Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Sweet, didn't even know there was a New Game + mode. One other quick q: Are there any dickishly hidden collectibles? Not well hidden but "You'd need a guide to know this area exists" hidden.

Well there are hint orbs (50 I think) and location orbs (about 200 or so) but those are like the pigeons in Grand Theft Auto 4. As in you would have to be loving crazy to bother finding them all when the reward is a tiny amount of xp which you get in huge quantities anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Goofballs posted:

You get a final mission and then its game over, would you like to start a newgame+. I can't remember what exactly the lead into it was but I remember thinking it was obvious at the time.

Even moreso than that, you can continue after the final mission without having to start a new game plus. No story missions, and the infected areas go down (a little bit). Military still has all their new stuff though. I don't remember if all the events are available right at the start of new game plus.

As far as hidden collectibles, none of them are like out on the aircraft carrier but they can be tricky to find since there's so many and manhattan is kind of large. Check under bridges, on rooftops and landings, between buildings and in alleys. And in parks and such, there's usually multiple in the larger blocks. Don't worry about getting them all, there's no special reward other than more experience for doing so.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Okay, I already have like 30 Hint + 125 Location, so I'll probably call it quits on those for now then. I'm decently far in, I just wanted to check before "Ooops, game is done, too bad!" happened.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pierzak posted:

What should I know before I play E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy? Any useless stats/research/whatever I have to watch out for? Also, any useful missables (I'd prefer spoiler free)?
Thank you for reminding me of this game; I remember hearing about both this and Alpha Protocol at the same time, and since every single person on these forums either loves or hates Alpha Protocol and nobody ever talks about E.Y.E., I completely forgot they were two separate games.

What I am saying is, somebody help Pierzak.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
This is what I've learned from 4 or 5 hours of EYE.

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

• Check this post for how to pull the stupid overlays and fisheye crap out of your sniper rifle's scope so you can actually shoot people with the drat thing. If you don't install those extra fixes, EYE's idea of a scope UI is remarkably reminiscent of MS Office's Clippy.
  • You can adjust the difficulty of the NPCs and their numbers in the option's menu of the game at any time. Harder mobs give more XP and cash when defeated. Do whatever seems fun to you at the time. The gunplay in this game is surprisingly fun.
  • Every time you start a mission or do much of anything, look for a big gothic wardrobe with a little armory waypoint on it. That's how you do your weapons and armor load out. If you don't stop there, you'll be in light armor with only a sword to your name.
  • Blocking with a sword (hold right click) also blocks bullets. Because that totally makes sense, right?
  • You can dual wield a sword and a handgun, block bullets with your sword and then cap fools in the face. It's awesome.
  • Research a medkit as soon as it's available. It's the only real way to heal yourself. You have a free, terrible healing power (Maintenance) bound to the V key by default. It does gently caress all for actual healing, but it will fix broken limbs.
  • Always be researching. You can adjust the slider for the research spending all the way to the left to make it substantially cheaper in exchange for taking longer. Time flies pretty fast, maybe on the order of 1 research day is about 4 or 5 minutes of gameplay.
  • Hacking kind of sucks, but it's necessary in some instances. If you absolutely have to hack something, try using the ability that reduces the enemy's attack strength, spam until they've got 0 attack, do a damaging attack and then go back to spamming the attack strength reducer (as the enemy has probably sacrificed some defense to increase it again). That takes loving forever (at least on my guy with a terrible hacking score), but you probably can't lose if you stick to that plan.
  • Stats have some game effect, but are also used to gate access to weapons and powers. Starting out, you may want to focus on getting the Bearkiller 444 handgun, because it shoots through aircraft, schools and heavily armored people's dirty faces. I think it requires something like 60ish accuracy, 38(?) strength and 25 agility. You should pick it up.
  • Bumping up the mob difficulty also reduces your maximum health (you'll have a black chunk that looks like damage but can't be healed.
  • You have a certain number of lives (respawns). If you run out, you have to start your current map again AND you have the potential of taking a permanent wound if your karma is low. They can eventually be fixed, but not for a long time.
  • Your karma is lowered when you shoot the poor defenseless, disgusting vermin that are all over the drat place. So you should probably stop.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
>>> This is what I've learned from 4 or 5 hours of EYE.

The roman lottery thread? :3:

>>>Check this post for how to pull the stupid overlays and fisheye crap out of your sniper rifle's scope so you can actually shoot people with the drat thing. If you don't install those extra fixes, EYE's idea of a scope UI is remarkably reminiscent of MS Office's Clippy.

I don't have the fish-eye effect and don't have a problem with the sniper graphics. Thanks for the thread, though.

edit: Motherfucker! :argh: Now I have no visor but the fish-eye effect.

>>>Every time you start a mission or do much of anything, look for a big gothic wardrobe with a little armory waypoint on it. That's how you do your weapons and armor load out. If you don't stop there, you'll be in light armor with only a sword to your name.

Do you drop all your equipment in the temple? I leave some in case something happens and it stays in the mission.

>>>You can dual wield a sword and a handgun, block bullets with your sword and then cap fools in the face. It's awesome.

Specifically: one pistol from the set of two, AND you can use the heavy sword Damocles like this :swoon:

>>> Stats have some game effect, but are also used to gate access to weapons and powers. Starting out, you may want to focus on getting the Bearkiller 444 handgun, because it shoots through aircraft, schools and heavily armored people's dirty faces. I think it requires something like 60ish accuracy, 38(?) strength and 25 agility. You should pick it up.

Thanks, was looking for the reqs for the 444.

>>>Your karma is lowered when you shoot the poor defenseless, disgusting vermin that are all over the drat place. So you should probably stop.

So what do you GAIN karma for? I have 100 despite shooting vermin every now and then, robbing ATMs and so on.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 21, 2012

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm an achievement hound and about to start MGS:HD on the XBOX. Would it be best to just play the game normally and wait for the new game+ modes to go for things? I seem to recall MGS2+3 having those (at the very least item unlocks after beating the game), but I don't know about Peace Walker.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

flatluigi posted:

I'm an achievement hound and about to start MGS:HD on the XBOX. Would it be best to just play the game normally and wait for the new game+ modes to go for things? I seem to recall MGS2+3 having those (at the very least item unlocks after beating the game), but I don't know about Peace Walker.

Peace Walker is structured as a list of missions, so you can just go back to whichever ones you want at a later time.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

flatluigi posted:

You'll get most of the achievements while going for the all S-ranks achievement in Peace Walker. Try to have 3 people with you for every boss fight, it's an easy way to get around 800 heroism. You can also grind a bit by mashing snake in/snake out in co-op.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Having never played a Splinter Cell before, is it worth it starting from the first one? If not, which is the best?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Having never played a Splinter Cell before, is it worth it starting from the first one? If not, which is the best?

Chaos Theory is the best one. If you like the play style, you should go back and try the others, but it really is the best.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

The first game is fun, if a bit clunky and dated, and Chaos Theory is one of the best stealth games ever made.

The rest are all rubbish.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ein Bear posted:

The first game is fun, if a bit clunky and dated, and Chaos Theory is one of the best stealth games ever made.

The rest are all rubbish.

This is wrong, Conviction was fun as hell. It's a totally different style of game but it isn't trash by any means.

I'd say if you just played Chaos Theory and Conviction you're pretty much set. Both games have great co-op too.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Id say skip the first one. I got it again for a dollar for Pc and after playing Chaos Theory, some of the things in the original are infuriating, such as how inaccurate your pistol is and some of the bullshit alarms just for not hiding a body in the right place.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Chaos theory is amazing. It doesn't even seem like it should have been possible on the original Xbox.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I agree with Blast, Conviction is a terrible Splinter Cell game, but it's a loving awesome stealth/action game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's only been out for a day, but anything for Dragon's Dogma?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is almost done downloading off of Steam. What should I know before diving in, goons?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I agree with Blast, Conviction is a terrible Splinter Cell game, but it's a loving awesome stealth/action game.

I like it as both. It was at least better than Pandora Tomorrow.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

WarLocke posted:

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is almost done downloading off of Steam. What should I know before diving in, goons?

There's some stuff on the wiki, but anything else would be appreciated on this as well.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

WarLocke posted:

Download the Total Combat Rebalance mod, install it with the Easy package. I'd also keep the NPC names, since there aren't that many unique models and it is good to know when someone has a name because then you know they are important in some way. The combat is still janky as all hell and is still the worst part of the game, though. Possibly second to running around everywhere, especially in Chapters 1 and 4.

Never be without Spectre or Vampire oil. Really all the oils are super useful, but those two specifically are necessary with that mod, otherwise vampires and ghosts will not die. Kill dogs in Vizima for their grease, then make and indiscriminately use oils as situations warrant.

I'd probably up Dex and Con first, since survivability is paramount. Focus on quick and then group style with the Witcher sword, and strong style then quick style with the Silver sword. Aard is useful in the beginning (especially during the chapter 1 boss fight), but once you get the fear effect on Igni, it is infinitely more useful.

It is overall an okay game that gets incredibly tedious at times.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 24, 2012

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Might be a long shot but does anyone have any tips for playing Twilight Imperium?
I got invited to a game in 6 hours and just started reading this http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/3-player/home/index.shtml which was linked in a PbP thread.

Edit:

WarLocke posted:

A Witcher without potions is half a Witcher. Buy alcohol for potion bases in acts I and II with your spare cash and you should find enough ingredients wandering to be on potions constantly. More important with the combat rebalance mod than vanilla, but always fun.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 25, 2012

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Cirofren posted:

Might be a long shot but does anyone have any tips for playing Twilight Imperium?
I got invited to a game in 6 hours and just started reading this http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/ti3/ti3demo/3-player/home/index.shtml which was linked in a PbP thread.

I can only help a bit, but if I remember correctly, the game takes a million billion hours, also hope somebody else already knows how to play, also read the manual while everybody spends three hours setting up.

If I remember correctly.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Everyone has played it before other than me. I'm also a fan of Axis & Allies and Risk 2210AD so I'm not worried about length.

Interested in any "watch out for players doing this, it means x" strategic advice as I'm sure they'll explain the basic rules and not mention the linchpins of their favored plays.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Cirofren posted:

Everyone has played it before other than me. I'm also a fan of Axis & Allies and Risk 2210AD so I'm not worried about length.

Interested in any "watch out for players doing this, it means x" strategic advice as I'm sure they'll explain the basic rules and not mention the linchpins of their favored plays.

Can't help you there then, sorry!

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cirofren posted:

Some things I learned from the 3 times I have played so far. I have only played with at least the first expansion, so these may not apply to the base version only.

1. Turtling will not win you the game. You need to go out and take over planets to either directly achieve victory conditions, or to get the resources to do it.

2. Try for an early alliance with one of your neighbors. Bonus points if you can get a 2 or 3 good trade card out of them. While you don't want to be trade partners with both neighbors, this doesn't mean mindlessly attack the other neighbor. Poke at them where they are weak to grab a planet.

3. Don't leave your border with your ally exposed. They will betray you at the worst point. Do pick a good time to make a strike at the ally. The trade goods are nice, but losing them for a turn can be made up for with the right planets or some VP.

4. Metacol Rex is important to have, but it can be really hard to hold. Lots of the secret objectives revolve around having a large force there. Sometimes it can be worth it to take the Action that lets you claim objectives in the middle of the turn. Make a suicide push for Metacol and score the VP.

5. The flip side to making Metacol important is that if someone can get a sizable defensive force there, no one wants to be the person to crack the nut. They will be greatly weakened, and leave Metacol for another player to come in and take it with little effort.

6. Don't ever let anyone grab a system directly next to your home system. That is begging for them to make a strike and grab your own home system. Remember, you can not score VP if you do not control your home system, so you can not win if that happens.

Now for some potentially obvious info:

Fighters are your cannon fodder, they are cheap to produce, they just take a lot of production capacity to roll out. You always want to have some with an attack fleet if possible.

You want to try to get 2 space docks in the same system. When you produce in that system, the production capacity from the space docks is added together. This can allow you to produce a good sized fleet in a single turn if you have the Trade Goods or planetary production.

Always try to use all your planets each turn. Unused planets don't do you any good at the end of the turn, with the only exception of "I now spend X influence" VP cards.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Orvin posted:

protips

Exactly what I was after! Thanks, I'll post back tomorrow on how well these served :v:

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

Just to be clear re Mass Effect 3- do you really need to complete all the side missions before doing the next Priority mission? Cause I just the completed the 3rd one and after a fun trip to the citadel it seems like I have about 20 side missions lined up. Also, I guess email messages have a time limit as well.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

Just to be clear re Mass Effect 3- do you really need to complete all the side missions before doing the next Priority mission? Cause I just the completed the 3rd one and after a fun trip to the citadel it seems like I have about 20 side missions lined up. Also, I guess email messages have a time limit as well.

No. Not all. But some expire. Examples include one at an "Academy" and a Temple of sorts. As for the random sidequests that people at the Citidel offer? Most of them DON'T expire, though some do, such as the one for the shopkeeper guy on the citidel (Barla Von I think).

All of those non-planet ones - ones that don't show up as a new quest on the Galaxy Map - are really just for flavor and extra Galactic Readiness. If it adds a quest, do it ASAP. They're all worth it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything I should know for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record? I've played the original DR2 quite a bit, and was wondering if there was anything new to watch out for or anything I'd want to make sure to do.

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

Skychrono posted:

No. Not all. But some expire. Examples include one at an "Academy" and a Temple of sorts. As for the random sidequests that people at the Citidel offer? Most of them DON'T expire, though some do, such as the one for the shopkeeper guy on the citidel (Barla Von I think).

All of those non-planet ones - ones that don't show up as a new quest on the Galaxy Map - are really just for flavor and extra Galactic Readiness. If it adds a quest, do it ASAP. They're all worth it.

Excellent, thanks. I'll probably end up doing everything anyway. Just got to hang with Kaisumi again for a mission which was fun. So far this game really seems to reward you for previous decisions.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

Excellent, thanks. I'll probably end up doing everything anyway. Just got to hang with Kaisumi again for a mission which was fun. So far this game really seems to reward you for previous decisions.

Also note that there are two points in the game where the Citadel experiences rather major changes. Some sidequests can be picked up before these and completed after, but others get locked out if you pass these points before completing them. The first one comes after you do the Priority: Tuchanka mission.

There are only 2 (IIRC) side missions that are actually timed (Grissom Academy and the Tuchanka Bomb one) so I'd do those ASAP when you get them, but otherwise I generally did everything BUT Priorities first and I don't think I missed anything.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Mr E posted:

Anything I should know for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record? I've played the original DR2 quite a bit, and was wondering if there was anything new to watch out for or anything I'd want to make sure to do.

Money and experience is shared between Story and Free Play mode, so if you get stuck in the story and don't feel like restarting you can tool around a bit in free play.

Also, you have the Dodge Roll from the outset this time around, which is a godsend.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Two questions about Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones for PC, Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

1) My camera controls binds reverse left and right every time I exit the game. Anyone else had this problem?

2) Windows Media Center launches every time I exit too. That one is just baffling.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything for Game of Thrones? I rented it on a whim because hey, game of thrones is cool and I like Dragon Age so why not?

Mainly I'm worried about loving myself through bad stat allocation, but I'm also curious if there are certain skills that are must-haves or don't bothers, etc.

I just started the game, picked a hedge knight...I'm so bad at knowing what to do with stat points in games like this, so I just want to make sure I don't screw myself over. I'm playing on casual, but I bet I can still screw myself.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I want to try getting into Dark Souls again, but the wiki entry is VERY sparse. What else should I know before going in? I'm going to restart with a new character, are there any classes that are more noob friendly?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

I want to try getting into Dark Souls again, but the wiki entry is VERY sparse. What else should I know before going in? I'm going to restart with a new character, are there any classes that are more noob friendly?

Class only determines your starting class, items, and soul level. Soul level determines how much it costs to buy the next level - going from 1 to 2 is cheaper than going from 2 to 3, and so on.

The pyromancer is probably the best bet for new players, starting as it does with a decent weapon and pyromancy right off the bat - fireball is very handy for much of the early game. Pyromancer also starts at soul level 1, the only class to do so, so you level up faster initially.

Really, though, one could make a case for any class at all except the deprived, which starts with no armour and poo poo weapons. It ceased to matter what your class was after an hour or two.

You pick a gift at character creation. All of the items can be found elsewhere, and most are dubiously useful. The Skeleton Key is the best gift, because it will be a while before you're able to buy it, and it's handy from the get-go.

Oh, and general tip - you will die, you will lose souls and humanity because you couldn't get back to where you died. This is not a big deal. Try not to stress because you've just lost 10,000 souls and 7 humanity and died a second time. You'll make that all up again before too long.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dr Snofeld posted:

Class only determines your starting class, items, and soul level. Soul level determines how much it costs to buy the next level - going from 1 to 2 is cheaper than going from 2 to 3, and so on.

The pyromancer is probably the best bet for new players, starting as it does with a decent weapon and pyromancy right off the bat - fireball is very handy for much of the early game. Pyromancer also starts at soul level 1, the only class to do so, so you level up faster initially.

Really, though, one could make a case for any class at all except the deprived, which starts with no armour and poo poo weapons. It ceased to matter what your class was after an hour or two.

You pick a gift at character creation. All of the items can be found elsewhere, and most are dubiously useful. The Skeleton Key is the best gift, because it will be a while before you're able to buy it, and it's handy from the get-go.

Oh, and general tip - you will die, you will lose souls and humanity because you couldn't get back to where you died. This is not a big deal. Try not to stress because you've just lost 10,000 souls and 7 humanity and died a second time. You'll make that all up again before too long.

Tagging a question on to this: Is the Pendant a worthwhile choice as your starting gift? Does it have any bearing on anything besides story? I couldn't find an answer anywhere else that I could be sure wasn't a spoiler.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Remember too that if you're going down the pyomancy road you'll need to upgrade the glove every chance you get otherwise you can really screw yourself over.

Also the Pendant, if I'm remembering right, is just something to sell/crow girl trade but gives one or two extra bits of dialogue. You should always stick with the Skeleton Key though, or if you're a Rogue grab the bombs to breeze through the earlier stuff.

I would love to share a ton of advice, but I haven't played since release and I left off before the patch hit. I'm not sure how much balancing has gone in to render certain tactics obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Tagging a question on to this: Is the Pendant a worthwhile choice as your starting gift? Does it have any bearing on anything besides story? I couldn't find an answer anywhere else that I could be sure wasn't a spoiler.

If the pendant has any purpose in the game, at all, nobody's found it yet.

The patch changed a few things, like making the Hollow Soldier Shield kind of crappy instead of an early game gem, but it also did some player-friendly things like gave arrows to most every merchant, made Homeward Bones drop after boss fights, and nearly doubled the rate of soul gain.