Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Yeah, they don't need to be on 10 to sound great but they sound better when you are cooking the tubes, no doubt about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007
I'm looking at replacing my solid state Vox VT50 w/ a factory restock Vox AC15C1. Anyone have any experience with these? I've only heard good things about them and that they take pedals really well.

It looks like the restock ones are selling for about ~$475 or so, which seems like a really good deal. I know it's not going to be quite as loud as my 50w solid state, but I am imagining that it will sound quite a bit better and I mic my amp anyhow. I also am guessing I could swap out the tubes and speaker later on if I want to.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just went to guitar center to pick up some strings, and ended up playing through a pignose g40v for a while. It's really noisy at low volumes which I'm not a big fan of, but $175 seems like a pretty decent price. Thoughts?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

I know it's not going to be quite as loud as my 50w solid state
Loud ain't measured in watts, son. I'll eat a hat if the VT50 is actually louder than the AC15.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I want a Marshall JVM, but I don't really know whether I should get a combo or head+cab.

I don't have any cabinets already, and I like the idea of having two different speakers in the combo.

At our rehearsal space there's a lovely H&K half-stack so it would be easier to get the amp there as I don't have a car.

When I have to go places to play there's less poo poo to move if I get a combo.

Also, the head+cab configuration seems to be more expensive.

What should I do?

I live in Denmark if that matters.

EDIT: I play old-ish hard rock.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 20, 2012

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lots of venues will let(prefer) you use their cabinets so with a head/cab set up you may often end up bringing only the head.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I've got a fender blues jr. that makes a crackling sound on long held out chords. The volume I'm playing at doesn't matter, it will crackle at all volumes but the crackle is softer at softer volumes and louder as you turn the amp up. I've swapped the pre amp tubes with tubes that I know are perfect and it still happens, I've used multiple guitars, and the power amp tubes are brand new. Anyone have any ideas?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

HollisBrown posted:

I've got a fender blues jr. that makes a crackling sound on long held out chords. The volume I'm playing at doesn't matter, it will crackle at all volumes but the crackle is softer at softer volumes and louder as you turn the amp up. I've swapped the pre amp tubes with tubes that I know are perfect and it still happens, I've used multiple guitars, and the power amp tubes are brand new. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm sorry if this is a super basic thing you've already done, but when I had crackling issues on long notes, it ended up being a bad, but still functional, cable. I guess it was more obvious in my case because the signal crackled whenever the cable moved in any way.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

HollisBrown posted:

You should certainly rule out the cheapest things first (output jack, cable like TyChan said), but since it happens on sustained chords, it seems more like either a cold solder joint in the power section or a blown speaker. If you can, try to connect it to a different external speaker (kind of a hassle in the Blues Jr, but worth it in that you can upgrade to a far better speaker than Fender could offer in a mass produced amp). If it still does it with a different speaker, it's probably a connection in your power section; bring it a good tech.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I think I actually figure it out: Loose Power Tube. I took all the tubes out and reseated them and it's gone for the time being.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

HollisBrown posted:

I think I actually figure it out: Loose Power Tube. I took all the tubes out and reseated them and it's gone for the time being.

An even cheaper answer! If they keep working their way loose, you may need to have the socket re-tensioned - but this shouldn't be a problem with light-weight EL84s.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Boz0r posted:

I want a Marshall JVM, but I don't really know whether I should get a combo or head+cab.

Sorry I'm jumping on this so late, but there haven't been many replies so I thought I'd weigh in. Personally, I absolutely love using a combo: no speaker cables to worry about, it actually fits in my car, I can get it in a single trip... There a are a couple advantages to a half stack that should be acknowledged, though:
  • Having four speakers, including two at a higher level and angled, will fill the hell out of a room.
  • It's a lot easier to experiment with with different speakers since you can just swap out the cab.
  • Swapping out tubes on most heads is way easier than most combos, since you generally have more room and don't have to work around the speakers.
  • Half-stacks are a lot more durable. You can let the cab take all the abuse live touring offers, and still get to baby the head. You almost never see shared-off knobs and switches on used heads, and it's easy to see why. The one real bit of damage I've had on my combo was getting it out of the car by myself, slipping, and ripping the volume pot as it fell. Those kinds of accidents don't happen when the more fragile unit is easier to take care of.

So, in short, it's really the right one for you. A good combo will always be loud enough, worry not.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I've grown accustomed to the tube amp goodness my electric guitar plays through at my music teacher's and am in the market for one. Any reason not to go for an Orange Tiny Terror combo amp? I don't really care about distortion, overdrive, or effects.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

ibntumart posted:

I've grown accustomed to the tube amp goodness my electric guitar plays through at my music teacher's and am in the market for one. Any reason not to go for an Orange Tiny Terror combo amp? I don't really care about distortion, overdrive, or effects.

I thought the whole point of the Tiny Terror was it's distorted and overdriven sounds? I've heard the cleans are underwhelming but haven't played through one myself. I'd say it's a fine buy if you're really into the sound, but a bit expensive if you're not getting a good used deal.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
It is quite expensive for a first tube head, but if you can swing it... at least the resale value would be high!

The Fender Blues Jr and Peavey Classic 30 are somewhat cheaper entry points if you're looking to buy new.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
It'd be for about $600, but after reading you guys' responses, I did a bit more research and decided it's probably not the one for me. At least not now.

The Fender Blues Junior was the other amp I was seriously considering. Any difference between the Western and the regular version other than the color scheme or is the price tag difference just for the cosmetic appeal? Edit: Never mind, found out it's the latter.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 7, 2012

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know you can hurt a guitar speaker by playing loud bass through it, but will loud bass hurt the amp itself?
I want to make some nice bass sounds on my synth and I know my speaker is up to the task, but I'm less confident in my understanding of amps. It's a Vox Night Train, if that matters.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

rt4 posted:

I know you can hurt a guitar speaker by playing loud bass through it, but will loud bass hurt the amp itself?
I want to make some nice bass sounds on my synth and I know my speaker is up to the task, but I'm less confident in my understanding of amps. It's a Vox Night Train, if that matters.

As in hurting the electronics of the amp? No. Only the speaker is really at risk. You can play a bass through a guitar head if you use a bass cab. It will sound real middy but it is a guitar amp after all.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

rt4 posted:

Even guitar speakers are for the most part really durable. Word from the guy I use who is an amp tech 2 the stars is that you can turn it up until you start to hear the cone start to get "farty" and that's where you've exceeded the thing's maximum-designed SPL for those frequencies, and should dial it back a notch from there. There is no risk of damaging the circuitry

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I feel much better about what I'm doing with my synthesizer now. I had damaged a speaker with a bass guitar as a teenager and didn't want to risk doing something stupid again.

On a related point, I was looking up some ideas on dealing with the motors in my Leslie and found this :stare:

Amory
Mar 10, 2011

SHELLSHOCK, PARALYSIS, SLEEPWALKING, any Child who is Backward in Study, and BAD HABITS of any kind PERMANENTLY REMOVED, Etc.
Late to the conversation, but I've enjoyed catching up on this thread. I just got myself a Line 6 Vetta II half stack, practically on impulse. My local music shop got a big order in after they were discontinued so were selling them off at a fraction of the price, at the time I was looking to get a new amp and effects set up anyhow.

Enjoying it a lot so far, but only gigged with it once, and for that I only had a day to set up what patches I needed. The main difference I find so far is that it's by no means an amp in the same way another typically would be, like the ones mostly described so far in this thread. For example, I've taken my old trustworthy Marshall VS265 2x12 apart to resolder three times at least, plus the reverb no longer works so it's either 'off' or '3,000 mile underground cave system'; it has as much character as any of my guitars. Whereas the Vetta is more like a whole new experience, like a very capable tool as opposed to a real instrument like the old cabs it tried to replicate.

The sounds it gets live are fantastic, some of the additional features like stereo double tracking are hard to obtain with conventionally amps, not to mention the convenience aspect. Although It still doesn't fill like a 'real amp'. Maybe that will change as I get used to it though :)

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

Amory posted:

Late to the conversation, but I've enjoyed catching up on this thread. I just got myself a Line 6 Vetta II half stack, practically on impulse. My local music shop got a big order in after they were discontinued so were selling them off at a fraction of the price, at the time I was looking to get a new amp and effects set up anyhow.

Enjoying it a lot so far, but only gigged with it once, and for that I only had a day to set up what patches I needed. The main difference I find so far is that it's by no means an amp in the same way another typically would be, like the ones mostly described so far in this thread. For example, I've taken my old trustworthy Marshall VS265 2x12 apart to resolder three times at least, plus the reverb no longer works so it's either 'off' or '3,000 mile underground cave system'; it has as much character as any of my guitars. Whereas the Vetta is more like a whole new experience, like a very capable tool as opposed to a real instrument like the old cabs it tried to replicate.

The sounds it gets live are fantastic, some of the additional features like stereo double tracking are hard to obtain with conventionally amps, not to mention the convenience aspect. Although It still doesn't fill like a 'real amp'. Maybe that will change as I get used to it though :)

Get used to pulling the loving knobs off anytime you want to turn it up at all. Maybe its not as bad with the halfstack but the knobs would vibrate on my combo and any patch I was using would jump WAY THE gently caress up in volume or right off. I would have to stomp on the pedal borad to try to fix it constantly.

Amory
Mar 10, 2011

SHELLSHOCK, PARALYSIS, SLEEPWALKING, any Child who is Backward in Study, and BAD HABITS of any kind PERMANENTLY REMOVED, Etc.
I can only assume it'll be better on a separate head, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for that.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I've been very interested in buying a used Marshall JVM410 half-stack or combo. I could maybe get the top with a used Orange 2x12 with V30s for 1400€, or the combo for around 1000€. But then I got to thinking if I should spend that much on an amp when I don't really have a serious band and only play a couple of times a year.

So I was thinking of getting the Orange cab for 400€ and just buying a Bugera 1960 Infinium top for 400€ and getting the higher gain sounds from my Tubescreamer and DS-2.

I don't know what to do :( What do you guys think?

I play 70'ies/80'ies hard rock.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I think that's a lot of money and amp for only playing a couple times a year. Are you buying new? I don't know a ton about the modern high gain stuff, but it looks like there are considerably cheaper options in the JVM series if you can get by with two channels instead of four, or two channels and only 50 watts. 50 watts into a good 2 or 4x12 is very loud.

Also playing 'a couple times a year', is that live? Do you practice regularly in a rehearsal space where you can get loud? If you don't really have a serious band those two amps you listed are pretty expensive and a shitload of volume that probably won't get used.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, I've found a single 410C and a 410H both for around 1000€, both used. These are the only JVMs I've found on used sites here in Denmark.

I've thought about the 50W combos if I can't get one of those, but the cheapest one of those is 1200€ new.

A couple of times a year is live. We have a rehearsal space, but the amp I usually play on is a H&K Attax half-stack or something, quite lovely. I don't really know how loud I can get a tube amp here, but I usually run that SS amp pretty high.

In addition to that Bugera amp, I've been looking at a Traynor YCV50B, which is also supposedly pretty nice.

What I like about the JVM, though, is that it seems to do all the classic Marshall sounds pretty good, and the MIDI control makes it much easier.

I've tried contacting both the people selling the JVMs, and the combo is much easier for me to get, and also a little cheaper than the head, but that guy hasn't answered yet. If he doesn't I could buy the head and just borrow a cab from a friend until I can afford my own.

Are there othere amps that could do something near what the JVM can do at a cheaper price?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I thought this thread might appreciate this.

Olde Crow Cabinets just made a pair of cabs for a buddy of mine. Each one has a Jensen 15" and two Celestion 12"s.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Man, if I wasn't going to Europe in August I would be all over a pair of 6x12 cabs from them. They're rad people.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I recently got 65' Princeton Reissue. It's the Limited edition Orange one. Don't worry I got a good deal and certainly didn't pay extra for the orange tolex. Anyway, I really love the sound but I think it would sound amazing with a little bit smoother sounding speaker. I find the Jensens just a bit harsh in the high mids.

What would be a good after market speaker? I play country, folk, blues, and classic rock stuff.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

HollisBrown posted:

I recently got 65' Princeton Reissue. It's the Limited edition Orange one. Don't worry I got a good deal and certainly didn't pay extra for the orange tolex. Anyway, I really love the sound but I think it would sound amazing with a little bit smoother sounding speaker. I find the Jensens just a bit harsh in the high mids.

What would be a good after market speaker? I play country, folk, blues, and classic rock stuff.

I'm a huge fan of Weber speakers. I had used the Jensens in another amp rehabilitation project and wasn't thrilled either, so when I picked up my '77 Princeton Reverb and found a cheap replacement speaker in it, I went straight to their site.

Their "Vintage" series are all basically high end re-makes of famous speakers, but you can tweak your preferences. I went with the 10F150T (ceramic), which is essentially the Blackface-era Oxford/Jensen, but went with the higher power since I like to blast the poo poo out of it with fuzz and distortion. Whenever I take it out, everyone loves it, and a few old-timers have said it's one of the best sounding Princetons they've ever heard... so I don't tell them it's the usually frowned-upon Boost version.

I later went with their California 12s for my '81 Twin Reverb when the the original Fender speakers finally gave out (CBS famously didn't upgrade the speakers when they demanded the amp power be increased from 100 to 135 watts) - those are basically the JBL D120F from 60s Twins, but rated at 80 watts each. Even though the amp now tops out at something like 115 lbs, it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.

So dig around for a while, you may want to go with the "earlier breakup" types if you want to throw some speaker distortion into the mix for blues or the Alnico magnet if you want something older-school.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I just got a used Line 6 Spider Valve MKii HD100 (Bogner) and while I love the clean tones I get from it, I cannot for the life of me get a good distortion tone. I play prog death metal, and with the terrible line 6 4x12 I have (don't know what model it is exactly. it's not very good though) I can't get a precise yet gnarly tone. I'm either constantly overpowered by my other guitarist's 6505 and same cab, or I'm overbearingly gainy to the point of incoherence and it seems no matter what I do the low-end is constantly muddying everything up for me. Is it more a matter of EQing, or does having a cheapo cab really hinder the tonal possibilities?

I'm looking for a different cab regardless but I have pretty much zero experience with them. Can anyone who's played the MKII weigh in on some good cab combinations? I'd like to get away from Line 6 if possible but I'm on quite a budget. I have heard good things about Avatar for the pricerange. Are those good cabs for a diverse yet mostly heavy death metal sound?

Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

the Bunt posted:

I just got a used Line 6 Spider Valve MKii HD100 (Bogner) and while I love the clean tones I get from it, I cannot for the life of me get a good distortion tone. I play prog death metal, and with the terrible line 6 4x12 I have (don't know what model it is exactly. it's not very good though) I can't get a precise yet gnarly tone. I'm either constantly overpowered by my other guitarist's 6505 and same cab, or I'm overbearingly gainy to the point of incoherence and it seems no matter what I do the low-end is constantly muddying everything up for me. Is it more a matter of EQing, or does having a cheapo cab really hinder the tonal possibilities?

I'm looking for a different cab regardless but I have pretty much zero experience with them. Can anyone who's played the MKII weigh in on some good cab combinations? I'd like to get away from Line 6 if possible but I'm on quite a budget. I have heard good things about Avatar for the pricerange. Are those good cabs for a diverse yet mostly heavy death metal sound?

Almost anything would be better than a Line 6 cab. Avatar does indeed make great custom cabs if that's what you want. You can find cheap mesas if you look hard/long enough. It's almost hard to NOT be able to find an upgrade to a Line 6 cab honestly.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that has a really low-buzzy hum to it that's responsive to the notes I play, especially down on the E string. I replaced the power amp tubes but it's still there. I'm thinking either it's the preamp tube or the speaker is just blown/damaged. I could record a sound sample for better diagnoses.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
What's the best way to figure out where a short is coming from? I picked up an old Rex Royal amp, and it was initially great, but now I can't touch it without getting a shock. I actually can't think of many things that have felt worse than grabbing my guitar and getting shocked in both hands at once through the strings.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Manky posted:

What's the best way to figure out where a short is coming from? I picked up an old Rex Royal amp, and it was initially great, but now I can't touch it without getting a shock. I actually can't think of many things that have felt worse than grabbing my guitar and getting shocked in both hands at once through the strings.

Take it in to a tech.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Noise Machine posted:

Have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that has a really low-buzzy hum to it that's responsive to the notes I play, especially down on the E string. I replaced the power amp tubes but it's still there. I'm thinking either it's the preamp tube or the speaker is just blown/damaged. I could record a sound sample for better diagnoses.

Speakers are the most likely culprit - can you run to an external cab and see if it's still doing it?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
I'm doing a show friday and I'd like some advice on how to mike my amp. I've got a Marshall JVM410C with a Vintage 30 and a G12 Heritage speaker. My idea is to mike each speaker and hard pan them left and right to get a bigger sound but I'm not experienced in this stuff at all. How would you do it?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Noise Machine posted:

Usually this is damage to the cone; they can be easily repaired by a technician or if you feel like tackling it too. There's this adhesive that fixes tears and things, a usual cause of this is the tines on a combo amp's cable tearing the cone during transport. You hit a bump or something and the plug is in the back of the amp, and there ya go: torn cone.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Boz0r posted:

I'm doing a show friday and I'd like some advice on how to mike my amp. I've got a Marshall JVM410C with a Vintage 30 and a G12 Heritage speaker. My idea is to mike each speaker and hard pan them left and right to get a bigger sound but I'm not experienced in this stuff at all. How would you do it?

I think the differences would be too subtle. If you do have to go that route, have the sound guy do some eqing on both channels to accentuate the differences.

You're only going to get a really true sense of stereo imaging if you have 2 different amps or some kind of modulation, delay, or reverb effect running to 2 amps for that.

Stereo is having the same sound hitting your ears at subtly different times. Just having two different sounding speakers will give you more of a "super mono" effect, since its the same signal being amplified.

If you're still wanting stereo spread have the sound guy give you some kind of stereo effect on your guitar channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The Black Keys did the two-amp trick on El Camino.