Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Does anyone have tips for doubling/tripling brownie recipes?

I have heard that it's dangerous to double recipes in baking because you are messing with ratios, but I want to make this recipe for around forty people.
http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/best-cocoa-brownies/
I have a 9x9 pan, and a jellyroll sheet pan. Should I just do a few batches using the 9x9, or could I up the recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Does anyone have tips for doubling/tripling brownie recipes?

I have heard that it's dangerous to double recipes in baking because you are messing with ratios, but I want to make this recipe for around forty people.
http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/01/best-cocoa-brownies/
I have a 9x9 pan, and a jellyroll sheet pan. Should I just do a few batches using the 9x9, or could I up the recipe?

I would make batches. A more massive pan of brownie batter is going to risk having an underbaked middle and overbaked outside.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 23, 2012

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Steve Yun posted:

I would make batches. A more massive pan of brownie batter is going to risk having an underbaked middle and overbaked outside.

Perfect. Thank you!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Steve Yun posted:

Prosciutto waffle with mustard seeds, gruyere and chives and a little syrup
Hoooooly poo poo. I can't tell if you're joking or not, and I don't care because I would eat the hell out of this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's something I had at a pretty awesome waffle joint

http://failsweetly.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/bruxies-gourmet-waffles/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 24, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I ended up with a big bag of frozen lai wong bao and I'm in a bit of a condundrum over how to enjoy them. They're too sweet to go along with most meals, but too heavy to be a desert. I've only ever had them as a street snack, but I'd like to do something else - I just don't know what.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I wish I could donate to this subforum and this one only..

I'm making some stuffed chicken breast with some cheese, jalapenos and bell peppers because they were left over and sounded good. I wrapped it in bacon. What happens to it if I turn up or down the temp vs time?

I'm making this harder than I want... Baking chicken wrapped bacon, how does temp affect the cooking time?

(can you tell I had to use wine in the sauce)

I also threw togther a mustard cream garlic worchester white wine sauce just for fun, doesn't taste bad but what would you have done?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm making some stuffed chicken breast with some cheese, jalapenos and bell peppers because they were left over and sounded good. I wrapped it in bacon. What happens to it if I turn up or down the temp vs time?

Increasing temp generally decreases cooking time as one would expect, this comes with the trade off of differing temperature gradient from inside to out. That is to say, finishing at the same internal temperature, a thing cooked low and slow will be more even in temperature from edge to center when compared to a thing cooked hot and fast. The caveat is that you can overcook (dry and tough) to downright burn the outside if you go too hot too fast and the opposite, you can have no caramelization, crust, or otherwise browning on the outside of the meat. The ideal preparation has deep caramelization while having maximum volume of ideal temperature food. This is why people love sous vide cooking (a tangent), because you have complete control over both the internal and external doneness.

Specifically with bacon wrapped chicken. The problem with bacon wrapping things is inevitably the bacon never gets crispy. Crispiness comes with the absence of water. Were the surface of the chicken, which is in direct contact with the bacon, be devoid of water it would overcooked, hence the bacon is either rubbery or the chicken is dry. I never understood bacon wrapping chicken, especially because chicken comes with its own wonderful salty crispy coating, its skin. Skin can be crisped without drying the meat because there is a layer of fat between it and the flesh.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I agree, so what I did is put the bacon in the pyrex and let it cook for a bit before hand at 375 ish, then wrapped it in the chicken and tried to eye to so it all finished early. The chicken is cooked, I'm forced to either convect or broil to finish anyway. drat!

Charleston Jew
Jul 31, 2005

oh my sloth!
If I threw a whole, unpeeled mango in the freezer, could I have a yummy frozen snack later on? I'm not trying to stock up/preserve mangoes, just curious if this would work. Frozen grapes are awesome, does anyone else know of other fruits that are good frozen (not prepackaged, just something you stick in the freezer yourself)?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Charleston Jew posted:

If I threw a whole, unpeeled mango in the freezer, could I have a yummy frozen snack later on? I'm not trying to stock up/preserve mangoes, just curious if this would work. Frozen grapes are awesome, does anyone else know of other fruits that are good frozen (not prepackaged, just something you stick in the freezer yourself)?

kiwi

in fact, you reminded me that I still need to try this:
http://www.ohdesserts.net/recipes-chocolate-kiwi-popsicles.php

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I imagine a whole frozen mango would be difficult to eat. Puree that business, add some juice and make popsicles.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

CzarChasm posted:

Yellow onions are a general purpose onion, and fit into most recipes

White onions are milder and can be served raw or cooked, generally they benefit from a short cooking time (Stir Fry, Fajitas)

Red Onions are typically served raw and seem to have more bite to them. Not often used in hot applications.

Vidalia onions are 'sweet', and have a very mild flavor. Makes good onion rings.

EDIT: What a surprise. The internet doesn't agree on the general strengths of onions. You can use onions interchangeably for the most part, but red onions are typically used raw and to add color to a dish.

I've been cooking for more than a decade and I can say I don't think I've ever used a white onion once in my life.

Honestly I feel like I "know" when I would use yellow vs red, but it's hard to put into words. If it's going to be an indistinguishable part of something else (like a sauce or a stew or such) I'd use yellow. Salsas and burgers and potato salad, I'd use red if I had it.

Also since we're doing onion chat, you can soak onions in hot or cold water for a little bit, drain them, and that reduces some of the bite. This is especially good for typically raw preparations.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Charleston Jew posted:

If you really want to do this, you can get a big rear end bag of mango chunks in the freezer section that will be a lot easier to DEAL WITH. Otherwise I'd probably suggest peeling and cubing first, unless you really would like to suck on a giant frozen boob.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

frozen melons, mangoes, pineapple are great with a squirt of fresh lime juice and topped with fresh ground chile powder and a bit of salt.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Turkeybone posted:

...unless you really would like to suck on a giant frozen boob.

Excellent metaphor,
not sure if that would dis- or encourage a goon

:allears:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Even better, grind fresh chiles (bird chiles are good) and salt together in a mortar and pestle. Also great with guava and nectarines that are not quite ripe.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I've got some frozen chicken soup that I made a few months ago... I don't know exactly how old it is. Is there a certain point that it goes bad, or should I defrost and give it the sniff test?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've got some frozen chicken soup that I made a few months ago... I don't know exactly how old it is. Is there a certain point that it goes bad, or should I defrost and give it the sniff test?

If it was sealed well and no chicken was sticking up above the broth or anything, it should be fine. Otherwise you might get some freezer burn. I have a couple of containers of spicy chicken soup in the freezer that have been there since last September, and a week or two ago I popped one in the microwave and it was just as good as when I made it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Does anyone know where I can buy mustard greens in the UK?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Farmer's market? Produce section at the grocery store? Growing wild in the fields? It's a pretty common thing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Farmer's market? Produce section at the grocery store? Growing wild in the fields? It's a pretty common thing.

You'd think so, but I have been entirely unable to find any anywhere. Supermarkets don't sell it, I couldn't find any at the greengrocer and the Thai market down the road doesn't stock it. I can't even find it online, except in seed form. Which I obviously don't have time for.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I can get it fresh year-round in the Pakistani supermarket at the nearby subway station. Just wander into a reputable Asian greengrocers and ask them if they have any sarson. Also gives you +150 White Guy Points for knowing the indigenous names of immigrant foodstuffs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is Kai Choy the same thing?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Are there any grill baskets that can actually hold vegetables?
The gaps on most are just as wide as the grill which makes them basically useless for this.

Should I settle for a grill topper?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It....could be? Man, I need to go have a look tomorrow, it's kinda hard to be sure. I'll take a pic of it for you, if you like.

e: chop your veggies beeeg. Zucchini sliced in half lengthwise, that kind of size. Lets you get a good sear on the outside before they turn into burn rubber.

e2: of course they were out when I checked in today :saddowns:

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 25, 2012

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Are there any grill baskets that can actually hold vegetables?
The gaps on most are just as wide as the grill which makes them basically useless for this.

Should I settle for a grill topper?

I have this thing. It works good.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Am I right in thinking this is proper Sichuanese chili bean paste? I've only got stuff made with...soy beans...in my fridge and I found this and promptly bought it, since I know the ingredient in question is transliterated as dou ban jiang, and Pixian is a city in Sichuan. Did I err or did I hit the jackpot?

Ingredients are chilies, broad beans, salt, and flour.

Correct ingredients, i'd say it's the right one for Ma Po Dofu.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Is Kai Choy the same thing?

Close enough, same family, it's one one in Thai and Chinese pickled mustard greens, might even be the same thing depending on where in the world the dish you're making comes from

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

mich posted:

Even better, grind fresh chiles (bird chiles are good) and salt together in a mortar and pestle. Also great with guava and nectarines that are not quite ripe.

I'm too lazy, I buy the little bag, done fresh that day from next to the cash register at the local viet market. Melons are great with it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've bought some Sichuan peppercorns but I've never cooked with them before. I know roughly what they're like from various threads here but does anyone have a fairly simple/easy to prepare recipe that makes use of them so they're noticable?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Salt and pepper squid! Toast some Sichaun pepper corns with white pepper, and grind them. Make a thin batter, fry the squid just enough to slightly color the batter, and immediately season with the pepper mixture and salt.

e: You could also do it with shrimp I guess, but I like squid better.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 25, 2012

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Anything I can do with a small handful of unripe cherry tomatoes? A windy day knocked over our porch tomato plants and knocked off a few green tomatoes. I don't want to fry them. Would they work as a quick pickle, maybe?

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Pickled green tomatoes are loving fantastic, so I say you should try it.

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top
I have a Cuisinart food processor (9 cup size?) and the chopping blade works fine. However, I was just trying to grate a huge amount of cheese and any time I put pressure on the cheese when using the grating blade, it would come to a stop. Anything I can replace/repair/tighten easily on this thing to make it work?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

If I order saba sashimi at your run-of-the-mill sushi restaurant, how is it served? Is it just the raw fish? Cured in vinegar? Just rinsed in vinegar? I NEED to know.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The one on the right looks like two bigass sheets folded up - maybe 2 square feet each? Its somewhat pliable. The one on the left is the closest approximation to arame the store had, but its way lighter than the arame I've used before. So what are these and what can I do with them?

Edit: also this one.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 26, 2012

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The dark one looks like wakame to me, but I'm no expert.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I have some pork ribs to make tomorrow, in the oven. I don't like BBQ sauce. I have all the spices and also liquid smoke. What should I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

IfIWereARichMan posted:

The one on the right looks like two bigass sheets folded up - maybe 2 square feet each? Its somewhat pliable. The one on the left is the closest approximation to arame the store had, but its way lighter than the arame I've used before. So what are these and what can I do with them?

Edit: also this one.

The first one is "yama dashi konbu" and the second is wakame.