Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I was quite happy seeing Throg!

I just.. wish I'd have seen more of Beta Ray Bill. I've always liked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually didn't like the latest Avengers episode. If you take away comics history and knowledge and just had it as Thor going out and meeting someone it was a seriously flat and boring story.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Space_Butler posted:

Also, a trailer briefly was leaked onto Vimeo but was almost immediately taken down. Someone managed to snag some screencaps here, though.

Looking forward to this, but I have one minor complaint... in the original comic when Batman first returns he looks like he's in the prime shape of his life and slowly over the course of the book as he gets worn out you see him looking haggard and old and wrinkly and flabby. I thought it was a brilliant way to show how he looked at himself in his own mind. The screenshots from the animated version seem to do away with this, just making him look the same in every scene.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cliff Racer posted:

I actually didn't like the latest Avengers episode. If you take away comics history and knowledge and just had it as Thor going out and meeting someone it was a seriously flat and boring story.
Well if the series weren't ending already it would be a good introduction to a new and hopefully recurring character.

Also why was he flying the Space Battleship Yamato?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cliff Racer posted:

Though it explains his absence the previous episode.

But I'll take BRB for any reason! I thought their choice of voice was spot on. I imagined something a bit more classically heroic like Thor (or maybe Mr. Ed...?) but to match his sinister look I thought the gravelly, somewhat world-weary sound of him fit the character.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Space_Butler posted:

Voice cast list is out for Dark Knight Returns, and our grizzled old Batman will be voiced by Robocop himself, Peter Weller.
That will do, but I'm disappointed they couldn't bring back Micheal Ironside for it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

I couldn't disagree more. I thought that was the single best episode yet. I especially liked the subtlety of Sif's attraction to Beta Ray Bill, and all of the heroes facing down impossible odds.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The last few months have been good to Simonson, from a recognition standpoint. USM doing the Throg story, EMH doing Beta Ray Bill, and a number of homages to the Surtur arc, and Gillen doing the same in JIM. (I'm about 4-5 issues behind on that book, but that ending with the single black panel and DOOM was awesome.) And the big Artist's Edition of his Thor work.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gaz-L posted:

The last few months have been good to Simonson, from a recognition standpoint. USM doing the Throg story, EMH doing Beta Ray Bill, and a number of homages to the Surtur arc, and Gillen doing the same in JIM. (I'm about 4-5 issues behind on that book, but that ending with the single black panel and DOOM was awesome.) And the big Artist's Edition of his Thor work.

He is also the artist on Avengers for the Avengers vs X-men tie in

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Codependent Poster posted:

I couldn't disagree more. I thought that was the single best episode yet. I especially liked the subtlety of Sif's attraction to Beta Ray Bill, and all of the heroes facing down impossible odds.

Impossible odds of one hit kill mooks?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Impossible odds of one hit kill mooks?

At least they're playing up Surtur well and actually getting me to give a poo poo about the Nine Realms. This has been a very good week for fans of Walt Simonson's Thor.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, I admit I'm not a big Thor fan, but why do people like Beta Ray Bill so much? I don't really think there's anything overly interesting about the character, but everyone always marks the gently caress out whenever he shows up in anything.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He's a horse/robot/alien Thor that has an excuse to be in space all the time. After reading Kirby/Lee's later issues of Thor, I find Bill sort of unnecessary. Thor can do cosmic just fine.

People mark the gently caress out for cosmic characters.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
He's a goofy looking minor character that is treated like a badass. Because he's kinda minor of a character when he shows up outside of comics it's kind of a treat. I think this is only his 2nd appearance in animated form. Basically he's a weird character that people love, and people love weird.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

KungFu Grip posted:

He's a goofy looking minor character that is treated like a badass.
Well, he's something of a bad rear end. He's a Thor level hero with an interesting origin story that has been in some neat stories. He's also pretty visually distinct, at least as far as hominid aliens go, while looking suitably Thor like as well. I think he's sort of neat, even if I found that episode sort of lacking.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Al Baron posted:

That will do, but I'm disappointed they couldn't bring back Micheal Ironside for it.

God, I would buy three copies if they got Ironside. He's the perfect voice actor for grizzled hardasses. He does the "it's an operating table" line so perfectly.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I laughed my rear end off when Bill showed up in Thor gear. It was so strange when you see it happen in the span of a couple of minutes. One moment, he is beating the poo poo out of Thor, and then he'd like the hammer, and then he's standing right next to Thor in the same outfit, helmet and all.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I admit I'm not a big Thor fan, but why do people like Beta Ray Bill so much? I don't really think there's anything overly interesting about the character, but everyone always marks the gently caress out whenever he shows up in anything.

I liked the episode, and I'm a big Bill fan, but for whatever reason he didn't come off as that awesome in the show to me. Maybe he was played too serious. His voice was kind of boring. But as for why I think he's great, you can pretty much count on a single hand the number of people who've been shown as worthy to wield Thor's hammer, so that, combined with the fact that Odin was so impressed with him that he granted him his own hammer, goes a long way for me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Spiderdrake posted:

Well, he's something of a bad rear end. He's a Thor level hero with an interesting origin story that has been in some neat stories. He's also pretty visually distinct, at least as far as hominid aliens go, while looking suitably Thor like as well. I think he's sort of neat, even if I found that episode sort of lacking.

I should point out that I, too, don't think there is anything wrong with Beta Ray Bill. I just think the episode was crap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For me the appeal of Bill is that he's a cooler Thor. The strength of Thor comics has usually been the Asgardian worlds and characters surrounding him, not the inherent charm of Goldilocks himself. Bill isn't much deeper or complex but I find him more entertaining in the same way that other "bad-asses" usually are: grizzled, loner, savage, etc. Not to mention that his origin is literally being better than Thor, and that it's refreshing to see someone with a totally different look. Should I pick one of several tall, blonde, blue-eyed Avengers or Horse Face Killer? Easy choice.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lobok posted:

For me the appeal of Bill is that he's a cooler Thor. The strength of Thor comics has usually been the Asgardian worlds and characters surrounding him, not the inherent charm of Goldilocks himself. Bill isn't much deeper or complex but I find him more entertaining in the same way that other "bad-asses" usually are: grizzled, loner, savage, etc. Not to mention that his origin is literally being better than Thor, and that it's refreshing to see someone with a totally different look. Should I pick one of several tall, blonde, blue-eyed Avengers or Horse Face Killer? Easy choice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I'm assuming today's episode of Green Lantern was the season finale considering they tied up all the loose ends of the whole Red Lantern invasion arc. Everyone is back in Guardian space and they've officially turned Saint Walker into Blue Lantern. I'm just wondering where they're going to go after this. I'm assuming something to do with yellow lanterns with how much they've teased the yellow energy.

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

So I'm assuming today's episode of Green Lantern was the season finale considering they tied up all the loose ends of the whole Red Lantern invasion arc. Everyone is back in Guardian space and they've officially turned Saint Walker into Blue Lantern. I'm just wondering where they're going to go after this. I'm assuming something to do with yellow lanterns with how much they've teased the yellow energy.

I did some googling and found out the full season order was 26 episodes. Not sure when the second half of the season will start airing, but the Season 1 Part 1 DVD (13 eps) is getting released at the end of August, so I guess the season will pick back up again in September.

It would be so awesome to introduce Sinestro and his Sinestro Corp, but I think they'll introduce the Manhunters and rebuilding the lost sector since that was touched upon in this last episode.

The quality of the show has gotten tremendously better with these last few eps, so I can't wait to see where it goes.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm...uh....not really sure about the newest New Teen Titans DC nation short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMk68ErfJE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That ended... dark.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
:stare:

That was not what I was expecting from the New Teen Titans shorts.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Yesterday's GL ended on a happy note, immediately soured by YJ's downer of an ending (Jaime's losing his best friend, Apache Chief, Jr).

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
I thought GL's season/mid-season finale tried to tie up way too many plot way too conveniently. Didn't anyone think it was pretty weird how the Guardians agreed to help the Red Lanterns restore the forgotten zone so easily? Not to mention how willing the Red Lanterns were to accept their offer? Seriously, all that history of murder and destruction brought to a truce so quickly?

It just didn't sit right with me. Something real bad better go down between the two sides as the series progresses because there is no way this relationship will last.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

FrostedButts posted:

I thought GL's season/mid-season finale tried to tie up way too many plot way too conveniently. Didn't anyone think it was pretty weird how the Guardians agreed to help the Red Lanterns restore the forgotten zone so easily? Not to mention how willing the Red Lanterns were to accept their offer? Seriously, all that history of murder and destruction brought to a truce so quickly?

It just didn't sit right with me. Something real bad better go down between the two sides as the series progresses because there is no way this relationship will last.

Hal Jordan's fists are a powerful motivator. Red Lantern leadership seems to be nothing without Atrocitius, but maybe if Bleez was there it would have been different. As for the Guardians, maybe they want to make them more of a redeemable group that made poor decisions than the shadowy assholes of recent comics.

This show skews young, which shows in how they try to bring clean feel good resolutions every episode. Given that, the last stretch of episodes really challenged what I expected by pulling together lots of plot strings from past episodes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sanschel posted:

Yesterday's GL ended on a happy note, immediately soured by YJ's downer of an ending (Jaime's losing his best friend, Apache Chief, Jr).

I like the fact that they made the Apache Chief family name Longshadow after the Apache Chief knockoff from JLU.

e: Also, I thought DC didn't own Apache Chief, which was the reason he never appeared in comics and got to show up on Harvey Birdman.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wonder Woman showed up on Birdman too, or at least her legs did. WB owns DC as well as all those old HB shows that they used to make fun of on Birdman. You are probably thinking of why they used an original character, Black Vulcan, on Superfriends instead of Black Lightning. And if you guessed that the reason was "so they wouldn't have to credit or pay BL's creator" then congrats, you are right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So that Atom short was the most boring thing. He's a superhero whose power is the ability to be threatened by small animals at inconvenient moments.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jack Gladney posted:

So that Atom short was the most boring thing. He's a superhero whose power is the ability to be threatened by small animals at inconvenient moments.

Which is funny, because this also happens in the most recent Ant-Man episode of EMH, though they make it clear it's only because Lang is totally unfamiliar with the powers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

The weird thing about that short is isn't this the backstory to the Atom episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Sort of, I think it was adapted from an Atom comic to be honest.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I finally got myself (nearly) caught up with Young Justice. I watched the first three episodes of the new season, and then when I realized I had missed a lot, I went back and watched the first season episodes I had missed, 16 through 26. Thoughts:

• Red Arrow being the mole was pretty brilliant, I never suspected him. Due to watching the second season before the reveal, I was thinking Aqualad, but now I know that's just something that happened in the last five years.
  • Speaking of brilliant, I loved the Gar Logan episode. One thing Young Justice does really well is work with standing DC history and characters, but change things to make it work in this universe. The origin for Beast Boy, and tying it into Miss Martian is cool. And the "Hello, Megan!" thing was perfect.
  • I've only see the first three episodes of the new season. Where is Artemis? Did I miss something? Or do I out in episode four or five?

As for Avengers... the episode with the Skrull being revealed to Iron Man annoyed the hell out of me. Okay, so what does the brilliant, super-genius Tony Stark do once he learns that someone on his team is a shape-shifting alien? Maybe he keeps this to himself, acts normally, while trying to suss the fake out? Nah! Let's act like a child, throw a fit, let everyone on the team (including the alien) know what's what, and then disband the team, so that when the coming invasion comes, they won't be there to defend Earth!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Revol posted:

I finally got myself (nearly) caught up with Young Justice. I watched the first three episodes of the new season, and then when I realized I had missed a lot, I went back and watched the first season episodes I had missed, 16 through 26. Thoughts:

• Red Arrow being the mole was pretty brilliant, I never suspected him. Due to watching the second season before the reveal, I was thinking Aqualad, but now I know that's just something that happened in the last five years.
  • Speaking of brilliant, I loved the Gar Logan episode. One thing Young Justice does really well is work with standing DC history and characters, but change things to make it work in this universe. The origin for Beast Boy, and tying it into Miss Martian is cool. And the "Hello, Megan!" thing was perfect.
  • I've only see the first three episodes of the new season. Where is Artemis? Did I miss something? Or do I out in episode four or five?

As for Avengers... the episode with the Skrull being revealed to Iron Man annoyed the hell out of me. Okay, so what does the brilliant, super-genius Tony Stark do once he learns that someone on his team is a shape-shifting alien? Maybe he keeps this to himself, acts normally, while trying to suss the fake out? Nah! Let's act like a child, throw a fit, let everyone on the team (including the alien) know what's what, and then disband the team, so that when the coming invasion comes, they won't be there to defend Earth!

Ironman does not have what you call self control. He is impulsive and when he thinks he is right he will do anything to prove it. In the comics it is better shown through his alcoholism and things like armor war. In which he takes his technology back no matter who is using it.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Nick Fury even jokes about it right afterwards and says something along the lines as "This is the guy who had a secret identity for 5 minutes."

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Iron Man kept it a secret when Spider-Woman (Skrull Queen) showed him the Elektra Skrull, though he eventually told Skrull-Pym and Reed Richards. But if you read the Mighty Avengers issue in which he finds out, he then becomes very, very paranoid. His actions in EMH also kind of mirror what happened in the New Avengers issue where Spider-Woman Skrull left the group, where everyone was detailed into having the possibility of being a Skrull.

As Fury says in the cartoon, this is the man who kept his secret identity for about 30 seconds. I can see both reactions, keeping it a secret and blabbing it to everyone, be in-character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Hulk standing by his bud Hawkeye was the highlight of that episode for me, and I don't really know why.

• Locked thread