Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's a lot quieter and the original wasn't that good to begin with.

The Dash 8-100 to -300 are well-liked by pilots; it's a solid, reliable, honest aircraft. The Q400 is even better; to put it in automotive terms, it's the Shelby Cobra of turboprop airliners. Each engine in the Q400 has as much power as both engines combined in the older Dash 8s, which make it a super climber and really quite fast.

Airlines don't really care for the Q400, as the super speed comes with super fuel bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Having lived in ATL for a number of years I got used to the airport and honestly never had any problems with it on domestic flights, but I will admit that the terminals are far too claustrophobic with their low 80s ceilings..

If you think ceilings in ATL are low, the terminal UA uses for domestic at MIA is way worse. I literally hit my head on the ceiling there last time I suffered United.

The AA and DL terminals at MIA are great though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

grover posted:

That is some excellent news! CRJ-100/200s don't bother me so much since I got a rollaboard backpack, but DC-9s... It's extremely disturbing getting onboard an aircraft that I know ceased production 30 years ago, and then sat in a boneyard for god knows how many years before being pressed back into service with a low-bid overhaul.

All airports have their own special flavor of suck. My worst experiences in the US have been at JFK and PHL. But to be honest, they all sort of run together after a while. I don't have many specific complaints about the airports in Europe. My worst experiences outside of the US have been in Africa. Makes you appreciate just how nice we have it and how much we take for granted! FAA certification and aircraft inspections, for instance. And how relatively modern DC-9s are.

I can buy into being weirded out by old rear end jets still in service. The E-3 is a different story since I'm so well familiar with the plane. It's also over-engineered to the hilt. That's comforting. Today, we aerial refueled with a 58 model KC-135. Mind boggling.

On a civilian airliner note, I have a healthy dislike flying on any of the prior NG model 737's. Can't tell you why, but they freak me the hell out. Alaska Airlines operates a 737-400 Combi which I've flown on a few times. That one is highly unsettling to me.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

If you think ceilings in ATL are low, the terminal UA uses for domestic at MIA is way worse. I literally hit my head on the ceiling there last time I suffered United.

The AA and DL terminals at MIA are great though.

That's the way I feel about FLL (except T1.) The ceilings are way too short and it almost feels like a subway terminal. I hate that airport so much. On the other hand I love TPA for its bright airy terminals and easy security. One of the best airports i've been through.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hey you can save literal tens of dollars a day by dropping the ceiling, out of the thousands your spending.

2025, rooves are all 5'9.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

MrChips posted:

Airlines don't really care for the Q400, as the super speed comes with super fuel bills.
How bad we talking here? Sales seem pretty solid.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

While you are busy contemplating the miracle of human legroom, some Australian accountants (??) have been chatting with Neil Armstrong.

An hour with the commander himself here: http://thebottomline.cpaaustralia.com.au/

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

HeyEng posted:

On a civilian airliner note, I have a healthy dislike flying on any of the prior NG model 737's. Can't tell you why, but they freak me the hell out. Alaska Airlines operates a 737-400 Combi which I've flown on a few times. That one is highly unsettling to me.
The most unsettling flight I've been on was a 737-200 in Africa. There were a lot of things going wrong on that plane, but it was the duct-tape on the wings that really had me worried.

Cygni posted:

Hey you can save literal tens of dollars a day by dropping the ceiling, out of the thousands your spending.

2025, rooves are all 5'9.
Less cubic feet of terminal, less space to air condition, and the lower the cost of your terminal fees and, hence, your flight! Split up amongst hundreds of passengers at each gate, you're saving at LEAST a few tenths of a cent on each flight. And that adds up!

grover fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 24, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrChips posted:

The Dash 8-100 to -300 are well-liked by pilots; it's a solid, reliable, honest aircraft. The Q400 is even better; to put it in automotive terms, it's the Shelby Cobra of turboprop airliners. Each engine in the Q400 has as much power as both engines combined in the older Dash 8s, which make it a super climber and really quite fast.

I was speaking from the passenger standpoint. I do like the Q a lot especially since it is noticeably quieter than either the older ATRs or the -300 (never been in a -100 or -200). Porter has really nice Q400s.

I don't like 737s due to fuselage diameter. The A320 is ever so slightly larger and I find that it makes a huge difference in terms of my ability to fit my vastly oversized two-laptop computer bag under the seat in front of me.

If you hate low terminal ceilings, Memphis is not your friend.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mobius1B7R posted:

That's the way I feel about FLL (except T1.) The ceilings are way too short and it almost feels like a subway terminal. I hate that airport so much. On the other hand I love TPA for its bright airy terminals and easy security. One of the best airports i've been through.

TPA and MCO are both quite nice. I'm done with FLL, it's too hard to get to (I have to contend with the really jammed up part of US-1 in Coconut Grove to get to I-95) compared to MIA.

Helado
Mar 7, 2004

Terminal B at IAH is by far the weirdest smelling / cramped terminal I can think of. I'm used to flying regional (most of my miles are on CRJ200 and ERJ), so cramped gates at the rear end end of terminals are normal, but that one gives an air of cattle chute every time I go through there.

Also hate having to go through DFW. For a place that has to deal with weather constantly, it sure seems like they still have no idea what to do when it hits.

Detroit is my current favorite when I have to connect. The layout aside from the somewhat nonsensical gate ordering in some places is pretty straight forward and getting from one terminal to another is efficient. I wouldn't necessarily want to be stuck there for a long layover, but it's good for getting you in and out.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

grover posted:

The most unsettling flight I've been on was a 737-200 in Africa. There were a lot of things going wrong on that plane, but it was the duct-tape on the wings that really had me worried.
I assume they used speed tape, not duct-tape, and that is quite common for minor repairs on planes. The adhesive is really strong, so it shouldn't be an issue. If it was real duct-tape, it probably would have peeled off during the flight, which I agree would have been fairly unsettling.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Helado posted:

Detroit is my current favorite when I have to connect. The layout aside from the somewhat nonsensical gate ordering in some places is pretty straight forward and getting from one terminal to another is efficient. I wouldn't necessarily want to be stuck there for a long layover, but it's good for getting you in and out.

Detroit loving blows if you have to change terminals. The other terminal is across the runway in another county.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Advent Horizon posted:

Detroit loving blows if you have to change terminals. The other terminal is across the runway in another county.

Oh it is not. North Terminal is still in Wayne County. The edge of Wayne County sure, but it's still in there :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Helado posted:

Is that the one with the internal monorail, that never seems like the fastest option?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

smackfu posted:

Is that the one with the internal monorail, that never seems like the fastest option?

Yes it is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

smackfu posted:

Yes, and it's never the fastest option.

However the Drug Tunnel is pretty neat

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

HeyEng posted:

You big baby, you obviously have never done the Seattle-Ketchikan-Sitka-Juneau or Juneau-Yakutat-Cordova-Anchorage milk runs in a -200 Combi.

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz

smackfu posted:

Amsterdam Schiphol is pretty annoying because a lot of the flights use the newest Polderbaan runway which is like 4 miles from the terminal. So if you connect through there it's like 40 minutes longer than through another airport.

Any time I ever fly to The Netherlands it's for a big weekend like a festival. This means lots of drinking pre/during flight. There has been a few occasions where I have been toying with a trip to the loo when the seatbelt signs come on, and therefore a few tortuous taxis to the terminal.

Other than that I quite like Schiphol. Especially getting to stand in the engine and eat curly fries in the public area of the terminal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

You big baby, you obviously have never done the Seattle-Ketchikan-Sitka-Juneau or Juneau-Yakutat-Cordova-Anchorage milk runs in a -200 Combi.

I like Classics because you can see the clamshell thrust reversers deploy on the aft of the JTD-8s :metal:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

SyHopeful posted:

Carry-on? Why would you want to bring anything onto the plane with you? I'm sorry, I can't hear your response because I'm deaf due to the NOISE OH GOD THIS PLANE IS LOUD AS gently caress.

Alaska once tried to send me from Fairbanks to Juneau on not one but 2 milk runs. That would have been an all day adventure. Fairbanks-Barrow-Deadhorse-Anchorage-Cordova-Yakutat-Juneau.

Though, that would still beat any trip involving Kuparuk before they paved it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

EnergizerFellow posted:

How bad we talking here? Sales seem pretty solid.

Of late, the Q400 has been massively outsold by the ATR 72. Bombardier has something like a 40 aircraft backlog, whereas ATR has almost a 250 aircraft backlog. Part of the problem is that the Q400 is more expensive to purchase (about 20 to 30 percent more than the ATR, depending on who you believe), but also to operate as well. As an example, the ATR 72-600 cruises at roughly 270 knots, burning about 2000 lb. of fuel per hour. The Q400 typically cruises at roughly 340 knots, but burns a bit more than 3000 lb. of fuel per hour, which depending on the length of the flight means there is very little fuel savings over a comparable regional jet. The Q can cruise slower, but below about 280-290 knots, your fuel burn per mile starts to increase pretty dramatically.

That said, the Q still has some key advantages over the ATR. Here in western Canada, where we have lots of airways over mountainous terrain, the ATR would suffer a pretty severe weight penalty on account if its comparatively poor single-engine cruise performance. In many cases, the ATR wouldn't be able to maintain the minimum safe altitude on a lot of these airways, whereas the Q would have margin to spare.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 24, 2012

Beerios
May 9, 2006

by T. Mascis

MrChips posted:

How does the fuel burn compare with RJs of similar capacity? Does the Q400 actually have any advantages or is it just preferred when union contracts are less restrictive with turboprops than jets for regional routes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Beerios posted:

How does the fuel burn compare with RJs of similar capacity? Does the Q400 actually have any advantages or is it just preferred when union contracts are less restrictive with turboprops than jets for regional routes?

Basically all contracts are based on capacity, not engine type.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/05/massive-spy-blimp/ Looks like the LEMV is finally going to flyfloat sometime in early June. I can't wait to see one of these monstrosities lumbering through the air again, and as useful as it is for reconaissance, I'm even more interested in its potential roles in cargo, disaster relief, and civillian transport.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pretty sure it's nonviable as civilian air transport unless it's going to be some sort of cruise liner /sightseeing type thing (which would be rad as hell) but it could definitely have heavylift utility, potentially.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking. A flying club/restaurant/lounge in the truly giant models would be pretty boss. On the flip side, their supposed ability to deliver 500 or 1000 tons of aid to somewhere remote like Haiti in a relatively quick fashion will save lives. We'll know for sure how viable any of this in a couple weeks.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
So I'm done seeing posts about airports and I'll actually post some useful info here. If you've got The Military Channel they have a show called "Great Planes". Next Wed they are airing an Episode about the XB-70. For those of you interested in it might be a good show to watch. Here's the schedule for the show.

http://military.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=52.16939.135733.42906.6

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Beerios posted:

The Q400 burns quite a bit less per hour than, for example, the similarly-sized CRJ-700 (something like 25-30 percent less per hour at cruise, and a lot less on takeoff and climb) and on short routes it has an advantage in trip fuel burn. On longer flights (more than 700 nautical miles, though this number varies quite a bit), the additional speed of the CRJ-700 will actually work in its favour for trip fuel burn.

As for contracts and scope clauses, every mainline airline in the US has contracted their 70-seaters out to the regionals, so props vs. jets has no effect on them whatsoever.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

As for contracts and scope clauses, every mainline airline in the US has contracted their 70-seaters out to the regionals, so props vs. jets has no effect on them whatsoever.

For pilot contracts, sure. I bet SkyWest doesn't have the option to run Delta's LAX-SFO service as a turboprop though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tekne posted:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/05/massive-spy-blimp/ Looks like the LEMV is finally going to flyfloat sometime in early June. I can't wait to see one of these monstrosities lumbering through the air again, and as useful as it is for reconaissance, I'm even more interested in its potential roles in cargo, disaster relief, and civillian transport.

I like how that article ends. "gently caress you Pakistan, we'll build a giant blimp to make up for your closed supply lines."

Only in America.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

From one of those post-photos-to-generate-likes pages on Facebook.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The break-even load factor on the Q400 is supposedly really good on 60 minute and shorter flights in comparison to turbofan RJs of similar size but that could also be Bombardier propaganda and bullshit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pretty sure it's nonviable as civilian air transport unless it's going to be some sort of cruise liner /sightseeing type thing (which would be rad as hell) but it could definitely have heavylift utility, potentially.

Just FYI, if you wanted to fly on a proper airship, a company flying out of moffet field in California has a Zeppelin NT doing sightseeing flights.

Also, :dance:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like Classics because you can see the clamshell thrust reversers deploy on the aft of the JTD-8s :metal:

I never actually hated the pre-NG 737s, but again I grew up flying out of JNU on Alaska's 727s and 737s, back when I could be comfortable in coach and before these draconian security measures sucked the joy from flying.

I still remember the whine of those 727s taxiing at the airport, could hear them from my house in the Valley.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just FYI, if you wanted to fly on a proper airship, a company flying out of moffet field in California has a Zeppelin NT doing sightseeing flights.

I see that drat thing in the sky all the time, but it's far too expensive for me to justify: 45 minute flights, the shortest they offer, are like $400.

http://www.airshipventures.com/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SyHopeful posted:

I never actually hated the pre-NG 737s, but again I grew up flying out of JNU on Alaska's 727s and 737s, back when I could be comfortable in coach and before these draconian security measures sucked the joy from flying.

I still remember the whine of those 727s taxiing at the airport, could hear them from my house in the Valley.

My favorite thing about this story is those whiny-rear end engines are what the AF is now looking to use on the JSTARS, as an upgrade. I know they're on at least one airframe so far, not sure if it's a testbed or not though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

When I was at MEM last week I was struck by how god drat mother loving loud the FedEx 727s and even Delta DC-9-51s are, especially compared to your IAE-2500 and CFM56 engined aircraft. We've made a lot of progress.

I don't have trouble being in coach because usually I get economy comfort :chord: and I ain't that big. Security can gently caress off, though.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I haven't flown out of O'Hare in years, but holy poo poo is it easier to get to than Midway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's kind of cool but I want a black man in a white tuxedo to play jazz on a specialty aluminum piano while I gaze out over New York City drinking a Sazerac in a nice dinner jacket with a beautiful girl on my arm.

If I can't have that in a Zeppelin, I'm not interested.