Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

I have some pork ribs to make tomorrow, in the oven. I don't like BBQ sauce. I have all the spices and also liquid smoke. What should I do?

Dry rub, then make a braising liquid with stock, maybe some soy, a little liquid smoke, and whatever spices. Wrap them in two layers of tin foil, seal up one end, dump in yo juice, then seal the other end. Put in a 275 oven for 2 or 3 hours (on a sheet pan just in case there's leakage). Finish under the broiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

I have some pork ribs to make tomorrow, in the oven. I don't like BBQ sauce. I have all the spices and also liquid smoke. What should I do?

Rub it with chile powder, fresh garlic, black pepper, onion powder or make an onion paste in a food processor, bit of thyme, bit of cumin (not too much), and salt. On a sheet pan, set the ribs on two sheets of aluminum foil and place two more sheets on top. Crimp 3 of the 4 the edges tightly next to the meat to seal moisture in. Mix together some beer or white wine, apple cider vinegar, a bit of brown sugar to temper the acid, and a few drops of liquid smoke, and a bay leaf if you feel like it. Lift up the side with the uncrimped edge and pour in the braising liquid. Braise in a 225F oven for 2.5-3hrs or until the meat starts to flake but still barely adheres to the bone. Remove from oven, drain liquid carefully, place ribs on baking rack and broil to set the exterior slightly. You can also make a sauce with the remaining liquid by reducing it. You can go a lot of ways with it, make it super sweet, add tomato, worcestershire, but if you don't like BBQ sauce, I wouldn't do tomato and worcestershire. If you like sweet ribs, a brown sugar glaze would be good. Just make a bit of it with some brown sugar and a bit of the braising liquid, brush on the ribs before broiling, careful not to burn.

Edit: D'oh beaten.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I dunno your barbecue sauce background but there are a lot of different kinds, if you've only had the standard thick Kansas City stuff you should explore the others sometime, see if one's to your tastes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got some fresh yeast from the bakers but have way too much. The recipe called for 15g and I've got 200. How long does it last before I need to toss it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I've got some fresh yeast from the bakers but have way too much. The recipe called for 15g and I've got 200. How long does it last before I need to toss it?

Technically, properly stored, yeast never completely dies off, there is always some likelihood that some is still alive. That likelihood just drops exponentially. What you could always do is make a bread starter with the leftover and let it go dormant, if you're familiar with working with starters. If you're good about it, you'll never have to buy yeast again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'll never bake enough to make use of it. I'll see how it goes though.

I've got pork shoulder being smoked and bbq sauce that I'm reducing a bit. Unfortunately its way too sweet. I followed SubG's recipe mainly from page 139 of this thread but I think I added too much molasses. Whats a good way of recovering it? It tastes quite nice otherwise.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Drink and Fight posted:

Garlic parmesan sauce would be good on pork ribs, or a sweet fruit glaze type sauce.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

branedotorg posted:

Correct ingredients, i'd say it's the right one for Ma Po Dofu.
And many other delicious things! Chili bean paste goes in many things! :eng101:

Scott Bakula posted:

I've bought some Sichuan peppercorns but I've never cooked with them before. I know roughly what they're like from various threads here but does anyone have a fairly simple/easy to prepare recipe that makes use of them so they're noticable?
One of my favorite things to do with leftover chicken is "hot and numbing chicken slices."

Slice up some chicken and the white part of some scallions. In some (about 3tbsp) of light soy, stir 4tsp sugar until dissolved, then add 2tsp sesame oil and 3-6tsp chili oil (only you know how hot it is). Put the scallion and chicken on a plate, sprinkle on some toasted ground Sichuan pepper, and pour on the sauce.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Is there a not dumb way of doing bacon wrapped scallops? I've never actually made them beyond lovely frozen product, so is there a good way to cook them if the bacon and scallop are already attached? If it's really impossible I'll take the "cook the bacon then wrap it" advice, but I'm mostly curious about doing them already attached.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
What recipes would you guys recommend for someone who doesn't get home from work until midnight? I eat a couple small meals at work, and I'm hungry by the time I get home, but don't want a complicated recipe. All I've been doing is tossing a chicken pattie or two in the oven with a handful of French fries and calling it a night, but that gets old fast. I'm not a big salad person either. I prefer hot foods.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

What recipes would you guys recommend for someone who doesn't get home from work until midnight? I eat a couple small meals at work, and I'm hungry by the time I get home, but don't want a complicated recipe. All I've been doing is tossing a chicken pattie or two in the oven with a handful of French fries and calling it a night, but that gets old fast. I'm not a big salad person either. I prefer hot foods.

Omelettes or anything else involving frying eggs, grilled cheese or quesadillas or any other griddled sandwich with cheese, sear off a steak, carbonara, fried rice, fried noodles, chopped salad, anything stir fried assuming you have the appropriate gear, sautee up some seafood, chilled soba noodles and tsuyu, chilled wheat noodles and lao gan ma with shredded chicken and julienned cucumber, etc.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

I'd say prepare a good portion of soup/stew sometime that you're not working and just reheat it after work. Soups and stews reheat very well, some even might be better after a sit in the fridge for a while. Just throw the soup in a pan until its nice & warm or in the microwave. You can eat it with some nice bread or some other starchy side for a good meal.

If you've got a crock pot there might be some recipes you could put in all day while you're at work.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Prepping for a BBQ tomorrow. Will I have any problem fully making my pasta salad today, then just covering the bowl in foil for tomorrow? Or should I keep the dressing separate until its go time (just finished cooking/cutting up everything)?

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Moey posted:

Prepping for a BBQ tomorrow. Will I have any problem fully making my pasta salad today, then just covering the bowl in foil for tomorrow? Or should I keep the dressing separate until its go time (just finished cooking/cutting up everything)?

I prefer making it a day in advance so it has time for flavors to meld together. Unless you already overcooked the noodles they won't turn to mush or anything like that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Hawkeye posted:

I prefer making it a day in advance so it has time for flavors to meld together. Unless you already overcooked the noodles they won't turn to mush or anything like that.

Hmmm. I wouldn't say they are mush currently, but not undercooked.

Meh, Ill throw it all together now and let it "ferment" covered in the fridge overnight.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I finally got some good pork butt from a butcher, and left it to marinate overnight in some orange juice and mango juice amoung other things to try and make some cuban sandwiches (paseos in seattle anyone?). The recipe originally called for searing the meat then 45 minutes at 300 degrees with the meat tented in some foil, but the writer of the recipe said it wasn't very fall of the bone tender after that long and they did it for 2 hours, and then another two hours uncovered basting every 15 minutes with the same marinade I left it in overnight.

Two questions, how do those cooking times see to you? Can I easily overcook it or does it just get more tender? And anything weird about basting using the marinade I used with it in the fridge overnight?

edit: forgot to add does it matter if I use pyrex or cast iron dutch oven or ceramic dutch oven?

edit2: when tenting with foil, does that mean just lightly drape foil over the meat so it doesn't brown up top too fast? Tuck in foil or let it sit there?

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 26, 2012

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Does anyone know of a good, detailed resource for making milk chocolate from unsweetened chocolate?

More to the point, I'd like to adapt such a recipe to be sugar-free for a friend with gestational diabetes. Store-bought "sugar free" chocolate has maltitol, which still spikes blood sugar and is a strong laxative. I bought practically every pregnancy-safe non-caloric sweetener so I might find a combination that doesn't suck. I can also get ingredients like soy lecithin or inulins.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

By the way, I meant to post the results of my beef short rib smoking.

They were awesome.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Noni posted:

Does anyone know of a good, detailed resource for making milk chocolate from unsweetened chocolate?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/cocoa-syrup-recipe/index.html

That plus milk?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I have a few questions. I need to reduce my boyfriends sodium intake (Hypertension II).

Could anyone recommend a red marinara pasta sauce recipe? We like our sauce smooth and I destroy blenders so I want to use the paste/puree method. We are vegetarian so no meat. We prefer not to use dairy but that's not a necessity. I'm mainly looking to make a simple "standard" sauce (garlic, onion, basil, oregano, sugar, pepper, etc...) not really anything else but I am open to other spices. No added salt.. I know canned paste/puree has more sodium than using all fresh ingredients, but it's still less than jarred.

Also how long does homemade sauce last? I've always just went by the "smell it to see if it's good" method, this will help me determine how much to make at a time.

Last question. Can anyone recommend what they think is the best paste and puree (most flavorful)? The more recommended the better as I will be comparing their sodium content. Looking at my canned stuff rack I know Tuttorosso is available, most likely Cento too.

Sorry I know this is rather specific, but I'm asking because I've been having trouble finding a recipe that will work. Plus I also don't want to just take a recipe and not add the salt that it says, as it may not taste right.

Many thanks in advance.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 27, 2012

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Technically, properly stored, yeast never completely dies off, there is always some likelihood that some is still alive. That likelihood just drops exponentially. What you could always do is make a bread starter with the leftover and let it go dormant, if you're familiar with working with starters. If you're good about it, you'll never have to buy yeast again.

Fresh yeast, that is yeast that is in a block that is sort of like crumbly play-do will get moldy as gently caress if you leave it for too long.
It is supposed to freeze well but I've never tried it personally. I was always told if you are going to freeze it to do it in little packets about the size you would normally use. So when you need to use it you don't have to try and chip a chunk off of a frozen solid block

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Sorry, I meant solid milk chocolate bars, not chocolate milk.

However, if I fail at this, I do suppose I'll be making an awful lot of chocolate milk.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Noni posted:

Sorry, I meant solid milk chocolate bars, not chocolate milk.

However, if I fail at this, I do suppose I'll be making an awful lot of chocolate milk.

Honestly, unless you're a serious chocolate hobbyist, you're not going to make a great milk chocolate bar at home. Instead, I would suggest you play around with a truffle recipe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

RazorBunny posted:

By the way, I meant to post the results of my beef short rib smoking.

They were awesome.

Wanna eat those ribs.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I finally got some good pork butt from a butcher, and left it to marinate overnight in some orange juice and mango juice amoung other things to try and make some cuban sandwiches (paseos in seattle anyone?). The recipe originally called for searing the meat then 45 minutes at 300 degrees with the meat tented in some foil, but the writer of the recipe said it wasn't very fall of the bone tender after that long and they did it for 2 hours, and then another two hours uncovered basting every 15 minutes with the same marinade I left it in overnight.

Two questions, how do those cooking times see to you? Can I easily overcook it or does it just get more tender? And anything weird about basting using the marinade I used with it in the fridge overnight?

It's really difficult to overcook pork shoulder. It'll just get more tender, but eventually it'll just pull apart, so if you're looking to slice it like a roast, don't go too long.

As for the basting, it really depends on how long you baste it: if you're basting it with reserved marinade right before you take it out, that's a bad idea. The whole process is a bad idea, really. If you really want to do it, just reserve some marinade before you start the marination process and use that.

edit: forgot to add does it matter if I use pyrex or cast iron dutch oven or ceramic dutch oven?

Nope.

edit2: when tenting with foil, does that mean just lightly drape foil over the meat so it doesn't brown up top too fast? Tuck in foil or let it sit there?

Yeah, if the recipe is asking you to tent it with foil, you just need to loosely cover the meat.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
I'm pretty lazy, and end up leaving oil/fat in my cast iron pan for days(maybe a week). Is this bad for the seasoning and/or bad for my health? Of course I clean it out, and then just soak boiling water in it for a few minutes, but no soap.

Just want to make sure I'm not killing myself here, or something

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Happy Abobo posted:

It's really difficult to overcook pork shoulder. It'll just get more tender, but eventually it'll just pull apart, so if you're looking to slice it like a roast, don't go too long.

As for the basting, it really depends on how long you baste it: if you're basting it with reserved marinade right before you take it out, that's a bad idea. The whole process is a bad idea, really. If you really want to do it, just reserve some marinade before you start the marination process and use that.

The recipe called for saving all the marinade and putting it in the dish with the pork while cooking, weird?

And sorry missed this no, going for pulled sandwiches.

Here I'll make this much easier: http://userealbutter.com/2011/11/10/paseo-cuban-roast-pork-sandwich-recipe/

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 27, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Abobo posted:

As a supplement to this, there is a period of time where you you will definitely think it is overcooked. It will go from raw, to rare, to mid well, to paper, to a brick, to a house foundation, to a brick, and then eventually start turning into what you know as pulled pork. Keep the faith! It will come around. 2 hrs tented seems a bit low to my estimates, I would think more like 3 hrs.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Turkeybone posted:

Is there a not dumb way of doing bacon wrapped scallops? I've never actually made them beyond lovely frozen product, so is there a good way to cook them if the bacon and scallop are already attached? If it's really impossible I'll take the "cook the bacon then wrap it" advice, but I'm mostly curious about doing them already attached.

Quoting myself because I have to go buy them soon.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

Quoting myself because I have to go buy them soon.

Only way I've made passable bacon wrapped scallops was to steam the bacon first to render most of the fat out, then hit the grill quickly to just cook the scallops through

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What's the best way to cook corn still in the husk? I don't have a grill/a way of grilling it, so I figured I'd ask you guys. Also, I don't want to boil it. Thanks

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lullabee posted:

What's the best way to cook corn still in the husk? I don't have a grill/a way of grilling it, so I figured I'd ask you guys. Also, I don't want to boil it. Thanks

Steam it or toss it in the oven

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Casu Marzu posted:

Steam it or toss it in the oven

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure. Just gonna throw it in, husk and all. Here's to hoping it doesn't suck.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Peel back the husk partway and remove all the silk beforehand, it's a pain in the rear end to take out once it's cooked.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Peel back the husk partway and remove all the silk beforehand, it's a pain in the rear end to take out once it's cooked.

Is it? I never had issues peeling the silk off of grilled or roasted corn.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

RazorBunny posted:

Wish I knew this before I cooked it, haha. Though, it wasn't too bad. I'll have to remember it next time.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Only way I've made passable bacon wrapped scallops was to steam the bacon first to render most of the fat out, then hit the grill quickly to just cook the scallops through

Meh yeah I'll just have to wing it. Okay next question, and meh this seems like a no brainer but for the logistics.

So I'm cooking tenderloin, and of course it'd be a better presentation if I did it whole. Now I have loins here at my house, and the place we're doing dinner at is about 15-20m away. I'd rather cook the tenderloin at my place first and then just bring it back up over there, but beyond just the drive they also want to do apps and salad and such (I much prefer to serve it all at once rather than course it out -- it's a family dinner for a friend so I think they'd be weirded out if I did it TOO professionally).

So my ideal plan is to roast this thing at home, drive over there, fire up the apps (30m or so), and then make on with the dinner. I have other stuff to fire too, so I'd rather make the beef fire and forget.

I know it's kind of shady on the time-temp scale, but I've also worked in restaurants which are just as shady, heh. Can I roast this thing and then bring it back up to temp 90m later?

What are some alternatives: s
-sear it at home, finish at the venue.
-Finish at home, cut into steaks and just brown each side at the venue. :iiam:

edit: meh isn't tenderloin just going to take 40m at 400 anyway? Maybe I should just do it there and stop being a babby.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 27, 2012

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
I'm making burgers today and I have a variety of meats (beef, pork and lamb) and I'm thinking of mixing all three together, obviously I want beef to be the main meat here but I'm wondering about the proportions of the other kind of meat.

Am I being stupid by wanting to combine all three together? I'll be making diner style burgers not thick burgers if you are wondering.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

The recipe called for saving all the marinade and putting it in the dish with the pork while cooking, weird?

And sorry missed this no, going for pulled sandwiches.

Here I'll make this much easier: http://userealbutter.com/2011/11/10/paseo-cuban-roast-pork-sandwich-recipe/

Oh, ok, I think I misunderstood you: the recipe is telling you to braise the meat in the marinade: when it says to baste the pork with the marinade, it means the braising liquid. There's no problem with that at all.

Also, holy poo poo that link. Totally starving, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Is it? I never had issues peeling the silk off of grilled or roasted corn.

Part of it is my own impatience - I try to serve corn straight off the grill/out of the oven/from the smoker and usually it's too hot to easily shuck the silk off without burning myself. If you let it cool down I don't think it's much more difficult than removing it from raw corn, if at all.

I usually pull the husk back, remove all the silk, then rub the corn with a little oil and some fresh black pepper before pulling the husk back over. Then again, when I'm feeling lazy I buy pre-shucked corn and cook it in the microwave. It's a pretty forgiving food.