Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Canary :smug:

Every two or three months there'll be an update that makes it crash on launch, or crash every other tab on every other page load, but otherwise it's been surprisingly stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Just picked up beta 20.0.1132.11. New font smoothing in tab bar, new button bezel look on back/forward/stop/refresh/plugins, wider New Tab button are what I've noticed in the first 60 seconds. Also they've somehow made it snappier!

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
Is there any way to set up URL shortcuts? I'm constantly loading, say, my Google Calendar and since Chrome doesn't show the bookmark bar (which I kinda like), I usually navigate to it via the address bar.

Ideally, I'd like to just type 'gcal' and have it open http://www.google.com/calendar .

I can, of course, use the autocomplete suggestions, but 'Calendar' shows up in a lot of URLs, and starting by typing 'google.com' obviously also brings up a lot of URLs.

I have a bookmark named "GCal" and if I type 'gcal' into the address bar, it will show up as one of the auto-complete results. But it's the third option down, and I have to manually select it. If I just type 'gcal <enter>', it will search Google for 'gcal'.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Magicmat posted:

Is there any way to set up URL shortcuts? I'm constantly loading, say, my Google Calendar and since Chrome doesn't show the bookmark bar (which I kinda like), I usually navigate to it via the address bar.

Ideally, I'd like to just type 'gcal' and have it open http://www.google.com/calendar .

I can, of course, use the autocomplete suggestions, but 'Calendar' shows up in a lot of URLs, and starting by typing 'google.com' obviously also brings up a lot of URLs.

I have a bookmark named "GCal" and if I type 'gcal' into the address bar, it will show up as one of the auto-complete results. But it's the third option down, and I have to manually select it. If I just type 'gcal <enter>', it will search Google for 'gcal'.

Here's a kinda weird but at least hella easy way you can do it:

Go to Settings, and under the Search heading, click "Manage Search Engines."
Scroll down to the bottom of the "Other Search Engines" list, and add this entry:

Typing in "gcal" should now show "Google Calendar" as the first entry in the address bar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Magicmat posted:

Chrome doesn't show the bookmark bar

FYI, yes it does. You can have it hidden or not.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

This just happened to my sibling's Chrome theme (the white on the left and right of the middle bar). Is there an easy way to fix this?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

This just happened to my sibling's Chrome theme (the white on the left and right of the middle bar). Is there an easy way to fix this?
Check what version of Chrome they're running. That graphical glitch appeared for me in the recent Dev 21.0.1145.0 update, so there's a good chance they're running the same.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Fancy SA Forums just got hella boned by recent stylesheet changes. Working on it.

dumbmrblah
May 31, 2003

Anal Tributary posted:

Fancy SA Forums just got hella boned by recent stylesheet changes. Working on it.

double vision whoa

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

dumbmrblah posted:

double vision whoa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys

The last minor update for Fancy SA still hasn't gotten Web Store approval, so the fixed version may take a few extra days.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I run stable. Have for a long time, since like version 12 or something. I only missed being a head of the game for maaaybe 2 months. Then there's new stuff every 6 weeks just like the other channels. "New to me" is good enough for me.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Magicmat posted:

I know it's not what you asked for, but have you considered pinned tabs for that stuff? I keep G+, mail, calendar, docs and a few others open and pinned all the time. Pinned tabs just show the icon in the tab bar so they don't tank much space either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

This just happens with the SA forums. Each time I click a link back to the UCP, or next page of a thread, or wherever on the forums, it adds 10-20 MB to the figure until somewhere a little over a GB of memory usage I have to close the tab because it won't load any more links.

Running beta channel.

Just trying to see if its something others have experienced before I go through all the trouble of disabling/enabling extensions to figure out the cause.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Anal Tributary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys

The last minor update for Fancy SA still hasn't gotten Web Store approval, so the fixed version may take a few extra days.

Can't wait, as I'm back to the old style for SA and I'm just not used to it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Karthe posted:

Who's on Dev, who's on Beta, and who's stuck it out with Stable? I've been on Dev since Chrome came out in 2008 but have considered switching to Beta or even Stable now that a lot of Dev features have made it to Stable. I'm also getting annoyed when a new Dev release comes out and breaks something fundamental like tooltips or URL previes.

I've been on Beta the whole time and I've rarely hit any problems. I know people say the same about Dev, but when there are problems they sound pretty annoying, and they tend to be ironed out by the time Beta catches up. Feels like the sweet spot between stability and updates

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
How long has auto-tiling when you hold a tab by a window border been a thing?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rirse posted:

Can't wait, as I'm back to the old style for SA and I'm just not used to it.

I did the same, and its really jarring. Maybe AT can talk this new coder into making some of this stuff official.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm sure ChooGooGaJoob Choochacacko would love to do a serious forums redesign, but there's a lot of other stuff on his plate right now. He actually sent me a message asking if there were any small changes he could make to the site to make my extension work better :3:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Anal Tributary posted:

I'm sure ChooGooGaJoob Choochacacko would love to do a serious forums redesign, but there's a lot of other stuff on his plate right now. He actually sent me a message asking if there were any small changes he could make to the site to make my extension work better :3:

Regarding the fixed Fancy - can't you just host the extension somewhere or does Google require everything to be installed through the store and signed or something?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Regarding the fixed Fancy - can't you just host the extension somewhere or does Google require everything to be installed through the store and signed or something?

This is what I'll do if it's not out of approval hell by the time I'm done working on it. Right now, 0.12 is going through, which was uploaded a few days ago before all of these changes. I assume once it gets approved the next versions won't need approval (Web Store in general doesn't need approval, which is why it's so weird that it wanted it now - I wonder if it's a thing they do depending on the security permissions an extension requests or what?), so 0.13 should hopefully be right after it.

If it does end up stuck in approval, then I'll release the CRX file elsewhere. It won't automatically update, but it'll work just fine otherwise.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

That's cool, thanks.

Man, it really is weird without Fancy...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Looks like Fancy 0.12 made it through approval, seeing as how YOSPOS is now a soothing amber colour and timg behavior is fixed. :neckbeard:

Other than the weird double quadruple menu bar thing everything else seems to work fine.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I set my Chromebook (cr48) to the unstable channel so I could enjoy the Aura WM. Since doing so, I now always get a message to the extent of "your profile could not be loaded" and some of my settings (search engine keywords, passwords) are missing while other things (bookmarks) are not. Help?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Pushed the Fancy SA Forums update (0.13), which is fixed for the new forums HTML, as well as adding the ability to collapse the top header banner (there's a little link in the upper-right corner to toggle it).

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Anal Tributary posted:

Pushed the Fancy SA Forums update (0.13), which is fixed for the new forums HTML, as well as adding the ability to collapse the top header banner (there's a little link in the upper-right corner to toggle it).
This might be a stupid question, but how do I upgrade from .12? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

n0n0 posted:

This might be a stupid question, but how do I upgrade from .12? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Clicking "Update Extensions Now" at the top of the Extensions page should do it.

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Anal Tributary posted:

Clicking "Update Extensions Now" at the top of the Extensions page should do it.

You may have to enable "Developer Mode" to get that button, by the way.

Thanks for your work on this extension, it's great.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Anal Tributary posted:

Thanks! Developer Mode needed to be enabled.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Does an extension exist for chrome which allows instant searching on a page? As in I just start typing and it starts searching rather than having to hit cmd+f first?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I have chrome set on "on startup continue where I left off." When I close all the tabs one by one and then reopen chrome for some reason it opens up loving ask.com. What's the way to change that? I had the ask toolbar installed at some point so it's an awful leftover. I have uninstalled it and removed what I could find in IE and Firefox. Anyone?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I think that when there are no tabs to reopen, Chrome opens the home page, which by default is the new tab page. I assume in your case, the home page is set to ask.com.

The option to change that is under settings - appearance, but it doesn't show up unless you check the 'Show Home button' checkbox.
(This is on v19)

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Excellent. Thanks. Seems like a bit of a weird place to hide the home page settings. Didn't think of looking under appearance.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
A small forum I go to for some reason sets off Chrome's "there is unsecure content on this page" message bar that pops up from the top. With a button for 'more info' and 'load anyway'.
More info gives instructions for adding a line
--allow-running-insecure-content
as such.

Is there a line of code that would allow that only on a certain domain/site?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

jyrka posted:

Excellent. Thanks. Seems like a bit of a weird place to hide the home page settings. Didn't think of looking under appearance.

you can also use chrome://settings

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Speaking of the "continue where I left off" setting, is there any way to get Chrome to ask you if you want to do this if you close all tabs at once? I'm not interested in the feature triggering all the time, but sometimes I need to restart the computer or something and I have a million tabs open that I want to resume.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Is there some extension or something that will make embedded Youtube videos HTML5 instead of Flash?

I got so tired of Flash being lovely I disabled it. It's been fine except for when people use the wrong type of embed code for YT and all it has the Flash video embedded...

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Is there some extension or something that will make embedded Youtube videos HTML5 instead of Flash?

I got so tired of Flash being lovely I disabled it. It's been fine except for when people use the wrong type of embed code for YT and all it has the Flash video embedded...
I know there was a Safari plugin to do this, but I haven't seen anything in the Chrome plugin world that does the same.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
So, downloads. I saw a nice plugin for opening the downloads tab much easier, and I know of the 'New Download UI' flag that essentially only disables the download bar, but not much else.

Ideally, I would like a new download to open the downloads tab, and for the title of the downloads tab to contain a completion percentage for a downloading file that is closest to completion. As far as I know, nothing like this exists yet.

I hate the download bar. Hate it hate it hate it. I tried using Free Download Manager but apparently it lacks the capability to hook into Google Chrome so it can't intercept downloads properly, you have to use the lovely drop box. I've heard of JDownloader too but I tend to only use programs that utilize Java when absolutely necessary.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Chrome doesn't seem to load my 5 startup tabs on first run since the latest update. Have to close and then load it again. Weird.

Fancy SA Forums is lovely, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Resonance posted:

Chrome doesn't seem to load my 5 startup tabs on first run since the latest update. Have to close and then load it again. Weird.

Same here - my home page doesn't load upon startup (using Chrome 19 stable)