Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

So, uh, how important is the factory erase/reset before using this tool? The instructions say it just makes it faster, so it shouldn't break things if you skip it right?

It just makes things less than convenient when somebody brings me their iPhone to jailbreak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Is mywi broken right now? I had no problems jailbreaking my iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 and my MacBook can connect to mywi over bluetooth or USB, but no data is ever transferred.

edit: pdanet works so I guess it is just a mywi issue.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 25, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I have a theory about why my photos were left in /HackStore/: because I did not erase all content & settings and I had a passcode set on my device.
Just a guess, really.

I tested VPN on my 4S, and it still works. I still need to confirm my co-worker's iPad 2 cannot use VPN.

Holy hell, saurik, WinterBoard still fucks with AddSheet.app / iAds! I thought this was fixed.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 25, 2012

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Shroomie posted:

So, uh, how important is the factory erase/reset before using this tool? The instructions say it just makes it faster, so it shouldn't break things if you skip it right?

It just makes things less than convenient when somebody brings me their iPhone to jailbreak.

I never do this. It took almost no time at all to jailbreak. The OTA update wouldn't work, but a regular Itunes update worked fine. I did have to reset my Cydia repos when I opened it up before anything would work.

Use the commands in the OP to save a list of Cydia apps and it takes about 10 minutes after downloading the IPSW.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
My jailbreak keeps failing. I have jailbroken this iPad 1 many times, and updated it, and removed all the settings, and followed the instructions. It makes it all the way to the end, but then finds a problem, and does a recovery. Does Absinthe connect to the internet at any time when it does this? If so, my work's filter is probably just blocking it. Otherwise, I have no idea.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Restoring to a stock 5.1.1 through iTunes worked for me. Absinthe kept failing on my 4S, which took the 5.1.1 OTA. I went back to stock 5.1.1, restored my iCloud backup, (apparently lost my camera roll), and everything is working now.

Installed Unfold, Switchy and SiriToggles. Really worth it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I did the update through iTunes and couldn't get Absinthe to work.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SLOSifl posted:

Restoring to a stock 5.1.1 through iTunes worked for me. Absinthe kept failing on my 4S, which took the 5.1.1 OTA. I went back to stock 5.1.1, restored my iCloud backup, (apparently lost my camera roll), and everything is working now.

Installed Unfold, Switchy and SiriToggles. Really worth it.

If you've lost your Camera Roll, it may be located here:

/private/var/mobile/Media/HackStore/

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
After successfully jb'ing, is it possible to restore from a previous iCloud backup - i.e. not the latest one? Cos my latest backup is from this afternoon, a buggered up sync where I'd managed to get loads of previously uninstalled apps on there, and deleted loads of my other apps. During one of my jb attempts, I was able to choose the iCloud backup I wanted to use, and grabbed a backup from last night before I'd hosed up.

Now I've jb'd properly, when I go to restore in iTunes I seem to only have the option to choose my latest restore. How can I pick last night's backup?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Wow, I didn't have any problems and I did it in a rather reckless way. I OTA updated both my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3 when 5.1.1 came out, didn't bother doing a backup or a restore before running absinthe, i just ran it, plugged in the device, clicked to jailbreak and both my 4S and my 16GB wifi iPad 3 are now jailbroken with no issues that I notice right now.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

dirtyfrog posted:

After successfully jb'ing, is it possible to restore from a previous iCloud backup - i.e. not the latest one? Cos my latest backup is from this afternoon, a buggered up sync where I'd managed to get loads of previously uninstalled apps on there, and deleted loads of my other apps. During one of my jb attempts, I was able to choose the iCloud backup I wanted to use, and grabbed a backup from last night before I'd hosed up.

Now I've jb'd properly, when I go to restore in iTunes I seem to only have the option to choose my latest restore. How can I pick last night's backup?

As far as I know, iCloud only holds one backup.

iTunes defaults to just one backup as well, unless the backup folders have different names. That allows you to have a virtually unlimited number of backups to go back to. Only until recently did I still have a 4.2.1, 4.3.3, and 5.0.1 backup saved.

Of course, you have to know & rename ahead of time to be able to select backups. If you only have one backup available to you now, you cannot get back an old & deleted one (that I know of).

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

Xenomorph posted:

iTunes defaults to just one backup as well, unless the backup folders have different names. That allows you to have a virtually unlimited number of backups to go back to. Only until recently did I still have a 4.2.1, 4.3.3, and 5.0.1 backup saved.

Of course, you have to know & rename ahead of time to be able to select backups. If you only have one backup available to you now, you cannot get back an old & deleted one (that I know of).

Like I say, I was at one point today able to pick an iCloud backup from last night. But the iCloud control panel (Win7) seems to only have a backup from an hour ago, obviously during one of my hosed up attempts, and no sign of the one from last night. Ah well, not the end of the world, will still have most of the apps in iTunes.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Xenomorph posted:

iTunes is one backup per iOS version, not one total like iCloud. A 5.0 backup will never be overwritten with a 5.1 backup.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 25, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GutBomb posted:

Wow, I didn't have any problems and I did it in a rather reckless way. I OTA updated both my iPhone 4S and my iPad 3 when 5.1.1 came out, didn't bother doing a backup or a restore before running absinthe, i just ran it, plugged in the device, clicked to jailbreak and both my 4S and my 16GB wifi iPad 3 are now jailbroken with no issues that I notice right now.

No one said it was impossible. It's just a rather risky way of doing it, so they suggest otherwise.

[edit] I'm in the process of erasing all contents and settings on my iPhone. Which has much data on it. Should it be doing the black-screen spinning/loading thing for over 15 minutes?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If you're still having trouble no matter what:

From the ChronicDevTeam twitter:

some fixes have been pushed for a couple of little bugs, #Absinthe 2.0.1 is now live greenpois0n.com

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Update on AT&T unlocking my phone: I'm on hold with them again and the guy said "it looks like" the unlock is finished but he's not sure so he's asking someone else. That's great, but how do I find out for sure if my phone is unlocked or not? I'm reliant on the 1.59.00 baseband for ultrasn0w at the moment, and I don't want to gamble and upgrade my phone and baseband only to find out I'm poo poo out of luck of a phone because the guy was wrong.

Also, is there any point in tiny umbrella anymore since shsh blobs don't work anymore? Should I even bother running it?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Update on AT&T unlocking my phone: I'm on hold with them again and the guy said "it looks like" the unlock is finished but he's not sure so he's asking someone else. That's great, but how do I find out for sure if my phone is unlocked or not? I'm reliant on the 1.59.00 baseband for ultrasn0w at the moment, and I don't want to gamble and upgrade my phone and baseband only to find out I'm poo poo out of luck of a phone because the guy was wrong.
Typically once the unlock request is sent to Apple it takes a few days for it to hit the server.

If/once it goes through, you'll see this next time you plug in to iTunes:

(The official line is that you should "restore your phone", but that's never been the case for me.)

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, nothing changed in iOS 5, ie. there's no on-device message, it's an iTunes-only thing.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
My co-worker got his VPN settings working again by resetting Network settings (just like me, he jailbroke without wiping first).

One issue I've noticed with this jailbreak: There seems to be a slight pause when opening a folder. The length of the pause depends on how many apps are inside it (fewer apps = shorter pause). I'm guessing that's a icon-caching thing. I guess that's better than hosed up white icons and respringing over and over.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Xenomorph posted:

My co-worker got his VPN settings working again by resetting Network settings (just like me, he jailbroke without wiping first).

One issue I've noticed with this jailbreak: There seems to be a slight pause when opening a folder. The length of the pause depends on how many apps are inside it (fewer apps = shorter pause). I'm guessing that's a icon-caching thing. I guess that's better than hosed up white icons and respringing over and over.

Are you using Infinifolders or something? That's not new (at least not to me.) There's a delay when you have a lot of icons in 1 folder.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

Are you using Infinifolders or something? That's not new (at least not to me.) There's a delay when you have a lot of icons in 1 folder.

I am not, but I am familiar with the delay. The same delay happened with the 4.2.1 jailbreak, because Apple changed the way icons were cached going from 4.1 -> 4.2.1. I think Folder Enhancer and Barrel had to be updated to help with it (I am using Barrel).

It's not a huge deal, and it only happens once (per folder) after a respring/reboot - and if it has something to do with fixing white icons, I'm fine with it.

I've been going through settings, running apps, removing/adding stuff, etc - basically trying to find any bugs with this.

Edit:
After a respring, I'm not getting the delay now. Heck, even after a reboot I'm still not getting the delay. I wonder if there was some cache being rebuilt then...

So far, this seems like one of the best jailbreaks yet.

and saurik just said this to me about the iAd/AdSheet.app thing:

quote:

Sadly, this is one of those mysterious things that makes absolutely no sense (and is one of the few bugs I've heard of before and haven't been able to fix yet). :(

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 25, 2012

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Feenix posted:

If you're still having trouble no matter what:

From the ChronicDevTeam twitter:

some fixes have been pushed for a couple of little bugs, #Absinthe 2.0.1 is now live greenpois0n.com

Too bad greenp0ison.com is down.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Shroomie posted:

Too bad greenp0ison.com is down.

It's greenpois0n, not greenp0ison!

here's the links from the site:
Mac OS X: https://sites.google.com/site/greenpois0nabsinthe/absinthe-mac-2.0.1.dmg?attredirects=0&d=1
Windows: https://sites.google.com/site/greenpois0nabsinthe/absinthe-win-2.0.1.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
Linux: https://sites.google.com/site/greenpois0nabsinthe/absinthe-linux-2.0.1.tar.bz2?attredirects=0&d=1

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I followed the trick that was given in this thread and now have Cydia on my iPad 3. After attempting to restore a backup, though, I got none of my apps back (have to put them back on manually, it seems), and my folders are all gone. What a huge bummer.

I noticed I had like 5 backups (all from today? weird) to choose from, to restore, and I tried the first and last ones, same result. I guess I must have made extra backups as a result of the failed jailbreaking process, but I don't know.

In any case, I have an iPhone on 5.0.1 (untethered JB), and I'd really like to update to 5.1.1, but I'd be really bummed out if I lost all of my folders, cydia apps, settings, and so forth. Backing up the iPad didn't seem to have the results I expected.

Any idea what I did wrong? I did a full backup (to my computer, not through the cloud) before resetting the iPad and so on. Thanks!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Xenomorph posted:

and saurik just said this to me about the iAd/AdSheet.app thing:

Is this referring to the whole thing that shows like iAds.app and other various iOS diagnostic apps on the homescreen?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

dutchbstrd posted:

Is this referring to the whole thing that shows like iAds.app and other various iOS diagnostic apps on the homescreen?

The diagnostic apps had to do with "libhide", I believe, a separate component.

But yes, WinterBoard causes the advertisement banner to be seen on the homescreen and/or briefly when switching apps.

It has been an issue all the way back since iOS 4.0 (or whenever iAds first showed up). I'm guessing most people don't notice, don't care, or just don't run a lot of iAds apps. I've used thousands of apps, and I've currently only have one on any of my devices that actually uses iAds.

The "fix" so far has to been to rename /Applications/AdSheet.app to something like AdSheet.bak. No more ad-banner on the homescreen. The "side effect" of that is also that NO iAds show up in any application, ever. Some may like that, but it can hurt the app developer if they are depending on the ad revenue.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?
Is anyone having problems with white icons not going away? I just jailbroke my 3rd Gen iPad and the jailbreak went perfect, except now I've got 2 white icons (Safari & YouTube) that won't go away. I've restarted 3 times, closed all of the apps from the multitasking bar, and restarted again. Still there.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jailbroke both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4S. Both jailbreaks went fine without issue, yet I somehow manage to gently caress up the backups (backed up both through iCloud and locally). so now I have all my apps installed/sorted as they were before but none of the app data got backed up :wtc:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just ran through this on my iPad3. I OTA updated this 3 days ago. Plugged it in, ran Absinthe and about 5 minutes later all done and working great. No white icons, cydia installed and iBooks works great. Now to do the iPhone.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I've had the usual white icons after installing apps. Luckily it's just as easy to fix as on 5.0.1: respring from SBsettings.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Hamburlgar posted:

I've had the usual white icons after installing apps. Luckily it's just as easy to fix as on 5.0.1: respring from SBsettings.

I can't even get the packages to download. Every app I try and go to gives me a "Unknown. Cannot locate package" page.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Is anyone having problems with white icons not going away? I just jailbroke my 3rd Gen iPad and the jailbreak went perfect, except now I've got 2 white icons (Safari & YouTube) that won't go away. I've restarted 3 times, closed all of the apps from the multitasking bar, and restarted again. Still there.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I had Music show a white icon and then Settings show the Phone icon later. I got iWipe Cache from Cydia and it fixed them each time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

HorseDickSandwich posted:

I can't even get the packages to download. Every app I try and go to gives me a "Unknown. Cannot locate package" page.

You mean in Cydia? It's hit or miss right now. It's MASSIVELY strained. Super slow. Day 1 shenanigans. By tonight/tomorrow it will be better. :)

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Feenix posted:

You mean in Cydia? It's hit or miss right now. It's MASSIVELY strained. Super slow. Day 1 shenanigans. By tonight/tomorrow it will be better. :)

I figured it was getting its rear end kicked. I'll probably wait a couple of days for it to calm down before I do the iPhone.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Feenix posted:

I was able to get my apps (lockingo, SBSettings, MyWi) but then again I was sitting on a Uni 155MBit pipe. :3:

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
gently caress

WHITE ICONS AGAIN.

:(

Edit: Not just white icons, but icons that are all swapped and poo poo. Safari has the SMS icon, SMS has a white icon, etc.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

yet I somehow manage to gently caress up the backups (backed up both through iCloud and locally).

That's why I always go to the MobileSync folder and manually backup my backup folder

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

gently caress

WHITE ICONS AGAIN.

:(

Edit: Not just white icons, but icons that are all swapped and poo poo. Safari has the SMS icon, SMS has a white icon, etc.

I was finally able to get SBSettings downloaded, and a couple of resprings fixed my white icon problems.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dutchbstrd posted:

That's why I always go to the MobileSync folder and manually backup my backup folder

It's weird. My apps were backed up. Their data wasn't. However, jail broken data was backed up properly on my phone! :lol:

Oh well, lost a bunch of game saves I rarely played anymore.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

pseudonordic posted:

I had Music show a white icon and then Settings show the Phone icon later. I got iWipe Cache from Cydia and it fixed them each time.

Does iWipe Cache actually do anything? It hasn't been updated in years, and was made for iOS 3.x!

The entire program is this:
code:
#!/bin/bash
rm -f /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.springboard-imagecache*
rm -rf /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/SpringBoardIconCache
rm -rf /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/SpringBoardIconCache-small
/usr/bin/killall SpringBoard
I don't have any of those folders/files it is trying to delete, so all it looks like it is doing is simply respringing the device (which is the retarded work-around everyone has been using already).

I do have this directory:
/private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache

It has a list of all my apps. I think I may nuke that if I get white icons again. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
How long should the erasing procedure take? It's been going on 45 minutes now.

• Locked thread