Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Here is a bad experience:

The bad experience was my first experience with tabletop gaming. I was invited by a friend who had just purchased the DM kit for D&D 4E, and was super excited to run one of the pregens. I had expressed interest in showing up, and when I did everything seemed fairly normal. My friend had invited some other people, and the first guy to show up, Frederick, was pretty cool. He was in the army, well-groomed, socially well-adjusted, all-in-all a normal human being. So I figured that I was going to be okay, that this wouldn't be too bad even if I didn't enjoy the game, at least I could still get drunk and bullshit with some friends.

That's when the other two people showed up. They were a couple; Ethel, the girl, seemed pretty normal, if a little shy. The guy, Patrick, however, was a loving freak show, and immediately made me want to say "gently caress this, I'm out". Right out of the gate, Patrick made everyone else uncomfortable with his horrible misogynistic treatment of his girlfriend. Apparently she had failed to make a character, and he "had to make one for her, so she had to get punished". Yeah :wtc: The character he rolled for Ethel was a amazon-like woman in a chainmail bikini. Not content to just let that ride, he began describing the measurements of this imaginary woman, giving careful detail to her chest. Not cool. This sexually-charged uncomfortableness continued throughout the rest of the session, with Patrick goading Ethel into handing out blowjobs (in game) to get us through guards and whatever obstacles came up. It was gross.

But that wasn't the worst part. Patrick himself was more disturbing than his actions. He wasn't super fat or anything, and didn't have disgusting facial hair, but he was absolutely a stereotypical nerd. I noticed the fingernails first. All 10 of his fingernails looked like they hadn't been cut in years. Each one was like a coke fingernail. They were yellow with fungus and cracked down the middle. It was absolutely disgusting, and I did my best to not touch anything he touched. His face was a combat zone, pitted and greasy. His pig eyes hid behind lovely knock-off Transitions, so they didn't actually clear up from being sunglasses for a long time. He had a bowl-cut for hair, and in the end the total package was horrifying. Everything about him was completely unpleasant. I've not played with him since, but I've learned that he would come over, and once the game started go into the bathroom, take an awful, loud poo poo, and continue to play through the bathroom door.

So I almost never played again, but managed to connect with my current group, who are all awesome people to play with. :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I'm not sure what it is about that, but when I see a guy with long fingernails I get grossed right the gently caress out.

I'm cool with the pinky coke nail, buw when the whole hand is tipped with gnarly nails...

Just. Gross.

areyoucontagious when I first started reading your story I thought it might have been a D/s couple playing in public, which could have been cool and intriguing, but nope. Just an rear end in a top hat.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Agrikk posted:

I'm not sure what it is about that, but when I see a guy with long fingernails I get grossed right the gently caress out.

I'm cool with the pinky coke nail, buw when the whole hand is tipped with gnarly nails...

Just. Gross.

areyoucontagious when I first started reading your story I thought it might have been a D/s couple playing in public, which could have been cool and intriguing, but nope. Just an rear end in a top hat.

It still might be a D/s thing without them really knowing it. I've met a lot of nerds with that kind of relationship that didn't know that things were supposed to be any different. Plus, that dude is a douche.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The Battletech Aspie Furry Saga Continues
(To make me want to drink heavily and become a hermit. :smith: )

Well as last updated I had been informed of the Battletech.com thread.

This week I told his friend to let him know I saw said thread and to inform him he had left quite a bit out. (I think the thread has now been deleted but we will get to that.)

I get a new email, as usual, his messages in bold mine in italics. I will be adding some commentary because this poo poo is getting upsetting.

...a problem with me, do not use XXXXX or anyone else as a go between!!! You need to grow the gently caress up and let this go! I did not leave a lot out of my post on the forums, I spoke about the root issue that resulted in the conflict between us! I can see now that it was a mistake to unblock you! Goodbye, and I hope you grow the gently caress up and learn to not be so abusive and manipulative!

Well its hard to talk to him when he always blocks my emails, never responds to anything I say if he in fact hasn't blocked them, nor is ever present when I am because as he said he doesn't show up on Tuesdays because apparently I upset him that much. Also why is he regretting unblocking me when I made a total of ONE reply to him which was very nice and polite?

Now I had to reply back, though I seriously doubt he read it.

See I don't exactly have the greatest self esteem. I had an abusive mother (according to my doctor just telling him the tip of her horrible actions. Also whenever I get together with my half sister we basically just talk about what she did to us. Heck, a few months before my dad passed away he talked about how she put us through hell.) who was probably bipolar, incredibly controlling, and verbally (though sometimes physically) abusive no matter what you did.

All my life I try to do the best I can and be the nicest I can. I usually get poo poo on for it. In NO way am I saying I am a perfect person. Normally I feel like a piece of poo poo. People abusing me and not listening to me is only something I can take.

Which lead to this probably unread response:

The root issue is you have problems and are a bad uncommunicative GM. You left almost everything out.

Such as:
1: Giving me 1000 less EXP than everyone else without asking or talking it over with me.

2: When having an issue with me instead of talking it over with me in private just jumping to conclusions, emailing me
that I am terrible and out, and upon me saying I may have actually apologized had you talked it over with me, you
merely then swore at me, whined about how you have Aspergers (because I guess this gives you a free pass to act
nuts..), and then insisted you were blocking me, only to send me more obnoxious emails about how terrible I am.

3: Your "re invite" such as it was, was little more than arrogant, self aggrandizing ego tripping made to belittle
and insult me. Upon me politely declining you continued emailing me with stupid things I didn't care about as your
GMing is clearly grade F at best.

4: The fact that your original core 3 players were apparently the only people who got to many ANY decisions about
anything in the game at all, even though apparently most of them knew VERY little about Battletech. Everyone else
was seemingly just supposed to praise and worship them even though everyone was GONNA START PLAYING
AT THE SAME BLOODY TIME.

You were apparently punishing me for knowing what the hell I was doing in Battletech. I've run campaigns before.
I've taught a good two dozen people how to play the game. Instead you threw ridiculously overskilled characters
at complete novices and made them keep track of finances as a starting game. That's TERRIBLE GMing.

If I was abusive I would have yelled at you for those times I and others have seen you picking your nose in public
instead of me just being grossed out and washing my hands after every game.

And exactly how am I manipulative? I'd loooove to hear it. Considering YOUR GROUP that had issues with me
was.. you and one other guy. Two of the people playing in your probably soon to self destruct game I have known for
a half decade or more and I myself have stood up for them when other folks had issues with them. Funny they
didn't talk to me at all about it.

If I really wanted to have made you miserable instead of me telling XXXX to tell you I saw your awful BT.com post
(that some IRC BT players told me about. They say you do nothing but post nonsense by the way.) I would
have just posted my side and all our email conversations. According to people I have shown them to, YOU
are completely in the wrong. At every single minute possible turn whenever there was a decision to make you
constantly picked the WRONG ONE. You did nothing but make it worse to the point I was showing the emails
no longer to see if I was to blame but so other people could laugh at them!

(And oh man has there been a LOT of laughing.)

You know what your biggest issue is? You don't talk WITH me. You talk AT ME. You just sit and say whatever
you want, ignore anything I have to say, and just think I am gonna give a drat about what a nose picking furry with
an obscenely large breast fetish who uses his disability as an excuse to be awful has to say.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460258&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post403389830

Here. Start there and read on. I update it over the next few pages. Read what other people have to say. LEARN
where you screwed up.

I probably was an rear end initially and for that I humbly apologize. But since then the only person to be an enormous nitwit
is you. Hopefully this message will get through to you and you can improve yourself.

I really shouldn't have mocked his furry stuff but I can only stand to be the better man for so long. Hopefully linking this thread was ok. I was hoping it might show him where he hosed up as opposed to the single sided hugbox he had at BT.com. (Though some goons had posted in my defense there of which I thank you kindly.)

I've never gone to my mother's grave. Mainly because I would do nothing but yell and probably deface it. I am really quite tired of just having to take abuse from people and not get any justice.

All I really want is for him to apologize for his mistakes. He won't.

Well, I was still fuming and responded to his BT.com thread, only to get a lovely warning from the moderators:

You are recieving a Warning for this post:
Quote from: Captain Rufus on Today at 01:03:14

"
Except you are leaving quite a bit out. I've seen this same game being brought up on another forum.

You decided this player was getting 1000 less exp than everyone else and didn't even tell him. The player with the most experience.

That's... not cool. With a game group you let all the players have input and do what is called a "group template". You basically decided this player was the party whipping boy for whatever reason, and instead of talking with him pretty much kicked him out over email, and when he outright said he would have most likely apologized you then swore at him, talked about your autism, and that you were now blocking his email. Except then you sent him more messages.

I've read them.

You don't come off very well at all GM. I sure as hell wouldn't want to play at your kind of game.

It is in fact the GM's job to make sure everyone has a good time. Singling someone out and making them lesser in the group is totally not cool."

This is in violation of Rule 7:

7. Leave problems at the door
Do not bring problems or flame wars from other message boards or webpages to this one, or personal issues from any other source. You have a problem with someone, DO NOT bring it in here.

It does not matter what problems you have with XXXXXXXX or any other poster on these forums you may encounter offline or on other sites, or who is actually in the wrong. That problem is not welcome here.

Since this is your first Warning, no further disciplinary action will be taken at this time.

I probably shouldn't have responded at all, but having to read his smug little thread with other people talking as if I was this awful human being was not right to me. I had to say my piece, albeit without directly saying it was ME he was talking about.

I didn't link SA from there. I merely wanted to get my side out. From what I can tell the thread has now been deleted or moved backstage and I get this message from the crazy:

You can lie about me......
...all you want. It does not change the fact that I am a fair and impartial GM. Everything I do as GM, every decision, is based around the fact that the GM is there to tell a great story. The player's are there to derive fun from advancing that story. You have serious psychological issues, I let this issue go and you sent your internet attack dogs after me on the Battletech forums. Do not speak to me if you see me at XXXXXXX, if I feel threatened by you in the least I will call the police on you. You cannot let this go because you are a control freak, you must always be the last to speak, you must always get what you want. I know what behaviors demonstrate who is an abusive individual and you have the hallmarks of a severe abuser. You also display traits of sociopathy.

:psyduck:

I.. I think I am done with this guy if not with Battletech entirely. I play games to have fun, not to have a nutjob belittle me and not listen to a single goddamned thing I have to say. I already had that experience with my mother and she passed away close to 15 years ago now.

What the hell?

Is there anything I could have even done to make this right? Should I have even loving tried? Should I even care?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You just can't win with some people. v:shepface:v

For what it's worth, you handled it well for a long time, and there are weirdos like that in every fandom. It just depends on what they latch onto first.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Eh, let it go, write him off as a nutter.

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Dude just drop it. He's not worth the emotional investment.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
At this point you're starting to cross the line to being the one with the cat piss. Just don't contact him anymore, let him bitch on an anonymous forum, and live your life.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
You linked him to this thread. The only way this story will get better is if he buys an account to post his crazy direct from the source. At this point he's just blending into the "douchebag GM with a superiority complex" scenery.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah, holy crap. He started off the crazy one, but you are seriously closing the distance, dude. Write this guy off before he drives you completely off the deep end. Remember, when you wrestle a pig, you get dirty and the pig has all the fun.

Honestly, though, you are getting way too worked up about this. Being in the right only carries you so far. About the point you started slinging ad hominem attacks at the little weirdo and just straight-out berating him, you toed the line. Don't let him get to you like that. Cool off, put him on ignore, and get your players back from that toxic group.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The best thing to do would have been to let it go the first or second time he emailed you.

I know it's hard but you had pretty much won by default by being the non-sperg and now you're making sockpuppet accounts to defend yourself so...

DoodleMoogle
Mar 21, 2010

Time to die.
I don't think this is the last we'll hear of this nutcase. I'm fine with that. :munch:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TOOT BOOT posted:

The best thing to do would have been to let it go the first or second time he emailed you.

I know it's hard but you had pretty much won by default by being the non-sperg and now you're making sockpuppet accounts to defend yourself so...

Seriously, just let it go. You're hoping that he's going to be persuaded that he was wrong and you were right or something like that, and it's NEVER going to happen.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
About 6 months ago, some friends at work got me into their bi-weekly Pathfinder game. They had been playing together for years, but they were all very patient with me, helping me understand some of the more arcane rules and correcting any sort of character mistakes I may have made. A very easy going group, lots of fun, and very little drama. All except for Ron. Ron isnt a bad guy, he's just the type of person who likes everyone to know how smart he is, and how good he is at everything. Kind of a smug nerd, who's opinion is fact and if you disagree, your stupid. Almost every character I made, he would loudly inform me that I was playing them wrong. My roleplaying choices were wrong, I should have rolled better to find that trap, I should have put more skills in Use Magical Device, etc. Ron also loved loot. He always had to have first pick of everything, hoarded all the best items for himself, and distributed everything as he saw fit.

As a Paladin, Ron wanted nothing more than a Holy Avenger.He wanted it so bad he could taste it. The GM baited him by having us find a drawing of a bandit king who held a Holy Avenger sword, and having the local lord tell us we could keep whatever we found as long as we killed the Bandit King and rescued some highborn hostages. Ron forced us to go on this quest, even though we didnt really have time. Im not sure what the CR was, but he got our asses kicked. It was a knockdown, dragout brawl for almost 3 sessions(about 3 hours each session). Just before we reached the final part of the dungeon my Barbian runs out of rages,becomes fatigued, shanks a reflex save, falls off a cliff and dies. I was a little pissed. I loved my Barbarian. I hated this quest, hated constantly fighting every session, and hated that we were all doing this so Ron could have his stupid loving sword. So I rerooled a character for the next session with one goal in mind; Sundering.

I had my entire build centered around sundering. Took improved sunder, had a bagful of sais, etc. Next session the GM introduces me as a captive the group sets free. I was a mysterious stranger in a dark cloak who said little unti the final fight with the bandit king, where I threw off my cloak and loudly informed everyone that I was none other than "Sassafras Double Dutch, the Famed Boy Wonder, and Sunder From Down Under". I proceed to sunder everything in sight. I shatter Armor, break axes, and reduce shields to splinters. I roleplayed him as a cross between a male stripper and Macho Man Randy Savage. Everyone loved it except for Ron, who hates silly names in his serious games, and hated gimmick characters. We finally managed the beat the bandit into submission, and as he was about to surrender I sunder his sword. I roll a nat 20 and shattered it into a thousand pieces. Ron quitetly rolls a perception check to see what kind of sword it was. The GM informs him it was a Holy Avenger, but now it was a puddle of steel and splinters. His face turned really red, but he didnt say anything. The bandit king informs him the sword was broken when he found, and had it reforeged in the heart of a volcano, blah blah blah. We all Knew Ron was going to sulk if we didnt do this other lovely quest, but none of us really wanted to do it. So I Cou De Grace the Bandint King, grab the pieces of the sword and jump out the window to my death. Ron left after that, even though we still had a few hours to go. It was fairly childish of me, but it felt really good to snub Ron like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He told me it was a Holy Avenger.
I was really enjoying this story right up until that point. You became That Guy when you destroyed his sword out of spite. Congratulations.

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman

Your Gay Uncle posted:

and if you disagree, your stupid

well...

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

Furry Aspie story

Honestly man, I think at this point of the story it's just getting a little tragic. Call me crazy but I think he was trying to be sincere about inviting you back and just came off as a condescending rear end because he's just poo poo at communicating. And I think he saw the way you reacted as you spitting in his face when he was trying to reach out to you and make peace.

I still think you're in the right for the most part but at this point you should really just let this poo poo go IMO.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I hate people that irritate me and I go out of my way to be worse to them than they ever were to me.

So, it turns out that in the real world, being an incredible dick to people who piss you off is not a generally accepted conflict resolution method. Just throwing that out there.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Gay uncle, I am so glad I don't play with you. God forbid the DM give another character some chance to shine, because if all eyes aren't on you at all times you'll just be an utter dick for no goddamned reason. loving hell, that is some childish poo poo.

Also, excellent use of the word "we" when you mean "me".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like how in Gay Uncle's story he blames the Paladin for the GM using too hard monsters. This isn't an MMO bro, when you go into a dungeon too hard you can actually talk to do the dude running it!

Also for the BT thing, yea it was funny as hell at first but I think right now if you end the story it still is 'he was a giant jerkass, I was a smaller jerkass, let's laugh at the jerkass'.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like I said, it was a really childish move. I dont blame the Paladin for the GM making a hard dungeon, it was just that the Paladin was the only one who had something to gain out of the whole thing. I think the GM felt bad, because Ron got another one about a month later on a random loot drop. Didnt do him much good, since about 2 sessions after that 3/4 of the party was wiped out when our Ranger suicide bombed a royal coronation, which is a pretty awesome story in itself.

The central storyline we were playing is that there were 10 Royal Houses, each one worshipping a different deity. The houses were constantly at war, shifting and breaking alliances every other day. Unknown to us, the Ranger's family had been kidnapped and were going to be killed if he didnt assasinate the head of two royal families. He managed to get us in the same room as the person he was supposed to kill, but they were always surrounded by guards, had poison detectors, etc. So we get invited to a royal wedding where both targets were going to be. Problem was, security was ridiculous. No weapons allowed in the castle at all, wards everywhere, protection hexes up all over the place, there was no chance in hell he was going to pull it off. So what did he do? He bought 3 bags of holding as presents. We were all given one to bringto the reception. They were inspected and found to be empty. The ranger then went up to the gift table and took all 3 bags. He then dropped one bag into another, then dropped that bag into the last one, which apparently set off some giant chain explosion that wiped out around 200 people all packed into the castle hall. The only party survivors was the wizard who overslept and our rogue who was out gathering information about our next job.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

areyoucontagious posted:

So I almost never played again, but managed to connect with my current group, who are all awesome people to play with. :buddy:

This is true, but as a GM ayc will make his players heal the BBEG in the final showdown. :(

Here's a good experience:

We're playing All Flesh Must Be Eaten. Zombies have taken over downtown LA. I'm playing a dumb actor. Another player is playing a creepy meth addict. We're in my character's house in the hills. Groans are coming from the basement- which, it was decided, also doubled as a defunct 70's sex dungeon.
We had this exchange in character:

Methy: Great! I get to try out these grenades I got.
Me: Hey! Don't use grenades in my sex dungeon!
Methy: There are zombies down there. I have grenades. I am using them.
Me: Dude! You're being so uncool!

Maybe it loses something in the re-telling, but we all started laughing.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Kumo posted:

Maybe it loses something in the re-telling, but we all started laughing.

I enjoyed it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I wanted to play D&D for years, but I just never had the chance until recently. I graduated from college and now that I've got some free time on my hands, I got some friends together and started up a 4E game with myself as the GM. We've only played one session so far, but it was a blast.

As for the best experience: at one point, the party is fighting a giant scorpion in the middle of a city street. One of the players has a hybrid fighter-monk, not very well built, but essentially made for grabbing. He runs this monk up to the dromopod and tries to hit it, which misses. On its next turn, it grabs the monk, which I describe as it snapping him up and holding him overhead. So on his next turn, things proceed as such:

Monk: I want to grab the scorpion.
Me: What?
Monk: My attack lets me grab the scorpion, so I want to grab him.
Me: ...okay...

He hits with his attack and grabs the scorpion. Now, I know I was probably doing this all wrong, but everyone was getting a kick out of it, so I just ruled that he had put the scorpion in a kung-fu grip, and as a result they were both immobilized.

Monk: I look back at the group and yell, "It's okay guys, I got him right where I want him!"

Everyone lost it at that, and we kept playing. The next turn, another player, playing a paladin reskinned as a death-knight ripoff, wanted to double-move closer to the combat. As he was moving, I offered him the chance to bust through the cart in his path with a Strength check. He passes it pretty handily, so I describe it as him exploding through the cart in a shower of wood splinters and flying fruit. He ends his double-move right in front of the scorpion, but can't attack. After I inform him of this, he replies:

Death Knight: Can I roll my perception skill to watch the scorpion kill the monk?
Me: Minor action.
Death Knight: 20!
Me: That gets you HD quality.

Overall, it was a hell of a night, and everyone jumped at the chance to come back next week. I didn't have the grasp of the rules that I wanted, but I don't think it matters as much when everyone is having fun. I think this group will be awesome.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Serf posted:

Scorpion locking Monks and Kool-Aid Man Deathknights
Yeah, I think your game is in good hands on both sides of the GM screen.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Benjamin Black posted:

Honestly man, I think at this point of the story it's just getting a little tragic. Call me crazy but I think he was trying to be sincere about inviting you back and just came off as a condescending rear end because he's just poo poo at communicating. And I think he saw the way you reacted as you spitting in his face when he was trying to reach out to you and make peace.

I still think you're in the right for the most part but at this point you should really just let this poo poo go IMO.

Yeah. You are all pretty much right but I knew that the minute I sent the ragey email.

I guess I just felt hurt being called all those things and my temper got the best of me. Which is loving STUPID. I really wished I could have just sat down and talked one to one with him but clearly that was never really possible and beyond that now. If there was a chance I would in fact do so over coffee. poo poo, I would buy!

It's one of my big failings. I keep giving people the benefit of the doubt and think that if talked to there is always a way to make them "see the light".

In general? No, no there isn't. People overall will never apologize for anything they do ever, and most people's minds are already made up.

I will be a much happier person if I get used to that. (Or get the doc to up my Zoloft.)

But hopefully everyone else in TG got to have a good laugh at my misfortune and will learn from my gently caress up.

I do hope however that people will at least still TRY to communicate their issues with people while gaming. So many games and so many hurt feelings and so many lost friendships might have been saved had people just sat down and talked about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't apologize, then start making excuses. It makes you sound insincere. Just let it go, and let's move on.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Just go by the personal code that I tend to use. "Blood for the Blood god."

Oh hey, now that someone has mentioned warhammer :v: I shall retell the story of the man who lost so hard he nearly cried.

I have been playing with the same warhammer 40k group for over 5 years now, nearly weekly games of 2v2 in a totally casual way. We dick around, try out ridiculous army lists, and generally take twice as long as the game should as we never concentrate.

Anyways, on to the game, we are doing our standard kill everything on the table mission, I'm playing as the Grey Knights (elite Paladin-like super space men) and I am fighting Tyranids (space bugs that mix swarms of useless meat with massive tank-eating godzillas). Can't remember what the allies are, as they are inconsequential and due to the size of the board we basically had 2 separate battles going on.

So, I'm doing quite well, good positioning of troops, amazing rolls, and quite frankly an army that I lucked out on as it nearly completely countered the spacebugs. Now I don't know the rules for the Tyranids very well, and it isn't his primary army so we both forgot about a rule that some of his have that nicely counter my "spells". With minimal casualties on my end, I'm carving a hole through his army, and with the loss of probably 1 of my men, take out his really powerful leader in a single round of combat. Upon having to take his leader off the board, he looks noticeably shaken, and now that the other two have seen the crushing defeat of this cool monster (its called the Hive Tyrant. It's pretty drat cool from name alone.) the inevitable friendly mocking/jeers start.

He starts complaining with a raised voice about how overpowered my Grey Knights are, his dudes are so weak, etc. We then go with the standard "not really, things just were unlucky for you", "I just happened to counter you, we make silly lists" means of encouraging loss. Nope. He was having none of it. Kept complaining and at that point I've noticed voice cracking and tears welling up... So I do my usual way of dealing with people, as in I don't, I just kinda mosey off and watch funny videos on youtube until things seemed resolved.

I realize now that he was probably upset about something else, needed to vent, blah blah, but wow.

It's also fun now that the group has gathered a few others and has transitioned into Pathfinder, he sent a text to my friend (as opposed to me, who actually organizes every single game we've played) saying that he's no longer coming. His reasoning is that he is so far behind, he doesn't like his character, things like that. Not only do we automatically level up people who have missed a few games and have now fallen behind to prevent people from feeling useless, but we have all noticed that yes, his character is kinda bad *cough*ranger*cough*. I had started creating two different characters for him to try out something more interesting, to which he was aware of my efforts, but still decided to sit out until we start up a new campaign with fresh characters.

People are weird. Hopefully my ramblings are coherent.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Well, you WERE playing the best army against the worst army, which was horribly nerfed in the last couple of years.

I'd be more surprised if there was a tyranid player out there who DIDN'T cry playing with the new codex.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

pw pw pw posted:

Well, you WERE playing the best army against the worst army, which was horribly nerfed in the last couple of years.

I'd be more surprised if there was a tyranid player out there who DIDN'T cry playing with the new codex.

This. It's a little frustrating seeing a 200+ point model get hit by a single instakill melee weapon that half the drat army wields and die before he can even attack. Grey Knights are ridiculous, tyranids have gotten the shaft. Can't wait til the rumored ally mechanics in 6th edition benefit everyone but us tyranids (because we are the only race with no available allies). Don't even get me started on how laughable our flyer is...

Griping out of the way, one of the most enjoyable games of 40k I ever had was my tyranid vs imperial guard. It was a standard annihilation slugging match that had boiled down by turn 5 to a few squadrons of Leman Russ tanks that had been completely disarmed versus a carnifex with 1 wound, a hive tyrant with 2 wounds and a trygon prime with 1 wound. There were a few scattered and fleeing foot soldiers in the corners but nothing else that could actually be played. Earlier in the game he had tried to tank shock my tyrant and I had destroyed the tank but we had been joking about it for the whole game so on turn 5 we decided to go all or nothing and had him tank shock every one of my monstrous creatures. I ended up killing two or three of the weaponless tanks before bad rolling stopped me from even stunning the vehicles as they charged and he ended up winning via roadkill. We both had a great time and a few people were sticking around to watch by the time we finished.

The best part of all this, though, was the next week when he showed up with blood spatters and random tyranid parts on the front of each of the vehicles that had killed one of my MCs.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

mmj posted:

This. It's a little frustrating seeing a 200+ point model get hit by a single instakill melee weapon that half the drat army wields and die before he can even attack. Grey Knights are ridiculous, tyranids have gotten the shaft.

I will agree that Grey Knights are a little bit silly sometimes, but we have all experienced loss and never teared up over it. I spent days building my brand-new Baneblade, magnetizing it to make its weapons interchangable, got all excited to play it then on its first turn it misses with its death cannon, then immediately dies to a single squad of flanking Fire Dragons.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

kannonfodder posted:

I will agree that Grey Knights are a little bit silly sometimes, but we have all experienced loss and never teared up over it. I spent days building my brand-new Baneblade, magnetizing it to make its weapons interchangable, got all excited to play it then on its first turn it misses with its death cannon, then immediately dies to a single squad of flanking Fire Dragons.

I have a question, I have been looking a bit at 40k and I had a question: If the unit dies in a combat, does that mean it is permanently out of play, you can never play it again, or is it just for that one game?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

itotaku posted:

I have a question, I have been looking a bit at 40k and I had a question: If the unit dies in a combat, does that mean it is permanently out of play, you can never play it again, or is it just for that one game?

What, you mean like you'd never be allowed to use that model again, and have to buy a new one? Don't give GW ideas, they're already hiking prices!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Dr Snofeld posted:

What, you mean like you'd never be allowed to use that model again, and have to buy a new one? Don't give GW ideas, they're already hiking prices!

its been done before
Remember Breakeys?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I've actually seen someone take a model off the table and stomp it to pieces after a particularly bad performance but that's not in the rules, just their damaged brains.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

itotaku posted:

its been done before
Remember Breakeys?

If a model you paid £10 for broke after one use... I was about to say that nobody would buy GW stuff, but it's more accurate to say that only those few people who have more money than sense and have like four armies on the go at once would buy GW stuff.

No, if a unit is killed off in a game it's fine for any other ones.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

itotaku posted:

It's only out for that game, in 40k your armies don't persist from one game to the next like they do in Blood Bowl or Necromunda (though there are rules for extended campaign-play if you're so inclined).
His point is that it's just kinda frustrating if you have a shiny new unit you really want to try out and it gets killed without doing much of anything.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

It's only out for that game, in 40k your armies don't persist from one game to the next like they do in Blood Bowl or Necromunda (though there are rules for extended campaign-play if you're so inclined).
His point is that it's just kinda frustrating if you have a shiny new unit you really want to try out and it gets killed without doing much of anything.

Oh, I was just curious about it before I spent money for 40k i didn't know if the armies were persistent or not.
And as explained I appreciate it, it helps a lot in deciding to buy.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

kannonfodder posted:

yeah true, I was just thinking that's the sort of thing I could see being a last straw. I'll be honest, if I just wanted to unwind after learning I was fired or something and my hive tyrant got swatted aside like nothing I might tear up in frustration. I just wouldn't do it from the game itself. I think you were right when you said you thought he was upset about something else, that was just the outlet it finally took.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

kannonfodder posted:

Dude I don't think you understand how hard tyranids got nerfed.

It is tear-jerkingly, wrist-slittingly bad.

This is not a fluke of bad luck - a tyranid player would need an incredible streak of good luck, and also SIGNIFICANTLY outplay the grey knight player to even stand a chance of winning. Either one of these will NOT seal the deal by itself.

Me and my old roomate started playing 40k at the same time, orks vs tyranids, and we had an extremely good sense of what our armies were capable of. Almost every match was won by a hair. After the new tyranid codex came out, I was brutally routing him game after game after game. He eventually quit playing. And orks aren't even particularly GOOD against tyranids - whereas grey knights are SUPERBLY points-efficient against them.

Not only is their codex by far the worst of the last 10-15 years, and not only is grey knights one of the best codexes ever written, but there are ALSO a number of special rules grey knights are specifically equipped with to mash all tyranids into a fine paste. I'm not joking - they are no longer daemon hunters, they are tyranid hunters.

For people who have spent 200+ dollars and countless hours assembling a tyranid army, it is literally worth crying about.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 26, 2012