Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Looking for a video Let's Play that has funny commentary. I have finished/caught up with:
FFX-2, Silent Hill, 20 years of Sonic, Bear Vs. Wild and No More Heroes 2.

Suggestions for current threads or Archives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Herr Tog posted:

Looking for a video Let's Play that has funny commentary. I have finished/caught up with:

Anything by RChimpCola is amazing. Or you could watch any other LP by Chip and General Ironicus since they're pretty consistently funny. Also Dongs.exe is always a classic.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
One of the funniest LP's I've ever watched is Hopkins FBI by davidspackage.

Also anything by Ambisagrus and Woodpal are generally pretty hilarious. I'd say start with Wind Waker and go from there.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Petz: Horsez 2 is another great shovelware game LP, like MvW.

(It seems that Chocolate Donuts backed it up on his YouTube account, in case you don't like blip, like me)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Niggurath posted:

Anything by RChimpCola is amazing. Or you could watch any other LP by Chip and General Ironicus since they're pretty consistently funny. Also Dongs.exe is always a classic.

RChimp's RE5 LP is pretty incredible.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Be sure to also watch Mercenaries 2 and Lost Planet 2 by helloitsdan and lithuanian dad. The latter of the two is not on LParchive, so be sure to give their website a go.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

If you like FFX-2, remember to check out Tipping 40s' other stuff http://tippingforties.com since they're all pretty similar. Otherwise, anything by pokecapn (Sonic 2006 and Unleashed are practically mandatory watching for funny VLPs) and/or Kung-Fu Jesus, like the FFXIII-2 thread going on right now!

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

Geop posted:

Mercenaries 2

Seconding this one, specifically. The two of them come up with some of the most amazing ways to play that game and the physics engine is only happy to comply.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

Be sure to also watch Mercenaries 2 and Lost Planet 2 by helloitsdan and lithuanian dad. The latter of the two is not on LParchive, so be sure to give their website a go.

Mico posted:

One of the funniest LP's I've ever watched is Hopkins FBI by davidspackage.

Seconding these. Mercenaries is pure explosion physics fun and Hopkins FBI is so disjointed and surreal it's almost avant-garde.

Speaking of surreal games, I'm working my way though supergreatfriend's Deadly Premonitions LP and god is it good. You think so too, right Zach?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

meteor9 posted:

Seconding this one, specifically. The two of them come up with some of the most amazing ways to play that game and the physics engine is only happy to comply.

As a side note, the physics really are that crazy when you're playing the game "normally," too. I think they say it best in the LP...

"This game doesn't have a physics engine, just a random number generator."

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys, I will give all of these a go and I should be satiated fro a while now.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Kuvo posted:

Speaking of surreal games, I'm working my way though supergreatfriend's Deadly Premonitions LP and god is it good. You think so too, right Zach?

Definitely. Just finished rewatching the whole run. It remains the only LP that can make me laugh, cry, and seriously weirded out all in the same video.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Amppelix posted:

If you like FFX-2, remember to check out Tipping 40s' other stuff http://tippingforties.com since they're all pretty similar.

Just a caveat on this, if you're going through the T40s library, I do NOT recommend their MGS4 LP. It's not their best work.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Just a caveat on this, if you're going through the T40s library, I do NOT recommend their MGS4 LP. It's not their best work.

But you should definitely check out Goldeneye; they took turns doing levels after each death and drew level conditions out of a hat for each one. Some pretty funny combinations came up.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

MeccaPrime posted:

But you should definitely check out Goldeneye; they took turns doing levels after each death and drew level conditions out of a hat for each one. Some pretty funny combinations came up.

The Bas Rutten challenge had me giggling like a schoolgirl. :allears:

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
My job is pretty sweet in that it often gives me a lot of time to read things on the Internet. I like to read LPs, but am looking for recommendations. Here are the criteria:

- no video LPs (text, screenshot, some other medium that doesn't require audio to enjoy)
- has to be relatively safe for work (profanity in non-giant letters is okay, but images can't be too risque).

I'm not a huge fan of fantasy games, but if the LP is well-written, I'm down for it. I have archives, so current and older stuff is all good. I enjoyed Wall Street Kid, Police Quest, and a Sims Medieval LP I read a while ago, to give you an idea of stuff I've liked.

Any recommendations?

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
Boatmurdered and Headshoots are pretty much mandatory for screenshot LP fans, and as a bonus the screenshots are in ASCii, so no worries about anything NSFW. Orange Fluffy Sheep makes great LPs, though mostly of fantasy games, so if you're willing to bend your tastes a bit he's a good shot.

And of course, anything by The Dark Id, who has an impressive number of LPs completed. Note that Boatmurdered and TDI's stuff are highly profane, though not in the sense that it'd be noticeable by someone looking over your shoulder.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Chzo Mythos by Quovak is really insightful and funny if you think you can get away with images of pixelated gore which I don't remember being too terrible. Make sure you read through the thread if you're interested in hearing Yahtzee, the game's developer, talk about where he thinks he did wrong and what he might improve, it's some really interesting stuff.

Half Life 2 by Cybershell is pretty hilarious also and should be required reading for anyone who likes screenshot LPs.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

A bit late, but check out ThornBrain's LPs. Particularly 007: Agent Under Fire and Bomberman Jetters.

He's also got a Twilight Princess LP currently going on.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

nerdpony posted:

My job is pretty sweet in that it often gives me a lot of time to read things on the Internet. I like to read LPs, but am looking for recommendations. Here are the criteria:

- no video LPs (text, screenshot, some other medium that doesn't require audio to enjoy)
- has to be relatively safe for work (profanity in non-giant letters is okay, but images can't be too risque).

I'm not a huge fan of fantasy games, but if the LP is well-written, I'm down for it. I have archives, so current and older stuff is all good. I enjoyed Wall Street Kid, Police Quest, and a Sims Medieval LP I read a while ago, to give you an idea of stuff I've liked.

Any recommendations?

House Hohenzollern Rising (a Paradox Games Mega-LP) by Wiz is really good, it creates an interesting tale of alternate history, following the Hohenzollern family from being a Count to being the Kaiser of the German empire.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

nerdpony posted:

Any recommendations?

Crowetron's Parasite Eve LP's are pretty good. PE1 is in the archive, and he's almost done with PE2.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

nerdpony posted:

Any recommendations?

If you haven't read The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing yet, you probably should; also the Risk thread was a lot of fun to read. I recommend using a combination of the thread (if you have Archives) and the archive for that one -- the players added a lot of great content in their posts between updates which are worth reading, but the images in the updates themselves were hosted on Waffleimages and as such cannot be counted on to continue existing outside of the LP Archive.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

nerdpony posted:

Any recommendations?

Bureaucracy is a text-only, novella-length LP of a very funny game; I enjoyed it.

Earthbound and Uplink are both classics.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

nerdpony posted:

Any recommendations?

If you're enjoying the ongoing Police Quest LP (and I'm not aware of any others), then I think you'll love Bobbin Threadbare's LP of the entire Quest for Glory series. Not only does he do a thorough job of covering a series of games that require multiple playthroughs to see all the content, but he injects quite a bit of personality into a character who was designed to have none, including a rather amazing twist that I won't spoil because it's something you should see for yourself. True, they're fantasy games, but most of them are solid Sierra adventure games with RPG elements, and the rest are only better for being in screenshot form.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Coolguye and TheLastRoboKy's LP of Dark Messiah: Might and Magic is pretty great if you're into the two-guys-talking-over-a-ridiculous-game type of LP. Got kind of an RChimpCola vibe about it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Something people who keep to LP may not realize is that there's an LP of an old DOS game called Moments going on in GBS. The basic premise of the game is that you start at the beginning of life and every choice you make affects your development.

It isn't quite what you'd expect out of LPs posted in this subforum, but the game is pretty intriguing and the thread votes on every choice. If you want to experience a cool game that you've probably never heard of, this may be right up your alley.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Hey guys, since everyone's "resetting" their threads, I think I might do the same after Memorial Day. My only concern is that there's a lot of good recommendations in this thread, and it kinda sucks to see them lost.

I was thinking about asking some enthusiastic person to dig through the thread and maybe make a list of some of the most recommended threads, and I could do a second-post type deal in the new thread with some of the most popular threads from this thread. I'm totally open on this, though. If anyone has any good ideas on how to salvage as much of this thread as I can in a concise way, I'm all ears.

Edit: And obviously any LP that I'd miss in the second post, anyone can feel free to jump in and recommend it at any time. I have no issues with re-recommending LPs in the new thread and, in fact, hope people do.

Edit 2: Oh, also, the option for me to not start a new thread at all is certainly on the table, if you guys think this one is still fine.

Proteus4994 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 25, 2012

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
I'm down with this thread still existing.

Nthing Cry of Fear, my only complaint is that I want to play the game now, but know I wouldn't be entertained as much as seeing it played as expertly as it is.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I honestly don't feel like this thread needs to be reset. It doesn't have nearly as much activity as the other threads being reset, so it's not like it's some 300-page monster that needs to be scaled back.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Yeah, I don't think we should reset it either. Like Rocketlex said, this thread moves slowly enough that making a new one would just feel arbitrary.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Yeah, leave it alone.

As for a recommendation: I hate to recommend supposed "LP Superstars," but Psychadelic Eyeball's LP of Super Meat Boy is a fast-paced blast to watch. He's actually pretty good at the game which I think is a must for a game such as this.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
Alright, gently caress it, less work for me is always cool. :)

Thread stays as is.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Skgrey posted:

I'd definitely recommend Skippy Granola's LP's; good knowledge of the games he does, commentary is excellent and humorous, and he updates quite regularly. So far in the last few months he's done Bulletstorm, Stacking, and is now LP'ing Rage.

His Stacking LP was very well done and showed off all solutions, so if you've been wondering about Stacking I'd highly suggest you check out his videos. It's one of those games that is very different and has an indie feel to it. It kind of reminds me of Bastion in a way as it's so drastically different than anything else out there and the art direction and narrative really stand out.

I'd also recommend Niggurath's Dead Space 2 LP, quite enjoyable to far.

Ah I just caught up with the recommendation thread. Squeeeee! This made my night.

Here's what I'm following right now:

- Xaiter's Binding of Isaac LP. Buttery smooth commentary, he's excellent at this very difficult game, and he puts on hilariously broken streams from time to time.

- Geri Khan's Catherine LP. I never finished this game, so it's good to see a skilled completionist run. There's also some interesting audience participation in which he tracks the thread's approval of K/Catherine and acts accordingly.

- Thuryl's M&M: World of Xeen LP. I really like his Might & Magic LPs - solid characterization, interesting deconstruction of game mechanics and strategy, and some drat funny situations.

- Reverend's LP of Ghost Master. This guy is hilarious! The game's not much to look at, but I like his digressions into things like how much he hates cicadas.

- Niggurath's LP of Dead Space 2. I'm just a fan of this guy. I like his low-key delivery and often insightful look at the story and game mechanics.

Those are the ones I most eagerly await, and I highly recommend checking them all out.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I too would like to second any of Skippy's threads as they are all enjoyable, insightful, and well put together (not to mention he has a right dependable update schedule and he's a cheerful guy to boot).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'm following the FFXIII-2 LP, which is pretty humorous as they find their feet with the game, even though I don't really mind any criticism because I love the game. I'm also following the Exit Fate LP as it was a game I played and enjoyed more than Suikoden II but ended up giving up for some reason or another. The FFV low-level LP was pretty fun to watch. MeccaPrime's Zelda LP is great all around, as is Super Meat Boy and Catherine LPs. I also follow the Rage, FFX, and Need For Speed: Most Wanted LPs.

Speaking of, I need to go make a new update.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 25, 2012

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

MeccaPrime posted:

Yeah, leave it alone.

As for a recommendation: I hate to recommend supposed "LP Superstars," but Psychadelic Eyeball's LP of Super Meat Boy is a fast-paced blast to watch. He's actually pretty good at the game which I think is a must for a game such as this.

Seconding this, what really makes it shine is the work he puts into editing it. Most of the time he's pretty good at the game already, but when things get a little rough he works on smoothing it out, and the transitions he makes during the round-up videos (collecting every bandage, character, and finishing warp zones) make every video a blast to watch.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I'm pretty sure the Zorak/Choroc LP of Man VS Wild is the best I've seen in a long while. The two-man positive/angry type of comedy works really well for me.

Are there any other similar LPs with a positive and a negative person? Think good cop, bad cop, or just watch that LP, you won't regret it.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
Alkydere's Advanced Wars: Duel Strike LP would be good for that. Multiple commentators in a screenshot LP works out better than you might think, and they have a similar dynamic because his other commentators are much less versed in the game and provide amusing/incredulous reactions to the game's sillier moments.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I would like to recommend Egomaniac's Yakuza Kenzan lp.

Kenzan is a spin-off of the popular Yakuza series. Where the other Yakuza games follow the story of Yakuza enforcer Kazuma Kiryu Kenzan tells the story (pretty liberally interpreted) of the famous swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. The game is the only one of the main Yakuza series that has never, and probably will never be released internationally. This means that watching Egomaniac's lp is probably the only way you will be able to see it. Kenzan was the first game that the Yakuza team developed on the PS3 and was made between 2 and 3 in the main series. However since it is a spin-off you can watch even if you've never played a Yakuza game.

It is a hybrid lp with the majority of the game covered in voice commentated video with companion SSLP posts covering the games many many sidequests.

Egomaniac is putting an insane amount of work into that lp, translating the entire game on the fly through clever video editing and other technological wizardry. If you have ever played or watched an lp of an earlier Yakuza game you'll just have realised how insane that is as a solo undertaking.

As a solo informative lp the videos can be a little dry but Egomaniac is super informative both in the commentary and in supplemental posts explaining: game mechanics, the game's complex and interesting plot, the 'real' Musashi's life, other interpretations on the legend of Musashi, relevant Japanese culture and history, real historical landmarks the game uses, probably a load of other stuff that I've forgotten etc.

The thread feels a little bare to me considering the quality and effort going in to the lp so get on it dudes. I'd reccomend it if you are a fan of lps like Geop's Assassins Creed series, Jamesman's Yakuza playthrough or like seeing stuff you otherwise might not like Slowbeefs Policenauts lp or Oreneonoeneoneoeno's Dangan Ronpa lp.

Oh, the game isn't bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
I recently watched a whole walkthrough of Dead Space 2 and loved it. Any scary LP's to recommend?

• Locked thread