Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

There's a lot of Ascendants without cards, or at least that we've seen: Lady Envy, Sister Spite, Caladan Brood, Silchas Ruin, Edgewalker, Silverfox, Apsalar, Gothos, Greymane, Fisher, and so on. Kallor doesn't have a card until he becomes Reaver of Chains.

On the other hand there are lots of mortals with cards: Karsa, Kyle, Lostara Yil, Ublala Pung, Trull Sengar, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
oh gently caress me god damnit I just wiki'd Caladan Brood and spoilered my own poo poo SO HARD ARGH.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
In my brain I like to pronounce it "keychain shemale"

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I just started reading this a couple of weeks ago, and Jesus gently caress is it hard to get through. I haven't really read any high fantasy, so it is unbelievably jarring to be reading a novel in which every character is:

A god
Possessed by a god
In direct contact with a god (or gods)
Something more ancient than a god
A wizard
A wizard that becomes a puppet
A giant talking bird

And then there's Whiskeyjack, who as far as I know, is not a god, and is in fact that the only person in the story with nothing magical about him. I'm sure that'll change.

I dunno, maybe the series just isn't for me :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Might not be but keep in mind that throughout the course of the series, one of the key themes is the power mortals have over ascendants and gods, and while there are many powerful beings in this world, they're just as likely to get their poo poo kicked in

e: though it is a very "magical" type of setting so i you really don't like that then you probably won't like the series

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
If raptors with blades for arms, giant flying sky cities, and a world inside a sword that has a wagon pulled by dead people killed by said sword bothers you, you should probably pass.

Don't get me wrong though, I liked it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Also book one is confusing as gently caress, might as well register that fact on page 50 as well: if you soldier through Gardens of the Moon, the next two titles, in my opinion particularly Memories of Ice, have some very rewarding treats in store for you.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

honestly the other books are confusing as gently caress too you just get used to it (and they're better written than book 1)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Aggro posted:

I just started reading this a couple of weeks ago, and Jesus gently caress is it hard to get through. I haven't really read any high fantasy, so it is unbelievably jarring to be reading a novel in which every character is:

A god
Possessed by a god

I actually haven't read Malazan (yet) but this is a pretty decent description of the Iliad. Not that I'm going to make an argument for parity between ancient Homeric myth and modern fantasy but, yeah, a lot of our Western high literary canon is full of this poo poo.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I actually haven't read Malazan (yet) but this is a pretty decent description of the Iliad. Not that I'm going to make an argument for parity between ancient Homeric myth and modern fantasy but, yeah, a lot of our Western high literary canon is full of this poo poo.

Erikson already confirmed a billion times that Homer influenced his series.

He considers his Malazan series an homage to Homer, and is planning the new trilogy as an homage to Shakespeare.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Aggro posted:

A god
Possessed by a god
A wizard
A giant talking bird

You forgot the most powerful one:

An explosives expert with an odd sense of humor

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Aggro posted:

A wizard

I laughed harder than I should have at this. I't completely ridiculous when you look at it from the outside. The image I always had of that character was along the lines of the character Fiddlesticks from League of Legends. Except smaller. And kinda like a marionette. Fiddelesticks' movement in the game is also how I imagined him walking around in the book. And then with his party hat Ultimate he pops out of a bush and yells "SURPRISE!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Leospeare posted:

You forgot the most powerful one:

An explosives expert with an odd sense of humor
Two explosives experts with odd senses of humor.

And the giant talking bird? She's really more of a big ...moth...

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Ian C. Esslemont's latest Malazan empire book, Orb Sceptre Throne is out now in the US.

I've been looking forward to this one for awhile now, even if it is a mixed bag as his other two are. Stonewielder wasn't as good as Return of the Crimson Guard, but I still enjoy reading about these characters that were minor or disappeared from Erikson's series.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Aggro posted:

A god
Possessed by a god
A wizard
A giant talking bird

And then there's Whiskeyjack, who as far as I know, is not a god, and is in fact that the only person in the story with nothing magical about him. I'm sure that'll change.

I dunno, maybe the series just isn't for me :(

You forgot a 3000 year old shaman that's like a reanimated mummy. Or something.

As someone probably up to a similar point on to you, this is so spot on. But I'm loving it. Kinda in a fantasy nerd mode at the moment though, playing a wizard in Diablo III and reading this.

It is drat long though, I'm reading it on Kindle, how many pages is the paper version?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Paperbook version I have is around 650

Probably the shortest book of the series

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Orb Scepter Throne is actually very good, much better than the previous ICE books. It's not perfect but it's on par with the top half of Erikson's books.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
are all the I.C.E. books related, or are they each their own self contained story?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They're mostly self-contained, although the plotline of some characers continue on into later books. I've still not read OST though so I can only speak to the first three.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
There definitely is an overarching story developing in ICE's novels. It's not always obvious who the big players in the game are, but OST makes things clearer, and sets many interesting elements in motion. I think it's worth reading for Antsy's dungeon crawl alone.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

Antsy's dungeon crawl

Welp, this just sold me on it. Gonna need to pick this up.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Orb Scepter Throne is actually very good, much better than the previous ICE books. It's not perfect but it's on par with the top half of Erikson's books.

In the first 5 pages of the prologue (in OST) Kruppe sounds like he went full-retard. He's not Kruppe the long-winded genius, he's Kruppe "Simple Jack" The Retard.

Or was that just me? Read Kruppe from Eriksons books when he talks to the Alchemist, then read that conversation from OST.

I stopped reading right there for the night. :( I'll pick it back up tonight and see if it gets better.

Edit: These arent spoilers I dont think, the book takes place in Djar Dharjus the big D city where all these characters live.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Yea, Esslemont's Kruppe wasnt at all like Erikson's Kruppe, but all the other returning characters have been fine so far (about 18% through). Really looking forward to "Antsy's dungeon crawl" :allears:

VVVV I agree only for Toll the Hounds :argh:

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 23, 2012

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Erikson's Kruppe is a long-winded fantasy exposition machine, so I'm not certain it's a real loss.

Yeah I read books.
Feb 28, 2006

uhh yeah dude
When should ICE's books be read with relation to Eriksons?

Also, it took me some time to get into Midnight Tides, but I just started Book 3 and I have to say I'm really really enjoying it. Tehol and Bugg own so hard, I really love reading their passages

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah I read books. posted:

When should ICE's books be read with relation to Eriksons?

Night of Knives is essentially a prequel to the whole series, so you could read it before everything.

Return of the Crimson Guard occurs almost immediately after The Bonehunters following the story that the main series left behind so to speak.

Stonewielder and Orb, Scepter, Throne happen concurrently in different parts of the world with Dust of Dreams and possibly The Crippled God. You can read them before, in between, or after. For my part (based purely on release dates), I read Stonewielder between DoD and TCG and OST after.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god no. Read Night of Knives before Bonehunters. You can tell they phoned each other and synched up while they were writing those two. NoK is pretty weak and may put you off the whole series if you start with it. And you won't understand the significance of what's going on either.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
"Too many words - to have carved all these letters would have taken years, and only a madman would do such a thing."

:aaa:

Just got the thread title.

I just started House of Chains and I am loving this series. For the 2nd and 3rd books however I fell into this trap of getting stuck and putting the books down for a few months around the 50% mark..hopefully that won't happen this time.

One thing that bothers me about Erikson's writing is when he uses an uncommon/archaic word like "susurration" 4 or 5 times within a couple pages.
Cool word bro.
This seems to happen a lot :(

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

There is a 2 book span where he just keeps using the word detritus. I'm a Sam and Max fan, and every time he used it, I just pictured them saying it.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Pegnose Pete posted:

One thing that bothers me about Erikson's writing is when he uses an uncommon/archaic word like "susurration" 4 or 5 times within a couple pages.
Cool word bro.
This seems to happen a lot :(

Just checked.

"Susurration" appears:

- 2 in MT
- 1 time in HoC
- 6 in MoI
- 2 in DG
- Never in GotM

You overestimated it a bit, huh? ;)

Dilber posted:

There is a 2 book span where he just keeps using the word detritus. I'm a Sam and Max fan, and every time he used it, I just pictured them saying it.

That one I've checked too in the past.

I think there was only one book where "detritus" appeared 9 times. I guess it's not a big deal if a word is repeated nine times across a thousand pages...

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 27, 2012

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Do me a favor and check for "the smell of rotting ice" or whatever it is.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
That's my favorite feature of e-readers, the dictionary. When i first started reading this series id kept a notepad and filled it with words id want to lookup later. Sometimes I would, more often i wouldnt, but with an e-reader it is so quick and easy.

And in a series like this, if you have a previous book in ebook form, and youre wondering "who the gently caress was this person again" or "what was that part with the special blah blah" the search function makes it so easy to look it up. I had to refresh myself on some of Esslemont's characters in Orb Scepter Throne.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

angerbot posted:

Do me a favor and check for "the smell of rotting ice" or whatever it is.

Man I haven't read the books since I finished TCG a year ago and I still know that he says that exactly every time Omtose Phellack is mentioned or used or anything

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I don't wanna get all defensive but it has a pretty distinct smell so I thought it was rather good.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

the least weasel posted:

I don't wanna get all defensive but it has a pretty distinct smell so I thought it was rather good.

Shut up Steven Erikson and write more books about Karsa.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'm going to be starting The Bonehunters tonight after taking a couple month break from the series to read some non-fiction. Looking forward to delving back into the world.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Somewhere in this thread there's a line chart of Erikson's favorite words across books. Turgid is one of the most egregious. Every body of water is turgid in BotF.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

Somewhere in this thread there's a line chart of Erikson's favorite words across books. Turgid is one of the most egregious. Every body of water is turgid in BotF.

Common word enough and adjective. Makes sense it's a bit more frequent:

GotM: 5
DG: 6
MoI: 12
HoC: 4
MT: 7

TTH: 7
DoD: 5
TCG: 2

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

the least weasel posted:

You know how freezers get after a while if you don't clean them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

A cool thing to do would be to make a wordcloud where the size of the word is related to how much more frequently Erickson uses it than it appears in some other English corpus.