Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Speaking of Idols, what do I do with the Silver Idol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

Anyone know where I can find and idol for the blacksmith or another town that actually has vendors? Tired of looking at the same gear for the whole game so far.
I think the blacksmith in Gran Soren will always have the best stuff available, not counting a few odds and ends that traveling vendors have. Stuff seems to unlock as you do quests. Also so far my best stuff has come from chests, not from him.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Are there any items that let you recolor gear in this game? There's been a distressing lack of purple pants so far.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Speaking of Idols, what do I do with the Silver Idol?

You can give it to Madeleine. I think she has a shop in Gran Soren. I'm pretty sure that the idols don't actually give you anything new, you just get discounts.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
So I just read that the stat gains are dependent on what you class you have when you level up. Can you respec somehow? Or is it not that important in the long run?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

About the trial quest: What's the difference between letting the guy be found guilty or innocent? The merchant dude is asking which affidavit I want. I'm thinking to let him walk but I have no idea if he's innocent or not

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Det_no posted:

So I just read that the stat gains are dependent on what you class you have when you level up. Can you respec somehow? Or is it not that important in the long run?

You can change your vocation at the Gran Soren Inn.

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009

futureproof posted:

You can give it to Madeleine. I think she has a shop in Gran Soren. I'm pretty sure that the idols don't actually give you anything new, you just get discounts.

When you give the idols for the quests you gain new items to buy from the shops. Other than that, they do just give discounts, and notably, a forgery of an idol gives the same discount as the real thing (though I don't recommend using it for either quest)

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the blacksmith in Gran Soren will always have the best stuff available, not counting a few odds and ends that traveling vendors have. Stuff seems to unlock as you do quests. Also so far my best stuff has come from chests, not from him.

From what I've seen the best stuff comes from the traveling vendor's, chests, or the one that takes up shop in the Ancient Quarry after you complete his quests.

Edit: That is to say the blacksmith just seems to give the most mediocre gear, as far as I can tell.

Refind Chaos fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 25, 2012

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

futureproof posted:

Giving an idol to Madeleine got me new items. And I gave a fake one to the weapon vendor in town. Whoops. Not to mention Madeleine got accused of treason and her shop is gone now. Well, at least I have this idol for new game+.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Policenaut posted:

About the trial quest: What's the difference between letting the guy be found guilty or innocent? The merchant dude is asking which affidavit I want. I'm thinking to let him walk but I have no idea if he's innocent or not

I had him found guilty and now I can't find him, but apparently he's still supposed to be around afterwards. He's actually a merchant though, so I bet you get a discount if he's found innocent. To do that, only hand in the evidence than declares him innocent.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Giving an idol to Madeleine got me new items. And I gave a fake one to the weapon vendor in town. Whoops. Not to mention Madeleine got accused of treason and her shop is gone now. Well, at least I have this idol for new game+.

drat, I didn't know that. I gave the blacksmith a bronze idol and I'm pretty sure he didn't get anything new. Never encountered Madeleine in my playthrough though, guess I'll have to find her in new game+.

futureproof fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 25, 2012

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Don't worry the items she sold are findable elsewhere.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Does anyone know at what point Madeleine's idol quest opens up? I already gave one to the blacksmith but Madeleine hasn't mentioned anything about wanting one yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ah, I thought he was tapped because he hasn't gotten anything new in like 6 quests. This game needs more vendors or loot drops.

...and more stamina

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

futureproof posted:

You can change your vocation at the Gran Soren Inn.

I know but as I understand it when you level up you get stats depending on what vocation you are using at the moment. So someone that stayed warrior too long would make a lovely mage and so on.

It only worries me a bit because you can only have one character per profile.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah, I kinda wish I could run more when I'm hoofin' it across the world.

Also this game makes me want to run around yelling "THEIR ILK HATES FIRE!" and other sort of RPish things

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Det_no posted:

I know but as I understand it when you level up you get stats depending on what vocation you are using at the moment. So someone that stayed warrior too long would make a lovely mage and so on.

It only worries me a bit because you can only have one character per profile.

You should be fine as long as you didn't spend like 30-40 levels as a fighter/mage and want to change to the other type of vocation. I'd say in the long run it really doesn't matter. You only get (at most) 4-6 per main stat when you level up, so augments and equipment should be able to make up whatever natural deficit you have. Unless, like I said, you spend most of the game as one particular class.

\/\/\/ Also what he said. Every 5 levels or so I just hire a mage with high anodyne and high halidom, anything else is just a bonus.

VDay fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 25, 2012

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
Goons (at least 360 goons). Give your mages Halidom or High Halidom... The point of a mage is so I don't have to carry around any consumables, kinda wasted when I need to carry a bunch of panaceas and such around...

And stop saying you have one character per profile. You have one character per profile per save device. You should have more than one save device to use unless you both have a non-Gold account and a 360 without a main unit of any kind. Or in the case of PS3 users, I don't honestly know.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

NESguerilla posted:

...and more stamina
You can get two 100 stamina abilities from strider and Magick archer, if you're so inclined.

I... think? that stamina burn rate when running at least also depends on encumbrance, so you might also snag the warrior ability to hold more.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
If anyone's just getting into this and wanting to build a melee character, I've had excellent results by spending my first 23 levels as a Strider then branching off into Fighter. You hit for piss all at first, but you get really good stamina growth and augments. You end up with an insanely mobile fighter who can chain specials eternally and cling to giant monsters just as long. Attack and defense even out quickly with a few fighter levels, and the shield is a godsend.

Also, whoever owns Bort the obese transgendered Dwarf: That little bastard is a trooper. I took him out to hunt ogres and he made all the difference by clinging to the worst one's face and stabbing away like a deranged monkey. Think he was level 6 at the time. Goon pawns do the craziest poo poo, I swear.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

so maybe I'm missing something or possibly just stupid.

How come my Pawn can't change into a hybrid vocation?

apocrypha
Mar 1, 2009

VDay posted:

So has seriously no one finished the "A Lost Cause" and "Thanks Mislaid" quests? I can't find where those two items are anywhere and nobody on the internet seems to know.
I've finished both.

For "A Lost Cause": Go to Prayer Falls, which is near the Abbey, and follow the river as close as possible to the shore and head right towards that bridge northwest of Gran Soren. Break open any debris. I got my purse from a spot in the water where there were a bunch of invisible saurians, near the shore in a shallow part of the river about midway through, but apparently the spot is randomized.

For "Thanks Mislaid": Go to Fournival's mansion and check the counter directly across from the entrance and underneath a wardrobe/bookcase upstairs in his room. You should find two documents in total, one of those is it.

alternatively, rent out my pawn if you're on the PSN!!!

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
When you release a pawn, do you get back all the crafting stuff they were carrying automatically, or do you have to manually take it from them? The first pawn I invited in was grabby as all hell, and I didn't think I could check her inventory before I let her go.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just killed a drake and have a question about an item it dropped. It was called "Dragon's Tear" or something like that and said if I collected all of them enemies would drop different items or something like that. Anyone know what the deal is?

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
It's part of the Post Game content. Everfall enemies will drop wakestones and such instead of normal drops or in addition, not sure.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

LaserShark posted:

When you release a pawn, do you get back all the crafting stuff they were carrying automatically, or do you have to manually take it from them? The first pawn I invited in was grabby as all hell, and I didn't think I could check her inventory before I let her go.

They seem to go straight to your storage, but I'm not sure. I've dismissed pawns and found extra stuff in storage, but I've also had my pawn return with more than one item and as far as I can tell you can only choose one gift.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
PSN acting lovely tonight or what, ugh.

WeakLad posted:

so maybe I'm missing something or possibly just stupid.

How come my Pawn can't change into a hybrid vocation?
Hybrid vocations are reserved for Arisen only.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

I've switched to fighter to max out the class and to get a feel for melee since I've just been running double/triple mage parties for most of my time. It's pretty fun. I actually feel tough now. I look badass all armored up and getting to actually climb monsters and bash them in the head is fun.

Garfunkel rains death now. Large monsters like Chimeras and Cyclopsii don't stand a chance and just writhe in fiery pain the whole fight basically. The hardest fight I've had in awhile was some kind of skeletal warrior thing. I've even stopped using level appropriate pawns. I'm dragging guys half my level around.

One of the lower level pawns I picked up is Chun Li by Iceman2353. She is a warrior, doesn't have a weapon, has only basic cloth armor, and doesn't have any active skills. I was curious what she would even do in the game world. Would she punch, or kick, or what? Turns out what she does is awesome. She picks up everything I don't feel like grabbing, stands around until an enemy is low on life then grabs them so they can't run away, or if she sees something larger, she just charges them shouting, "I'm going to scale that thing!"

Hilarious.

Also I killed some bandit with a red question indicating they might have been part of the quest I was on. I never got a chance to talk to her, so I'm not sure what was going on, but just be careful if you don't want to accidentally/on purpose murder a quest related person. It didn't seem to mess up the quest however.

What happened though was, I tossed an explosive barrel they had sitting on the walkway outside her chamber into her face. All of the other bandits ran into the little room intent on revenge. That's about when Garfunkel dropped some meteors on that room.

I love this game.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Funkmaster General posted:

They seem to go straight to your storage, but I'm not sure. I've dismissed pawns and found extra stuff in storage, but I've also had my pawn return with more than one item and as far as I can tell you can only choose one gift.

If more than one person uses your pawn before you visit the inn, you can get one thing from each of them.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

futureproof posted:

Witch's hut in Witchwood or inside the Hillfigure Knoll. Also, the blacksmiths will update their gear as you progress.

What was here? A new vendor or an idol? I'm at the hillfigure knoll right now (just got here) and wondering what I should be looking for.

Also for anyone looking for more vendors, I didn't see it mentioned, but there's a vendor up at the Great Wall that seemed to sell pretty high priced stuff.

What are you mages wearing as far as gear, and where did you get it? I haven't found anything that doesn't look ridiculous, yet, but I haven't looked too many places.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah my sorcerer pawn keeps getting 4-5 stars in combat/helpfulness but 2-3 stars in appearance because I haven't found anything interesting for him to wear yet so he's just wearing some blue robe with a goofy hat.

apocrypha posted:

I've finished both.

For "A Lost Cause": Go to Prayer Falls, which is near the Abbey, and follow the river as close as possible to the shore and head right towards that bridge northwest of Gran Soren. Break open any debris. I got my purse from a spot in the water where there were a bunch of invisible saurians, near the shore in a shallow part of the river about midway through, but apparently the spot is randomized.

For "Thanks Mislaid": Go to Fournival's mansion and check the counter directly across from the entrance and underneath a wardrobe/bookcase upstairs in his room. You should find two documents in total, one of those is it.

alternatively, rent out my pawn if you're on the PSN!!!

My hero. :allears: Sadly I'm on 360 but if I wasn't I'd hire/send away your pawn a couple of times just to give you some stuff. Been looking for those two for a while.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Are there any longbows around? I'm about level 23, and I'm stilling the one I bought at the Grand Soren shop.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Anyone know why you would buy one (or two..?) promissory notes from the quarry vendor? Presumably they're for Madeline from the description but no indication of what they would do.

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

What was here? A new vendor or an idol? I'm at the hillfigure knoll right now (just got here) and wondering what I should be looking for.

Also for anyone looking for more vendors, I didn't see it mentioned, but there's a vendor up at the Great Wall that seemed to sell pretty high priced stuff.

What are you mages wearing as far as gear, and where did you get it? I haven't found anything that doesn't look ridiculous, yet, but I haven't looked too many places.

Go inside the cave near the stone henge looking area, there will be a bronze idol inside (it's very small so it might be hard to spot.

The post-game ending is absolutely insane. You basically become God, and in order to start new game+ you have to kill yourself. I love this game.

futureproof fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 25, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know you can switch classes in this game, but how does it actually work? Are you still going to want to start over to try something new anyway because your stats will be gobshite, or what?

(edit: oh, there seems to be some discussion in immediately preceding pages. Whoops.)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 25, 2012

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What do you do with the Arisen's Bond anyway?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Ledneh posted:

I know you can switch classes in this game, but how does it actually work? Are you still going to want to start over to try something new anyway because your stats will be gobshite, or what?

From what other people are saying, you should be fine as long as you don't choose a fighter/Mage and then get up to the 40s before switching and pull a 180 into the opposite class.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Whelp. It's midnight, and two of my pawns are down to half max life, and I'm just standing on the road halfway to Shadow Keep hoping nothing spawns on me.

gently caress you, Ser Berne. If you'd showed me where you were going beforehand, I would have just pitched you off a cliff. Which I might still do.

GnomeChomskey is trooper, though. Fat little dude is holding his own. These two hired dudettes might need to go, though.

EDIT: "the goblins of this forest have a taste for human flesh." Thanks, Chomskey, that's real good to know.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 25, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Funkmaster General posted:

From what other people are saying, you should be fine as long as you don't choose a fighter/Mage and then get up to the 40s before switching and pull a 180 into the opposite class.

Yeah I just scrolled up some and noticed that. :downs:

It's kind of a killer for me though, because the tiny little corner of my brain that's an OCD minmaxer is going to bug me to restart to get the job done right. And the grass is always greener. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Ledneh posted:

There are hybrid classes that take advantage of mixed stats, but if you spent ten levels arching, ten levels as a Fighter and then decided you wanted to play a mage you'd pretty much be working up from nothing because neither of those classes build magic stats.

• Locked thread