Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
MarlinPie was at Knock Out Fights this weekend and brought out a Doom exchange combo I haven't seen before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq7LrZ_j16Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

iPodschun posted:

MarlinPie was at Knock Out Fights this weekend and brought out a Doom exchange combo I haven't seen before

Jesus, is C.Viper wearing Doom's armor?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Chris G using zero in the only way pubbies know how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-NyP70URQ

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Holy poo poo I lost it the first time JRosa tried to create some space and Chris just chases him across the screen with f.H. Also ChrisG's top tier block string of f.H f.H f.H....

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

iPodschun posted:

so would this be

... TAC, photon array xx addf, j.M, f+H xx flight, (move forward), j.M xx adf, j.M j.M xx addf j.M j.M, j.H, (empty)j.S (land) doom time?

I have to try this out later.

edit: vvvvv ya you're right, thats the TAC hit

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 23, 2012

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Thres no j.L

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Can Ammy do slow during any of her combos and continue the combo?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I'm streaming the tournament tonight and have two questions.

- Theres 21 people in the 360 bracket and I believe the UMVC lobbies max out at 8 people. Should I just stick to one side of the bracket and spec all those matches or should I try jumping around to try to show everyone playing?

- Is anyone good at commentary? I could try my hand at it but it would be a pretty dry play-by-play. The other option is to not have any but that seems kind of boring. Shout out in the thread if have any ideas

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
I'm signed up on PSN. Hope I didn't miss like a deadline or something.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Dren posted:

Can Ammy do slow during any of her combos and continue the combo?

Her slow super has 21 startup frames and 27 recovery frames, so I doubt she can without an assist.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Metrohunter posted:

Her slow super has 21 startup frames and 27 recovery frames, so I doubt she can without an assist.

I don't know Ammy's moveset really well but it seems like there should be ample time for that after the charged aerial glaive attack that causes a HUGE ground bounce.

You can see the glaive move in Honzo Gonzo's video, which made me wonder about using slow during combos in the first place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRshNfeaDQQ

My thought was wouldn't slow expand hitstun, allowing more damage from Ammy's combos?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

:siren:Tournament tonight 9est/6pst :siren:

Kuvo posted:

So I'm streaming the tournament tonight and have two questions.

- Theres 21 people in the 360 bracket and I believe the UMVC lobbies max out at 8 people. Should I just stick to one side of the bracket and spec all those matches or should I try jumping around to try to show everyone playing?

- Is anyone good at commentary? I could try my hand at it but it would be a pretty dry play-by-play. The other option is to not have any but that seems kind of boring. Shout out in the thread if have any ideas

I'm actually not sure. I'd go with a five man lobby. So that there's a good flow of people being in the room without downtime and extending it to a six person room when your matches are up. If you want you can try to get everyone on stream at least once but I'd stick to winner's bracket after a round or two. Also post your stream url FSLink you too.

NoMoneyDown posted:

I'm signed up on PSN. Hope I didn't miss like a deadline or something.

The only deadline is being in IRC BEFORE 9est/6pst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3 join the room with whatever you signed up as lest I accidently mark you absent. I'm gonna take role and thin out the brackets before it actually starts

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ybrik posted:

:siren:Tournament tonight 9est/6pst :siren:

I'm actually not sure. I'd go with a five man lobby. So that there's a good flow of people being in the room without downtime and extending it to a six person room when your matches are up. If you want you can try to get everyone on stream at least once but I'd stick to winner's bracket after a round or two. Also post your stream url FSLink you too.

The only deadline is being in IRC BEFORE 9est/6pst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3 join the room with whatever you signed up as lest I accidently mark you absent. I'm gonna take role and thin out the brackets before it actually starts

Nice. I look forward to going 0-2 since I haven't played in two weeks.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Ybrik posted:

Okay, time to expose myself as a clueless Mennonite. What kind of hardware or software do I need to interact with that link for synirc.net? What are the steps between "Download this program / visit this site" and "You are now in the lobby ready to participate in the tournament"?

Do I need to hook up my PS3 to my computer through a separate accessory or some kind of high-tech voodoo?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Okay, time to expose myself as a clueless Mennonite. What kind of hardware or software do I need to interact with that link for synirc.net? What are the steps between "Download this program / visit this site" and "You are now in the lobby ready to participate in the tournament"?

Do I need to hook up my PS3 to my computer through a separate accessory or some kind of high-tech voodoo?

mIRC. http://www.mirc.com/get.html

Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a chat protocol. Within an IRC client you connect to a synirc.net server then join the room #sa-mvc3. I've never clicked one of those links but mIRC or another client probably can ingest that link and connect you automatically. Once you're on a server you can generally change your name via "/name EmperorFritoBandito".

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Most IM clients (I use pidgin) can do IRC. Firefox and Chrome have extensions you can download that will allow you to connect, or if you have Oprea it's built right into the browser.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Don't feel bad. This is my first time in an IRC as well. :hfive:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

IRC is just an internet chat system. If you don't want to download a program for it you can just go to http://mibbit.com/ and hit "launch app". Set the 'connect' drop down box to SYNIrc and put #goonsgarden in the channel and you're good to go.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Okay, neat. Got Firefox's ChatZilla add-on and I'm in the room with one or two other people. Three hours 'til go time. Thanks, everyone.

I'm still a little unclear about the science of this stuff. When I turn on my PS3 later, is there going to be an invite or something that I respond to, or do I need to feed it some more info to find the lobby?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I have to go take care of a situation and I don't know if I'll be done before 9:00. I don't remember if you can remove yourself from the signup list or not and don't have time to check so just know that theguy2687/melloblack2 on the 360 list will no longer be participating.

Next time goons. Trish/Dorm/Wesker or Cap/Dorm/Morrigan are gonna wreck house.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Are the streams going to be viewable after the fight, or is it a one-time deal? I'm gonna be at work all night so I won't be able to watch them on a computer, and I doubt I can get my dinosaur smartphone to run any streaming anything.

Also, thanks for the consideration of a weekend tourney, I'd love to do one. Barring that, if this starts being a regular thing I'll have weekday evenings off once summer vacation starts.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

Are the streams going to be viewable after the fight, or is it a one-time deal? I'm gonna be at work all night so I won't be able to watch them on a computer, and I doubt I can get my dinosaur smartphone to run any streaming anything.

Don't know about FSLink, but my stream is going to be on twitch so the videos will be viewable afterwards.

Edit: 360 stream will be here http://www.twitch.tv/tippingforties

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 25, 2012

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009
Yes, mine's also gonna be on twitch.

http://twitch.tv/fslink will be where it'll be at.

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!
Just signed up for the 360 tournament. I've barely played this game in the last 6 months so it should be a nice easy win for whoever plays against me.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
So based on this thread the 360 tourney is a bunch of people who haven't played in months and Nidhogg. The practicing I'm doing now is the first time I touched the game since February. For those of us where it's different should we be in the IRC under our SA name or our GT?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

So based on this thread the 360 tourney is a bunch of people who haven't played in months and Nidhogg. The practicing I'm doing now is the first time I touched the game since February. For those of us where it's different should we be in the IRC under our SA name or our GT?

Whatever you entered as. Since you did both you're fine.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Topologic isn't making it to the 360 tournament.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

:siren:brackets:siren:
the brackets mean nothing :shepface:

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 25, 2012

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Yo, last minute signup here. Just let me know if I completed reg.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Ybrik posted:

:siren:brackets:siren:
the brackets mean nothing :shepface:

I got screencaps for posterity's sake.

Also, I'm officially bad at this game. Only good thing I can say is that the nonstop lag saved me from a worse beating.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Lost both my chances, met some good players, a good day.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I cannot believe I had so much fun getting my rear end handed to me.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Despite liberal application on my part of Fraudulent Hulk I got my rear end stomped on and still had a blast. We definitely need to do this more often.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
I'd really love to do this again, but my connection seemed to be the worst in the entire tournament. I'd feel guilty unless I got a new modem or something.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Great games guys, would love to do it again sometime!

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Argh, Taskmaster!!! I hate you tabs! :argh:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You can view the 360 video here. Tabs (who went on to win) was nice enough to body me in the first round and send me to losers, so most of the video is me trying to climb out of that. Matches of note...

winners finals starts @ 1:22:00
losers finals starts @ 1:37:40
grand finals starts @ 1:49:35

(or watch me send out dooms chair instead of a sphere flame @ 1:11:24)

Anyway, great matches guys! We should do it again some time!

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
I hope I can find someone's disk to borrow and install to my hd before the next tournament.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

:siren:Tournament Results:siren:

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/gooooooonss
Winner:Tabs Taskmaster/Trish/Hawkeye Ryu/Iron Man/AKuma
Runner Up: WalrusWhiskers Wolverine/Sentinel/Spencer
Third Place: Disease Arthur/Vergil/Dr. Strange

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/whyyyyyyyy
Winner: Um Jammer 6096 Spence/Felicia/Shuma-Gorath
Runner Up: Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull
Third Place: Bomper Dante/Doom/Sentinel

Good poo poo everybody. Things didn't go especially smoothly at first but it worked out ok. Special thanks To Kuvo for running the Xbox stream and FSLink for the PS3 stream.

It was a lot of fun and I think the people want more so the next one will be Wednesday May 30th 10pmest/7pmpst. This gives people who weren't able to compete this week a chance to get in there and show us what they got. No brackets this time until tourney day when they will be posted in IRC at 10/7 and the tourney will start at hopefully 10:15

Let me know what you guys thought and think should be changed/kept. :)

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
That was really fun. I might be able to participate next week, but it's in the middle of finals so I don't know.

You should mention the top 3 teams if possible.

• Locked thread