Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of low end street crime, do cops fire on you with 1 star in GTAIV? In SA I accidentally ran into a police car with my bicycle and the police opened fire before arresting me :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Iacen posted:

Back when the teaser was released, I had this idea of instead of being a common criminal, there would be more focus on building an empire. You'd start small, by forcing people to pay protection money and so on. As you get richer, the opportunities would expand too. You'd buy companies, security and so on.
Buy a little, scrawny medical company in the beginning and in the end of the story you'd have something that could rival Zaibatsu Pharmaceuticals.

It would be a crazy combination of a Tommy Vercetti/Claude Speed, Donald Love and perhaps Ken Rosenberg. Both intelligent, savvy and ruthless as hell.

This is one of the things that I thought The Godfather did really well. You could enter just about every building in the game and extort the owners with a minigame built around using the melee system to antagonize them without hitting their breaking point or killing them. It was ridiculously fun and addictive even though there were only about 3 building interiors.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Avocados posted:

Speaking of low end street crime, do cops fire on you with 1 star in GTAIV? In SA I accidentally ran into a police car with my bicycle and the police opened fire before arresting me :saddowns:

That because CJ is a dark skinned man in Los Angeles. Cops don't fire on you with one star in IV unless you run away when they're arresting you.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Avocados posted:

If you have one star in SA they'll shoot you if you have a gun equipped. Switch to a melee weapon and they'll just chase you.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

moms pubis posted:

If you have one star in SA they'll shoot you if you have a gun equipped. Switch to a melee weapon and they'll just chase you.

Once they start shooting they never stop (aside, I suppose, from if you get into a car despawn the cops without losing your wanted level and then find new ones.) That said, they won't shoot you until you get a second star or take out a gun.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Does anyone remember the joy of getting cops to accidentally open fire on innocent bystanders who may or may not also be packing and starting a crazy war on the streets ? I always tried to get the black hobo who talked about reptilians in GTA IV to get into a physical altercation with me until he accidentally swung on somebody else and got the police or other people after him.

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
Whoever it was that posted saying that they like the early points in the game when every bullet counts: I completely agree with you. There is something fun about having nothing but the pistol and the odd shotgun you may have stolen from a cop car early on in the game. I think Rockstar did a really great job with making it feel AWESOME when you unlock better weapons and have enough ammo to use them.

One thing I am really hoping that they'll add to GTA V is the Max Payne 3 weapon system. I think this would work really well in adding to the realism and the relevance of firearms in the game. I remember following GTA websites before the release of SA and there was a screenshot where a character was pulling something out of a trunk in a cutscene so everyone assumed that it would be a cool feature and I am glad it was included later in LA Noire. I just think that being able to toss a rocket launcher in the back of a car after a trip to ammunition/whatever would be a pretty cool feeling.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
For those of us who didn't play it, what was the Max Payne 3 weapon system?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Or they could do a sort of The Wire deal with two characters, a street thug and maybe a corrupt cop, switching back and forth. That would own.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

For those of us who didn't play it, what was the Max Payne 3 weapon system?
You could carry two one handed-guns and one two-handed gun. You could hold the two-handed gun in your other hand while using one one-handed. If you started duel-wielding then you had to drop the other gun.

Personally, I'd prefer the LA Noire system where you keep larger guns in the back of your car.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh, well then personally I'd prefer none of that crap and retaining the current system, though with an option to actually drop weapons to make flipping through less time consuming.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I wouldn't mind having a weapon system that restricts what you can carry, but changing what you currently have had better be a drat great deal easier and shorter than "physically drive to one of three spots on the massive map, walk between weapon options and get a binary yes/no choice for each one." Even calling up your friend with the gun car got tedious by the time you had to stock up for each mission.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They could also revamp the melee combat system to be more useful and varied in cases when you have no weapons available. And they could go somewhere with the ability to pick up random objects in the game world and hurl them at people for improvised weaponry, it's already in GTAIV but I'm pretty sure there's no difference whatsoever whether you throw a paper cup or a brick at someone.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh, well then personally I'd prefer none of that crap and retaining the current system, though with an option to actually drop weapons to make flipping through less time consuming.
I'd be shocked if they don't have a weapon wheel this time around.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

They could also revamp the melee combat system to be more useful and varied in cases when you have no weapons available. And they could go somewhere with the ability to pick up random objects in the game world and hurl them at people for improvised weaponry, it's already in GTAIV but I'm pretty sure there's no difference whatsoever whether you throw a paper cup or a brick at someone.
It made for some funny stuff when I first saw that, but the throwables do need some sort of 'damage per wait'
Why not expand on that and allow me to pick up junk off the streets to use as clubs? I'd love to hit someone with a broom because I was too lazy to get a bat or knife.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

That reminds me. One thing I would really like in GTA games is the ability to drop off picked up ammo and guns at your safehouses/savepoints, especially when you're switching to a better weapon for a given slot. Kind of like how weapons used to spawn at safehouses for grabbing 25 hidden trinkets, except placed by you and not unlimited.

Also playing SA some more again, I really appreciate the way GTA IV autosaves without requiring you to go back to an actual save point after each mission. I mean sure, I would have liked to buy a bunch of extra safehouses in IV, but I'm also glad I didn't NEED to like in SA.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I would love a more max payne-ish weapon system. 2 handguns and a single rifle/shotgun, low ammo counts. Either dual wield and drop the rifle, use the rifle, or a single handgun. Because let's face it, in GTA4 you only use the most powerful gun at all times, there is no reason whatsoever to use the pistol after the first few missions for instance. A more fluid dynamic is cool, so you can't just mow down waves of enemies, but you have to improvise and gather poo poo from your kills. A real choice between an assault rifle or an RPG is also cool.

And then add carrying weapons in the trunk of your car, and an arsenal at your crib and it will be awesome!

One of the coolest things in MP3 is that you can actually see everything you have on you, would love to see that in GTA. Starting a mission in a purple tracksuit is funny, but having your exterior reflect your equipment is more inline with the whole storytelling experience Rockstar wants.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I used the pistol a lot because it felt more realistic and cinematic to be running around with a pistol that I could put in my jacket than a ton of weapons. Though I had an MP5 too that I would bring on tough missions.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I used the pistol a lot too, mainly because most mooks would go down with a single headshot anyway and it gave me a lot of opportunities to use the environment to my advantage, say if an enemy was standing near a ledge - shoot him in the kneecap and watch him tumble down. Very satisfying. I did the same thing in RDR; Schofield all the way.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Samopsa posted:

A more fluid dynamic is cool, so you can't just mow down waves of enemies, but you have to improvise and gather poo poo from your kills.

Yeah who the hell wants to mow down waves of enemies right? You guys are ridiculous and you're ruining my favorite game franchise! I say MORE weapons! Give me that RDR weapon wheel and let me go nuts. If they want to make things more serious do it in the story. GTA's are my favorite games because of the sandbox environment and how much fun I can have after the story is long over. Please don't destroy the longevity just to create some false tension in the first 10 hours of gameplay.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I also like the first half of the games, but good luck letting that poo poo stick in any capacity.

Speaking of spergin stuff, I've been playing the LCPD first response mod (0.95 RC2) and it's quite fun to experience natural liberty city. To this day I am still finding little alcoves in the city, also found a disused EL train track which was exactly next to a little plaza park. I can't imagine planning the city, the hours spent on work must of been amazing.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

They should just put in a Sandbox Mode (maybe disable it until you beat Story Mode if they are feeling stingy) where you can do whatever the gently caress you want, spawn vehicles, etc... I mean, why not? I can literally think of no downside, aside from increased time/cost of development. Even then, I see this as a fairly easy addition (no need to generate additional art assets or anything like that).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Un-l337-Pork posted:

They should just put in a Sandbox Mode (maybe disable it until you beat Story Mode if they are feeling stingy) where you can do whatever the gently caress you want, spawn vehicles, etc... I mean, why not? I can literally think of no downside, aside from increased time/cost of development. Even then, I see this as a fairly easy addition (no need to generate additional art assets or anything like that).

Crackdown had a mode like this. It was a lot of fun spawning a shitload of barrels in a pile and luring people into them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was just working on my car with my dad, and for some reason the gas tank cover caught my eye, and I remembered that if you shot those in San Andreas, they'd explode after one direct hit :v:

Was that the case in GTAIV too? I don't remember now. That should be standard in all Grand Theft Auto games.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was just working on my car with my dad, and for some reason the gas tank cover caught my eye, and I remembered that if you shot those in San Andreas, they'd explode after one direct hit :v:

Was that the case in GTAIV too? I don't remember now. That should be standard in all Grand Theft Auto games.

You couldn't blow up the car in GTA IV with a single shot to the gas cap. However, shooting up the general area of the gas tank will result in fire coming out of the back tire wells and an eventual explosion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Un-l337-Pork posted:

They should just put in a Sandbox Mode (maybe disable it until you beat Story Mode if they are feeling stingy) where you can do whatever the gently caress you want, spawn vehicles, etc... I mean, why not?

Not good enough?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Installed GTA3 PC now that I have a good enough PC to run it and I'm running into some really bad graphical problems, any ideas?

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Finlay hosed around with the video editor in GTAIV PC. Took clips of some of my favorite things to do in game and added fancy rear end camera work. The editor is pretty drat impressive despite some annoying limitations. Hope it gets a revamp in V.

Long panning cuts and gratuitous slo-mo ahoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5yKG9N9-gk

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Reive posted:

Installed GTA3 PC now that I have a good enough PC to run it and I'm running into some really bad graphical problems, any ideas?

Try some other games, normally that kind of artifacting means your video card is hosed, but if it's just GTA3 it's probably something else.

Reive
May 21, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Try some other games, normally that kind of artifacting means your video card is hosed, but if it's just GTA3 it's probably something else.

It's just GTA3, and it only seems to happen on particular objects, like the hospital and 8-ball's face.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Jedrick posted:

Finlay hosed around with the video editor in GTAIV PC. Took clips of some of my favorite things to do in game and added fancy rear end camera work. The editor is pretty drat impressive despite some annoying limitations. Hope it gets a revamp in V.

Long panning cuts and gratuitous slo-mo ahoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5yKG9N9-gk

It really is wonderful. With SimpleTrainer you can turn gamespeed down, which additional slow-mo will magnify.

Wish a thread for making videos was still around. I don't know if the one in YCS was lost when it the forum was axed or what.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I completely agree about the weapon cache in GTAs being too big and ruining immersion. The way I ended up reconciling it was by RPing Niko as an orphan from the war who had nightmares, and any time I accidentally struck a pedestrian or another vehicle I would retcon the entire scene into being a dream sequence. When I played through missions I only used what was available to me in the environment (usually paper cups until I could get hold of a gun, and then I'd aim wildly because I RP Niko to not actually know how to use one--face it, most people in NYC don't), because I feel like Niko was a soft, gentle, almost "beta male" fellow at heart and never intends to get into violence, it just sort of finds him. Along that line of thinking, if you're the sort who always is found by violence, you won't be carrying weapons, so that's right out. I also imagine Niko wouldn't know how to drive stick, because nobody drives stick in Manhattan and yet many of the sports cars in the game obviously have those or paddle shifters, so I stuck with Roman's sedan for the entire game.

For GTAV I hope there's a hardcore mode where you have a hunger meter and can buy groceries but have to manually pick them out and control your diet. I feel as though while this was reflected accurately and really "made" GTA:SA in my eyes, in GTAIV it was solely lacking because here Niko is this skinny guy and he's always eating hot dogs. To me that got sort of depressing, perhaps because it hits so close to home, to at 12 noon every day have to hit a vendor and eat three hot dogs so my character doesn't starve (this was just a challenge I made up--originally it was breakfast, lunch and dinner but the lack of breakfast burritos or sausage McMuffins ruined my breakfast immersion). I would also like to see wanted levels that don't just go away, and maybe the opportunity to commit white collar crimes like tax evasion and copyright infringement to add an air of sophistication. I understand these not being in GTA:SA, for example, and to be truthful I had difficulty really getting into character in that game, but for GTAV and beyond I'd sort of like the option to have it get like the later seasons of The Wire in the endgame and maybe buy off congressmen.

I also agree with everyone who's advocated a female protagonist, or even an amibiguously gendered/LBGT one. It's time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

I completely agree about the weapon cache in GTAs being too big and ruining immersion. The way I ended up reconciling it was by RPing Niko as an orphan from the war who had nightmares, and any time I accidentally struck a pedestrian or another vehicle I would retcon the entire scene into being a dream sequence. When I played through missions I only used what was available to me in the environment (usually paper cups until I could get hold of a gun, and then I'd aim wildly because I RP Niko to not actually know how to use one--face it, most people in NYC don't), because I feel like Niko was a soft, gentle, almost "beta male" fellow at heart and never intends to get into violence, it just sort of finds him. Along that line of thinking, if you're the sort who always is found by violence, you won't be carrying weapons, so that's right out. I also imagine Niko wouldn't know how to drive stick, because nobody drives stick in Manhattan and yet many of the sports cars in the game obviously have those or paddle shifters, so I stuck with Roman's sedan for the entire game.

For GTAV I hope there's a hardcore mode where you have a hunger meter and can buy groceries but have to manually pick them out and control your diet. I feel as though while this was reflected accurately and really "made" GTA:SA in my eyes, in GTAIV it was solely lacking because here Niko is this skinny guy and he's always eating hot dogs. To me that got sort of depressing, perhaps because it hits so close to home, to at 12 noon every day have to hit a vendor and eat three hot dogs so my character doesn't starve (this was just a challenge I made up--originally it was breakfast, lunch and dinner but the lack of breakfast burritos or sausage McMuffins ruined my breakfast immersion). I would also like to see wanted levels that don't just go away, and maybe the opportunity to commit white collar crimes like tax evasion and copyright infringement to add an air of sophistication. I understand these not being in GTA:SA, for example, and to be truthful I had difficulty really getting into character in that game, but for GTAV and beyond I'd sort of like the option to have it get like the later seasons of The Wire in the endgame and maybe buy off congressmen.

I also agree with everyone who's advocated a female protagonist, or even an amibiguously gendered/LBGT one. It's time.

Everything it his post except the last sentence sounds like it would be the worst game. Literally, the worst game ever made. Like, ET levels of bad. I really, really hope that it's a joke, but it's right that that level where I can't tell if you're serious here or not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Niko, my cahsin! We need to go eat lunch or your blood sugar will get low and you will pass out on our important mission. Don't forget to pick up your blood pressure medicine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How the heck do I keep my sex appeal up? I look pretty well dressed, having the best clothes San Fierro has to offer. (Still locked out of Las Venturas). I also have maxed muscle and very little fat, but my sex appeal is around 25% still.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hahah, his breakfast immersion. I also like his Niko being unable to drive stick after living his entire life in Eastern Europe. But I don't think it was a serious post.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Avocados posted:

How the heck do I keep my sex appeal up? I look pretty well dressed, having the best clothes San Fierro has to offer. (Still locked out of Las Venturas). I also have maxed muscle and very little fat, but my sex appeal is around 25% still.

Just take an expensive car to your dates (a bullet always spawns in a spot on a side road between the garage and the airport) and don't crash it on the way. Dating has a few weird bugs in general and you should just read a faq about it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Avocados posted:

If this is for the woman at the gun range, you'll want the best motorcycle you can find with no dings. Drive it right up to her and hop off then ask right away.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I think some of them are in areas locked off to you right now anyway but getting all the pearls also removes all the requirements for dating each girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
I think rockstar realized before GTA IV was released that a fuckton of crazy poo poo everywhere is cool, but making the game world feel more real and interactive (cover system, car trunks, physics, euphoria) is more important. I'd gently caress around in a town the size of the original liberty city if it was fun to drive around in and everything felt pretty real, and had a solid combat system.

So, I figure that's the direction they're going to keep taking their games while still finding a way to keep their characteristic humor in the game somehow. (which isn't nearly as good as it was in ps2 days)I miss the great radio ads of the past. http://youtu.be/1U4mvzp9Q5s?t=5s They somewhat made up for it by the good TV bits featuring Bas Ruten and once in a while there was a funny ad, but overall radio in GTA IV was nowhere near as the past games.

These modern era games just can't be as funny because they're not ready to be fully parodied. Our generation parodies itself and its own fads too fast for rockstar to try to me-too them when release finally happens. So most of the radio humor is GTA IV is bland at best.

• Locked thread