Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
About that /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache folder, when I clear it, opening folders takes a while again. It's re-populating that folder with icons again.

Denim Dude posted:

How long should the erasing procedure take? It's been going on 45 minutes now.

Erasing should be near-instant, I thought. How much data did you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Xenomorph posted:

About that /private/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.IconsCache folder, when I clear it, opening folders takes a while again. It's re-populating that folder with icons again.

Erasing should be near-instant, I thought. How much data did you have?

8GB Iphone4 with 2.1GB free

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Seems like something has gone wrong. I had 11GB of data on my 4S and like Xenomorph said, it was near-instant.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Is restoring the phone with ITunes using the 5.1.1 firmware I downloaded more or less the same thing? I want to get this thing as close to virgin as possible before i jailbreak it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Seems like something has gone wrong. I had 11GB of data on my 4S and like Xenomorph said, it was near-instant.

I wiped out 50gb on my iPad 3 in about 25 seconds.

If the 4S is currently jail broken I don't think the erase all works. At least it didn't when I tried it at the time on my jail broken 5.0.1 iPad 2.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

I wiped out 50gb on my iPad 3 in about 25 seconds.

If the 4S is currently jail broken I don't think the erase all works. At least it didn't when I tried it at the time on my jail broken 5.0.1 iPad 2.

Well I was using a tethered jailbreak so I rebooted the phone in to a non jailbroken state and tried again and it still seemed to be "stuck". I'll just do a fresh install of 5.1.1 in ITunes and hope for the best.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Denim Dude posted:

Well I was using a tethered jailbreak so I rebooted the phone in to a non jailbroken state and tried again and it still seemed to be "stuck". I'll just do a fresh install of 5.1.1 in ITunes and hope for the best.

Wait. If you' re on 5.1.1 tethered just install the Rocky whatever the gently caress its called package from Cydia.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

It was 5.1 which only has a tethered solution.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Ah yeah then definitely do an iTunes restore to 5.1.1 JB from there.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Everything went off without a hitch. Thanks all.

Edit: I imagine it doesn't matter if you save SHSH blobs before or after the jailbreak? I forgot to do tinyumbrella before I jailbroke it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Denim Dude posted:

Everything went off without a hitch. Thanks all.

Edit: I imagine it doesn't matter if you save SHSH blobs before or after the jailbreak? I forgot to do tinyumbrella before I jailbroke it.

Nah, you can save them whenever, as along as Apple is still signing them.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Is BigBoss down for anyone else? Can't download SBSettings or any of my other favorites.

eta: never mind, back up...

oldfan fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 26, 2012

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Is BigBoss down for anyone else? Can't download SBSettings or any of my other favorites.

Yeah same here. Getting a lot of errors saying packages can't be found.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
The Cydia repos can handle like, eight connections, tops - but they're being slammed by BILLIONS of connections every second.

You can try again now, or wait until things settle.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Absinthe 2.0.1 has crashed three times now for me. Has anyone had any success using it?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

No problems here and and according to the last couple pages a lot of people have had success. Do you have a different computer to try it on?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Denim Dude posted:

No problems here and and according to the last couple pages a lot of people have had success. Do you have a different computer to try it on?

Yeah, every time I try it on my laptop it gives me a "lockdown error -5" though. I have followed the directions exactly and now have a 5.1.1 stock 4S. I don't know why this wouldn't work! :mad:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Some sites are suggesting -5 is fixed by (another?) erase all content and settings, but based on what I've seen on Twitter sometimes its only fixed by trying another machine.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

Yeah, every time I try it on my laptop it gives me a "lockdown error -5" though. I have followed the directions exactly and now have a 5.1.1 stock 4S. I don't know why this wouldn't work! :mad:

I found this http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/05/25/absinthe-lockdown-error/ and also somewhere else a mention about someone switching to an administrator account on the computer fixed it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

tuyop posted:

I had that problem and removed the lock code from my phone and then it worked.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

tuyop posted:

Absinthe 2.0.1 has crashed three times now for me. Has anyone had any success using it?

Crashing for me every time, on my 27" iMac

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any jailbreak apps that allow you to swipe left/right to skip 30 seconds (or whatever) in audio and video playback?

I transfer TV shows (off my DVR) to my iPhone and I'd love to be able to swipe right a couple of times to skip 30 or 90 seconds, etc.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
So I'm an idiot and need some help and/or clarification.

I bought an iPhone 4 of Kijiji months ago, it was unlocked from some mall kiosk and allowed me to use my Telus SIM. Great. Some time went by and eventually I had it on a tethered jailbreak (5.1) from redsn0w. Everything was fine and well (minus iMessage not being able to be activated) and there was no issues.

For whatever reason, when this new tethered jailbreak came out via Absinthe 2.0, I saw online I could basically just restore to 5.1.1 from iTunes and be good. Idiot. I'm assuming I'd need to make a custom IPSW to preserve my baseband, which I didn't do. Now my iPhone is in the setup stage, on 5.1.1, with the invalid SIM error.

Now for the questions.

1. What, if anything, can I do now to fix this? I lost my custom IPSW's from the past in a HDD crash so that's no dice if anyone suggests it.

2. If I were to sell this phone, how do I advertise it? Locked to Telus? Unlocked? Previous owner was an idiot? I'm not sure.

3. I'm asking part 2 since I'm debating upgrading to a iPhone 4S and if I do I'll be buying one from Kijiji already locked to Telus.

If this is all stupid, I'm sorry. I'm just confused and need some direction.

:smith:

Edit: I should also mention this is extremely lovely and I feel like an idiot. Having no phone sucks, especially when you're not sure how bad you've hosed up.

Xithyl fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 26, 2012

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Any news for an unlock for 04.12.01?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Xithyl posted:

For whatever reason, when this new tethered jailbreak came out via Absinthe 2.0, I saw online I could basically just restore to 5.1.1 from iTunes and be good. Idiot. I'm assuming I'd need to make a custom IPSW to preserve my baseband, which I didn't do. Now my iPhone is in the setup stage, on 5.1.1, with the invalid SIM error.
You're pretty much but not totally hosed. There are new GeveySIMs that work with the 5.1.1 baseband.

http://jaxov.com/2012/04/unlock-iphone-4-ios-5-1-baseband-gevey-ultra-5-1/

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
My mail app has the icon for Calendar :(

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

dutchbstrd posted:

My mail app has the icon for Calendar :(

I wonder why with ALL the icon corruption issues with 5.0.x and 5.1.x that we haven't seen ANYTHING from the Dev Team addressing this.

"here's your jailbreak, sorry about the random memory and graphic corruptions lol"

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
First time ever jailbreaking my iPad(2). Worked just fine on the first try. I've seen a few "here's some cool stuff you should do now that you're free" sites, but anyone have any specific recommendations? Once I looked up a multi-tasking app (dear god, I can actually have a fully working alarm clock for once on an iPad?!) and how to send files to the iPad directly from the source, I'm out of needs to meet directly and could use some ideas for stuff worth doing that required jailbreaking.

nessin fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 26, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Well, looks like iPad 2,4s are left out of this one :(

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

I wonder why with ALL the icon corruption issues with 5.0.x and 5.1.x that we haven't seen ANYTHING from the Dev Team addressing this.

"here's your jailbreak, sorry about the random memory and graphic corruptions lol"

They probably just don't give a poo poo. Or they have no idea why it happens or how to fix it so they just ignore it.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
I was hoping that the "old" hdmi adapter would work on the new iPad now that the jailbreak is out, but I just tried it with Resupported and DisplayOut and it still didn't. Although Resupported removed the "Accessory not supported" popup. I really don't want to have to buy a new hdmi thing.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

frumpsnake posted:

You're pretty much but not totally hosed. There are new GeveySIMs that work with the 5.1.1 baseband.

http://jaxov.com/2012/04/unlock-iphone-4-ios-5-1-baseband-gevey-ultra-5-1/

So with this new GeveySIM, what would I need to do to get this thing operational again?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have an Apple TV 3 and a jailbroken iPad 3. What do I need to do in order to push video to my Apple TV that would normally not allow it?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

Xithyl posted:

So I'm an idiot and need some help and/or clarification.

I bought an iPhone 4 of Kijiji months ago, it was unlocked from some mall kiosk and allowed me to use my Telus SIM. Great. Some time went by and eventually I had it on a tethered jailbreak (5.1) from redsn0w. Everything was fine and well (minus iMessage not being able to be activated) and there was no issues.

Now for the questions.

1. What, if anything, can I do now to fix this? I lost my custom IPSW's from the past in a HDD crash so that's no dice if anyone suggests it.

2. If I were to sell this phone, how do I advertise it? Locked to Telus? Unlocked? Previous owner was an idiot? I'm not sure.

3. I'm asking part 2 since I'm debating upgrading to a iPhone 4S and if I do I'll be buying one from Kijiji already locked to Telus.

If this is all stupid, I'm sorry. I'm just confused and need some direction.

:smith:

Edit: I should also mention this is extremely lovely and I feel like an idiot. Having no phone sucks, especially when you're not sure how bad you've hosed up.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/iphone/ios-5-1-1-build-9b208-gsm-iphone-4/

Does this potentially change anything for my situation?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

So apple's pushed a no-number-change update to 5.1.1 GSM iphone 4's. I can't confirm if it breaks the JB or not but given it doesn't revise the number, I doubt it. I don't take any responsibility if it does, though.

You can't update to it once you're jailbroken, so if you have balls of steel update to it first then try the JB. If you do, let us know if it works!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Quick question before I start jailbreaking my 4S. Is there a way to preserve my 1.0.13 baseband or am I forced to upgrade it? Is there an upcoming unlock that uses the 5.0.1 firmware baseband?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

frumpsnake posted:

Typically once the unlock request is sent to Apple it takes a few days for it to hit the server.

If/once it goes through, you'll see this next time you plug in to iTunes:

(The official line is that you should "restore your phone", but that's never been the case for me.)

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, nothing changed in iOS 5, ie. there's no on-device message, it's an iTunes-only thing.

Well I just used redsn0w to make a custom 5.1.1 firmware without the BB update and upgraded my phone and while I didn't get that screen, my phone was unlocked from the get go and working with the SIM card I had stuck inside it. Was able to make calls and such so then I just hit restore again in iTunes and upgraded it to the official firmware (BB update and all) and what do you know, it worked! Now I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone running 5.1.1 and the newest 4.xxx baseband with custom SIM.

I know this is the jailbreak thread but I am really glad that this worked and that I'll never have to deal with another jailbreak again. I only JB'ed for ultrasn0w, everything else was optional. I miss the swipe up gesture of zephyr when I'm using my non-JB'd iPad but it's fine to not have to deal with the hassle of JB'ing and following JB news and so on.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I'm on jailbroken 5.0.1, will I lose all my text messages and photos or will those be restored after re-jailbreaking 5.1.1?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

Xithyl posted:

http://www.ijailbreak.com/iphone/ios-5-1-1-build-9b208-gsm-iphone-4/

Does this potentially change anything for my situation?

So in regards to this, how long before apple stops signing the older 5.1.1 official firmware? I've already got my phone done but I'm going to update my friends jailbroken Iphone 4 from 4.something to 5.1.1 tonight and I'm going to get a ton of poo poo if after I update it to 5.5.1 (9b206) I'm not able to re-jailbreak it.

After I just typed all that out I realized that when apple stops signing firmware it will just error out on trying to upgrade, so if I'm thinking correctly there Isn't really any danger of data loss for him, he will just be stuck with his jailbreak on his ancient firmware. That being said question still stands. I should at least have a day before they stop signing that older 5.1.1? Unless they decide to be bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Nam Taf posted:

You can't update to it once you're jailbroken, so if you have balls of steel update to it first then try the JB. If you do, let us know if it works!
I have a jailbroken GSM iPhone4 on 5.0.1 (9A405). Is this happening right now, meaning will I lose my window of opportunity soon/already?

• Locked thread