Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Xenomorph posted:

Others said the same thing. Some people got on their web chat and got an unlock with zero effort on their part, some had to call and argue for half an hour. Some got the run-around from the first person they called, but were unlocked immediately when they called again and spoke with someone else.

With my luck, I'd end up on hold again for another hour before being told to gently caress off. I figured I'd just wait the extra weeks/months and try again after I'm sure the device is over 2 years old.

I like traveling, and I spent some time in Canada last month. Even though my billing cycle ended right in the middle of the trip (and so I was charged twice for my roaming package), AT&T actually went back and pro-rated it for how much I actually used. They basically refunded me the double-billed roaming packages (voice, text, and data), and only charged me for the 5 days or so I had the service active. What's more, they did this without me even calling them about it. They basically decided on their own to give me money back.

Looking SIM cards, I don't think I could have gotten one cheaper than just paying for roaming. Maybe if I spent a ton of time outside the USA (2 weeks+ at a time), having an unlocked device would be a major benefit. But right now, getting my old iPhone 3GS unlocked is simply a nice extra to have, since I'll probably just bring my 4S with me and pay roaming again on my next trip.

I'd say it's worth the hassle to get it unlocked. You're still much better off getting a prepaid SIM in Canada than paying roaming rates, particularly for data, and Apple Stores will hand out SIM cards for free.

AT&T charge $25 for a 50MB international data pack, you could easily get 10x that amount from pretty much any Canadian provider. For much of last year Telus had a promotion offering unlimited data for $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

Hamburlgar posted:

Plug in your 30pin connector and pry in down (to the internal bit is pushing up against the one button). Should get it working.

This worked a treat for mine, thanks! :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pod2G Tweeted:

"OK just added iPad3,3 support to Absinthe thanks to @flawlessfox. Only remains iPad2,4 now but we need the actual device."

UNNNNGGGHHHH. GIMME!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 24, 2012

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Is there a way either jb or non to get Siri to automatically read back texts when I have headphones in?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Is there a way either jb or non to get Siri to automatically read back texts when I have headphones in?
She always reads the message back before asking if I want to send it with any of the three ways I do it, with or without headphones:

1. "text contact name, blah blah"
<here's your message to contact, it says: blah blah. Ready to send it?>

2. "send a text to contact name"
<what should it say?>
"blah blah"
<I updated your message, it says: blah blah. Ready to send it?>

3. "send a text"
<to whom?>
"contact name"
<what should it say?>
"blah blah"
<I updated your message, it says: blah blah. Ready to send it?>

Also, when she's asking if she should send or not, I can say "read that back" or similar and she reads it again.

I don't think any of my JB apps affect this but for the record the siri-related JB apps I have are: AssistantExtensions, AnyVoice, AssistantLove, DismissSiri, and Hands-Free Control.

On another topic: SwipeSelection (free) is awesome. Swipe across the keyboard to move the cursor. Swipe 2 fingers to move it faster. Hold shift and swipe to select text. Much faster than the magnifying glass in many cases.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I already know how to get her to read it back. I meant without having to ask "what was my last text?"

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

randyest posted:

On another topic: SwipeSelection (free) is awesome. Swipe across the keyboard to move the cursor. Swipe 2 fingers to move it faster. Hold shift and swipe to select text. Much faster than the magnifying glass in many cases.

Seconding this poo poo. I only have an iPhone but it's incredibly handy - I can imagine it might be more so on an iPad.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I already know how to get her to read it back. I meant without having to ask "what was my last text?"
Sorry I must be dumb I don't understand what you want Siri to do.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

randyest posted:

Sorry I must be dumb I don't understand what you want Siri to do.

He spelled it out in his post man.

Keyword automatic. I'm guessing when he gets a text and his phone is in his pockets he wants Siro to just say "new message from Mark: let's meet at the gay bar at 7" without any prompting.

Re: AT&T unlocking chat: I called them when news first broke that they were doing this. They told me its not possible blah blah, then I asked for a manager and she took my imei number and gave me a reference number and told me it was scheduled to unlock in a week. Week went by and no word so I called back with the number and they told me some bullshit like they didn't submit it in time check again after a week. It's been longer now and I still haven't heard any word (they said I'd get an email from Apple) and I haven't bothered calling back. I couldn't find the online chat feature, can someone give me a direct link?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unfold looks pretty neat in an unobtrusive yet aesthetically pleasing tweak yet it always freezes on my phone :smith:

It worked the first time but then it would unfold only to have a frozen half folded screen behind it. Not even a restoring or hard reboot fixed it.

I'll wait for an update but if you can get it to work then awesome. And it's free so why not.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Jailbreak due Saturday 25th according to MMI.

Given that I live in the future, this makes it Sunday Funday for me which I greatly look forward to :)

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 24, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Boris Galerkin posted:

He spelled it out in his post man.

Keyword automatic. I'm guessing when he gets a text and his phone is in his pockets he wants Siro to just say "new message from Mark: let's meet at the gay bar at 7" without any prompting.
Oh, I thought "read back" meant to read it back after he dictated the text. Not sure how reading aloud every incoming text instantly and automatically is reading it back but thanks for clarifying,

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Boris Galerkin posted:

If this is what he's looking for there's a tweak called Aloud that will do it.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sweet. I'll check it out.

The idea is I spend a large chunk of the day on a bicycle. So I'm trying to avoid pulling my phone out in traffic as much as possible.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unfold looks pretty neat in an unobtrusive yet aesthetically pleasing tweak yet it always freezes on my phone :smith:

It worked the first time but then it would unfold only to have a frozen half folded screen behind it. Not even a restoring or hard reboot fixed it.

I'll wait for an update but if you can get it to work then awesome. And it's free so why not.

I'm dealing with this now, trying to blindly work my way around Cydia in an attempt to uninstall it. I can only see a few lines of my actual screen.

e: I kind of feel like FakeClockUp had something to do with the issue- they might not be compatible. Maybe the folding is being pushed too fast.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 24, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nam Taf posted:

Jailbreak due Saturday 25th according to MMI.

Given that I live in the future, this makes it Sunday Funday for me which I greatly look forward to :)

It says the 25th. That's Friday. Just FYI.

Tomorrow.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Meroin posted:

My home button on good ol' iPhone 4 is slowly dying. It's all-around difficult to press and doesn't reliably register single versus double presses, so I often exit apps when trying to multitask and vice versa. Does anyone have suggestions as far as Cydia tweaks that let me do things like multitouch gestures to get to the homescreen/app switcher? I love using the four finger swipes and pinches on my iPad to do that--to the point where I don't even NEED a home button. I'd like something in the same vein for my tiny iPhone screen.

Jailbreak and install automator. You can remap gestures or buttons. I have volume down remapped to home and volume up to media controls (double home) because my home button is broken too. Holding down either volume button still allows you to change volume

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

the talent deficit posted:

Jailbreak and install automator. You can remap gestures or buttons. I have volume down remapped to home and volume up to media controls (double home) because my home button is broken too. Holding down either volume button still allows you to change volume

Or use Zephyr

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Just updated to 5.1.1 in hopes of jailbreaking tomorrow. I've missed SBSettings these last few weeks!

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
I've had my iPhone 4 jailbroken for as long as there's been a jailbreak for the iPhone 4. I've just moved carriers (I'm in Australia) and can't get the new SIM to work. Got the original carrier to unlock the phone, and I've made sure that the SIM works in other phones... but it doesn't work in mine.

I've sync'd with iTunes. I've wiped all the settings on the phone. Haven't done a full wipe/restore though.

Phone says "SOS only" or "No Service"

Version: 5.0.1
Baseband: 04.11.08

Not sure if it makes a difference but under General/About it still says the OLD carrier.

Any ideas?

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

deathmerc posted:

I've had my iPhone 4 jailbroken for as long as there's been a jailbreak for the iPhone 4. I've just moved carriers (I'm in Australia) and can't get the new SIM to work. Got the original carrier to unlock the phone, and I've made sure that the SIM works in other phones... but it doesn't work in mine.

I've sync'd with iTunes. I've wiped all the settings on the phone. Haven't done a full wipe/restore though.

Phone says "SOS only" or "No Service"

Version: 5.0.1
Baseband: 04.11.08

Not sure if it makes a difference but under General/About it still says the OLD carrier.

Any ideas?

You need to do a full restore after the carrier unlocks the phone for the unlock to work.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak is out. :woop:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Do not use the 5.1.1 untethered JB if you're on the 5.1.1 tether, instead get it from Cydia! This means that you should not do the erase all content and settings instructions as stated in the link above, but rather just download it from Cydia!

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 25, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

So they don't mention it, but my iPhone is jailbroken on 5.0 or whatever... do I wanna backup my device, erase, then update to 5.1.1 THEN Jailbreak?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Feenix posted:

So they don't mention it, but my iPhone is jailbroken on 5.0 or whatever... do I wanna backup my device, erase, then update to 5.1.1 THEN Jailbreak?

Yes. Backup, then restore to 5.1.1, then JB, then re-sync.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone with a 4S untethered on 5.1.1:

Have you seen any WHITE icons?

Does iBooks work?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Nam Taf posted:

Yes. Backup, then restore to 5.1.1, then JB, then re-sync.

Will this restore all of my jailbroken programs/settings as well?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

jeffersonlives posted:

I know in the past, much to my surprise, it HAS restored most (if not all). SO unless something is different this time, it should.

(edit) according to Nam Taf I could be wrong so better to play it safe and listen to him. I've never had to do that in the past though, I don't think. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 25, 2012

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

NO, IT WILL NOT, Feenix is wrong. It will back up (some) JB data, but you will need to reinstall the applications themselves. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS IN THE OP TO DO THIS. DO THIS BEFORE YOU WIPE YOUR PHONE AS YOU NEED TO GET IN TO THE SHELL VIA SSH.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I have an iPad 1 running 5.1.1, and I would like to jailbreak it. This is my first time jailbreaking any device. I just ran the untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak (through Absinthe 2.0) How do I go about getting Cydia installed when I'm at this point? Do I need to wait for redsn0w/pwnagetool to include it in their packages?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Chakron posted:

I have an iPad 1 running 5.1.1, and I would like to jailbreak it. This is my first time jailbreaking any device. I just ran the untethered 5.1.1 jailbreak (through Absinthe 2.0) How do I go about getting Cydia installed when I'm at this point? Do I need to wait for redsn0w/pwnagetool to include it in their packages?
I'm not done yet but in the past the jailbreak has included Cydia access by default. However in the past I believe there were some day zero issues with things working exactly right. (either due to server load or a faulty jailbreak app version.)

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Feenix posted:

I'm not done yet but in the past the jailbreak has included Cydia access by default. However in the past I believe there were some day zero issues with things working exactly right. (either due to server load or a faulty jailbreak app version.)

I don't have Cydia with Absinthe 2.0. Or at least, not that I can tell. It's supposed to show up like any other app, right?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Chakron posted:

I don't have Cydia with Absinthe 2.0. Or at least, not that I can tell. It's supposed to show up like any other app, right?

Yes. Reboot your device. If it doesn't appear, just re-run the JB over the device again. It should download Cydia as part of the JB process, so you can then install other JB apps from then on.

At the release of a new JB, the Cydia servers get slammed and sometimes the DL times out. Keep trying and you'll get there.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Rebooted it and still nothing. I'll keep reinstalling until it works out, thanks. The install did seem to hang strangely at a few points, probably timed out like you said.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have a question. My iPad 3 was not jailbroken before, so naturally I had no problem moving to 5.1.1 a few days ago when given the go ahead.

However my iPhone 4S (which I will be doing next) is not on 5.1.1. At what stage in this very short, simple process should I be updating it to 5.1.1? Or does Absinthe handle that?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Feenix posted:

I have a question. My iPad 3 was not jailbroken before, so naturally I had no problem moving to 5.1.1 a few days ago when given the go ahead.

However my iPhone 4S (which I will be doing next) is not on 5.1.1. At what stage in this very short, simple process should I be updating it to 5.1.1? Or does Absinthe handle that?

You have to be on 5.1.1 before you can jailbreak, so update it first.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Crackbone posted:

You have to be on 5.1.1 before you can jailbreak, so update it first.

So:

Backup. Erase. Update. Jailbreak. Restore. Yeah?

Also, on my iPad, first pass on Absinthe 2.0. No Cydia. Trying again.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Feenix posted:

So:

You don't need to backup and erase to install the Apple-supported 5.1.1 update, that would be weird.

And yeah, apparently my jailbreak is just failing. I'll try it later this afternoon.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Feenix posted:

So:

Probably would work, but it makes more sense to update first, then backup and erase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok so, weirdness with my iPad. I had been coming back to my Safari screen on my mac to post here, but in watching the Absinthe progress bar, it quickly hits a "Something seems to have gone wrong, trying to recover" and then finishes. At that point, above the progress bar, I'm left with a message of "If you wish to try and jailbreak again, disconnect and reconnect your device." Which, having missed the first message before, I thought was just a standard finishing message but now I am assuming it's not. I guess it's failing each time. SO bizarre. I've redownloaded Absinthe to make sure it wasn't a bad download.

• Locked thread