Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gullous posted:

Denniskirk has data! I put in 110/80-18 and this was in the specs:

Lesson learned - tubes are versatile.

Wow, that's...extremely useful. I wish more places would list all that information.

90/100-19 ironically just brings up the tire that I'm trying to buy it for, but I sent them an email and will continue looking. Thanks!

[e] there are bajillions of tubes that supposedly fit anything from a 90/90 to 120/90. Surely one of those would work.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
How important is balancing the tire? I couldn't find the markings on my pirelli MT75's for the heavy point and I guess normally I would match up the markings with the opposite of the valve stem, then add weights if it kept settling in a particular area when spinning. I seem to remember Z3n saying to not really worry about it, or adding beads, but I just want to double check I'm not misremembering things.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I haven't balanced a tire in ages, no problems, including track use. Beads are bullshit. However, this is on street bikes, running modern tires, no rimlocks/etc. And I'm also careful when I take it out at first in case there is a wobble from the tire being out of balance. Haven't had it happen yet.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Z3n posted:

I haven't balanced a tire in ages, no problems, including track use. Beads are bullshit. However, this is on street bikes, running modern tires, no rimlocks/etc. And I'm also careful when I take it out at first in case there is a wobble from the tire being out of balance. Haven't had it happen yet.

Awesome, I thought you had said that but I wanted to double check before I did something really stupid. Thanks :tipshat:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Last time I got new tyres a balance was definitely in order. Front end started shaking like mad at ~50 mph.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dial M for MURDER posted:

How important is balancing the tire? I couldn't find the markings on my pirelli MT75's for the heavy point and I guess normally I would match up the markings with the opposite of the valve stem, then add weights if it kept settling in a particular area when spinning. I seem to remember Z3n saying to not really worry about it, or adding beads, but I just want to double check I'm not misremembering things.

Wait what? My car tires have marks where the valve stem is supposed to go. Same with my truck's tires, and in fact, all the automotive tires I've ever dealt with. Please tell me motorcycle tires aren't different. No marks, I'm cool with, as that means no "light spot" to worry about.

I suppose if the tire shows up and it has a mark I could just let the tire roll and settle in one spot, then put that spot opposite the valve stem, then see where the mark ends up.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Wait what? My car tires have marks where the valve stem is supposed to go. Same with my truck's tires, and in fact, all the automotive tires I've ever dealt with. Please tell me motorcycle tires aren't different. No marks, I'm cool with, as that means no "light spot" to worry about.

I suppose if the tire shows up and it has a mark I could just let the tire roll and settle in one spot, then put that spot opposite the valve stem, then see where the mark ends up.

I'm not sure what the deal is. I thought Pirelli had 2 dots to look for and I looked everywhere and couldn't find it, maybe it got rubbed off in shipping, I don't know :iiam:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I've had multiple tires lose the dots at some point or another. Be it takeoffs, shipping, whatever, never had an issue with them going on willy nilly, although I try to match them it they're present.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Done 3 changes on the KTM now and I didn't even know about the dots, never noticed any vibration at speed on any of them but then this is a KTM, so it would be hard to tell apart wheel vibration from the rest of the vibration. Even then just our lovely roads would make it nigh impossible.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Whenever I mount tires I balance them. It's really easy to do, I just use the axle and 2 things sit it on so the wheel can spin. Usually the wheel will obviously fall to a certain side. Experiment with spinning it, find the exact side, tape some sticky weights opposite it. Reapeat by trial and error until placing the wheel at different rotations results in no spinning. Takes like 5 minutes. Done this with track and street tires and never noticed vibration. I've also never NOT done it and noticed vibration, so who knows whether I'm wasting my time or not. I can definitely say for sure that wheels are usually not in perfect balance after tire mount, and you can improve the balance and get them perfect less bearing friction using a few minutes and sticky weights.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
The gap between my washer and dryer is perfect for wheel balancing. I may have even taken a pipe and a hammer and dimpled the top edge to hold the axle better and straight. If the wife asks though, it was always like that.... :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Infinotize posted:

Whenever I mount tires I balance them. It's really easy to do, I just use the axle and 2 things sit it on so the wheel can spin. Usually the wheel will obviously fall to a certain side. Experiment with spinning it, find the exact side, tape some sticky weights opposite it. Reapeat by trial and error until placing the wheel at different rotations results in no spinning. Takes like 5 minutes. Done this with track and street tires and never noticed vibration. I've also never NOT done it and noticed vibration, so who knows whether I'm wasting my time or not. I can definitely say for sure that wheels are usually not in perfect balance after tire mount, and you can improve the balance and get them perfect less bearing friction using a few minutes and sticky weights.

In the end, the reason I gave up on balancing was noticing the changes between an in balance fresh tire and one that had run another 100 miles or so of track time. If they go out of balance after 100 miles of track time with plenty of life still left, what's the point?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Took my Road Pilot 3's out today in Seattle's first dry day since I put them on. Didn't have time to do any serious roads, just a little personal favorite of mine and some entrance ramps. Boy howdy do they inspire confidence. The narrower rear makes the bike transition faster and I still have plenty of grip. Thank you CA

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
Looking at Bridgestone S11 Spitfires in 100/90-19 and 120/90-18. Trying to replace tires on 2 matching CB750's. Coming from Continental Challenger front and Dunlop 404 rear and aged out garbage on the other, would like to match tires at least per bike. I can get 2 sets of spitfires from DK for less than 300 bucks. Are they decent enough tires to run until I have another Honda Pyre?

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Love the Bridgestone S11 for older bikes and they handle quite well. I had no problem dragging knee on my 82 750F and they showed very little wear. That is until it was totaled :(

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
My friend has an 81 CB650 and a 79 KZ650 he needs tires for. He wants to know if the Spitfires are any good for that type of bike. He's looking for something that will wear well, but with some grip for the twisties.

I told him that I really like the PR2's, but not sure if they would be the best for early 80's UJM's.

Any suggestions?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mcqueen posted:

Took my Road Pilot 3's out today in Seattle's first dry day since I put them on. Didn't have time to do any serious roads, just a little personal favorite of mine and some entrance ramps. Boy howdy do they inspire confidence. The narrower rear makes the bike transition faster and I still have plenty of grip. Thank you CA

Mine are going on tomorrow, so excit- http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

Dammit, gently caress off rain. Really don't want to have to bed in new tyres and new brakes in the wet.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I've got 6 year old tires that have been through hundreds of day/night heat cycles (parked on the street for most of those 6 years) and they feel hard as rocks. What are my odds of a lowside if I ride it into the shop to get new tires? Will reducing the pressure for the trip help? It's 3 miles of city riding from here to the shop, but there are some very steep / long downhills along the way.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

frunksock posted:

I've got 6 year old tires What are my odds of a lowside if I ride it into the shop to get new tires?

Just ride like you're on a wet road with cut grass all over it and you should be OK.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Opinions on BT45s to replace the lovely tires on my 75 RD? Haven't heard of or found any other tires in stock sizes.

90/90-18 front and 110/90-18 rear. Although a 120 will fit apparently.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Great tires, for what they are. I'm on my 3rd set between two bikes, and I've never had any troubles with them. They have admirable rain performance, last forever, and are sticky enough for most situations you throw at them. I even ran them on my first trackday and had nary a hiccup.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Rain performance is huge for me. I live in Guam. It rains every day, and the roads are terrible. Either shoddily maintained blacktop, or coral mixed with concrete.

Hurracan
Apr 29, 2009
Help!

I went ahead and bought a replacement rear tire from motorcycle-superstore.com at the end of last month's sale, but now I can't get anyone to mount it for me. (Bridgestone battleaxe for my '05 Ninja)

The reputable shop in town (Eugene, OR) won't because of liability issues (long-winded explanation of bad experiences they've had with mail-order and finding tire damage halfway through the process and not wanting to be responsible for something not coming through their supply chain and on and on) which I respect, fine.

The cheap guy on the recommended vendors from the site let me make an appointment, but now won't answer the phone or return calls.

So... if I follow a how-to guide (I have tools and an air compressor and string), just how badly can I gently caress it up? What other avenues can anyone suggest (maybe somone knows someone local, because my local sportbike forum hasn't updated in five years)? The hunt via phone has been exhausting and I'd rather guarantee I can get the work done if I have to ride with the tire strapped to my back to a shop.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
I need some help choosing tires for touring as Iīll be doing a trip now in june thatīs going to be around 5000 kmīs. I bought a 2008 Hornet a little less than a month ago and it came with a brand new Pilot power 2CT on the rear and the front is the OEM Pilot power tire and is marked as being produced in 2007. The front still has a lot of thread left as the bike hasnīt done more than 6000 km total but I assume it would be a good idea to replace it before such a long trip anyway.

My question is whether the Pilot power 2CT is a good tire for long distance riding and what should I replace my front with ?

On my last bike (FZ6) I ran Pirelli Diablo strada tires and they usually lasted 5-6000km before needing replacement. Can I expect the Pilot power 2CT to last longer than that ?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd just match front and rear, the Pilot Power tires should be A-OK. You might chew the center up a bit and they probably won't be as good in the wet as the Pilot Road 2 or 3, but there are way worse tires to tour on.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I'm thoroughly intimidated by the thread so I'm sure this has been asked before, I just cringe at the thought of trying to find it.

I'm picking up a 2009 Triumph Speed Triple in the near future. The PO didn't realise - he was very distracted with intercontinental emigrations - that the rear tire is in need of replacement and has offered to replace it for me. I don't intend to track the bike and I think the tire he was using is very much a track tire.

What recommendations does CA have for Tires that are good for commuting and hold up to long distances (around 90 miles per day) and the horsepower of the bike? He's recommending a Michelin that he finds "very sticky" but I have a feeling that a very sticky tire is also going to be a very short-lived one.

Again, I have no desire to track it, and should I ever, I would look at getting a tire specifically for those days.

Thanks!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

sildargod posted:

I'm thoroughly intimidated by the thread so I'm sure this has been asked before, I just cringe at the thought of trying to find it.

I'm picking up a 2009 Triumph Speed Triple in the near future. The PO didn't realise - he was very distracted with intercontinental emigrations - that the rear tire is in need of replacement and has offered to replace it for me. I don't intend to track the bike and I think the tire he was using is very much a track tire.

What recommendations does CA have for Tires that are good for commuting and hold up to long distances (around 90 miles per day) and the horsepower of the bike? He's recommending a Michelin that he finds "very sticky" but I have a feeling that a very sticky tire is also going to be a very short-lived one.

Any modern sport-touring tire will do. Michelin 2CT, PR2, PR3, Metzeler Roadtec, Dunlop Roadsmarts, etc.; the TriumphRAT guys have tried and recommend pretty much everything out there. Lifespan is heavily dependent on road conditions, riding style and throttle fever; if you're twisthappy expect the rear to have half the life of the front, regardless of what you pick.

If he's just replacing the rear and the front is a race tire, just have him give you the cash and put roadier tires on both.

I've got Metzeler Racetecs on mine (stock) and I don't really like them - too hard to get/keep warm on the street and worrisome in the rain. I plan on getting Sportecs for my next set, but I'd do Roadtecs instead if I was commuting that much.

E: Unrelated to tires, if you're doing that much commuting on an S3, if it's at highway speed or higher, look at getting the flyscreen or an aftermarket windscreen if it doesn't already have one.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 9, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

sildargod posted:

Again, I have no desire to track it, and should I ever, I would look at getting a tire specifically for those days.

Thanks!

Like Snowden's Secret said, anything sport touring is absolutely fine for the triple. Modern sports touring tyres can cope with a hell of a lot of power and handle like track rubber used to back in the day, with the bonus that they generally have super-fast warmup.

I would add to his list the excellent BT023, which is slightly less fashionable (= expensive) than the Roadsmart etc. On my second of these on the Tuono and they work perfectly. I also liked the Pirelli Angel ST, but found they tended to go "off" at about 50% wear. I did try a set of Roadsmarts on my old Hornet and really liked them, but they were a much more "fidgety" tyre on that bike - fine if you don't mind a quick steering feel and a touch of instability, though not sure if that would manifest on the Triple.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Any thoughts on Bridgestone S20 tires? They're new and I think they're doing some sort of promotional pricing as a local shop has them priced lower than I can get Q2s online for.

http://bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/s20.html

I won't need tires for another ~800-1000 miles or so but these are on sale now until Saturday so I am thinking getting them and just keeping them until I need them..

These are for primarily weekend rides, with a few track days per year (previously fast novice, next time in intermediate.. so I'm not exactly 'fast'). I'm not overly concerned with longevity as the bike is for pleasure only and not commuting etc.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Any thoughts on Bridgestone S20 tires? They're new and I think they're doing some sort of promotional pricing as a local shop has them priced lower than I can get Q2s online for.

http://bridgestone.com/products/motorcycle_tires/products/battlax/s20.html

I won't need tires for another ~800-1000 miles or so but these are on sale now until Saturday so I am thinking getting them and just keeping them until I need them..

These are for primarily weekend rides, with a few track days per year (previously fast novice, next time in intermediate.. so I'm not exactly 'fast'). I'm not overly concerned with longevity as the bike is for pleasure only and not commuting etc.

Well the product page says they replace the 016 pro, so they're a fast street tyre.

I've had no issues with the grip levels of the BT023s on the road and they would work just fine in the intermediate group, so I would have thought those would be a better bet for a road bike, but these may be cheaper than 023s with the promotional price. If you're "not exactly fast" in your own words I doubt you would need the extra grip of the S20, albeit it's always nice to have something in reserve at the front end.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Saga posted:

Well the product page says they replace the 016 pro, so they're a fast street tyre.

I've had no issues with the grip levels of the BT023s on the road and they would work just fine in the intermediate group, so I would have thought those would be a better bet for a road bike, but these may be cheaper than 023s with the promotional price. If you're "not exactly fast" in your own words I doubt you would need the extra grip of the S20, albeit it's always nice to have something in reserve at the front end.

Last time I rode track there was a guy on speed triple with BT16/23 combo and he was running same pace as me without any issues, so I believe it can be done.
I have have the front push wide on the street a couple times so it would be nice to have that extra grip in reserve, but I rarely ride that pace.

That said, the prices from the shop for S20 are the same as BT023 online so I am kind of leaning S20. I can't see the BT023 in 190/55 which I am kind of keen on trying out.

I think I'll probably post a S20 review in a couple months.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I have a 190 BT023 on my bike, so they are out there.

But yeah, for the same price I would certainly be willing to try an S20 on the front.

Actually getting the completely hosed 2CT on the Tuono's front wheel swapped for an 016 Pro today as I couldn't find a part-worn 023 front. Now I can turn right again, praise allah.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I just got charged $90 to mount two old distanzas on skinny WRX rims. Never again. I'm going to pick up this bead breaker next month, any recommendations for a tire spoon kit?

I also really suck at reading tires and can't decide if these are good for another sumo event or not. They look pretty bald to me, especially the front. They just moved the event up to the 9th and I'm broke till next month.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Saga posted:

I have a 190 BT023 on my bike, so they are out there.

But yeah, for the same price I would certainly be willing to try an S20 on the front.

Actually getting the completely hosed 2CT on the Tuono's front wheel swapped for an 016 Pro today as I couldn't find a part-worn 023 front. Now I can turn right again, praise allah.

Just for informational purposes, BT016 Pro front and BT023 rear combo working well so far on the Tuono. They're obviously a good match, handling wise, and the sport touring rear should eke out a few more miles.

It does appear that the BT023 has a harder time on the back of the Tuono than the BT016 does on the front - the back starts to ball up a bit after a few passes around the roundabouts and slip roads near my work so is definitely getting worked, whereas the 016 pro is barely bedded-in. The 016 is an OEM tyre I got barely used from a KTM owner, so it might be one of those rumoured special OEM compound tyres made from granite.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Oh man I need help. Debated asking this in the off-road thread instead but unfortunately the tire never even made it off road.

I mounted a new Shinko 255 dot trials rear tire on the DRZ on Saturday afternoon after reading great things about the tire from another goon. Added an OEM bead lock to the rim at the same time. Unfortunately the next morning as I'm headed out to do some dirt riding, I notice there's something wrong. At 40mph on the street, the rear end end of the bike starts to wobble back and forth. At 50, it's wobbling back and forth far enough that it feels dangerous. You can believe that made corners fun as I limped it back home.

Strangely, the frequency of the wobble did not seem to directly correspond to the period of the wheel's rotation. Meaning the wobble felt like one or two per second at a speed where the wheel would be rotating 9 or 10 revolutions per second. Speed seemed to have a much more pronounced effect on amplitude of the problem rather than the frequency if that makes sense.

If I pulled over and let the tire cool down for a while, it would then ride normally at 40+ mph for a minute or two before the wobble started again.
Other details:
  • Spun the wheel by hand on the bike and everything visually appears fine. No wobble in the wheel or bulges in the tire anywhere.
  • Everything is tight and aligned as usual
  • I felt no vibration or other unusual symptoms other than the wobble.
  • The same rim ran great on the street with the DOT knobby I just pulled off of there.
  • I was running 33psi in the tire (mfg recommended).
  • I dropped it down to 25 and it felt no different.
  • Front tire was a Pirelli MT21 dot knobby.
  • I made no effort to balance the rear wheel after mounting the tire.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
^^^^
Possibly it's nothing more complicated than the fact that ou're running an MT21 on the front that has a completely different tread pattern and construction.

GanjamonII, how is the S20? I'm thinking of getting a part-worn S20 in preparation for a track day, as my BT023 is rapidly evaporating in early-summer cornering fun.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Saga, what kind of mileage are you getting from the BT023? I got one this past weekend on the basis that it's supposedly longer lived than the competition?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

sildargod posted:

Saga, what kind of mileage are you getting from the BT023? I got one this past weekend on the basis that it's supposedly longer lived than the competition?

It's not quite clear to me yet because I usually buy take-offs (i.e. used rubber). The current 023 is from a track bike, so came with a couple mm off each side and a little less off the middle.

What I can say is that it hasn't gotten any squarer in about a 1,000 to 1,500 miles of use. In fact, if the good weather continues, it looks like the right hand side is going to hit the wear bars first. That's pretty unusual for the Tuono, as rear tyres tend to get killed pretty rapidly by the power delivery.

Grip levels are really good for a touring tyre plus quick warm up, so for road use it's ideal for my bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MonkeyHate posted:

Oh man I need help. Debated asking this in the off-road thread instead but unfortunately the tire never even made it off road.

I mounted a new Shinko 255 dot trials rear tire on the DRZ on Saturday afternoon after reading great things about the tire from another goon. Added an OEM bead lock to the rim at the same time. Unfortunately the next morning as I'm headed out to do some dirt riding, I notice there's something wrong. At 40mph on the street, the rear end end of the bike starts to wobble back and forth. At 50, it's wobbling back and forth far enough that it feels dangerous. You can believe that made corners fun as I limped it back home.

Strangely, the frequency of the wobble did not seem to directly correspond to the period of the wheel's rotation. Meaning the wobble felt like one or two per second at a speed where the wheel would be rotating 9 or 10 revolutions per second. Speed seemed to have a much more pronounced effect on amplitude of the problem rather than the frequency if that makes sense.

If I pulled over and let the tire cool down for a while, it would then ride normally at 40+ mph for a minute or two before the wobble started again.
Other details:
  • Spun the wheel by hand on the bike and everything visually appears fine. No wobble in the wheel or bulges in the tire anywhere.
  • Everything is tight and aligned as usual
  • I felt no vibration or other unusual symptoms other than the wobble.
  • The same rim ran great on the street with the DOT knobby I just pulled off of there.
  • I was running 33psi in the tire (mfg recommended).
  • I dropped it down to 25 and it felt no different.
  • Front tire was a Pirelli MT21 dot knobby.
  • I made no effort to balance the rear wheel after mounting the tire.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Balance the tire. Adding a rim lock is one of the few places where you're adding enough weight to throw things off.

Also 33psi is pretty high for a knobbie, could be contributing. Also check for missing spacers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Saga posted:

It's not quite clear to me yet because I usually buy take-offs (i.e. used rubber). The current 023 is from a track bike, so came with a couple mm off each side and a little less off the middle.

What I can say is that it hasn't gotten any squarer in about a 1,000 to 1,500 miles of use. In fact, if the good weather continues, it looks like the right hand side is going to hit the wear bars first. That's pretty unusual for the Tuono, as rear tyres tend to get killed pretty rapidly by the power delivery.

Grip levels are really good for a touring tyre plus quick warm up, so for road use it's ideal for my bike.

I'm on my third set of BT-023. I'm getting about 9,000 from a rear and 12,000 from a front. This has been about the standard between a SV650, R6 and Daytona. I'd expect to get about the same amount of mileage as that. The flipside is that I do a *lot* of highway mileage as my work is 23 miles from my home and I use the bike to commute to school.

Seconding the grip levels comment as well. My only complaint is that the front does not handle heavy braking as well as I would like. Granted, it's predictable when it will break traction and is really under only very heavy braking that it will.

All-in-all, definitely my favorite tires so far.

that one guy chad fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 30, 2012

• Locked thread