Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

smackfu posted:

Wow, ITunes wants $7 an episode for Sherlock. So I guess that's one way to get your money's worth out of NetFlix.

You can watch series 2 on the PBS website for free. Decent quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
To be fair, each episode of Sherlock is basically a feature-length film. $7 is pretty reasonable when you consider that. Unless you're only going to watch it once, I guess.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

mod sassinator posted:

Check out any other doc by Herzog--he has a ton of them and they're all stellar IMHO. Of the four that are on Netflix now, Encounters at the end of the World is most like Cave of Forgotten Dreams. Check out Grizzly Man though, it's great but more of a study of a single person. Into the Abyss is a little more mainstream friendly but also good.

Yea I checked out Encounters right after I watched Cave (well the next day), and I've seen Grizzly Man a while ago, might be time to watch it again. I was always hesitant to watch Into the Abyss because the subject matter doesn't interest me toooooo terribly much, but I suppose that's how you find nice surprises.

Are there any other directors who make Documentaries similar to Werner Herzog? His are so awesome and he's so crazy in a good way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RizieN posted:

Are there any other directors who make Documentaries similar to Werner Herzog? His are so awesome and he's so crazy in a good way.

I would argue that Errol Morris does.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I watched Groundhog day last night and holy gently caress, that movie owns. Bill Murray at his best with hilarious dialogue, a fun plot and even though he repeats the same day over and over, the way they play out never gets repetitive.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I just watched the recently added Boy Wonder and while it's mostly another blue-tinted thriller, it's also a pretty interesting take on the full-to-bursting superhero genre. It makes a decent companion to Chronicle.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life was just added today. This is a fantastic dramatization of Gainsbourg's life. Seriously, go watch it now even if you're not a huge fan of his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojRyGQP4x8

edit: Oh yeah, all the seasons of Dawson's Creek are on instant now too--the perfect way to fill your need for late 90's teen sex drama.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 22, 2012

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I would argue that Errol Morris does.

I would argue that Errol Morris does not.

I'm a huge fan of Herzog's documentaries (feature films, too -- and some of his films are somewhere inbetween the two), and I don't mean to suggest that Errol Morris isn't a skilled documentary maker in his own right, but they have very different approaches to people, the world, storytelling, and editing. I don't think Morris could ever scratch the itch for more of something like Herzog.

I would admit with a little sadness that Into the Abyss felt pretty phoned in and by-the-book, and feels closest to a Morris film. Again, not to poo poo on Morris; Morris helped write the book on how a typical documentary is shot and constructed, but to the point where his work all feels like something you've seen a thousand times. The Thin Blue Line, one of his most award-winning works, basically looks and feels exactly like a late-night A&E crime special, complete with lame, repetitive dramatizations of events. But it's probably the reason A&E crime specials are modeled that way, and I guess it was original for its time.

There are actually a lot of Herzog documentaries you can find floating around YouTube and elsewhere, and I would really recommend checking some more of them out if you haven't. Their ability to transfix and hypnotize while being watched and haunt long after being watched is something still uniquely Herzog, I think, as is what he chooses to focus on (not just the main subject matter, but the details). The way he lingers on someone just a little too long when they're done talking. He finds people with incredible goals (and sometimes incredible accomplishments already under their belt) and pushes them right to the edge of admitting their dreams may be impossible. The absurd questions he asks and consistently over-the-top narration. Really, the most interesting thing about many Herzog documentaries is Werner Herzog.

I hope it's not against the rules to post these here, but I would really, really recommend watching The Great Ecstasy of the Sculptor Steiner (about a man who almost flies), The White Diamond (about a man who wants to fly), and La Soufrière (searching for people who choose to remain on their volcanic island that is due to erupt any day).

For Netflix content:

Ma Mère has been streaming for a long while, but I didn't see it recommended yet in this thread, so allow me to do so. A friend of mine recommended this to me with the disclaimer, "I can't really recommend this without feeling like you're judging me," so I will give you all the same disclaimer. It is a coming of age story (emphasis on the coming :tipshat:) about a virginal teenage boy who visits his mother in the Canary Islands and is taken into her world of sexual games and hedonism. I know that makes it sound like a Skinemax flick, but I really think it is a well-crafted film, and the events of the film do not unfold without conflict or consequence. Solidly filmed, solidly acted (Isabelle Huppert and Louis Garrel), and well worth watching, though it may leave you wanting a shower (which, let's be honest, is never a bad thing for goons).

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Balancing Monsters posted:

I hope it's not against the rules to post these here, but I would really, really recommend watching The Great Ecstasy of the Sculptor Steiner (about a man who almost flies), The White Diamond (about a man who wants to fly), and La Soufrière (searching for people who choose to remain on their volcanic island that is due to erupt any day).

Don't forget a doc about a man who needs to fly, Little Dieter Needs To Fly--great Herzog doc about a truly awesome and bizarre Vietnam POW. It was on Netflix streaming a couple years ago but is sadly gone now.

For Netflix content:

Ma Mère has been streaming for a long while, but I didn't see it recommended yet in this thread, so allow me to do so. A friend of mine recommended this to me with the disclaimer, "I can't really recommend this without feeling like you're judging me," so I will give you all the same disclaimer. It is a coming of age story (emphasis on the coming :tipshat:) about a virginal teenage boy who visits his mother in the Canary Islands and is taken into her world of sexual games and hedonism. I know that makes it sound like a Skinemax flick, but I really think it is a well-crafted film, and the events of the film do not unfold without conflict or consequence. Solidly filmed, solidly acted (Isabelle Huppert and Louis Garrel), and well worth watching, though it may leave you wanting a shower (which, let's be honest, is never a bad thing for goons).

If you have Hulu plus, check out Premiers Desirs, which is basically a more artistic skinemax flick with some smoking hot French chicks that are constantly topless. Really beautiful cinematography with tons of soft light too.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 22, 2012

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Subjectively I much prefer Morris' detached style to Herzog's editorializing.
Check out Fog of War as a very nice example of Morris work.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
This feels like as good of an excuse as any to link to a couple of somewhat lengthy conversations about Werner Herzog and Errol Morris.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Instant has a strangely comprehensive selection of mlitainment, but they just added Lock and Load with R. Lee Ermey. If you enjoyed Full Metal Jacket or any other movies he's been in, it's definitely worth watching to see him crack jokes and win the war on watermelons with insane amounts of firepower.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
re: Morris & Herzog

Thanks dudes, I've got some new reading & watching to do!

I also agree that what draws me to Herzog's docs are the questions he asks the people, and his narration and just the things he's interested in asking as opposed to other people focusing on a science & education type doc (which I like a lot too, but Herzog's are like a fresh unique take on docs).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I'm a huge fan of Herzog's documentaries (feature films, too -- and some of his films are somewhere inbetween the two), and I don't mean to suggest that Errol Morris isn't a skilled documentary maker in his own right, but they have very different approaches to people, the world, storytelling, and editing. I don't think Morris could ever scratch the itch for more of something like Herzog.

No doubt, and I don't really mean to suggest their mode is similar - just that Morris is a great example of a modern documentarian who still uses the traditional mode in a more "conversational" style. I mean it to distinguish it from the partisan interrogation of the Michael Moore/Morgan Spurlock style. Probably closest would be, what, the Vice documentary series? The Louis Theroux stuff?

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No doubt, and I don't really mean to suggest their mode is similar - just that Morris is a great example of a modern documentarian who still uses the traditional mode in a more "conversational" style. I mean it to distinguish it from the partisan interrogation of the Michael Moore/Morgan Spurlock style. Probably closest would be, what, the Vice documentary series? The Louis Theroux stuff?

Ah, I do not disagree with this then. Sorry for my tiny fanboy war path :)

The only Theroux I've seen was his doc about the Westboro Baptist folks, but I could definitely see the similarities in his interview style. The main difference being that Theroux still manages to be fairly sane and objective, I think, while Herzog does not necessarily base his conclusions on the evidence he gathers. A far cry, for sure, though, from the styles of Moore and Murlock.

Morris' Vernon, Florida is streaming and I am going to watch it now because I feel bad for being mean about him. I have not seen Fog of War, as recommended above, but will do so if I can get my hands on it.

a radii hike posted:

lengthy conversations about Werner Herzog and Errol Morris.

Thank you for this! I will check these out today.

mod sassinator posted:

Little Dieter Needs To Fly

I have not seen this one! I bought Breaking Dawn, the feature film Herzog made about this story, and it was just awful. A lot of Herzog's more recent feature films have been huge let downs. My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done was one of the laziest and least interesting movies I've seen in a long time, and it is exactly the kind of story that Herzog should be able to excel with. I really like Michael Shannon, too (who stars in MSMSWHYD). I get the sense that one of these days he's going to get the role that's perfect for him and give an incredible performance. Shotgun Stories is really drat good, though it's no longer streaming. He also stars in The Missing Person, which is not incredible, but an entertaining little modern noir flick.

mod sassinator posted:

If you have Hulu plus, check out Premiers Desirs, which is basically a more artistic skinemax flick with some smoking hot French chicks that are constantly topless. Really beautiful cinematography with tons of soft light too.

I can't tell if you're making fun of me for recommending Ma Mere or if you're legitimately recommending this :smith:. Either way, I do not have Hulu Plus, but I will try to watch this with my buddy who does.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Also, Morris's style only feels detached compared to the more confrontational stance a lot of modern documentaries take. At the time, The Thin Blue Line was influential in the way it was made with a very clear subjective opinion in mind. (Although Michael Moore kind of blew that away the very next year.)

I've always been underwhelmed with Herzog's documentaries for the reasons already posted. Sometimes his quirkiness works (especially in Grizzly Man and Little Dieter), but a lot of the time his tangents go nowhere or he neglects to ask someone a question that may have been obvious and cliched but nonetheless would have probably have the most interesting answer considering the topic and person he's interviewing.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 22, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ah, I do not disagree with this then. Sorry for my tiny fanboy war path :)

The only Theroux I've seen was his doc about the Westboro Baptist folks, but I could definitely see the similarities in his interview style. The main difference being that Theroux still manages to be fairly sane and objective, I think, while Herzog does not necessarily base his conclusions on the evidence he gathers. A far cry, for sure, though, from the styles of Moore and Murlock.

Hey, no problem. The way I took the question is "if I hadn't watched any documentaries before, what are some like this?" Practically nobody makes documentaries like Herzog, but you could steer someone to documentaries with a similar tone.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Herzog's feature films are hit and miss for me, but his documentaries are flawless, and if you have a problem with them the problem is probably with you.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Just watched Drive because of this thread (been out of commission a few days due to Diablo 3). And holy poo poo is it amazing. Screw the haters. The Cinematography is superb and the soundtrack is nothing short of amazing. The writing is what it is, but I loved it.

I'm probably going to watch it a few more times once I get a hold of the blu ray to see the commentary and what not. Will admit, not at all what I expected, but happier with that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

I can't tell if you're making fun of me for recommending Ma Mere or if you're legitimately recommending this :smith:. Either way, I do not have Hulu Plus, but I will try to watch this with my buddy who does.

It's actually not bad--kind of a meh plot but really beautiful cinematography.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Man a lady vanishes is weird. It's almost an ensemble comedy for 20 minutes.
The a potted plant falls and tension, intrigue, and its baby cousin LOOMING WWII, strangle your nerves and throw sanity into question.

Slick direction and honest war fears turn a tale of a missing person and frames it in a voyeurs dance with danger. More films need to be stuck on trains.
I'm looking at you, Avengers II.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Careful with The Chaser, it's great and your not gonna feel great when it's over. Its in my Grave of the fireflys bin of movies that are excellent and I wish I could forget scenes from.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Man a lady vanishes is weird. It's almost an ensemble comedy for 20 minutes.
The a potted plant falls and tension, intrigue, and its baby cousin LOOMING WWII, strangle your nerves and throw sanity into question.

Slick direction and honest war fears turn a tale of a missing person and frames it in a voyeurs dance with danger. More films need to be stuck on trains.
I'm looking at you, Avengers II.

I really don't know how to feel about A Lady Vanishes. I liked what they were doing, I just didn't like how they did it. There were so many times where I was just "Oh my god don't believe that guy! Really! You believed that guy!" After it was all said and done, I didn't really feel any one way or the other about it. That said, if it was the first of it's kind, it's influence can be seen in a lot of movies and I have to respect it for that.

Junkie Disease posted:

Careful with The Chaser, it's great and your not gonna feel great when it's over. Its in my Grave of the fireflys bin of movies that are excellent and I wish I could forget scenes from.

This is the entire point of the Chaser. I have to admit, I love movies that enthrall you, but when all is said and done you're just sad afterwards. The "Requiem for A Dream" movies if you will. It's rare a movie can play with your emotions so easily, yet not feel so cheap, like say Pay it Forward.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 23, 2012

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Junkie Disease posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a South Korean movie that this doesn't apply to.

No, wait, I guess I did see Aachi and Ssipak.

e: vvv Will definitely watch it, but somehow I don't quite believe you. vvv

Shanty fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 23, 2012

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Shanty posted:

You ever see My Sassy Girl? There's nothing negative in the movie. All smiles all the way!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Terrorvision is one of the greatest nightmare inducing horror comedys of the 80s.

Flash Gordon Serials are a fun look into dedicated actors wearing refurbed hawk wings and shower drapes like a second skin.

Evolver is a film where a toy robot gun learns TO KILL

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Shanty posted:

e: vvv Will definitely watch it, but somehow I don't quite believe you. vvv

The Man from Nowhere.

It's dark, but it's not especially depressing, given that most of the movie is a guy running around brutally beating the poo poo out of drug dealers.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

I have not seen this one! I bought Breaking Dawn, the feature film Herzog made about this story, and it was just awful.

I think you mean Rescue Dawn, and it's actually a really drat good movie. One of Christian Bale's better performances.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Currently watching and loving He Was a Quiet Man.

Stolen from the Netflix blub:

Cubicle worker Bob is a resentful outsider who's started carrying a gun in case he gets the courage to use it on some of his co-workers. But when one of those co-workers starts shooting, Bob guns him down and becomes an inadvertent hero.

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

Hirsute posted:

I think you mean Rescue Dawn, and it's actually a really drat good movie. One of Christian Bale's better performances.

That is such an embarrassing mistake that I am not even going to defend my position on the movie. Good lord.

Compared to Heart of Glass, Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo, etc., it just can't even stand worthy to be counted. Bale's performance is good, but the movie is so completely paint-by-numbers and has almost no heart to it. I've seen worse movies, but I've seen few movies that were such a let down.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

WickedIcon posted:

The Man from Nowhere.

It's dark, but it's not especially depressing, given that most of the movie is a guy running around brutally beating the poo poo out of drug dealers.

This movie is awesome and I watch it at least once a month, which is about as close to OPEN_PALM_SLAM.txt as I will admit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

I don't know when they got added, but The Addam's Family and Addam's Family Values both got added to Netflix.

I will fight anyone who says that these are not good movies.

Raul Julia has more charisma dead than Johnny Depp had at any point in any of the poo poo remakes where he's the lead.

If we could have only got one more Addams Family movie out of Raul before he died. I'll forever love Values if only for the scene where Gomez is calling day-time talk shows from that motel.

"Sally!"
"For the last time, Mr. Addams, we DON'T know where (the witch covens) meet!"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension last night and, uh, that sure was something.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension last night and, uh, that sure was something.

That was pretty much my reaction when I watched it a few weeks ago.

Although it's worth it just to see John Lithgow and Christopher Lloyd tearing scenery apart like rabid wolves.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It's not just something! It's everything! I love that movie. It simultaneously spoofs and lovingly imitates science fiction that builds a massive universe for no reason other than to build a massive universe.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow I had no idea Buckaroo was on instant. I looked a long while back and was sad to see it wasn't there. Best ending credits ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqJ3iGBdOo

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's not just something! It's everything! I love that movie. It simultaneously spoofs and lovingly imitates science fiction that builds a massive universe for no reason other than to build a massive universe.

I think the best description of Buckaroo Banzai is that it's what 1980s America would did come up with as an answer to Doctor Who.

edit - I have no idea if Doctor Who had anything to do with Banzai's creation, but a half-American, half-Japanese brain surgeon rock star nuclear physicist with a rocket powered transdimensional jetcar is pretty much the 80s encapsulated.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 24, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

... a half-American, half-Japanese brain surgeon rock star nuclear physicist with a rocket powered transdimensional jetcar is pretty much the 80s encapsulated.awesome encapsulated.

Ftfy.

Well, the 80's were awesome so...

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Terrifying Effigies posted:

edit - I have no idea if Doctor Who had anything to do with Banzai's creation, but a half-American, half-Japanese brain surgeon rock star nuclear physicist with a rocket powered transdimensional jetcar is pretty much the 80s encapsulated.

Don't forget that the half-American, half-Japanese brain surgeon rock star nuclear physicist is also a secret agent who has a direct line to the president, and is also played by Peter Weller.

Buckaroo Banzai is amazing because it intentionally tries to explain as little about the Buckaroo Banzai universe as possible, and tries to keep the audience confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Shanty posted:

Finally a chance to shoehorn in one of my absolute favorite movies and prove you wrong.

Castaway on the Moon

I originally found this movie through this thread's PYF counterpart, so I'm sure it's been mentioned. Well screw that, CotM needs all the recommendation it can get.

Cast Away on the Moon stars Jae-yeong Jeong as Kim Seong-geun, who after being dumped by his girlfriend and drowned by debt decides the only path left is to commit suicde by jumping into the Han River, on a account of his inability to swim. (Un)fortunately for Kim, he washes ashore on a small island in the middle of the river and finds himself stranded in heart of Seoul without any hope for rescue by the millions of citizens just a swim away.

At the same time, a facially-scarred recluse named Kim Jung-Yeon (Jung Ryeo-Won) spots Seong-geun's help signals through her telescope during an air raid drill and deems him an alien crashlanded on a desert island. With a bit of courage and a simple "Hello," the two begin a heartwarming relationship built on bottles and sand.

I don't think I can put into words how much I loved this movie. It's funny, it's sad, it's beautiful, heartwrenching, deep and manages to make Instant Jajangmyeon (noodles in black bean sauce) look like the single most delicious meal to ever exist in all of humanity's existence. It's like someone took all the food from anime, combined it with the feasts from MGM cartoons and then zapped it into reality. The movie has some really sad moments, but it all pays off beautifully in the end.

Speaking of Asian movies, I took up the recommendation of Fish Story.

Hoooooooooolly loving hell that was an amazing movie. When I first heard the theme I was a tad underwhelmed, but by the time the "tie everything together" montage came along I couldn't stop grinning. I've been listing to the namesake song on loop for days. I actually really liked the scenes of Gekirin sitting around and talking about the band being dropped; it felt real and made me sympathize with these musical greats struck down into obscurity by their unfortunate decade. The pastry chef fight scenes were amazing too, especially when he's doing flips and kicks and poo poo to Fish Story. All in all a fantastic if slightly long movie that everyone should see in full.

• Locked thread