Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I think the games could work if they didn't eat into time everyone should be bouncing jokes off of one another like before/during LMG. On the road or in a car, where there isn't a time limit, whatever; when you're on a countdown before CBB starts, I'm not so sure.

LesterGroans posted:

I tuned out and never want to hear it played again when in 543 Doug said 'The' titles count as 'T'. gently caress off with that bullshit.

Honestly I agree it's pedantic bullshit (especially when the opposite is true for build-a-title). Doug says he does it so there aren't as many movie titles to work with and therefore the options are limited and the game is shorter. So it kind of works in our favor if we want the game to end that much more quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't mind the "T" rule, but the basic concept of the game just doesn't allow for much discussion, variation or comedy. What's the best thing that could come out of that game? Someone pulls a last second "X" title Xala out of his rear end? Yay.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
A requirement for any Build a Title or ABCDeezNuts is that you must be able to name a lead actor or the director, without hesitation. You can't guess a title, you have to know a title.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

So does Sam Levine own 5 different SA accounts or do people actually care this much about the rules, let alone the games? I love me some LMG but I could care less if they only get one round in as long as the guests are hilarious.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ABC is just dumb because anyone who does it a bunch will get 5-6 movies banked for every letter, and then you end up having to roll through the alphabet 4 times before someone wins. At least build a title and LMG is random. I don't mind if it gets cut off if the banter is good, but the Bobcat ep was certainly NOT outstanding banter.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Eltoasto posted:

ABC is just dumb because anyone who does it a bunch will get 5-6 movies banked for every letter

This is Our Douglas we're talking about here, I think you're giving his :420:-addled memory too much credit. But yeah, after a while it'll suck, I just think for now it's funny he wins every time.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Today's episode is brought to you by the emoticon :3:.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Get Alina Foley her own podcast, stat. Funnier and more composed than Samm Levine, to boot.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Yeah, that was pretty adorable.

Samm: still the loving worst.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I did know until this episode that the official spelling was Samm "The Ma'am" Levine. I thought it was Samm "The Mamm" Levine. Li'l Wolverine!

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Thought her voice was familiar but didn't realize she played Ellie on the league till the end. Was really rooting for her (or anyone) to beat Samm at ACBD. What a dick.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

wait the last DLM has an 8 year old girl on it?

amazing

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Doug: Dave and Martin are in the Six Month Rule together. Is that a movie where you can talk about the premise in front of your nine year old?
Dave: Yeah, I think so. It's about a guy who doesn't like to be committed into a relationship. And he believes he can get over any relationship in six months. Right, isn't that basically the premise?
Chelsea: He likes to be like in the "fuckbutt zone".
Dave: Yeah. Yeah...
[audience reaction]
Chelsea: Oh God...

Edit: correct, but not changing it because this was way funnier to me.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 25, 2012

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

:eng101: fuckbud

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I am fourteen minutes in and this is already the best ep in so long

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

traveling midget posted:

wait the last DLM has an 8 year old girl on it?

amazing
She's 9 :colbert:
And she's awesome, the perfect counter to Samm Levine. You could practicly feel him seethe over the A in "A Bugs Life"

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
That little girl was almost unbearably :3:, Doug's stoner bemusement and glee to everything she said was great.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Holy poo poo. Amazing episode and the little girl needs to be on EVERY podcast ever. She is great :3:.

Edit: Chelsea trying to get in Grizzly Man while she was talking about ploar bears was hilarious!

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 26, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Chelsea Peretti and Alina Foley are my two favorite people in the world.

e: "I'm going to rescue polar bears when I grow up." OH MY GOD :3: :3: :3:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trujillo posted:

Thought her voice was familiar but didn't realize she played Ellie on the league till the end. Was really rooting for her (or anyone) to beat Samm at ACBD. What a dick.

Same, I love her to bits in The League so it was such a :3 moment when it turned out to be Ellie. Now I see why nobody really cared about all the swearing around her!

And yes, Chelsea Perretti is awesome.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
it's weirdly appropriate the best DLM guest is a 9 year old kid.

"And I'd like to thank you all for trying not to curse in front of me!" I know it's just an honest comment she said, but if you read into it too much it's almost a great subtle jab at everyone.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Samm Levine should only ever play against children because he's a big dumb baby. Maybe it's my dislike of both of them, but he was coming off as a proto-Graham Elwood in this ep, like he was trying too hard to be Elwoodian.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand

LesterGroans posted:

Samm Levine should only ever play against children because he's a big dumb baby. Maybe it's my dislike of both of them, but he was coming off as a proto-Graham Elwood in this ep, like he was trying too hard to be Elwoodian.
Alina Foley was already the most mature person on the panel, but he made her seem like a wise old woman.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I thought I had misjudged Samm's age and he was in his early 20s or something, but the motherfucker is 30 and he still behaves like a little kid over a game.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Freaks and Geeks was made 13 years ago. How could you expect him to be in his early 20s?

edit: Whoa. The girl from that show is 36. She was significantly older than everyone else.
ee: or not. Franco is older than I expected.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 27, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That's what I'm saying. I thought he was in his thirties, but he acts so immature that I thought he was super young on the show or something.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I think there's something going on in real life with the guy too because he was a lot nicer and funnier early on in the show.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Davincie posted:

I think there's something going on in real life with the guy too because he was a lot nicer and funnier early on in the show.

I don't know, he's pretty much always acted like an immature jackass.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
He's doing a character, he's naturally a competitive dude but he likes to play the heel when it comes to the games. Whenever they do in-studio eps (it's been a while) he's a pretty nice dude. He and Doug are really good friends, he's just playing it up for the crowd.

He's never like an actual jerk, just hyper competitive. And he was actually really hurt when PFT called him out on it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Blackula69 posted:

He's never like an actual jerk, just hyper competitive. And he was actually really hurt when PFT called him out on it.

Good, because being hyper competitive during a comedy podcast is being an actual jerk. Aukerman's good at being really competitive and still being nice, relaxed and entertaining.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
PFT can be a real dick sometimes too

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Sure, he can be a little anal and dickish, but at least he has some charm and actual, you know, comedic chops to fall back on.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
Basically every time Tompkins is on, Doug skips him when he's asking everyone if they've seen any movies lately, and Tompkins plays it up a little bit. I always get a kick out of that.

It's always so tough to tell with Levine. As much as a savant as he is with the games, his bad attitude is tough to get past sometimes.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Listening to the one with Dave Foley makes me want him to do either WTF or Nerdist again so we can get an update on his situation I remember from his WTF that he had a ton of issues with child support and his kids. He actually sounded kind of happy there.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Blackula69 posted:

And he was actually really hurt when PFT called him out on it.
What episode was this from?

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Not sure if PFT called him out in a free episode, but he definitely did on the last (premium) Tournament of Championships.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

LesterGroans posted:

Good, because being hyper competitive during a comedy podcast is being an actual jerk. Aukerman's good at being really competitive and still being nice, relaxed and entertaining.

Aukerman freaks out and gets super competitive as anyone else on the show.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Blackula69 posted:

PFT can be a real dick sometimes too

Like when? I don't know who I'd put above him except for maybe Adam Scott for best combination of likability and competence in the Leonard Maltin game.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I'm pretty sure that PFT admitted that he spent an unreasonable amount of time being upset that he lost in the ToC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jummy posted:

Aukerman freaks out and gets super competitive as anyone else on the show.

Yeah, nice and relaxed were bad words. More like 'likeable'. Like the episode he put his Tournament of Championships seat on the line: it was fun, entertaining and super-competitive in a good way.

Ultimately, the Len Maltin game doesn't matter, but it's fun when the guest strike a nice balance between caring about the game and using it as a platform to be funny and entertained. Samm Levine leans waaayy too far on the caring about the game side of thing.

• Locked thread