Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
That is every high school sports reporter's inner monologue immortalized in print. Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Outfielder Sidney Fontenot,

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

That is every high school sports reporter's inner monologue immortalized in print. Beautiful.
This is so true. High school coaches can be hilariously petty.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Crazy Ted posted:

This is so true. High school coaches can be hilariously petty.

Coaches threatened to stop calling us at all because our paper stopped taking entire boxscores over the phone. We were thrilled that some actually followed through on that threat.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
An update: Deadspin is reporting that the Rayne Independent, the newspaper in which that was published, fired the reporter responsible.

In other news, there's a job opening in sports journalism! Dust off the resumes!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
I see nothing in there that isn't completely accurate

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
The New York Times reported today that the New Orleans Times-Picayune is cutting back from a daily to a thrice-weekly or twice-weekly and is laying off a bunch of staff. It'll pretty much only exist as an online paper.

The Denver Post has also announced that it is virtually eliminating its copy desk (guys who write headlines and check the paper for mistakes) and will delegate those duties to editors and reporters.

What a lovely, lovely week for journalism. And it's going to trickle down into sports.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
My paper just laid off two more last week, too. I don't even think we have a sports copy editor anymore. I'm surprised more stuff like that Celtics headline hasn't happened, to be honest.

Oh, and I can't wait to see reporters copy edit their own articles. That'll be fuckin fun.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Seriously. Reporters are the laziest assholes and I don't think people realize how much it can take to get a newspaper to look halfway decent.

BackInTheUSSR, what's the circulation of your paper? Daily, or something else?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

I also saw yesterday that USA Today were getting rid of some sports reporters. This included their horse racing reporter, right before the latest triple crown attempt:

http://shermanreport.com/layoffs-in-usa-today-sports-mccarthy-weir-pedulla-out/

I know USA Today isn't the most cited of papers but I also find that significant.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

KG calls Philly fans fair-weathered, Philly journalist replies, 'Well Boston is racist!'

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/deep-sixer/KG-fair-weather-beats-bigotry-any-day.html

quote:

You think we’re the fair weather type, do you? Ok, to that I say that it’s better to be fair weather than to be anything remotely akin the cretins that unleashed their racist vitriol via Twitter upon Washington Capitals defenseman Joel Ward, a Black hockey player, last month after he eliminated Boston’s Bruins from the NHL playoffs with an overtime goal.

Can’t really call this an isolated incident, my friend, not unless you believe that those clowns were gathered together in some sort of Bruins/Skinheads gathering and, after their team went down, they all took to Twitter once Ward drove the stake through Boston’s heart.

No, this wasn’t the whole Boston fan base, not at all. But it’s not a coincidence that Bill Russell, the biggest sports winner in the history of Boston sports, absolutely loathed the city and a fan base that he saw as racist.

His words, not mine.

So my advice to you, KG, is that you’re better off winning this series, the next one and then the next. Because if you let those stalwart fans down, who knows what they’ll unleash on you. We do know what they are capable of.

Take that how you want.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
To add to the hilarity, Joel Ward is a forward.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Insert the picture of Philly guy with a personalized Flyers jersey of "The Black Guy" #17 here.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

BackInTheUSSR, what's the circulation of your paper? Daily, or something else?

It's a daily, I think we're somewhere around 35-40K.

And here is the newsroom yesterday, of which only like 40% is actually in use. And still I was the only person there. Nobody even bothers to show up until like 3 p.m. lately.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

BackInTheUSSR posted:

It's a daily, I think we're somewhere around 35-40K.

And here is the newsroom yesterday, of which only like 40% is actually in use. And still I was the only person there. Nobody even bothers to show up until like 3 p.m. lately.

Thought for a second you'd ventured to the 38 Studios offices.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Boston is a racist town, Philadelphia is a racist town, America is a racist country. I saw the Do The Right Thing and Crash, so I am basically a subject-matter expert.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Apparently USA Today is hiring like 50 new sports staffers and reorganizing their department. All probably at lower salaries given their most recent round of cuts.

The Cincinnati Enquirer has been looking for a sports editor for a while; haven't seen an update on whether that search was concluded. I did learn that they have an eight-man reportorial staff to cover an NFL team, an MLB team, two colleges (one with FBS football and both with high-profile basketball teams) and a prep area featuring some of the most dominant schools in Ohio. That's an impossible task.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Apparently USA Today is hiring like 50 new sports staffers and reorganizing their department. All probably at lower salaries given their most recent round of cuts.

The Cincinnati Enquirer has been looking for a sports editor for a while; haven't seen an update on whether that search was concluded. I did learn that they have an eight-man reportorial staff to cover an NFL team, an MLB team, two colleges (one with FBS football and both with high-profile basketball teams) and a prep area featuring some of the most dominant schools in Ohio. That's an impossible task.

That's what the wire is for, I guess.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This is probably related to the joint venture they're doing with MLBAM

Pice of Shit
Jun 11, 2003
I got mail....yay.
I've been eh on Jay Caspian Kang on Grantland. But even though I'm prepared for mediocrity, what exactly is off-putting here? Is it the casual racism?

Jay Caspian Kang on diva songs posted:

Everyone who has ever taken on "And I Am Telling You" knows the keys to success. And yet, despite the efforts of all those chubby Apollo hopefuls smelling of hair product and cocoa butter, Holliday presided over the biggest song in R&B for 25 years.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Hey guys, perhaps this is the right place to ask but what are some decent sports podcasts out there? I listen to Sklarbro Country (though I'd say it's more comedy than sports) and I've listened to Simmons (meh) and some of the ESPN ones like Around the Horn (ugh).

Apologies if this has been asked time and again. I checked the last couple pages and didn't find anything when I searched "pod".

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
If you are into basketball, The Basketball Jones is great.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

I'm getting more into basketball and I've liked their show on The Score so I imagine I'll like their podcast. Thank you.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ratedargh posted:

Hey guys, perhaps this is the right place to ask but what are some decent sports podcasts out there? I listen to Sklarbro Country (though I'd say it's more comedy than sports) and I've listened to Simmons (meh) and some of the ESPN ones like Around the Horn (ugh).

Apologies if this has been asked time and again. I checked the last couple pages and didn't find anything when I searched "pod".

Hang Up And Listen is pretty good, though they tend to run certain topics into the ground (CONCUSSIONS CONCUSSIONS CONCUSSIONS)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pice of poo poo posted:

I've been eh on Jay Caspian Kang on Grantland. But even though I'm prepared for mediocrity, what exactly is off-putting here? Is it the casual racism?

I've mostly enjoyed his "Person of Interest" series, but yeah that's really awful. Grantland continues to be a pretty solid sports site and a dirt awful entertainment site.

morestuff posted:

Hang Up And Listen is pretty good, though they tend to run certain topics into the ground (CONCUSSIONS CONCUSSIONS CONCUSSIONS)

That is a pretty big story! But yeah Hang Up and Listen is great.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

That is a pretty big story! But yeah Hang Up and Listen is great.

That's true, but it's still a little jarring for them to constantly bring it up during unrelated pieces.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

morestuff posted:

Yeah, Hang Up and Listen is probably my favorite sports podcast, although I would like a tad less interviews with other journalists starting new sites.

The Basketball Jones is good, too, although I find it a bit much if you are listening everyday.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Ratedargh posted:

I'm getting more into basketball and I've liked their show on The Score so I imagine I'll like their podcast. Thank you.

The podcast is just their daily show reposted. The Friday show is podcast only, though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you like hockeys (which you should), the Puck Daddy podcast with Marek and Wysh is pretty decent.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/sports/baseball/the-former-met-bob-ojeda-relives-both-glory-and-pain.html?pagewanted=all

This piece is amazing.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

morestuff posted:

Just listened to the most recent episode. Very good stuff. I think it's going to become a permanent fixture in my listening habits. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, I'm getting into the groove with Sklarbro, this weeks inaugural Sklarbro County (shorter, mid-week show) was very good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how does nick cafardo have a job

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
EDSBS linked to this piece on former Memphis football player Dasmine Cathey today. It's well worth your time.

I like the piece because it got LOL COLLEGE ATHLETE CAN'T READ out of the way early and went on to ask questions that cause discomfort.

-Where should the proverbial buck stop when borderline or worse students are considered for college scholarships?
-Was it worth the time and money in academic support to keep Dasmine Cathey eligible?
-Why does Memphis continue to be a third-world shithole?
-How can children so swiftly reject the teachings that school offers, even in impoverished settings?
-Why does someone like Sharyne Connell not throw conniptions when asked to take on impossible assignments like this?
-How did this reporter get individuals from Memphis to even talk to him? (Seriously, how?)

The ending of the piece is also very poetic.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

EDSBS linked to this piece on former Memphis football player Dasmine Cathey today. It's well worth your time.

I like the piece because it got LOL COLLEGE ATHLETE CAN'T READ out of the way early and went on to ask questions that cause discomfort.

-Where should the proverbial buck stop when borderline or worse students are considered for college scholarships?
-Was it worth the time and money in academic support to keep Dasmine Cathey eligible?
-Why does Memphis continue to be a third-world shithole?
-How can children so swiftly reject the teachings that school offers, even in impoverished settings?
-Why does someone like Sharyne Connell not throw conniptions when asked to take on impossible assignments like this?
-How did this reporter get individuals from Memphis to even talk to him? (Seriously, how?)

The ending of the piece is also very poetic.
As a part-time Memphian I found this pretty fascinating.

Here's the thing: This isn't a Memphis-specific problem about it being "some kind of third world shithole" because the guy wasn't even from Frayser or Orange Mound or one of the shittiest areas of the city if he went to Ridgeway High, which isn't a great school but certainly isn't one of the ones where stabbings take place and none of the kids learn a drat thing. I have friends who went there, white and black, who were successful at that school and went on to attend legitimately awesome colleges like Dartmouth and NYU. Cathey obviously came from adverse circumstances but was not necessarily surrounded by the kind of culture that fosters a lack of academic achievement being acceptable unless you were an athlete.

The article is interesting as a cultural indictment on high school and college athletics nationwide, with Memphis standing as a shining example as succumbing to the culture. It's astonishing that the University of Memphis in particular could let this go on when they had the most successful regular season in college basketball history ripped away from them for utterly moronic academics violations.

Thanks for posting it.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 4, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick Reilly is kind of low-hanging fruit for a thread like this, but he apparently can't tell the difference between facts and obvious jokes.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Oh, Darren Rovell. Gotta do a little bit better research than that, boy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Darren Rovell is a complete moron and this is exhibit number 9000 or so

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
If he did that at Literally Any Other Outlet he would be asked to clean out his desk

But 1,000,000 Twitter followers u guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Like CNBC even knows or cares what he does, they are too busy cheerleading us off financial cliffs