Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Death Himself posted:

It's going to be really buggy though.

I was just going to say the same thing. Has BI said anything about recognizing their games are buggy a poo poo and are trying to do something about it for the next release, or are they just going business as usual?

Arma 2 was interesting, but it doesn't quite do enough great stuff to make it worth all the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

First of all, Binding of Isaac is a great top down action game that's a roguelike fused with smash TV and Legend of Zelda, as weird as that sounds.

Isaac may not run that well, actually. It's a flash game, which means it's pretty CPU-intensive. More so than a game of its graphical complexity should be, anyway.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't know that I'd call Binding of Isaac "great" either. It's not terrible, but a bit of a letdown compared to Super Meat Boy both in humor and gameplay.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Soul Glo posted:

Last week I bought a pc that's capable of gaming for the first time in years. Half-Life 2 was the last computer game I've played (but I do have a 360 and a PS3). My machine is not a powerhouse (i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 GB Radeon HD 7570), but it runs Diablo 3 decently, so that's the kind of benchmark I've got to work with.

I'm kinda looking into picking up some older/less spec demanding titles I've missed out on. At the top of my list are Civilization 5, StarCraft 1/2 (I've never played the series, but the sequel looks so pretty) and Minecraft.

Definately get Minecraft, it's such a unique game that changed the industry a lot. I wish I could forget everything I know about Minecraft and start playing it again, without knowing anything about it. Also try out Terraria, a bit similar to Minecraft except it's 2d with more focus on combat.

Mount & Blade: Warband is another safe bet for a unique PC game. It's very rough around the edges, but there is no other game that simulates medieval combat as well. There's also a large multiplayer community (CRPG) and tons of mods.

For strategy games nothing will beat Civ 5, Shogun 2 and Anno 1404. They are all with a different focus. Shogun is based around warfare and offers little else. Anno 1404 is the true city building & trading game, but features some awkward battles. Civ 5 is somewhere inbetween and sadly can get pretty boring. But it's worth checking out anyway! Out of these three I'd recommend Anno 1404 the most, I could literally not stop playing it or thinking about it.

Mirror's Edge is cheap and worth checking out if you haven't already. I understand that people felt ripped off by this game when it was 50$, but it often drops below 10$ on origin sales. Great gameplay, music, graphics but a bit short.

Lastly, if you want the definitive PC gaming RPG (which is also out for 360 for some reason), buy Two Worlds. It's a game that is so bad it's good, like Van Damme movies. It literally takes every RPG cliche and magnifies it, without being aware of it. The developers didn't intend for the game to be so hilarious, but it did and that's why it's one of the greatest games ever made. Make sure you try out riding a horse! Got two similar swords in your inventory? Glue them together into a new sword with double the power (yeah). The sequel is sadly not as interesting because it's a legitimately good game which lost a lot of charm of the predecessor.

edit: If you just upgraded the graphics card you could turn your PC into a powerhouse. i5 and 8GB RAM is more than enough for newest games. 560ti would be a good match but I'd wait for nVidia to drop and pricematch the 660.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 21, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

404notfound posted:

Isaac may not run that well, actually. It's a flash game, which means it's pretty CPU-intensive. More so than a game of its graphical complexity should be, anyway.

I don't see why an i5 would struggle with it. Depends on the model, obviously, but it's not like he has an ancient single core.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Most flash games don't use the same amount of resources as Binding of Isaac. I read that it's so resource-intensive because it uses scaled vector graphics rather than sprites.

An i5 will run it fine. Hell it runs very well on my laptop's mobile i5 which is dual core.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
My poo poo SU7300 CULV processor runs it pretty well too. Only chugs when there's a crazy amount of stuff flying around.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
"Battlefield developer DICE has its own fancy engine technology that goes by the name Frostbite 2, and now the studio teases that some 2013 titles using it will need a 64-bit OS. "

So 64 bit might now be necessary to even run some games. I imagine the games DICE are talking about will be graphically intense. Or is this just a clever ploy to sell more Window 8 machines? Would be nice seeing more engines designed to take advantage of using a 64 bit OS and all the goodies that entails.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Mirror's Edge 2? Oh pretty please with sugar on top! :allears:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Actually, Mirror's Edge's visual design was great in part because it didn't really need super per-twinpixel metashader hypertritropic wizardry; the white-concrete-and-shiny-metal design allowed it to look almost photorealistic with relatively little features. (Portal 2 did the same thing.)

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

NihilCredo posted:

Actually, Mirror's Edge's visual design was great in part because it didn't really need super per-twinpixel metashader hypertritropic wizardry; the white-concrete-and-shiny-metal design allowed it to look almost photorealistic with relatively little features. (Portal 2 did the same thing.)

Yeah, the art style was definitely awesome and did its job to make it look realistic, but it's a bit of a hen / egg situation because, IIRC, they specifically went for that style with very few colors and lots of white and not very pronounced textures because they had some pretty fancy lighting technology going on (something about light scattering off of surfaces and illuminating other surfaces based on the original's color and texture or something like that) which would have been far too expensive with a different art style. Or so I heard.

Either way, in conclusion, they absolutely did an awesome job with ME's graphics and I hope they keep this up for the sequel.

But I have a lot of faith (heh) in DICE here because they've steadily improved the Battlefield series with each title (in terms of graphics and art style) so I'm optimistic for ME2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Burning Mustache posted:

Mirror's Edge 2? Oh pretty please with sugar on top! :allears:

That quote doesn't necessarily imply there will be a DICE game released that year, although it's a safe bet that if there is, it's probably going to be another Battlefield title. The engine is being shared across all of EA pretty much. EA invested so heavily in DICE just for it. Expect another Need For Speed game this year using it, and who knows what else.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That quote doesn't necessarily imply there will be a DICE game released that year, although it's a safe bet that if there is, it's probably going to be another Battlefield title. The engine is being shared across all of EA pretty much. EA invested so heavily in DICE just for it. Expect another Need For Speed game this year using it, and who knows what else.

I'd also settle for Battlefield 2143, provided they actually bring back the huge maps and gameplay BF2 / 2142 had (I haven't played BF3 but from what I've heard it didn't quite live up to the expectations that it would play like BF2 again and "feel" like a PC game first and foremost).

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Black Ops 2 looks dumb as hell but I'm thankful for it just because now that the trend of BF following CoD stylings has been established, the next BF title will probably be futuristic.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

There's also Ghost Recon: Future Soldier coming out in a couple of weeks if we're talking futuristic shooters. (I'm going to get eaten alive by grognards but I didn't actually have fun that one time I tried GRAW, so I'm actually more interested since they're apparently moving towards a more arcade style for this title.)

At least, the promotional short film looks fun and Batman-esque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-wAzlqzXH0

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 21, 2012

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Manac0r posted:

"Battlefield developer DICE has its own fancy engine technology that goes by the name Frostbite 2, and now the studio teases that some 2013 titles using it will need a 64-bit OS. "

So 64 bit might now be necessary to even run some games. I imagine the games DICE are talking about will be graphically intense. Or is this just a clever ploy to sell more Window 8 machines? Would be nice seeing more engines designed to take advantage of using a 64 bit OS and all the goodies that entails.
Seeing as how for the last 6+ years you'd have to go way out of your way on some crazy Atom setup to not have a 64 bit processor, and Windows has had decent support for almost as long, it's about time.

Granted when the biggest advantage is accessing over 4gb of memory and the consoles you're porting to/from only have 512mb which is even then shared with the gpu I can see how it hasn't really been a priority.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The Milkman posted:

Seeing as how for the last 6+ years you'd have to go way out of your way on some crazy Atom setup to not have a 64 bit processor, and Windows has had decent support for almost as long, it's about time.

Granted when the biggest advantage is accessing over 4gb of memory and the consoles you're porting to/from only have 512mb which is even then shared with the gpu I can see how it hasn't really been a priority.

True, but I'd like them to explicitly say "Win7 or higher" just so you wouldn't have "But my XP IS 64bit :qq:" whining everywhere.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Does anyone know where to find a truly legitimate microsoft xbox 360 controller wireless receiver?

On microsoft's own website, the 'where to buy' link is broken. It's really frustrating that they're trying to force people into buying the overpriced controller for their PC.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Kashwashwa posted:

Does anyone know where to find a truly legitimate microsoft xbox 360 controller wireless receiver?

On microsoft's own website, the 'where to buy' link is broken. It's really frustrating that they're trying to force people into buying the overpriced controller for their PC.

Amazon.com?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Kashwashwa posted:

They are hard as hell to find as they aren't sold individually anymore, only with the bundle kit that is like $80. Pretty much all of them on Amazon/Ebay are knockoffs. What makes matters worse is that the legit ones have a known fuse problem that the knockoffs do not, so even if you do find one you will likely just run into problems down the road. I finally just caved and ordered a $10 knockoff from Dealextreme. It sucks that you have to do the manual driver install thing but other than that it functions perfectly.

On a different note I'm really sad that cheats have been relegated to trainers. I was playing Crysis 2 the other day and felt like the suit just runs out of energy way too fast to do anything really neat with it. So I decided to turn on a cheat for unlimited energy for kicks but it turns out Crytek disabled all of the console commands in both SP/MP because it might affect their lovely MP that no one bothers with. I ended up having to download a trainer to get it going which is pretty dumb. Blah blah achievements multiplayer integrity blah but sometimes I just want to dick around in SP.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 22, 2012

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Your chances of getting a legit Microoft wireless 360 receiver is insanely low this current day and age. Just get a knock-off from Amazon.

I even stopped using my wireless 360 receiver because certain games did not support the wireless 360 pad properly and well, I'm sitting right at my PC and the cord doesn't matter that much.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
What a load of poo poo. This is the first time I really feel like a rabbid child yelling "micro$$$haft!"

I actually did by a knockoff from dealextreme, but the one I have doesn't work.

This is the problem I'm having:
http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/140780-guide-xbox-360-gaming-receiver-windows-7-connection-driver-problems-2.html#post1230986

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Kashwashwa posted:

What a load of poo poo. This is the first time I really feel like a rabbid child yelling "micro$$$haft!"

I actually did by a knockoff from dealextreme, but the one I have doesn't work.

This is the problem I'm having:
http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/140780-guide-xbox-360-gaming-receiver-windows-7-connection-driver-problems-2.html#post1230986

I bought a legit one, and that doesn't loving work either.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
I have had an official one for over two and half years, if memory serves correct, and I've never had a problem. Still using it now. Go figure.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
It's funny, we've had color lightmaps since Quake 2, but no one realized how awesome it'd look if you cranked the light bounce calculations way the hell up until fairly recently.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

microwave casserole posted:

It's funny, we've had color lightmaps since Quake 2, but no one realized how awesome it'd look if you cranked the light bounce calculations way the hell up until fairly recently.

Or, the more likely explanation, and the one that's true, is that until the latest generation of hardware we didn't really have the processing power that was powerful enough to calculate a much higher number of light bounces in real time. They can be pre-computed of course, but that really only looks right in highly-static scenes.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Underwhelming god game From Dust can now be played through Google Chrome, without Ubisoft's DRM. I don't know if you have to be online to play it, but since you download the files and run the game on your own system like any other, instead of streaming the game like OnLive, I assume it'd be fine. There's a free trial of the first couple of levels on the Chrome App store. I'm not sure how much they're charging for the game but I think it's about ten bucks.

Has anyone gotten any enjoyment out of the game? I thought the demo was nice, although it does that horrible "cursor is a thing on the ground that moves as if with joystick control even with a mouse" thing that Viva Pinata did. I was wondering if it got horrible to play later on, before I drop money on it.

e: It seems to download files every time you play (though not the entire game, from what I gather from the readme, and it's not a huge download in any case) so offline play is a no-no. On the plus side it has some bug fixes, better controls, and cloud saving linked to your gmail account.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 23, 2012

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I'm gonna be house sitting for someone with no internet access for a week. What are a couple cool non online games I could throw on my laptop(dual core,4gigsRAM, onboard graphics) to kill some time? Will steam games run offline?

I've already got large amounts of beer and liquor and a few different versions of dwarf fortress to mess around with.

Pookum fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 24, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Has anyone gotten any enjoyment out of the game? I thought the demo was nice, although it does that horrible "cursor is a thing on the ground that moves as if with joystick control even with a mouse" thing that Viva Pinata did. I was wondering if it got horrible to play later on, before I drop money on it.
I really enjoyed it on 360, but I understand the PC port was kind of lovely. It doesn't get super demanding input-wise until a few of the harder post-game challenge levels. You will enjoy it a lot more if you stop thinking about it as a "god game", though. Its closer to Wetrix than Populous.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Pookum posted:

I'm gonna be house sitting for someone with no internet access for a week. What are a couple cool non online games I could throw on my laptop(dual core,4gigsRAM, onboard graphics) to kill some time? Will steam games run offline?

I've already got large amounts of beer and liquor and a few different versions of dwarf fortress to mess around with.

Terraria is pretty fun. It's sort of like 2d Minecraft, but it fills my OCD Dwarf Fortress itch in a way Minecraft doesn't.
You'll need to wrestle with Steam for a bit to get it into offline mode. Before you leave for the house, get it to the point where your laptop is disconnected and you can run games after restarting. You need to get offline mode going in a situation where you're still connected to the internet, basically.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Torchlight, any Paradox Grand Strategy game besides HoI3, Everyday Genius Square Logic, Neverwinter Nights plus a metric assload of modules and Audiosurf.

posting smiling
Jun 22, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Everyday Genius Square Logic

I love this game, but I think if I were left alone with it in a house for a week I would be driven insane.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I wouldn't, but then again I have 65 hours played of it and all but the "Clear one whole region" cheevo so you could argue I already am insane. :v:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Pookum posted:

Binding of Isaac would be a good choice if you like randomized action games.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Paradox still didn't fix HoI3 ? I want to believe...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Pookum posted:

Pick up Baldur's Gate II or Fallout from GOG, they're both DRM-free so have no problem running offline. Also they are both incredible games that everyone should play :colbert:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pookum posted:

Most single player Steam games will run offline, provided you:
1. Have it set to remember your username/password and automatically log you in.
2. Set Steam to offline mode before you lose your internet.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pookum posted:

Steam games will run offline if they have no DRM at all (most do, though) or if Steam's offline mode works for you (it does for me, but some people have reported major problems with it) and they don't otherwise require net access (Anno 2070 won't work because it has an extra layer of always-online DRM, Team Fortress 2 won't work because it's multiplayer only, etc). Make sure all the games you want to play are up to date and then put it into offline mode manually before you disconnect for best results.

As for actual game recommendations:
- roguelikes that don't require a 200-key keyboard (Dredmor is on Steam, DoomRL and ToME4 are freeware, all play nice with laptops)
- older (or old-school) RPGs - Fallout, Planescape Torment, Arcanum, Avernum, Avadon, Geneforge
- if you have an external mouse, Thief 1/2, Deus Ex, or older FPSes like Descent, Duke3d, Blood, Doom, Quake
- If you have a controller, Iji, Cave Story, La-Mulana, Treasure Adventure Game, Hyper Princess Pitch
- Actually, play Iji even if you don't have a controller, it kicks rear end
- most other stuff from GOG, it's all DRM-free and most of it is old enough to play nice with integrated graphics

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
Dunno if it's your type of game, but Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod is still fun as hell and you can easily sink hours in the triple digits into that game. It will also run on ancient computers and can be played easily on laptops or even netbooks.

It's got a pretty steep learning curve though, especially with the 1.13 mod and if you've never played it before, but it's absolutely worth to stick around and get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Wait, is Treasure Adventure Game actually good? I just kinda ignored it on GOG and lumped it in with Teen Agent as free because they couldn't get people to actually buy it.

• Locked thread