Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Hephaestus
Aug 7, 2010

im fucking furious.

NaturalLow posted:

A negative post count is usually a good way to tell whether or not someone is actually trying to make a point at all rather than just trolling/trying get reaction out of other goons.
So you're saying that Abe, Lowtax, and Ozma are just trolling when they post? In other words postcount stereotyping is dumb.

On the topic at hand, :q: is one of my favorite smilies and I don't know what it's from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:
I think I'm losing my mind! Was :v: changed recently (perhaps in the last 24 hours) and then changed back? I saw a really weird lovely mspaint man and some illegible words cropping up over and over, got curious and hit 'Quote' to see what it was, and was surprised to see it was : v :...

However now that I check again, it seems to be back to normal.

Did anybody else notice this? Maybe even have a screenshot?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Pixotic posted:

I think I'm losing my mind! Was :v: changed recently (perhaps in the last 24 hours) and then changed back? I saw a really weird lovely mspaint man and some illegible words cropping up over and over, got curious and hit 'Quote' to see what it was, and was surprised to see it was : v :...

However now that I check again, it seems to be back to normal.

Did anybody else notice this? Maybe even have a screenshot?

The goons who made that post could have edited while you read it. Like, he used the wrong smiley, then changed it to :v: before you hit quote. That's my guess.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

No Hephaestus posted:

So you're saying that Abe, Lowtax, and Ozma are just trolling when they post? In other words postcount stereotyping is dumb.

On the topic at hand, :q: is one of my favorite smilies and I don't know what it's from.

No, but sometimes it can be a clue if there's some question about whether a poster is joking or not.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just realized all the smilies have alt text.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Look how happy that little dude is.

:parrot:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Nunez posted:

:smaug:

Little late on this, but :smaug: is from this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455895 Where a goon admits to believing that he was a dragon in another life or some bullshit like that.

While I'm here, where do :riot: and :am: come from?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Lance Streetman posted:

While I'm here, where do :riot: and :am: come from?

:riot: is from League of Legends. The image is of a character in the game, and it's making the Psyduck pose because of bizarre bugs and balance decisions that no one can really understand. The developers are Riot Games, hence the name.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lance Streetman posted:

:am:?

Pretty sure someone earlier said it was another BYOB vanity smilie.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Would you guys be cool with me posting thread tags in here I don't get or would that be better for a spin-off post?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I'm cool with it :cb:

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Reading this thread is like being on Geocities again! :allears:

I don't think I saw the explanation for these posted:
:smithmouth: / :douche:
SAclopedia entry

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Dave posted:

Would you guys be cool with me posting thread tags in here I don't get or would that be better for a spin-off post?

I don't think anyone cares.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I don't think anyone cares.

Yeah. I think "Outing the In Joke" is the purpose of this thread and smilies were just the most obvious example.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Why is :effort: black text on a dark grey background? Is it supposed to take an effort to read or what?

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

big scary monsters posted:

Why is :effort: black text on a dark grey background? Is it supposed to take an effort to read or what?

No effort expended, not even to light up the sign. Compare it to :hurr: :godwin: or :owned:.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

I think the idea is that he could hit the button and light it up but... meh, he's too lazy.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
If anyone was curious enough to read through the thread that spawned :fyh:, it was this one and the OP is a woman, not a man as mentioned on page 1. I hadn't seen this posted yet, sorry it's late. It's considered an entertaining thread by a lot of people though, so it's worth a read if you're into reading about stupid people.

What is :viconia: for? I know Viconia was a mod of (I think) The Book Barn. I'm just curious why a crescent moon and it's named after her. I like it but I don't think I'd use it, because it might mean something that I'm not aware of.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

No Hephaestus posted:

I'm pretty sure somebody found it one of those dumping ground websites for smilies. You know, back in the day when you just HAD to find an "under construction" .gif for your geocities page in order to convey the fact that you have not fully assembled a complete compendium of lyrics and .mids of Backstreet Boys songs, you could find it in some website, right next to the index of .gifs of spinning flaming skulls and upside down crucifixes.

Anyway, that smiley face was on such a website, somebody miniaturized it and noticed it looked extra sleezy, and it was added to the roll.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
:byodood: Something about this guy's face makes me think of the cartoons from The Oatmeal. (There are a bunch of his faces here: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/working_home) But because the name starts with "byo", I'm guessing it's a BYOB thing.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I'd assumed :byodood: was a representation of the average BYOB poster, with :byodame: being the female equivalent.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

The Dave posted:

Do it. I'll start. What's the story with the falconry tag?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Why is the :geno: emote called "geno"?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pierzak posted:

Why is the :geno: emote called "geno"?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=161

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Thank you guys.
It's good to know :spergin: is not David Schwimmer character from friends
, because whenever I see that smiley I start hearing the post in his voice.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Does anyone have the original entry of :gooncamp:?

I know this is all the way from page 1, and Desparado Bones answered it, but :gooncamp: is about DJ Buttafly and he boyfriend at a gooncamp. They had the buttsexes in a tent while people around the tent were sort of able to see through the tent in. At the end of the camping trip, everyone piled up all their trash and burned it. Even poo poo that shouldn't be burned.

Wanna see?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1858814

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Huh. I had only heard about that gooncamp trip, never read the thread...I gotta say, learning it was visible because goons were peeking into the tent vent (and not just because the tent was somehow see-through) makes it a bit different. Now I'm embarassed not just for djbuttaflye for doing it and being so obvious, but also for the goons who thought hurr hurr and creepily hovered around the tent looking for cracks to peep into. Everything about that is just so...:psyduck: It's very SA circa 05, I suppose!

So what the gently caress is :smugndar: anyway?

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 17:23 on May 22, 2012

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

nullandvoid posted:

I know this is all the way from page 1, and Desparado Bones answered it, but :gooncamp: is about DJ Buttafly and he boyfriend at a gooncamp. They had the buttsexes in a tent while people around the tent were sort of able to see through the tent in. At the end of the camping trip, everyone piled up all their trash and burned it. Even poo poo that shouldn't be burned.

Wanna see?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1858814

Oh the things that have been lost to waffles.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

No Hephaestus posted:

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I'm pretty sure somebody found it one of those dumping ground websites for smilies. You know, back in the day when you just HAD to find an "under construction" .gif for your geocities page in order to convey the fact that you have not fully assembled a complete compendium of lyrics and .mids of Backstreet Boys songs, you could find it in some website, right next to the index of .gifs of spinning flaming skulls and upside down crucifixes.

Anyway, that smiley face was on such a website, somebody miniaturized it and noticed it looked extra sleezy, and it was added to the roll.

Is it called "q" after Qqqqqqq, or is :q just supposed to be an ASCII version of a creepy face?

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Crosscontaminant posted:

I'd assumed :byodood: was a representation of the average BYOB poster, with :byodame: being the female equivalent.

I've seen those used to represent nasty people, either customers or bosses/coworkers, in Bitch About Your Job threads.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Where did :allears: come from? It's such a versatile emoticon.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

when worlds collide posted:

What is :viconia: for? I know Viconia was a mod of (I think) The Book Barn. I'm just curious why a crescent moon and it's named after her. I like it but I don't think I'd use it, because it might mean something that I'm not aware of.

If you saw a picture of Viconia's face, particularly her chin, you'd get the joke. FYAD bought that emoticon.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dr Pepper posted:

I first saw it pop up in byob before anyone bought it. Along with :airquote: as well.

We'd just go find random emoticons and upload them to a host to use.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

hyperhazard posted:

Is it called "q" after Qqqqqqq, or is :q just supposed to be an ASCII version of a creepy face?

:q: predated Qqqqqqq, although I don't know where it came from.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I started a thread where goons can post their imitations of smilies. It's going badly, but that's okay, the insults are funny. If you want to join in mocking me, the link is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486143.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm pretty sure it originally comes from Yahoo Messenger's set of emoticons and just got brought into the fold here like so many others. I have no idea why it was purchased or who bought it though.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Landerig posted:

If you saw a picture of Viconia's face, particularly her chin, you'd get the joke. FYAD bought that emoticon.

Ah, I see. I don't think I've ever seen a photo of her. She hasn't posted for a long time either, as far as I've seen. Like so many others. Thanks for solving the mystery.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Crosscontaminant posted:

The first one was just a funny emoticon to which BYOB posters gave a dumb loving name, and the second one is some dumb female version that someone made for some reason. The history of BYOB's emoticon-buying addiction is deep, intricate and intensely boring.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

nullandvoid posted:

Oh, I'm pretty sure everything on that camp should have been burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

For a better explanation than "some old dumb BYOB poo poo", Russ (or something like that) used to be a mod of BYOB, and would occasionally make threads that were called Russ Bus threads, and after so long would just move them from forum to forum.

Little Blue Couch posted:

The first one was just a funny emoticon to which BYOB posters gave a dumb loving name, and the second one is some dumb female version that someone made for some reason. The history of BYOB's emoticon-buying addiction is deep, intricate and intensely boring.

BYOB was pretty widely known to be a bunch of people who had too much time and money on their hands. I'm pretty sure some of the biggest spenders on the forums were just rebans from BYOB, like Matt Damon for instance.

Death Bot has a new favorite as of 10:41 on May 23, 2012