Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well yeah but I'm specifically talking about the Sandisk Extreme 95MB/s and they specify the speed like that without hiding behind some silly 666x or Class XX rating. So if the 16 and the 32 are both specified at 95MB/s, why would the 16 be appreciably faster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
To backup HPL, the X100 pokes around on the card every startup and the smaller capacity of the card, the faster this operation is. I use 16 GB 45M/s Sandisks that are carryovers from my Rebel but if I were buying new I'd get faster 8's.

With these smaller cameras it's hard to fill cards between battery swaps anyways, so if I've got a camera (always), I've got a bag.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I looked at some online reviews and the benchmarks did show that 16GB cards had the edge on 32GB cards of the same speed rating. The Kingston Ultimatexx UHS-1 and Sandisk 95MB/s cards are meant to be the best. Unfortunately I ended up with a fairly slow no name brand (Silicone Power) because I just bought whatever class 10 16GB they had in stock at my local shop but I think I'll end up replacing it soon anyway.

I light fires
May 12, 2001
Here is a nex 5n question.

I'm borrowing one from a friend and using an adapted lens so I'm manually focusing and adjusting shutter speed with the wheel on the back but is there a meter tucked away in one of the menus or do you just eyeball it.

Eyeball is working pretty good because the screen shows exactly what you get when it snaps the the photo but if I wanted some kind of confirmation is there something that exists?

Also P mode + aperture ring on the sweet konica lens = AV mode
which I thought was pretty cool as that is my preferred method of shooting anyway.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I light fires posted:

I'm borrowing one from a friend and using an adapted lens so I'm manually focusing and adjusting shutter speed with the wheel on the back but is there a meter tucked away in one of the menus or do you just eyeball it.

Eyeball is working pretty good because the screen shows exactly what you get when it snaps the the photo but if I wanted some kind of confirmation is there something that exists?

Also P mode + aperture ring on the sweet konica lens = AV mode
which I thought was pretty cool as that is my preferred method of shooting anyway.

It should meter properly regardless of what's on the camera. There are metering options in the "brightness and color" menu, but that's for metering pattern. It sounds like you're not doing something right. Try putting it in Aperture mode and see if it starts metering correctly. Also make sure you have the ISO set to an appropriate level or set it to "auto ISO".

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I light fires posted:

Yeah my uncle has one and I think it had some kind of contrast detection thingy where it shows yellow dots when it's in focus.

No idea how it's called though.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

spankmeister posted:

Yeah my uncle has one and I think it had some kind of contrast detection thingy where it shows yellow dots when it's in focus.

If he's asking about a manual focus confirmation, it's called focus peaking.

It sounds like he's asking about metering though.

I light fires
May 12, 2001

HPL posted:

It should meter properly regardless of what's on the camera. There are metering options in the "brightness and color" menu, but that's for metering pattern. It sounds like you're not doing something right. Try putting it in Aperture mode and see if it starts metering correctly. Also make sure you have the ISO set to an appropriate level or set it to "auto ISO".

In A mode it exposes fine, the shutter speed is set automatically there is nothing to worry about. I guess this is more of a Manual mode problem which I suppose I can avoid or bracket a half step in either direction if I'm worried about it.

Found it.

Its not a little scale like I was expecting. In Manual mode there is a little box at the bottom with MM and a + or - with some numbers next to it depending on my settings that number changes and changed appropriately they reflect correct exposure. Sorry for being dumb

I light fires fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 23, 2012

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

spankmeister posted:

Focus Peaking?

I eyeball on my [terrible] VG10, since peaking doesn't work as well as other NEX models

Left the page open :downs:

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 24, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I light fires posted:

In A mode it exposes fine, the shutter speed is set automatically there is nothing to worry about. I guess this is more of a Manual mode problem which I suppose I can avoid or bracket a half step in either direction if I'm worried about it.

Found it.

Its not a little scale like I was expecting. In Manual mode there is a little box at the bottom with MM and a + or - with some numbers next to it depending on my settings that number changes and changed appropriately they reflect correct exposure. Sorry for being dumb

If you want to use old lenses, the only ways you can adjust the exposure without moving the aperture ring on the lens are to let the meter adjust either the shutter speed or the ISO. If you want to use a sort of program mode, you'll want to put it in aperture priority mode and auto ISO.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus has officially announced their new 75mm f/1.8 for m4/3

Street price estimated at $899. Availability just listed as "Summer 2012".

If that price drops a bit (probably will), it's going to be really hard to resist getting an OM-D. Goddamn.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Sony Alpha Rumours is reporting that the standard zoom G lens for the NEX is going to be.....

17-50 f/3.5-f/5.6 OSS.

:eng99:

If true, there are simply no words.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Kit Lens II: Die Kittier

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Save us, Tamron. Save us.

vvvvv In that case: Save us, Sigma. Save us.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
An affordable 30mm f/1.4/1.8 is all I ask for. Is that too much?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Can any of you m4/3 people comment on whether the e-p3 is worth 250$ more than the e-pl2?

The e-pl2 used looks like 350, e-pl3 500, and the e-p3 is 600...I believe it is said that the 3 series has faster AF but basically the same image quality. The control difference between them doesn't seem a big deal since I spend 90% of my time in aperture priority.

I'm not really considering the pl3 because...I like the look of the pl2 and p3 haha.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

LiquidRain posted:

Sony Alpha Rumours is reporting that the standard zoom G lens for the NEX is going to be.....

17-50 f/3.5-f/5.6 OSS.

I would have been happy to see an f/4 G if it kept the lens tiny, and image quality was good at f/4. But this? This is stupid.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Can any of you m4/3 people comment on whether the e-p3 is worth 250$ more than the e-pl2?

The e-pl2 used looks like 350, e-pl3 500, and the e-p3 is 600...I believe it is said that the 3 series has faster AF but basically the same image quality. The control difference between them doesn't seem a big deal since I spend 90% of my time in aperture priority.

I'm not really considering the pl3 because...I like the look of the pl2 and p3 haha.
Since you're not getting the new 16MP sensor in the E-P3 I'd say it's probably pointless over the E-PL2. Save the $250 for upgrading later ha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

teethgrinder posted:

Since you're not getting the new 16MP sensor in the E-P3 I'd say it's probably pointless over the E-PL2. Save the $250 for upgrading later ha.

Yeah that is honestly what I was thinking. The e-pl2 could last me a year or two while I get the lenses and hopefully the sensor will have made a nice jump in that timeframe...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

At the rate they've been going, I doubt there'll be a better sensor for at least two years. Might have better image processing. Waiting might get you a much cheaper 16MP m4/3 camera though.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Something black that says OM-D on the front is sitting behind me now, waiting for the battery to charge. :D

Not thrilled with the location of the playback button, but other than that, wow.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Something black that says OM-D on the front is sitting behind me now, waiting for the battery to charge. :D

Not thrilled with the location of the playback button, but other than that, wow.

Hell yes :toot: What are your impressions so far?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
The EM-5 seems like such an awesomely built camera, and it also seems to have less noise at ISO 3200 than the NEX-7 (which is pretty hilarious, thanks for those megapixels, Sony).

But the one thing it seems to lack, is an ineffable quality to the pictures. When I look at the NEX pictures on Flickr and the internet, they just seem to have not only a better dynamic range, but this indescribable quality that makes them look more professional. Whereas when I look at the EM-5 pictures, there's no issue with noise anymore, but they still seem a little closer in LOOKING like a higher quality compact camera picture, than a DSLR picture. But that's just my opinion.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
bah, you guys are making it harder for me to make a decision. Nex 7 or OM-D. Right now I am leaning towards the Nex, mostly because I have been able to hold it and I like the feel and so does my wife.

Fiannaiocht
Aug 21, 2008
Nobody told me how nice the X100 box was. And this thing is pretty drat dense.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

Costello Jello posted:

The EM-5 seems like such an awesomely built camera, and it also seems to have less noise at ISO 3200 than the NEX-7 (which is pretty hilarious, thanks for those megapixels, Sony).

But the one thing it seems to lack, is an ineffable quality to the pictures. When I look at the NEX pictures on Flickr and the internet, they just seem to have not only a better dynamic range, but this indescribable quality that makes them look more professional. Whereas when I look at the EM-5 pictures, there's no issue with noise anymore, but they still seem a little closer in LOOKING like a higher quality compact camera picture, than a DSLR picture. But that's just my opinion.

This has always been my feeling about the 4/3 cameras. Something about the tones combined with the increased DOF just makes it look not as good. I just got an X-Pro and with the 35 1.4, the pictures are mindblowing. Very comparable to full frame.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DJExile posted:

Olympus has officially announced their new 75mm f/1.8 for m4/3

Street price estimated at $899. Availability just listed as "Summer 2012".

If that price drops a bit (probably will), it's going to be really hard to resist getting an OM-D. Goddamn.

LiquidRain posted:

17-50 f/3.5-f/5.6 OSS.

Sony apparently came out with the NEX so it could troll people with it's terrible lens selection.

I light fires
May 12, 2001

sparticus posted:

bah, you guys are making it harder for me to make a decision. Nex 7 or OM-D. Right now I am leaning towards the Nex, mostly because I have been able to hold it and I like the feel and so does my wife.

Meh I just sacked up and put in an order for the OM-D. I figure as rare as they appear to be if I ended up not liking it I could probably sell it in a heartbeat for just as much as I paid for it. Now the only problem is that no one knows when mine will ship. When I called Olympus the lady said 4-8 weeks but that she was only guessing and it might be longer than that.

I guess on the bright side the longer it takes the longer I have to actually save the money.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just bought the 14/2.5 and 45/1.8 to add onto the 25/1.4 for my E-M5. Have to say these 2 are drat value for money lenses, they're tack-sharp and relatively cheap compared to DSLR lenses. And for once I now can have my camera and a 3 lens kit in my bag when I go out for a photowalk; unthinkable with a DSLR unless i wanted to kill my shoulder.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Surplus kit Panasonic 14mm's seem to get cheaper by the day on Amazon and eBay...getting very tempting.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Uncle Ivan posted:

This has always been my feeling about the 4/3 cameras. Something about the tones combined with the increased DOF just makes it look not as good. I just got an X-Pro and with the 35 1.4, the pictures are mindblowing. Very comparable to full frame.
Regarding tones at least, what you're talking about is kind of subjective so I can't address it directly. All I'll say is that with 4/3 there's a pretty vast difference between shooting in JPG and RAW. The JPG stuff is very heavily processed (and by most measures is considered very "good" as subjective as that is) and might be contributing to the effect you're describing. If you shoot in RAW and process yourself, you obviously have a hell of a lot more control over the final product.

That said, even with JPG there are a lot of variables and settings on Olympus cameras for tweaking output.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Sony apparently came out with the NEX so it could troll people with it's terrible lens selection.

I've been starting to think the same thing - but if the latest rumor of the G zoom being a pancake are true all is forgiven for a while.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Aredna posted:

I've been starting to think the same thing - but if the latest rumor of the G zoom being a pancake are true all is forgiven for a while.

It had better be super goddamned small to offset being a lovely kit lens.

Is it seriously easier to make a pancake zoom than to make a pancake fast prime?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Unfortunately Sony knows who they're selling to. Those of us who pine for good E-mount lenses like a 17-50 f/2.8 are very much the minority. Most NEX users I've seen pick up either the Tamron or Sony superzooms. The NEX cameras are selling far more to people who want an interchangeable lens point & shoot then to serious photographers. (and a lot of those serious users are just using adapters)

Those folks are much more likely to appreciate (and buy) superzooms and pancake zooms. Sony knows what they're doing. :(

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Aredna posted:

It's probably not really a pancake, but a collapsible lens. The m43 kit lenses are like this - they look small collapsed, but look like a normal kit zoom when in use.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

LiquidRain posted:

Unfortunately Sony knows who they're selling to. Those of us who pine for good E-mount lenses like a 17-50 f/2.8 are very much the minority. Most NEX users I've seen pick up either the Tamron or Sony superzooms. The NEX cameras are selling far more to people who want an interchangeable lens point & shoot then to serious photographers. (and a lot of those serious users are just using adapters)

Those folks are much more likely to appreciate (and buy) superzooms and pancake zooms. Sony knows what they're doing. :(

But why not do both? Panasonic and Olympus seem to.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

LiquidRain posted:

While this is true, I don't really get why they released the Nex-7. Maybe they figured that the ability to adapt a wide array lenses would more or less shut people up, but releasing a camera with a sensor that dense and a design that evokes a high end SLR feel and not supporting it with lenses makes no sense, especially considering the reception the Fuji X system has gotten from enthusiasts and professionals.

At least Sigma put out some usable primes, I guess,

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

FasterThanLight posted:

It's probably not really a pancake, but a collapsible lens. The m43 kit lenses are like this - they look small collapsed, but look like a normal kit zoom when in use.

The actual rumor is that it's a power zoom, so yes, very collapsible. But no mechanical control at all. If it's true, I think it's a good idea for NEX, because even though I don't like power zooms, it'd be a handy thing to have in addition to primes, since they have no worthy pancakes for the E-mount.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

FasterThanLight posted:

gently caress that. I was messing around with m43 cameras the other day. It's stupid because you pick up the camera and think: "Oh, it's a pretty good size" and then you realize you have to extend the lens to use it even at its widest setting and it becomes stupid because you've got this tiny camera with a lens so long that you could turn it sideways and people would think you've got a monopod mounted on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

gently caress that. I was messing around with m43 cameras the other day. It's stupid because you pick up the camera and think: "Oh, it's a pretty good size" and then you realize you have to extend the lens to use it even at its widest setting and it becomes stupid because you've got this tiny camera with a lens so long that you could turn it sideways and people would think you've got a monopod mounted on it.

The kit lens on the Nikon One was like that, I believe.