amount of people drink mountain dew or diet mountain dew to stay up. Our current (and favorite) locum intensitivist has a 64 ounce ultra-jug that he fills up with ice and mountain dew when he comes in at 3AM for the day. Some people just tough it out and stay busy to stay up. Others stay moving, some nap sitting straight up at the charge desk.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

breebellucci posted:

(we also make around the same as full time waitresses - further insult to injury)

-end soap box rant-

Woah, either show me this glorious waitress job with that high of pay, or you are getting extremely taken advantage of, paywise.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Lava Lamp posted:

Woah, either show me this glorious waitress job with that high of pay, or you are getting extremely taken advantage of, paywise.
Work at a higher end $50,70 a plate restaurant pre-booze and you can do it easy. I know waiters pulling in 60k+ with a poo poo ton being undeclared and therefor tax free.

And yes we are being taken advantage of.

ghostwriter80
May 10, 2012

Lava Lamp posted:

You must not know many waiters or waitresses. Or you live in the middle of nowhere. Like the poster above me already stated, if you work at a decent restaurant you make bank, and it's tax free. If you work at a high end restuarant in the city you can make six figures - again, mostly tax free.

I don't believe that the money that we make is anywhere equal to the amount of stress and responsibility that we constantly deal with. I also don't think that I should make the same amount of money as nurses with less education, and especially those who have received their education in Africa or any other place in the third world.

That's probably the reason that our salaries are so insulting. Because there is such a glaring disparity in the education, professionalism, and work ethic between nurses. If I won't do the job, a foreign nurse will, and he/she will do it for $10 less.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Wow that's a pretty hosed up statement you just made there.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

breebellucci posted:

You must not know many waiters or waitresses. Or you live in the middle of nowhere. Like the poster above me already stated, if you work at a decent restaurant you make bank, and it's tax free. If you work at a high end restuarant in the city you can make six figures - again, mostly tax free.

I don't believe that the money that we make is anywhere equal to the amount of stress and responsibility that we constantly deal with. I also don't think that I should make the same amount of money as nurses with less education, and especially those who have received their education in Africa or any other place in the third world.

That's probably the reason that our salaries are so insulting. Because there is such a glaring disparity in the education, professionalism, and work ethic between nurses. If I won't do the job, a foreign nurse will, and he/she will do it for $10 less.

I agree. I think it's ridiculous that I, a white male, have to be paid the same amount as women and black people.

What the gently caress.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Hey, just loving quit if all them foreigners are cramping your style. I mean with all your education and what not, this career is really below you. There's a new grad out there just dying to be in your position and they'd most certainly work for $10 less if it meant they could work as a nurse.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

breebellucci posted:

I also don't think that I should make the same amount of money as nurses with less education, and especially those who have received their education in Africa or any other place in the third world.

LOL. I work on a floor where I am the minority, having been trained in the United States. All of the nurses I work with who received their education in Africa, Asia, etc are great nurses and great loving people. But you know, I better get paid more than them 'cause you know, America. :rolleyes:

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

PS the educational standards for nurses internationally (including much of Africa) are much higher than the US.

ghostwriter80
May 10, 2012
I'm not sure where you guys work at but I live and work near Washington DC and there is a huge foreign population here.

I work with nurses that did not receive the level of education I received, there's no loving way. Their nursing practice and personal standards regarding patient care are the worst I've ever seen outside of a nursing home. I realize that it's racist and irrational to blanket a whole continent as incompetent because sure there are a few nurses that do care and continue to learn and grow. But the majority of foreign nurses that I have encountered have in no way received the level of education that I have, there's just no loving way, none.

Tell me how as a new graduate nurse three years ago I was the best nurse on the entire unit? With nurses from every African nation and 5, 10, 20+ years of nursing experience. I'm not going to continue to argue this because it's largely personal opinion. I agree that if I still lived in Delaware that I wouldn't feel so strongly, because there aren't as many foreign nurses in Delaware and the majority of nurses that I worked with there received Bachelors degrees from reputable American Universities.

Are you going to tell me that there is no difference between nurses who receive a BSN from a competitive and reputable University versus those who go to a community college and bang out an ASN? gently caress off.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
This may surprise you, but there are not very good nurses out there with a BSN from an reputable American Universities too.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

breebellucci posted:

Are you going to tell me that there is no difference between nurses who receive a BSN from a competitive and reputable University versus those who go to a community college and bang out an ASN? gently caress off.

There may be a huge difference in education there may be none. I have yet to see any real data on the subject and therefore am relegated to speculation. The point, however, is that you're an insufferable shitlord working off anecdotal evidence. Go find a peer reviewed study [or better yet a meta analysis or systematic review] or accept the null hypothesis you piece of poo poo.

I had a BSN nurse bring me an apneic-breathing patient and be nonchalante about it because she's an idiot with no critical thinking. Sternal rub and some other noxious stimuli got no response so we RSI'd the guy under five minutes after arrival. When she got called the gently caress out on it cause I was lollin' about it to everyone who would listen, she said "but the doctor saw him earlier and said it was OK!" She's the same nurse that told a CNA that the difference between an associates degree and a BSN is that "We know more".

So go get buttfucked, or find me peer reviewed large scale observational data supporting your claims. With your BSN I'm sure you took a research methods and design class and likely have access to CINAHL.

Roki B fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 22, 2012

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

breebellucci posted:

With nurses from every African nation
...Really? :what:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
breebellucci, I think I may have forgotten to mention that you should kill yourself. You should put a gun in your mouth, aim it at your pons and then pull the trigger. Don't gently caress this up and shoot off your jaw. Aim for the brainstem (You know where this is because you have a University Education) and use a large caliber.

CardiacEnzymes
Mar 27, 2010

breebellucci posted:

I'm not sure where you guys work at but I live and work near Washington DC and there is a huge foreign population here.
I'm not going to continue to argue this because it's largely personal opinion.

I live and work IN DC, and my personal opinion is that you are an idiot.
Why don't you and our former mayor move somewhere those dirty foreigners can't get you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/marion-barry-philippines_n_1454191.html

CardiacEnzymes fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 22, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I too hate foreign nurses with their relaxed and caring demeanors, cool childhood stories and delicious lunch foods. I much prefer 22 year old newly graduated American blowhards who think they are the best because of knowledge and get the patients all worked up with their flailing and panic face.

raton fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 22, 2012

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

breebellucci posted:

Wow. This happens in every field, and it seems to happen based on jelously of working with someone who does not have 5-6 figures in school debt.

Yeah, also gently caress state colleges, they must be pieces of poo poo as well, am I right!

Also, I love how you imply a community college is not reputable.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

breebellucci posted:

The community college I just graduated from has a better reputation and better hire rate than the rest of the nursing schools in my area, including the BSN schools. Thanks for generalizing, though!

Zeo
Oct 15, 2009

JAF07 posted:

The community college I just graduated from has a better reputation and better hire rate than the rest of the nursing schools in my area, including the BSN schools. Thanks for generalizing, though!

My community college was the same way. Generally our students were well known for the difficulty of our program (being accelerated), and our clinical skills upon graduation. We had no entrance or exit exams and had a 99% pass rate first attempt on the NCLEX. Our class size came from 80 in Nursing I down to about 25 passing in Nursing IV pretty fast.

However, the studies show BSN students catch up very quickly and surpass those with ASN/AAS degrees. Plus they show they have a better ability to analyse and apply evidence based research and critical thinking. This doesn't mean anything on an individual level, but it is important for us to recognize these trends over the entire nursing population.

There are many studies and a few meta studies that really can't be disputed.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3399699 is one meta-analysis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14506121 shows an inversely proportional mortality rate in hospitals with more Bachelor's prepared nurses.

Do some searching on NIH. Look at some of the 'Related Citations' and 'Review' links on the right side.

Zeo fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 22, 2012

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Holy poo poo, a ton of generalizations on both ends of the spectrum. Let's move past this derail.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

breebellucci posted:

I'm not going to continue to argue this because it's largely personal opinion.

You're not going to continue to argue this because you're a horrible person with indefensible opinions.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
BSN nurses sunk more time into it and are therefore more likely to be committed in their off time to their job. There's nothing about their training that makes them better, just motivational differences (over the population, individually there are lots of exceptions) in the people that make up associates vs bachelors nurses.

Zeo
Oct 15, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

BSN nurses sunk more time into it and are therefore more likely to be committed in their off time to their job. There's nothing about their training that makes them better, just motivational differences (over the population, individually there are lots of exceptions) in the people that make up associates vs bachelors nurses.

Right which is why I think some of the analyses are silly. I'd like to put a bunch of DNPs/PhDs/MSNs in hospitals and review some of the trends vs BSNs. It would probably be similar to BSN vs ADN/AAS.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zeo posted:

Right which is why I think some of the analyses are silly. I'd like to put a bunch of DNPs/PhDs/MSNs in hospitals and review some of the trends vs BSNs. It would probably be similar to BSN vs ADN/AAS.

Or DO vs MD.

Immigrants rule though and if I had to choose between a hospital of just immigrants or just natives I'd take the immigrants every time. Not because they're better or worse but just because they're less likely to be insufferably character-less boring ninnies.

raton fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 22, 2012

Zeo
Oct 15, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Or DO vs MD.

Immigrants rule though and if I had to choose between a hospital of just immigrants or just natives I'd take the immigrants every time. Not because they're better or worse but just because they're less likely to be insufferably character-less boring ninnies.

They really work their asses off and WANT to do the job versus many of the blonde haired blue eyed valley girl nurses with boob jobs I know who think they are entitled to it. But that's ok because they get knocked up by some doctor and become stay at home moms anyway. (While we're generalizing.)

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Sheep-Goats posted:

ADN programs are almost universally more competitive to get into, because of the vastly lower cost of tuition. It's pretty well known that in most ADN programs, anything less than straight A's means you can forget a chance of entry. I'd say that's a pretty significant investment. (not withstanding the fact that you can't get an ADN in "two years" and whoever still thinks that just needs to take a quick basic look at a program outline)

ghostwriter80
May 10, 2012

Zeo posted:

They really work their asses off and WANT to do the job versus many of the blonde haired blue eyed valley girl nurses with boob jobs I know who think they are entitled to it. But that's ok because they get knocked up by some doctor and become stay at home moms anyway. (While we're generalizing.)

Do they? Why don't you come work a day on my unit, or better yet, stay as a patient for 10 days, and see which nurses you will be happier to see at shift change. You would quickly become a hypocrite that's for drat sure.

@CardiacEnzymes - I don't know where you work but I bet it's not Washington Hospital Center and it's certainly not National Rehabilitation Hospital, I can tell you that already.

I have clearly pissed off all the ASN/ADN nurses on this forum. I know you are all smart because you fought your way into the few clinical spots that your community college had to offer. You forget that nursing programs are extremely competitive no matter where you apply. You think it's easy to get into a nursing program at a decent University? Luckily for me, only 250 people applied to my schools program back in 2005... oh wait no it was tens of thousands of people that applied from all over the East Coast.

Why are hospitals shifting to only hiring BSNs?

I know that ADN nurses are just as good as BSN nurses and twice as proud. Have fun going back to school to get a BSN so you can make the same amount of money. And yes, you can tell which nurses have a BSN and which have an ADN. Just like you can tell which nurses have difficulty understanding and speaking English which shouldn't even be a loving issue for Christs sake.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

breebellucci posted:

And yes, you can tell which nurses have a BSN and which have an ADN. Just like you can tell which nurses have difficulty understanding and speaking English which shouldn't even be a loving issue for Christs sake.

Are you...

Are you mad bro?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tufty
May 21, 2006

I don't live or work in America, none of that stuff applies to me, and I don't even know what half of those acronyms mean. Guess what? You still have deplorable opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone in every job is way too proud of what they do.