Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
(Vip)Bus is fine, if not excellent between cities, but the citybus in BKK was way to complicated and indecipherable for my tourist rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
City buses are a bit confusing - especially since one day the 18 bus will take you all the way to Victory Monument and the next day the driver yells out something halfway through and makes everyone get off, heh. Still, there are probably a few routes you can pick up from some tourist boards that'll get you from KSR to main transit points. I didn't start using city buses for about 5 years and I still use them sparingly, but more than I did. Saengtaews are really handy for short trips if you can figure out the routes, though.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds good then, I guess we will stay for a few days in Bangkok to check it out, have the guesthouse help with getting a bus out to koh Chang, stay there a few days to see how it goes since it is close and it got props from Rapsey, then wing it from there heading down to koh phangan or one of the other places reindeerf mentioned. I am definitely too scared to use the city buses.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
My advice, as for the last 8 years here, is to get out of Bangkok immediately and come back later. It's too much to take in on day one, but by the time you return you'll have acclimated a bit. It's a great, great city. It just takes time to get why it's a great city, because at first what it is is a melange of sewer gas, exhaust, air pollution, noise pollution and loose sidewalk tiles that squirt piss and snot up your leg.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
It can't be any worse than Beijing, but you've been to china. I shall take your advice, just drop it to a day or two to rest up and figure out how to get out.

8 years huh? Your name looks really familiar, are you by chance that really huge Texan who posted the Thailand travel thread all those years and years ago? I don't have archives to check.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's me. You're right, heh, it's not much worse than Beijing in my memory - though the chaos is a bit worse here as I recall. Sewer gas, chaotic sidewalks and like that. Pollution's bad here, but as you say, it's better than Beijing, heh.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, you inspired me way back when you posted that thread. I never did make it to Thailand but I went a bunch of other places pretty much as a result of that thread showing me it wasn't so hard to travel. Good times.

It may be chaotic but it depends on when you went to Beijing and how many cars there were. I am pretty sure they are actively trying to run pedestrians over during crossings, it's like playing a game of chicken crossing the road. But yeh if that's the city bangkok can be compared to I shall exit ASAP.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Glad to hear it! The whole purpose of these threads, for me, was to do what an older English goon did for me once upon a time, which was to convince me that traveling wasn't a massive affair. 9 years later I've lived here for the last 6.5+ years. If anyone's made it since then because of these threads then I hope, at least, they've enjoyed life as much as I have :)

Beijing actually didn't seem THAT awful, just incredibly polluted and gentrifying at an amazing pace, but I haven't been in a long, long time. Jakarta and Manila are the true shithole capitals of Asia. Bangkok is not comparable to anything because of its bizarre mixture of cosmopolitan capital, bohemian playground and transit infrastructure. It's just, well, Bangkok.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Also, for anyone who hasn't converted yet, become a fan of Dengue Fever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42OvUz3UhsI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH7dbO8PpQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4ILlDAIOg

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Ringo R posted:

Nice list, Reindeer. Here's some seafood that I like:

Goong shae naam bplaa - Raw prawns in fish sauce, garlic and chili.
Bplaa Pow - Salted, grilled fish. They look dry but are juicy and tasty inside! Great with som tam (papaya salad).
Bpoo pad pong garee - Crab curry.
Yam kai yeow ma - Preserved egg with onions and other vegetables. Makes sexy explosion in mouth. (not seafood)
To add:

Plaa Mnao - Fish in lemongrass, lime, garlic, and chili is pretty drat good too.

There's also the various Laaps which is basically ground meat cooked with garlic, chili, and topped with basil or mint.

Laap Moo : pork
Laap Pet : duck
Laap Nua : beef
Laap plaa : fish

Don't be afraid to try the various grilled road sausages too. They are good. The slightly sour taste is normal and eat it with the small chilis.

You can also walk straight up to a street vendor who looks like he's grilling chicken thighs and just say:

Kao Nuay : sticky rice
Gai Yan : grilled chicken

That's a filling lunch for less than 60 baht in the city.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Modus Operandi posted:

Kao Nuay : sticky rice
More physically exhautsed rice!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4kyojtHJb0

I mostly posted this for the chillass song.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 23, 2012

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

More physically exhautsed rice!
Haha yeah I wasn't sure how to spell it. I guess it's more like Niao. But just for comedy's sake I hope someone really does pronounce it the way I spelled it before.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
For Thai Tea or Coffee add 14 TBSP of condensed milk. Then add coffee/tea for flavor.

EDIT: That is a cool song, heh.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, that entire album is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmokXf1RHcI&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP06FF2C049A00300D

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 23, 2012

kru
Oct 5, 2003

When I was in Bali I missed out on the mad 'poop coffee'. Trying to get some here in Singapore (and there must be some, I can get Irn-Bru for gods sake).

Has anyone tried it?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

For Thai Tea or Coffee add 14 TBSP of condensed milk. Then add coffee/tea for flavor.

EDIT: That is a cool song, heh.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, that entire album is awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmokXf1RHcI&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=SP06FF2C049A00300D

Morlam is the best poo poo goddamn.

On my last trip through while I was in Issan there was this song on the radio with one verse being "he smells good, it turns me on" and that song was so drat bitchin but because I was in Thailand no one knew who was singing it and the DJ didn't bother saying.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
And on the other end of the spectrum we have...Ja Turbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFpXi3Tvro

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

And on the other end of the spectrum we have...Ja Turbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFpXi3Tvro
Haha classy.

I like this song. An oldie but a goodie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdx45wip9W4

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Holy poo poo that's nice! I like songs where I can actually understand 80% of the words, heh. I hope that's ridiculing the NARAK NARAK obsession with pandas, but I'm never quite sure - especially when it comes to look toong and irony. Also, why does the khaen player always have to be the More Cowbell guy in look toong bands? Jesus Christ.

On that note, I'll reference Ringo R's greatest-ever discovery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_qEYNY3zk

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 23, 2012

kru
Oct 5, 2003

This also owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNm7k2PUGzI

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Oh look what we have here (it's publicly linked from his Youtube channel, so this isn't fishing for personal info):

https://www.facebook.com/jonnyplayskhaen

quote:

I like this kind of humor. This is definitely funny.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

friend request sent, will update on celebrity connections made

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh I was asking around for a translation of that song because I didn't really understand it and the lyrics are basically:

Take a bath and then DING DING DONG
The wife leaves the house and then DING DING DONG

Stuff like that. He means having sex, though, not jerking off. Thai peepun.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

I saw them play at the FCC when they came to Phnom Penh last year, and they were just as fantastic live. Sometimes I wish modern Cambodian music was a bit closer to the classic stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCRU8JJV6Y

Anyway, I found a great Khmer study resource:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3J8RtjpTQc

I think a lot people here will find the English almost as hard to understand as the Khmer. ;)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Dude! I couldn't make it when they were there - I was so bummed. I would've loved to have seen them. I hope they come back again and play several shows around the country like last time. FCC sounded like a packed, sweaty mess. I'd love to catch them in Battambang or wherever they play. I agree, Ros Sereysothea is awesome. I forget the name of the top dog male crooner from that time, but he's pretty good too. I've got it in iTunes and it comes up randomly. The stuff now sounds about like lovely Thai pop, sadly.

I'll be in town in about a week and a half, catch up then!

EDIT: Ah, Sinn Sisamouth. Can't ever remember the name.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 23, 2012

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Yeah there seemed to be few stand-out singers at the time, Pan Ron was another good one. Would have loved to have seen what the place was like back then.

I quite liked the FCC, it was bit more of an intimate performance, but yeah it was pretty packed. It didn't help that I was wearing trousers, a shirt and a tie, having just come from a wedding. At least I was the best dressed there! :D

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

Oh look what we have here (it's publicly linked from his Youtube channel, so this isn't fishing for personal info):

https://www.facebook.com/jonnyplayskhaen

He accepted me! I think I'm going to replace the entire OP with this:

This could be YOU in SE Asia

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R posted:

He accepted me! I think I'm going to replace the entire OP with this:

This could be YOU in SE Asia

Hahaha, Jonny Olsen, recognized game tester, khaen player and third world ladies man. Chick in the middle is cute enough, but the tattoo tells me this is not taken in Laos. I noticed he seems to be back in California doing some Buddhist nonsense (how novel in California - if you ever want to watch a Thai person roll their eyes, tell them about your "Buddhist" farang friend in California).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 23, 2012

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hahaha, his wikipedia is amazing.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Aliquid posted:

Hahaha, his wikipedia is amazing.
He must have some really devoted fans to write such an exhaustive list of nice things!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This goony weirdo, all I can imagine is that he thought "Japanophelia? That's been done."

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

I just booked my plane ticket to BKK, so I am officially spending 3 weeks in SE Asia next January with my boyfriend, my brother and his girlfriend. The catch is that we have a really really limited idea of where we actually want to go and what we want to do. Besides the OP and first posts (which are incredibly helpful), how would you recommend a truly clueless person start their research? I've been reading this thread for a couple months which has helped give me some context but for creating my own plan, where do I start? It's my first big international trip.

Set priorities of what kind of places I want to visit?
Figure out the realistic travel times/methods between major cities?
Seek out major "can't miss" kind of things and make them top priorities?

We don't want to spread ourselves too thin and spend the entire time on buses but we also don't expect to make it back any time soon and probably don't want a 3-week immersion in one particular country or area. Basically where's the best place to start when it comes to itinerary planning?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Start with "Seek out major "can't miss" kind of things and make them top priorities" and then go from there. Open up a map, airasia.com, seat61.com, this site and start planning a general route and familiarizing yourself with options. Don't book anything beyond the first 3-4 days, maybe a week, until you get here.

Americans in particular are notorious over-planners when it comes to vacations. I'm American, I used to be this way too. There's absolutely no need here and, in fact, you'll ruin the experience if you do do that - especially avoid pressure from other Americans - who aren't reading and talking with those of us who live here (or travel here) - to plan the Hell out of everything. A herd mentality tends to develop where everyone gets excited about being the first to plan some complex itinerary. Just find those few things you want to see, keep an eye out for stuff geographically in between that might be interesting and jot down those things. Otherwise, just familiarize yourself with transport options and go from there. The thread here will be more than happy to address questions that come up (e.g. "Is it worth going to Battambang for a day?") and that should get you through :)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The major triad of SE Asia tourism is, for me:

1) Angkor Wat
2) Hilltribe trek (preferably out of Mae Hong Son)
3] A Thai beach

Bangkok is an unspoken fourth -- the things listed above will present themselves as cool and fun, Bangkok however had a shell to pierce before you get to the good stuff (it's hot and confusing, many tourists never get past those two things). The unspoken fifth is scuba diving if you have the time / money -- this can't be done too close to a flight either so it requires a little planning unlike every other thing in the region.

raton fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 24, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
On my first trip I was hanging out with some Canadians who had been there for long terms and were at the end of their trip (one had taught for 2 years). I offhandedly said, "Coming to Southeast Asia and not seeing Angkor Wat is like going to Florida and not seeing Disneyworld." They were like, "Jesus. loving Americans." Heh.

My list of can't-miss stuff is full of things that most people probably really could miss, it's just little things I liked a lot. Hell, a lot of things have built up so much that you can't find the magic anymore in some places, heh. When I first went to Siem Reap it had like 2 bars and now it's a dense mass of bars, restaurants, hotels, backpackers and Koreans on package tours. Hua Hin is another place that's difficult to recommend anymore, but used to be pretty quaint before the tsunami caused the mass influx.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 24, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

On my first trip I was hanging out with some Canadians who had been there for long terms and were at the end of their trip (one had taught for 2 years). I offhandedly said, "Coming to Southeast Asia and not seeing Angkor Wat is like going to Florida and not seeing Disneyworld." They were like, "Jesus. loving Americans." Heh.

My list of can't-miss stuff is full of things that most people probably really could miss, it's just little things I liked a lot. Hell, a lot of things have built up so much that you can't find the magic anymore in some places, heh. When I first went to Siem Reap it had like 2 bars and now it's a dense mass of bars, restaurants, hotels, backpackers and Koreans on package tours. Hua Hin is another place that's difficult to recommend anymore, but used to be pretty quaint before the tsunami caused the mass influx.

I was on Koh Chang when the island's first 7-Eleven had its opening party, ten years before that they didn't even have a dock, you had to jump from the ferry to a longtail to the beach while holding your bag over your head. When I first went to Koh Phangan there was a tiny port town and then a windy road through the jungle from the North port to the Southern tip -- today that road is lined on both sides without exception by shops and other buildings, and Koh Phangan is a big island. Still, now is probably the time to see Siem Reap -- in ten more years the triangle area will be an air conditioned two story plaza with a tablecloth restaurant and a tattoo place in there.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

This goony weirdo, all I can imagine is that he thought "Japanophelia? That's been done."

The difference of course is that loving Japan is pretty facile; how many Americans could even find Laos on a map to begin with, let alone take the time to learn how to do Morlam. Johnny Olsen is a cool dude in my book.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Lady Gaga has arrived in Bangkok and she showed up at the Calypso Cabaret in the Asia Hotel. She really made some ladyboy's dreams come true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE5wQlnw0LI&feature=player_embedded

quote:

She look very enjoy & excite the show, after finished she dashed to shook her hands with Calypso Performers.

Heh.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
If you want to see the last bastion of old Asia, I would hit up Myanmar. Apparently its easier to get in there now and the previous nuances (currency exchange, ATMs) have been somewhat resolved.

If you take a couple of flights, you can easily hit up Rangoon, Mandalay and Bagan in a week. If you bus/train things it will either take longer or be much more uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Hahaha, never change Thai peepun. I'm shocked that didn't include the phrase "good heart" or at least "say Thailand ebbysing numbah one her."

Cheesemaster200 posted:

If you want to see the last bastion of old Asia, I would hit up Myanmar. Apparently its easier to get in there now and the previous nuances (currency exchange, ATMs) have been somewhat resolved.
There is a loving eVisa as of about a month ago. The place is moving at warp speed. Yes, go now, I agree. I'm going next month. That place will explode soon (either economically or because of civil war, heh).