Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

jusion posted:

Is Google Docs an option?
No, unfortunately not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Sonic H posted:

My brain has given up on this one. Hopefully a genius here can help.

Basically I'm trying to create a dynamic, dynamic named range. That is to say, I'm trying to create a dynamic named range where the (single) column in which the range sits is itself dynamic. The usual method for dynamic ranges

code:
=OFFSET($D$6,0,MATCH(Cover!E6,Platform_Dropdown,0),COUNTA(D:D),1)
isn't working as the COUNTA(column:column) is the bit that needs to be dynamic. Counting which column to use is easy - that's the MATCH bit.

I'm essentially trying to create a set of linked dropdowns, second of which automatically changes based on the first one. Currently I've got a table of headings (the 1st dropdown - Platform_Dropdown, a named Range) and the options for the 2nd list as rows under each heading.

The killer is I can't use any VBA. :suicide:

I'm open to other suggestions on how to do this too - but no VBA (not my choice).

Thanks.

Edit: Problem solved although if there alternative ways of doing things, I'd be happy to hear them.

You can make the criteria of the count another offset.

code:
=OFFSET($D$6,0,MATCH(Cover!E6,Platform_Dropdown,0),COUNTA(OFFSET(D:D,0,"Column Criteria Here")),1)

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

Not really. The people who will be using it only have Excel.

You could use Access to enter the data, then have queries that pull out the data you need for each spreadsheet with the formulas. Then each time you add new data to the main table you run the queries and export as Excel for the recipients.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I am trying to compile a list of people in the company, and the dates of when their various certifications expire. When I enter the dates I want to have an entry made in the outlook calendar for a reminder to have them renew their certs. I have some code I found on that will add the date I list in column A and the person in column B. The problem is that whenever I run the macro, it duplicates the calendar entries. Here is the code that I am trying to use.

code:

Sub ScheduleAppts()
Dim ol As New Outlook.Application
Dim ns As Outlook.Namespace
Dim olFolder As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim appt As Outlook.AppointmentItem
Dim R As Integer
Dim X As Integer

R = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row

Set ns = ol.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set olFolder = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderCalendar)

For X = 1 To R
Set appt = olFolder.Items.Add
With appt
.Start = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(X, 1).Value
.Location = Sheets("Sheet1").Cells(X, 2).Value
.Save
End With
Next X

Set ol = Nothing
Set ns = Nothing
Set appt = Nothing
End Sub
Are there few lines I can throw in to make it check for an entry of the same name on the same date before adding it to my calendar, or do I need a whole new code? Thanks

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 18, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
Excel is starting to make me really angry.

My wife has a spreadsheet she is using to track shelf-life testing she is performing on some samples. She marks the name & the date they started testing. The samples are tested monthly for a year.

To complicate things, they want to pull samples every Monday morning - so if a sample went into testing May 1, it would be pulled the week of May 28 - June 1.

All I want to do with Excel is to display the samples that should be tested this week:

code:
Week of May 14 - May 18:

Sample 1 | Added Apr 16, 2012
Sample 5 | Added Dec 12 2011
Sample poo | Added May 20, 2011
How the heck do I even begin to think about this in Excel?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Kim Jong III posted:

stuff...

In your example, May 28th starts a 7 day period where the majority of that week is in May. You need to find out if the company counted that week as May because the majority of it was in May or just because the first of the week was May.

So, would July 30th - August 5th be counted as the last week of July or first week of August?

Assuming it would be counted as the last week of July, the following formula would work to flag samples to be pulled this week...

code:
=IF(AND([@Start]<TODAY()-WEEKDAY(TODAY())+2,MONTH([@Start])=MONTH(TODAY()-WEEKDAY(TODAY())+2),YEAR([@Start])=YEAR(TODAY()-WEEKDAY(TODAY())+2)),"Y","")
Today that would yield the following results
code:
Sample Name | Start      | Active this week?
ABC         |  5/12/2011 | 
DEF         |   5/5/2012 | Y
AEC         |  5/10/2012 | Y
DBF         |  5/15/2012 |
ADF         |  5/20/2012 |

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Excel -> Outlook

I'm sure there's a way to check for an existing meeting, but I don't deal with Outlook much. Instead here's a way to prevent duplicating meetings within Excel using a second sheet.

code:
Sub ScheduleAppts()
	Dim R As Integer
	Dim RNG as range	
	Dim X As Integer
	Dim vSTART as date
	Dim vLOCATION as string
	dim vNEW as worksheet
	dim vOLD as worksheet

set vNEW = thisworkbook.sheets("Sheet1")
	set vOLD = thisworkbook.sheets("Sheet2")

R = vNEW.Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row

For X = 1 To R
		vSTART = vNEW.cells(X, 1).value
		vLOCATION = vNEW.cells(X, 2).value

if application.worksheetfunction.countifs(vOLD.range("A:A"),vSTART,vOLD.range("B:B"),vLOCATION)=0 then
			With appt
				.Start = vSTART
				.Location = vLOCATION
				set rng = vOLD.range("A65535").end(xlup).offset(1,0)
				rng.value = vSTART
				rng.offset(0,1).value = vLOCATION
				.Save
			End With
		end if
	Next X

set rng = nothing
	set vOLD = nothing
	set vNEW = nothing
	Set ol = Nothing
	Set ns = Nothing
	Set appt = Nothing
End Sub

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I've got a dumb request from a client that I cant solve.

He wants to track a loan repayment, where the repayment amount can vary, as well as the date he pays. Each time a payment is made, he wants to add on the interest for the days since the previous payment.

He wants to know exactly how much is left on the loan at any given time. He intends to pay semi-regularly with some large lump payments but also some periods where he pays nothing.

I cant figure out how to keep a running total of the balance outstanding. I need to add x days of interest to the balance, and subtract the principal paid each time a payment is made. He intends to update the sheet himself with the date paid and the amount.

I've not worked with finance stuff in Excel, and this request sounds pretty stupid, but if someone could take a quick look and where I'm at so far I'd appreciate it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58703/runninginterest.xlsx

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz

Swink posted:

I've got a dumb request from a client that I cant solve.

He wants to track a loan repayment, where the repayment amount can vary, as well as the date he pays. Each time a payment is made, he wants to add on the interest for the days since the previous payment.

He wants to know exactly how much is left on the loan at any given time. He intends to pay semi-regularly with some large lump payments but also some periods where he pays nothing.

I cant figure out how to keep a running total of the balance outstanding. I need to add x days of interest to the balance, and subtract the principal paid each time a payment is made. He intends to update the sheet himself with the date paid and the amount.

I've not worked with finance stuff in Excel, and this request sounds pretty stupid, but if someone could take a quick look and where I'm at so far I'd appreciate it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58703/runninginterest.xlsx

At a glance, in F6 you want "=F5 - J6" and then fill it down that column. I think you have all the component parts correct.

Do you want the top-left to display the balance as of the current date?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah but the top left is unimportant.

Thanks - I guess I'd been staring at it too long and I'd lost all my sense.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Old James posted:

I'm sure there's a way to check for an existing meeting, but I don't deal with Outlook much. Instead here's a way to prevent duplicating meetings within Excel using a second sheet.

code:

GREAT STUFF

Thank you so much, although I am an idiot when it comes to VBA, so how am I supposed to use the sheets now?

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 23, 2012

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Thank you so much, although I am an idiot when it comes to VBA, so how am I supposed to use the sheets now?

Sheet1 is the existing list of reminders to create. Sheet2 are reminders already created. When the macro runs it check Sheet2 to see if you had previously created the reminder, if the meeting info is on Sheet2 it doesn't create a new reminder.

So unless this would only prevent duplicates going forward (unless you took the time to figure out what meetings were already scheduled) and if the user deletes the reminder this will not recreate that meeting.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I put the code in it's own module and filled in column "A1" with a date/time and "B1" with a name on sheet1. When I go tools -> macro-> run I get and error that says

code:
Run-time error '438':
Object doesn't support this property or method
I run debug and it highlights this line
code:
 If Application.WorksheetFunction.countifs(vOLD.Range("A:A"), vSTART, vOLD.Range("B:B"), vLOCATION) = 0 Then

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

I put the code in it's own module and filled in column "A1" with a date/time and "B1" with a name on sheet1. When I go tools -> macro-> run I get and error that says

code:
Run-time error '438':
Object doesn't support this property or method
I run debug and it highlights this line
code:
 If Application.WorksheetFunction.countifs(vOLD.Range("A:A"), vSTART, vOLD.Range("B:B"), vLOCATION) = 0 Then

Try changing
code:
Dim vSTART as Date
to

code:
Dim vSTART as String

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I have it in there now as
code:
Sub ScheduleAppts()
    Dim R As Integer
    Dim RNG As Range
    Dim X As Integer
    Dim vSTART As String
    Dim vLOCATION As String
    Dim vNEW As Worksheet
    Dim vOLD As Worksheet

Set vNEW = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")
    Set vOLD = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet2")

R = vNEW.Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row

For X = 1 To R
        vSTART = vNEW.Cells(X, 1).Value
        vLOCATION = vNEW.Cells(X, 2).Value

With appt
                .Start = vSTART
                .Location = vLOCATION
                Set RNG = vOLD.Range("A65535").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)
                RNG.Value = vSTART
                RNG.Offset(0, 1).Value = vLOCATION
                .Save
            End With
        End If
    Next X

Set RNG = Nothing
    Set vOLD = Nothing
    Set vNEW = Nothing
    Set ol = Nothing
    Set ns = Nothing
    Set appt = Nothing
End Sub
But I seem to be getting the same error, and it highlights the same line as before

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

I have it in there now as

But I seem to be getting the same error, and it highlights the same line as before

It's basically complaining with the format of the countifs() when it is using a date as a criteria. We may need to include it within "". Try

code:
        If Application.WorksheetFunction.countifs(vOLD.Range("A:A"), """" & vSTART & """", vOLD.Range("B:B"), vLOCATION) = 0 Then
EDIT: Oh, are you running this macro within Outlook? I thought it was running in Excel and then calling Outlook. the line it is erroring on is Excel specific since it is calling an Excel function.

Old James fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 24, 2012

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Still has the same error and highlights that line. Is there an something in I have to reference manually besides the Outlook library?

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz
Are you using 2007? Countifs is only available in 2007 onwards

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
That's the problem, I have 2003. Sorry I should have stated I have an antique version.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is more of a 'wouldn't it be nice' kind of thing. I've got a lady I'm helping out who is doing pay per click campaigns. I've pulled a bunch of stuff out of Google Keywords via API into a database, and then given her a spreadsheet. There's a unique ID, a company name, and a keyword. These may be repeated as there could be multiple keywords per uniqueid/keyword. What she does is decide which keyword is 'best' by putting an 'x' into a column. So what she ends up with is a sheet that looks like:
code:
ID  |  Name     | Keyword      | Selected |
10  | Joe's Art | Joe's Art    | NULL     |
10  | Joe's Art | Art New York | X        |
12  | AA SexToyz| AA SexToyz   | NULL     |
12  | AA SexToyz| SexToyz NY   | X        |
12  | AA SexToyz| Butt Plugs   | NULL     |
The problem arises is that she's sending me back the sheets to 'double check' that:
a: There is at least one 'x' per uniqueID
b: There is not more than one 'x' per uniqueID
c: A list of all 'selected' rows, with the NULL selected rows removed

This is incredibly easy for me in my SQL database, which I accomplish like so:
code:
Case a:
SELECT * FROM Keywords_temp WHERE Selected IS NULL AND UniqueID NOT IN
(SELECT UniqueID FROM Keywords_temp where Selected='x')

Case b:
SELECT UniqueID from Keywords_temp WHERE Selected='x' 
GROUP BY UniqueID Having COUNT(*)>1

Case c:
SELECT * FROM Keywords_temp WHERE Selected='x' AND
UniqueID NOT IN
(SELECT UniqueID from Keywords_temp WHERE Selected='x' 
 GROUP BY UniqueID 
 HAVING COUNT(*)>1)
The problem being, all this data is in the sheet I sent her, but I'm trying to think of an easy way that she can formula up the same results without having to come back to me. The initial dataset was provided as part of a contract, but all this post hoc support was not. The sheet has about 50,000 rows. Does anyone know of an Excel solution that would let me do what I'm doing in SQL above? You don't have to make a full blown example, I'm pretty experienced in these things.

EDIT-Also, she can't connect to my DB directly via ODBC or anything like that. She's using Excel 2010.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I would make a default pivot table off of the data (select the columns with your data, Insert, Pivot Table, OK)

Put the ID (or Name if it's also unique) as your Row Label
Put Selected as your Column Label
Put Selected as your values
Sort the column under X either descending - anything with more than 1 is at the top, anything with 0 is at the bottom.

Since we selected all of the columns in the first step when she wants to refresh this all she needs to do is paste the data on top of what is there currently and then go to the pivot table, right click on it, and select refresh.

You could also do something with countifs (2007 or 2010) or an array formula (2003), but it will end up with more complicated steps for her to update it each time meaning it's easier for her to make a mistake and need your support again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Thanks, I can see how that would work. I'd been stuck in the 2003 world so long the only thing I could think of would have been tonnes of countifs and named ranges and so on, and just didn't want to go down that road.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
I'll preface this with the fact that I dont know the first thing about databases and SQL, or if this will help you at all, but I bookmarked this post because it seemed useful at the time - http://chandoo.org/wp/2012/04/02/using-excel-as-your-database/

From what I can tell its a very basic instruction on setting up your sheet to accept SQL statements (via VBA).

SvK
Feb 20, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Thanks, I can see how that would work. I'd been stuck in the 2003 world so long the only thing I could think of would have been tonnes of countifs and named ranges and so on, and just didn't want to go down that road.

How automated do you want the double check to be? Shouldn't be to hard to write a VBA function that can do this.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This person is pretty... not smart with Excel (though great at online marketing) so I didn't want to complexify things with allow scripts to run/popups etc. I like the elegance of the pivot as well, it worked out fine.

SvK
Feb 20, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

This person is pretty... not smart with Excel (though great at online marketing) so I didn't want to complexify things with allow scripts to run/popups etc. I like the elegance of the pivot as well, it worked out fine.

Good thing you replied quickly I was like 3/4's the way done with a macro to do it. With dynamic arrays and countif's =).

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
I have a question regarding Google Spreadsheet. Not sure if there's a thread for that, but if there is, I haven't seen it.

I'm trying to create a faux hyperlink that takes you to another sheet. For instance, I have a main sheet with a list of names. If I click the cell with the name "Bill" in the cell, I wanna be taken to the sheet titled "Bill"

Is this possible in Excel? I'd rather do it in Google docs, but I'd be willing to do it in Excel if Google Docs isn't an option.

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 5, 2012

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

ZanderZ posted:

I have a question regarding Google Spreadsheet. Not sure if there's a thread for that, but if there is, I haven't seen it.

I'm trying to create a faux hyperlink that takes you to another sheet. For instance, I have a main sheet with a list of names. If I click the cell with the name "Bill" in the cell, I wanna be taken to the sheet titled "Bill"

Is this possible in Excel? I'd rather do it in Google docs, but I'd be willing to do it in Excel if Google Docs isn't an option.

In Excel when you create a hyperlink you can have it take you to a cell on another spreadsheet. Not sure about Googledocs.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Old James posted:

In Excel when you create a hyperlink you can have it take you to a cell on another spreadsheet. Not sure about Googledocs.

Ok, I'm using Excel then.

So I've got the following in Sheet "Master" Cell B2 which displays foobar.

=CONCATENATE('Jon'!B2&'Jon'!C2)

Sheet "Jon" cell B2 has "foo" written in it, and cell C2 has "bar" Is there any way to have it do a line break, so I get...

foo
bar

or better yet, double spaced...

foo

bar

instead of foobar?

\/ Thanks! Turns out it's CHAR(13) for Excel Mac 2011

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 6, 2012

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

When typeing in a cell alt+enter puts a line break in the text or you can use char(10) so either of the two below would work

code:
=CONCATENATE('Jon'!B2&"
"&'Jon'!C2)
code:
='Jon'!B2&CHAR(10)&'Jon'!C2
And you can do multiples to get the double space.

EDIT: When using the CONCATENATE formula you separate the values with commas. Using the ampersand symbol is an alternate way of combining strings without using the CONCATENATE formula so it is redundant in your examples.

Old James fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 6, 2012

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
Ok, so this concatenate formula is getting pretty long. How can I use something that's better for scripting than the formula bar? I wanna be able to space all this poo poo out like an actual script as opposed to a formula.

I wanna be able to have something like...

=CONCATENATE
(
'Joe'
!B2
&CHAR(13)
&CHAR(13)
&

'Joe'
!C2
&CHAR(13)
&CHAR(13)
&

'Joe'
!D2
&CHAR(13)
&CHAR(13)
&

'Joe'
!E2
&CHAR(13)
&CHAR(13)
&CHAR(13)
&

'Joe'
!F2
&CHAR(13)
&CHAR(13)
)

As opposed to one big line of text. Is this possible? This is my first time doing anything in excel that isn't simple algebra. Right now, with the one line formula bar, it takes longer to copy and paste with a trackpad than it does to just type it out.

ZanderZ fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 6, 2012

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Check out my edit above, you were misusing the '&' within CONCATENATE. Your code should look like this.

code:
=CONCATENATE('Joe'!B2,CHAR(13),CHAR(13),'Joe'!C2,CHAR(13),CHAR(13),'Joe'!D2,CHAR(13),CHAR(13),'Joe'!E2,CHAR(13),CHAR(13),CHAR(13),'Joe'!F2,CHAR(13),CHAR(13))
Though I am not sure why you want those last two char(13)'s since there is no text after them.

Also, if you are dealing with a long formula you can expand the size of the formula bar by dragging the bottom edge down.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

Old James posted:

I am not sure why you want those last two char(13)'s since there is no text after them.

Also, if you are dealing with a long formula you can expand the size of the formula bar by dragging the bottom edge down.

I figured out the extra char(13)'s and removed them from the formula. I know about expanding the formula bar by dragging the bottom edge down.

What I'm referring to is how difficult it is to make multiple edits to a big, long, line of text. Right now, I'm writing my formulas in Text Wrangler so I can go back and quickly edit, line by line. Then I have to go back, remove all the spaces and line breaks and coppy/paste it into the formula bar.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Does anybody have any experience with fixing compatibility issues? I don't know how to program but I am working on an Excel spreadsheet that will open .pdf files on my company's intranet and take them to a specific page. I have a code that works on most of the firm's computers (Excel 2003 SP3 with Windows XP.

code:

Sub AppendixCSnowData()
Dim IE As Object, strFile As String, iPageNum As Long
strFile = "P:\Structural - Misc\NBCC 2005\National Building Code of Canada 2005 Volume 2.pdf"
iPageNum = 233
Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
IE.Navigate strFile & "#Page=" & iPageNum
IE.Visible = True
End Sub

This works, however on other's computers running either new versions of Excel or the same one but with Windows 7, this code does not work and gives an error on the "IE.Navigate strFile & "#Page=" & iPageNum" portion. I have been unable to find anything online that will work on new versions of Excel. Opening .pdf files works, however going to a noted page does not on the other OS set-ups.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wilhelm posted:

Does anybody have any experience with fixing compatibility issues? I don't know how to program but I am working on an Excel spreadsheet that will open .pdf files on my company's intranet and take them to a specific page. I have a code that works on most of the firm's computers (Excel 2003 SP3 with Windows XP.

code:

Sub AppendixCSnowData()
Dim IE As Object, strFile As String, iPageNum As Long
strFile = "P:\Structural - Misc\NBCC 2005\National Building Code of Canada 2005 Volume 2.pdf"
iPageNum = 233
Set IE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
IE.Navigate strFile & "#Page=" & iPageNum
IE.Visible = True
End Sub

This works, however on other's computers running either new versions of Excel or the same one but with Windows 7, this code does not work and gives an error on the "IE.Navigate strFile & "#Page=" & iPageNum" portion. I have been unable to find anything online that will work on new versions of Excel. Opening .pdf files works, however going to a noted page does not on the other OS set-ups.

When you open the pdf maually within IE on those other machines and go to a page is the URL different? Perhaps the #page= is no longer the correct syntax in later versions. Just a guess.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was asked about helping someone parse a string of text to pull out some numbers for calculations. The complication here, is that the source strings are typed in by hand by any shmuck, so the number (distance) to pull out may be in "0.12mi", "2.34 mi", "20,3km", or "103,47 km".. Or maybe even with a couple spaces instead of just one. I've never hosed with mixed-up commas and periods being used for decimals, and am wondering if there's anything in Excel which can handle mixed up decimals?

I'm thinking it's probably most prudent to nip it in the bud by replacing all commas ahead of time?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 21, 2012

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

coyo7e posted:

I was asked about helping someone parse a string of text to pull out some numbers for calculations. The complication here, is that the source strings are typed in by hand by any shmuck, so the number (distance) to pull out may be in "0.12mi", "2.34 mi", "20,3km", or "103,47 km".. Or maybe even with a couple spaces instead of just one. I've never hosed with mixed-up commas and periods being used for decimals, and am wondering if there's anything in Excel which can handle mixed up decimals?

I'm thinking it's probably most prudent to nip it in the bud by replacing all commas ahead of time?

That's how I'd approach it as well, try and standardize the comma/period formatting first. I'd eyeball to make sure there weren't any weird big number switcheroos though, like 100,000.00 or 100.000,00, before running a find and replace.

DukAmok fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 21, 2012

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

DukAmok posted:

That's how I'd approach it as well, try and standardize the comma/period formatting first. I'd eyeball to make sure there weren't any weird big number switcheroos though, like 100,000.00 or 100.000,00, before running a find and replace.

I'm the one he's referring to. This is the task that I've been given and I'm having a TON of trouble with it. Here's what the data looks like:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am5EbI_l2pbcdFZfdFlGNUIxZ01qNDNBak5wTmlTQmc&pli=1#gid=0

The items in purple is what I'm trying to parse out of each individual message. I need the mileage (with kilometers normalized to miles), the pace (also normalized to miles) and any #tag that isn't #tag1. The tricky part is that all of these messages are different, some of them have commas as decimals, and some have no space between the distance and mi/km. It's kind of a nightmare.

This is the excel formula that I have to pull the first number out, but it only works on some of them. Any ideas?

code:
=REPLACE(LEFT(B4,LOOKUP(10,MID(B4,ROW(INDIRECT("1:30")),1)+0,ROW(INDIRECT("1:30")))),1,MIN(FIND(0,SUBSTITUTE(B4&0,{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},0)))-1,"")+0

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

mattdev posted:

I'm the one he's referring to. This is the task that I've been given and I'm having a TON of trouble with it. Here's what the data looks like:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Am5EbI_l2pbcdFZfdFlGNUIxZ01qNDNBak5wTmlTQmc&pli=1#gid=0

The items in purple is what I'm trying to parse out of each individual message. I need the mileage (with kilometers normalized to miles), the pace (also normalized to miles) and any #tag that isn't #tag1. The tricky part is that all of these messages are different, some of them have commas as decimals, and some have no space between the distance and mi/km. It's kind of a nightmare.

This is the excel formula that I have to pull the first number out, but it only works on some of them. Any ideas?

Couple questions: does distance always come before rate? Does rate always have a slash after it? Is there always only one tag aside from tag1? I can see a simple VBA script to knock most of this out, PM me if you want to take it offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Yep, distance always comes before rate but rate doesn't always have a /. Most of the time it does, but sometimes it doesn't. Rate also sometimes doesn't exist, but that's rare.

I will shoot you a PM.