Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Anything else get hit or did it just spit the belt out the back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Anything else get hit or did it just spit the belt out the back?

Didn't feel or hear a thing. I didn't know for sure the belt was gone until I got off the bike. I don't think the belt exiting damaged anything, but I'll know for sure when I unload it after work/sleep.

Also I could have swore that the belts sold for under a hundred a few years ago, but they are $182 now. I hope the next one lasts longer. I need to go back during the day and find the belt to see if I can get a clue to why it happened.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Almost got my seat done. Pretty happy with how its turning out so far. Hit it with some black primer because why the gently caress not. Also, started on a fiberglass battery box for my 12v 5ah alarm battery. It's going to sit in between the mounts for the toolkit.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Stormangel posted:

Didn't feel or hear a thing. I didn't know for sure the belt was gone until I got off the bike. I don't think the belt exiting damaged anything, but I'll know for sure when I unload it after work/sleep.

Also I could have swore that the belts sold for under a hundred a few years ago, but they are $182 now. I hope the next one lasts longer. I need to go back during the day and find the belt to see if I can get a clue to why it happened.

Did you take your belt guards off? It looks better without them, but it's a lot easier for little rocks and crap to get in there.

I wouldn't expect it to fail that soon, but the belt is supposed to be replaced at 15k.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm probably going to get one of those spring loaded tensioners. I hear ulys are not nice to belts.

I put 200 miles on uly today to buy a part for the xl175. Guy had four so I got a spare, all in about $6...less than a 1 way ferry fare to get there...less than what I paid for gas for the trip. Yay NLA parts.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Deeters posted:

Did you take your belt guards off? It looks better without them, but it's a lot easier for little rocks and crap to get in there.

I wouldn't expect it to fail that soon, but the belt is supposed to be replaced at 15k.

Nope, the only thing that I removed was the chin fairing due to the fact that Jardine's supplied brackets didn't properly support it and one side eventually ripped apart.

Here she is about a month ago.

http://i.imgur.com/Qv8kz.jpg

All guards in place. I think the fact that I'm not a light person combined with the age of the belt and my love of the throttle all contributed th it's premature death.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Stormangel posted:

Please do. I'd really appreciate some pictures of that belt. This shouldn't happen. Some pictures of the bike, pulleys and alignment might help too.

Gweenz posted:

Almost got my seat done. Pretty happy with how its turning out so far. Hit it with some black primer because why the gently caress not. Also, started on a fiberglass battery box for my 12v 5ah alarm battery. It's going to sit in between the mounts for the toolkit.

You should have made the front two inches higher and let it follow the contour of the tank. Otherwise you've done a great job, and yes, glassfiber and resin is amazingly easy to work with.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 20, 2012

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Sir Cornelius posted:

You should have made the front two inches higher and let it follow the contour of the tank. Otherwise you've done a great job, and yes, glassfiber and resin is amazingly easy to work with.

Thanks! I don't really like the look of the tall cowl seats, so this is what I came up with. It's a little out of place in the picture as it's only sitting on the frame. I agree the front edge of the cowl could be a little higher but I don't think I want to start adding layers at this point, too much work. I can save that for the next seat :)

I think it does a pretty decent job of following the lines, again the seat is just sitting on the frame. Cocked, I might add:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Gweenz posted:

I think it does a pretty decent job of following the lines, again the seat is just sitting on the frame. Cocked, I might add:

It looks great and all, but if we were friends, and I happened to see your bike on a weekly basis, I'd make drat sure to annoy you by poking my little finger in between the tank and the seat. Now you can't ignore it, and you know you can't sleep well before you correct it. I'm sorry.

Edit: Also plug the cut-down rear of that poor frame.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Sir Cornelius posted:

It looks great and all, but if we were friends, and I happened to see your bike on a weekly basis, I'd make drat sure to annoy you by poking my little finger in between the tank and the seat. Now you can't ignore it, and you know you can't sleep well before you correct it. I'm sorry.

Edit: Also plug the cut-down rear of that poor frame.

Ohhhh, I thought you were talking about the back. There's no upholstery on the seat, that's why there's a gap there. That bump in the front is simply to clear the tank mount, it's not for looks. Rear hoop is going to be cut down and welded to the frame.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Over the last 3 weeks as a favor for a co-worker I've pulled, cleaned, put back together, bench synched and re-installed a set of carbs for an '85 VFR700. If anyone asked me to work on one of those ever again other than external/regular maintenance, I will kick over the bike, light it on fire and then slit my wrists. Why oh why V-4's do you have to be so difficult to work on?

Happy days though we stuck it all back on the bike and after priming the fuel pump and the carb bowls the bike fired right up. Then unfortunately gas started hemorrhaging out of the petcock all over the place. Now he's gotta wait for the petcock rebuild kit to come in...

petcock...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Filled the xl175 with 1.5q of 10w40. The filter spring went right on without trouble. Then I rode it around to burn the 2 week old gas in the float bowl.

Also started the wife's magna up again, no more fuel leaks...inexplicably. Why do v4s have to be so difficult? Time to get that bitch registered, get the oil changed, get some fresh gas through it, and get it on craigslist.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Oh.

Looks like I've got a total-loss electrical system until the new stator arrives :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ReelBigLizard posted:

Oh.

Looks like I've got a total-loss electrical system until the new stator arrives :(

Please don't try to run that stator. At best, it MIGHT not start a fire.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Rode over to Socratse's place. He cleaned up the wiring for my heated grips and helped install a 12V outlet.
I can now power my GPS and charge my phone or iPod while riding again.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I changed my oil for the first time today. It was a disaster. The previous owner way over torqued the bolts on both the drain plug and the filter. I managed to get the plug off and drain all the oil, but then I had no hope of getting the filter out. So my bike is parked in my apartment parking lot with an oil pan under it. I had to go get a breaker bar and leave it like that. Because San Diego's Navy Base has such idiotic road planning which causes awful traffic, it took me an hour to drive 2 miles round trip to autozone.

I got back and the breaker bar was the wrong size. I was so frustrated but I just kept yanking on my wrench and finally got it out. After that it was a breeze, though I did get oil all over my hands and tools.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I don't know about disaster. Sounds pretty typical for a first-timer with the PO having gorilla'd the drain bolt and oil filter on. Good job figuring it out, remember to wash your hands and tools :)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

blue squares posted:

I changed my oil for the first time today. It was a disaster. The previous owner way over torqued the bolts on both the drain plug and the filter. I managed to get the plug off and drain all the oil, but then I had no hope of getting the filter out. So my bike is parked in my apartment parking lot with an oil pan under it. I had to go get a breaker bar and leave it like that. Because San Diego's Navy Base has such idiotic road planning which causes awful traffic, it took me an hour to drive 2 miles round trip to autozone.

I got back and the breaker bar was the wrong size. I was so frustrated but I just kept yanking on my wrench and finally got it out. After that it was a breeze, though I did get oil all over my hands and tools.
An hour to go two miles? Um, why didn't you just walk/jog? It would have taken half as long.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Love me some freshly bled brakes. Fronts had been getting a bit spongey last couple of days, and then on my way home last night did some hard braking and the lever came back to the bar, which is not fun. Quick bleed of the master cylinder and a zip-tie pulling the brakes on overnight and got a rock hard lever this morning. loving love having a bleeder valve on the master cylinder, makes it such a quick job.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Crayvex posted:

An hour to go two miles? Um, why didn't you just walk/jog? It would have taken half as long.
Getting off the base isn't so bad, it's getting back on that takes forever. I forgot how bad it was since I only ride these days.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
First day of commuting home in summer weather here in the UK resulted in (i) speedo pickup failure (ii) rear brake light lens falling off. All that in 25 miles folks.

Pro tip for Aprilia: when designing a bike that wheelies everywhere, make it so this doesn't cause everything to fall off. On the plus side, according to my instruments the bike hit 280mph somewhere near Dunsfold.

Now searching e-bay for a new lens.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Tracked down at least one of the causes of my wonky mixture problems - a nice crack in one of my intake boots.

While waiting for the new boots to come in, I ghetto-patched the old boot with some JB weld. That allowed me to ride a bit, but I suspect the other boots are also leaking, since the idle wandered enough to indicate an air leak.

I also took another stab at re-painting my extra tank. It was coming along nicely when a late color coat managed to craze out like a bitch. Hopefully, I can sand off that layer to finish it, but I may end up stripping the fucker yet again.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Finally I own a bike! Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 S 2001. I have absolutely no experience with working on bikes (or cars) so this should be a good learning experience. I acquired the Haynes manual for my model which seems very helpful.

Cleaned the garage and parked it for now since I'm technically not allowed to drive it yet (getting your drivers license in Norway takes ages).

My first project, get some new blinkers. I got a set of Givi boxes and blinkers with the bike but I'm not gonna use those for now so I removed the mounts and this is a very ugly temporary solution:

I actually got the original blinkers too, but they are broken (bulb mounts are all hosed up). Anyone know a good alternative to the original blinkers for a bandit? I hear led blinkers need some work, like a new relay and resistors for every light?

Second project, the left handle bar weight was broken and inside the handlebar was just a collection of mangled rubber and sticky goo. I took everything out and I probably need to get some new parts. From what I understand there is a rubber thingy that expands as you fasten the side bar weight thus holding it in place.

Some more pictures because I love my ride

zapateria fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 22, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I did a leakdown test, hoping to find what's causing this idle surge.
Doesn't seem to show any obvious problems unless I'm missing something?

http://gnarlywrench.blogspot.com/2012/05/babys-first-leakdown-test.html

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Ripped the carbs apart, dipped them in Berryman's. Wire run through all the little bits. Tank is electrolysis cleaning right now. Red Kote tank liner is on the way. New petcock strainer, and fuel lines ordered. I'm tired of this thing running fine one day and poo poo the next. Something was depositing little specks of black grit in the carbs, found in the bowls days after a basic cleaning. If this doesn't stop it I am going to burn it to the ground.

The replacement K seat fits much better than the F seat did. Just need to get a new cover for it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BlackLaser posted:

Ripped the carbs apart, dipped them in Berryman's. Wire run through all the little bits. Tank is electrolysis cleaning right now. Red Kote tank liner is on the way. New petcock strainer, and fuel lines ordered. I'm tired of this thing running fine one day and poo poo the next. Something was depositing little specks of black grit in the carbs, found in the bowls days after a basic cleaning. If this doesn't stop it I am going to burn it to the ground.

The replacement K seat fits much better than the F seat did. Just need to get a new cover for it.

Let me know how that Red Kote comes out. I'm really curious how it stacks up to POR15.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Let me know how that Red Kote comes out. I'm really curious how it stacks up to POR15.

I can tell you red kote beats POR15. POR15 isnt bad, but having done them both, the red kote is much easier to apply and clean up.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I can tell you red kote beats POR15. POR15 isnt bad, but having done them both, the red kote is much easier to apply and clean up.

and not one positive thing about Kreeme on the entire internet. Everything I read said it peels off the inside of the tank. The last feature I was looking for in a product to prevent fuel from being contaminated.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
There is no reason to coat the inside of a tank if you keep gas that is at worst only a year old.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

n8r posted:

There is no reason to coat the inside of a tank if you keep gas that is at worst only a year old.

Tank is 36 years old. It's a little rusty, I am doing my best to remove the rust. If I miss some rust I would prefer it not end up in my carb again so I am coating it to try and prevent rust from flaking off in the future. I'm not coating so I can run vintage gas.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackLaser posted:

Tank is 36 years old. It's a little rusty, I am doing my best to remove the rust. If I miss some rust I would prefer it not end up in my carb again so I am coating it to try and prevent rust from flaking off in the future. I'm not coating so I can run vintage gas.

Well supply is very difficult on vintage gas so I don't blame ya for making the conversion to modern stuff. :shobon:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

n8r posted:

If it was ethanol free gas I'd be inclined to agree. However...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
The other day when I hit the ignition switch the fuel pump started to prime and then I heard a weird noise (I had ear plugs so I wasn't able to pin it down but it didn't sound like the fuel pump) and then the electrics died. I got a ride to work and when I came home everything worked fine. I haven't been able to replicate it since. I still need to go through the electrics as after this I found out the terminals are solid and super clean and doesn't look like any fuses were blown.

When I went to take off the seat and check out the battery terminals and found out one of the hex heads was too rounded off, so I had to learn how to use a screw extractor. It's a little embarrassing but an hour or so later in the Phoenix sun, a mangled punch and a few judicious whacks of a hammer and I managed to get the bolt out. This was after trying multiple solutions with turning the bolt with the punch, trying to file grooves to fit a screwdriver in without scratching the plastic etc.

I'm a little stubborn and wanted to figure it out myself, and was using the extractor attached to my drill after drilling the pilot hole. While wondering why the gently caress it wasn't biting I finally got upset and hammered the extractor in and used some pliers to turn it out. Turns out this is the correct way of doing it. All my over-complicated solutions were naught compared to cave-manning it. :doh:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I spent 800 bucks to get my bike up and running for the riding year. I haven't ridden it in over a year.

Can I tell you how excited I was when I learned I could still ride, AND go VROOM VROOM?

gently caress yeah!

New fork seals, new brakes.

Great to be back riding again.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

If it was ethanol free gas I'd be inclined to agree. However...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo

You aren't running a bunch of air over the gas in a gas tank. The fuel vapor should keep most condensation out - I don't think is is a very accurate simulation for what happens inside a gas tank.

In the situation where you have tried to get as much rust out as possible set your gas tank up to drain into a gas can. Then snag some of those cheap inline filters and fill up your tank / drain it running through the filters. I personally have never had trouble running the inline filters actually while I run the bike. But I would think if you run the gas through the inline filters a maybe 5-10 times. Then fill it up again and run it without the filters and see how it's looking. The gas tank on my old RD had a rusty / rough looking surface, but it never actually put any particles into the carbs. Use a coating as a method of last resort.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

n8r posted:

You aren't running a bunch of air over the gas in a gas tank. The fuel vapor should keep most condensation out - I don't think is is a very accurate simulation for what happens inside a gas tank.

In the situation where you have tried to get as much rust out as possible set your gas tank up to drain into a gas can. Then snag some of those cheap inline filters and fill up your tank / drain it running through the filters. I personally have never had trouble running the inline filters actually while I run the bike. But I would think if you run the gas through the inline filters a maybe 5-10 times. Then fill it up again and run it without the filters and see how it's looking. The gas tank on my old RD had a rusty / rough looking surface, but it never actually put any particles into the carbs. Use a coating as a method of last resort.

They stated specifically that it's not exactly the same thing as an automotive fuel tank. So the results aren't as extreme, but the point is that Ethanol Gas is more hydroscopic than regular gas. So it won't take a year for that gas to go bad, more like a month.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

zapateria posted:

Finally I own a bike! Suzuki Bandit GSF 600 S 2001.

I have a 2002 Bandit 600 sitting in my garage as well. If you ever have to clean the carbs, grow a 3rd arm/hand or find a buddy that can help you out. I hate "push/pull" throttle cables. One cable is always in the center of the carb and a complete paint to get to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On my B12 you could get the rack of carbs out of the engine before you had to take the throttle cables off, if you took them out of the right side of the bike.

Is that not the case with the 600?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They stated specifically that it's not exactly the same thing as an automotive fuel tank. So the results aren't as extreme, but the point is that Ethanol Gas is more hydroscopic than regular gas. So it won't take a year for that gas to go bad, more like a month.

I do not believe it's anywhere near a month. I've started all sorts of gas powered stuff with ethanol gas that has been in the tank for many many months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I removed my tail light on the DRZ because the mount was broken. On further inspection I've decided that the weight of the custom LED taillight (made by the PO, nice and bright) was too much for the plastic and that a fix would only be temporary. There were some cracks in the rest of the plastic assembly as well, so I went ahead and got some aftermarket stuff. (Thanks for the pro tip Olde Weird Tip)

So the Edge tail light and turn signals are in the mail, hopefully the install will be pretty painless and the bike will look better in the end as well.

I need a garage. Badly.