Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Based on your other posts you just seem to be a reprehensible person in a bad place, so congrats on being King/Queen Turd of poo poo Mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CardiacEnzymes
Mar 27, 2010
Do you despise foreign-born patients as much as you despise your foreign-trained coworkers?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

breebellucci posted:

I'm not sure where you guys work at but I live and work near Washington DC and there is a huge foreign population here.

I work with nurses that did not receive the level of education I received, there's no loving way. Their nursing practice and personal standards regarding patient care are the worst I've ever seen outside of a nursing home. I realize that it's racist and irrational to blanket a whole continent as incompetent because sure there are a few nurses that do care and continue to learn and grow. But the majority of foreign nurses that I have encountered have in no way received the level of education that I have, there's just no loving way, none.

Tell me how as a new graduate nurse three years ago I was the best nurse on the entire unit? With nurses from every African nation and 5, 10, 20+ years of nursing experience. I'm not going to continue to argue this because it's largely personal opinion. I agree that if I still lived in Delaware that I wouldn't feel so strongly, because there aren't as many foreign nurses in Delaware and the majority of nurses that I worked with there received Bachelors degrees from reputable American Universities.

Are you going to tell me that there is no difference between nurses who receive a BSN from a competitive and reputable University versus those who go to a community college and bang out an ASN? gently caress off.

gently caress you, the community college I'm going to has not only the highest NCLEX pass rate of the entire community college district, but is also higher than 3/4 of the major universities here. Talk to any of the 15 people that didn't make it though Block 2 about "banging out" that ADN. I've just about put my entire life on hold to get through this measly community college program, so you can gently caress right the hell off.

Never mind the hospital I'll be doing my peds rotation at no longer allows students to pass meds, because they recently had four med errors within 48 hours, made by your prestigious University students.

Zeo
Oct 15, 2009

CardiacEnzymes posted:

Do you despise foreign-born patients as much as you despise your foreign-trained coworkers?

I'm glad someone else thinks the same thing. Obviously his (superior) nursing program didn't have enough Sociology classes.

ghostwriter80
May 10, 2012

CardiacEnzymes posted:

Nope, I love all my patients. In fact, I'm probably a better nurse than you in real life. However, online I can vent as much as I want and say what I'm really feeling so kiss my rear end.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying anything about any specific race. My point is that the foreign-born and foreign trained nurses that I work with currently, and have worked with at other hospitals, are much more dangerous and less apt at their jobs than their American trained, English-as-a-first-language coworkers. I don't give a poo poo what you say. Sure there are exceptions to the rule both ways but who has time to delineate when lives are on the line?

I have a problem with nurses who don't give a poo poo, or don't know enough to give a poo poo, or don't care. It especially bothers me when they can't speak or understand English to the point where it becomes down right dangerous. You don't know what I've been through just like I don't know what you've been through. But don't act like you don't generalize and base your opinions off of your life experiences, we all do, I'm just not proud enough to hold back on an anonymous internet forum.

Sorry I offended all the ADN nurses, hat's off, apparently you get the same exact education for 1/4 of the price. Who knew. Like I said, have fun going back to school for your BSN anyway.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Hey buddy what's up with your obsession with pregnant beast rape fanfic? Also you are not and will never be a good nurse, don't try to fool yourself. Enjoy your dead end job and your dead end life. I really feel sorry for anybody you have to come in contact with, patient or otherwise, because they will know the subpar care that you can only provide. Seriously quit now, because you will only make every other health care professional look bad, you xenophobic, backwards sack of poo poo.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

breebellucci posted:

Nope, I love all my patients. In fact, I'm probably a better nurse than you in real life.

Hahahaha, just leave already. What are you, twelve? Could your daddy beat me up too?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Man this thread turned ugly quick. Bree, you seem a little pissed off at nursing in general. You should also know you're coming across as that guy who is king of mediocrity mountain and wants to poo poo all over everyone else while remaining oblivious to the very modest nature of his own achievement.

You work in acute rehab, dude. Most nurses would rather fellate a shotgun than set foot in your unit. That doesn't make you a badass - it makes you a dude working where most nurses would never even send a resume. Congratulations on being (in your own estimation) the best of the desperate.

How you've convinced yourself that you're qualified to sneer at ADNs is completely beyond me.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 23, 2012

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Sheep-Goats posted:

Or DO vs MD.

Immigrants rule though and if I had to choose between a hospital of just immigrants or just natives I'd take the immigrants every time. Not because they're better or worse but just because they're less likely to be insufferably character-less boring ninnies.

The same poo poo against foreign physicians gets posted in premed forums. Foreign colleagues have passed the same licensing standards to which we're all are held and have jumped through a lot of hoops we never have to think about.

Also a "third world" nurse is unlikely to have self-published erotica such as

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

The same poo poo against foreign physicians gets posted in premed forums. Foreign colleagues have passed the same licensing standards to which we're all are held and have jumped through a lot of hoops we never have to think about.

Also a "third world" nurse is unlikely to have self-published erotica such as

:drat:
That puts a whole new spin on "I love all my patients".

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Man this thread turned ugly quick. Bree, you seem a little pissed off at nursing in general. You should also know you're coming across as that guy who is king of mediocrity mountain and wants to poo poo all over everyone else while remaining oblivious to the very modest nature of his own achievement.

You work in acute rehab, dude. Most nurses would rather fellate a shotgun than set foot in your unit. That doesn't make you a badass - it makes you a dude working where most nurses would never even send a resume. Congratulations on being (in your own estimation) the best of the desperate.

How you've convinced yourself that you're qualified to sneer at ADNs is completely beyond me.

Hey, I work acute rehab and aren't an rear end in a top hat. :(

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

In other news, one more year and I'll be an RN :toot:
I've got a couple of friends who are in the compressed 4th year, which apparently is even tougher than it sounds. They have a practical skills test weekly (IV's, dealing with a patient dying...) weekly. However, they don't get time to practice the skills because the labs are all booked up with people being tested! And they are also recorded on video so you get to see how much you screw up.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Weebly posted:

Hey, I work acute rehab and aren't an rear end in a top hat. :(

Sorry, was only trying to make him feel like one :(.

It was his attitude that annoyed me, not where he worked. Acute rehab is a less competitive branch of nursing with a reputation for being task oriented with most of the difficulty coming from a time-management standpoint. For the non-nurses, that's code for: "endless back breaking labor." A lot of folks run screaming away from it for exactly that reason. If you're lucky enough to work for one of those units in a place that's fun, well staffed and doesn't work you to death, that's awesome. There's actually one of those at my hospital, and it was the first I'd ever seen like it. Most that I've seen have real trouble keeping people on and end up having to hire a lot of nurses and other staff that would not be hired elsewhere.

It's just a weird platform to stand from if you're going to post like he was.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 24, 2012

leb388
Nov 25, 2005

My home planet is far away and long since gone.
It's weird how some nurses get frustrated and try to bring down other nurses. I've never seen another career with so much lateral violence.

I love acute rehab but the beauty of nursing is that there are so many different fields to work in. Putting down nurses for having a different degree or coming from a different country is groundless. We passed the same exams, and we're all nurses.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

But I have different letters behind my name therefore I AM BETTER.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

leb388 posted:

It's weird how some nurses get frustrated and try to bring down other nurses. I've never seen another career with so much lateral violence.

Reading that allnurses forum gets me depressed sometimes, since there's just so much negativity going around. You'd think nursing was the worst possible job in the world if you went by the sheer number of complaints and bitching found in that forum.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I tell my coworkers here that if it weren't for them, I'd hate my job. I've got an awesome group of intelligent, supportive, educative nurses surrounding me I can bounce ideas off of, ask for help from, and shoot the poo poo with. Cleaning c-diff poo poo with someone is a great team building exercise.

... We should outsource c-diff poo poo cleaning to corporate team building seminars.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I have a question for you nursing/nursing student goons- what is the difference between a nursing degree from a community college and one from a university? I am seriously considering changing my career choice from veterinary technician to nursing.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I have a question for you nursing/nursing student goons- what is the difference between a nursing degree from a community college and one from a university? I am seriously considering changing my career choice from veterinary technician to nursing.

The answer here is complicated. Sorry.

There are 3 categories of nurses.

You've got your Licensed Practical (or Vocational) Nurses or LVNs/LPNs. These are the nurses with the least training and have several restrictions on what they can actually do. LPNs and LVNs used to be everywhere, but they're increasingly being relegated to nursing homes and doctor's offices. This program is offered at a number of community college programs and in general is the degree you do not want to get unless you really need to be out and working in a year's time.

Then there are Associate Degree Nurses or ADNs or as everyone refers to them, RNs. This is the basic 2 year nursing degree. It's offered at all sorts of institutions. RNs work pretty much everywhere but one HUGE caveat is that getting hired as a new ADN is getting more difficult. Your average experienced RN can get hired nearly anywhere, but the new grad ADNs are increasingly finding hospital positions closed to them. To further confuse things, this is a highly regional issue.

The Bachelor's of Science in Nursing or BSN is the 4 year degree version of nursing. It's what you get at a university. To make things confusing, these people are also called "RNs" and are paid almost exactly the same as ADNs. The degree is essentially an RN degree with the addition of a liberal arts degree, some fluffy leadership classes and a tiny bit more practical theory. It's the required degree to move on to Masters or PhD programs, and increasingly it's being required to be hired at hospitals in metropolitan areas that can afford to be selective.

So roughly, community colleges tend to graduate LPNs and ADNs, while universities tend to graduate BSNs. ADNs and BSNs are functionally identical in practice, pay and responsibilities, but the latter option makes you slightly more likely to get hired and is generally required for advancement in the profession. The hiring thing is key because while experienced nurses can just walk into jobs, new grads can have an incredibly difficult time getting hired.

If I were to advise someone, I'd say go with the BSN. If you're hurting for cash or don't want to end up in debt, go with the ADN and work as an RN for two years or so while you complete your BSN part time.

And to think some people consider nursing to be the most ridiculously alphabet soupy of all professions. And I didn't even touch what happens when people start getting masters degrees.

EDIT: My spelling and syntax go to poo poo on overnights. Christ.

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 27, 2012

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Are jobs as an LVN in Cali easiest to get after I've been working for a year? It seems like a lot of doors will open for me after I've been working a year.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
The degree from the Community College is an LPN or RN. The website says you can move on to get your Bachelor of Science in Nursing or a masters degree. This is a bit confusing to me but I have a meeting with a school counselor this week at the CC

My goal is to work in the ER or ICU.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

The degree from the Community College is an LPN or RN. The website says you can move on to get your Bachelor of Science in Nursing or a masters degree. This is a bit confusing to me but I have a meeting with a school counselor this week at the CC

My goal is to work in the ER or ICU.

The degree from a CC is going to be an ADN (Associate degree in nursing) which will allow you to receive your RN by passing the NCLEX. The RN or LPN title is a state licensure, not a degree. After you do this, there are many online RN to BSN programs available that allow you to receive a Bachelor of Science in Nursing while working as an RN and most employers will assist in paying for the extra education. If you go straight to a nursing program in a 4yr school (to receive a BSN), you receive your RN by passing the NCLEX the same as an ADN. My local CC has a great nursing program that will guarantee you immediate entrance to the local state university BSN program upon graduation, maybe look into that at your CC.

You can work in the ER or ICU with either an ADN or a BSN, but the main issue as stated above is that large urban hospitals are competing for magnet status and they will no longer hire newly graduated RNs with only an ADN degree. Where do you live?

It really sucks because I've observed a lot of ADN RNs that are more skilled and mature than BSN RNs, but like everything else in life, that's just the way it is.

On another note, I put in my first female foley yesterday. It was easier than I thought it was going to be.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Oxford Comma posted:

Are jobs as an LVN in Cali easiest to get after I've been working for a year? It seems like a lot of doors will open for me after I've been working a year.

If you're ok with it the prison system is always hiring (new) LVNs, so with a year experience you would have a greater chance at getting a spot. It isn't as scary as it sounds, we have some great prison hospitals here - San Quentin has a brand new on site hospital, Vacaville (Bay Area) has a prison hospital that has the nation's first prison AIDs ward AND prison hospice and San Luis Obispo (central coast) has a dedicated Alzheimer's program. :3:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

The Antipop posted:

The degree from a CC is going to be an ADN (Associate degree in nursing) which will allow you to receive your RN by passing the NCLEX. The RN or LPN title is a state licensure, not a degree. After you do this, there are many online RN to BSN programs available that allow you to receive a Bachelor of Science in Nursing while working as an RN and most employers will assist in paying for the extra education. If you go straight to a nursing program in a 4yr school (to receive a BSN), you receive your RN by passing the NCLEX the same as an ADN. My local CC has a great nursing program that will guarantee you immediate entrance to the local state university BSN program upon graduation, maybe look into that at your CC.

You can work in the ER or ICU with either an ADN or a BSN, but the main issue as stated above is that large urban hospitals are competing for magnet status and they will no longer hire newly graduated RNs with only an ADN degree. Where do you live?

It really sucks because I've observed a lot of ADN RNs that are more skilled and mature than BSN RNs, but like everything else in life, that's just the way it is.

On another note, I put in my first female foley yesterday. It was easier than I thought it was going to be.

I'm in Spokane, WA. The best medical school here is WSU and honestly I'm terrified of it because its so drat competitive to get into any sort of medical program. I was away at another CC for 2 quarters in the vet tech program and a few of the students there finally gave up trying to get into the veterinary program at WSU, and just went with vet tech. Whitworth and Gonzaga have nursing programs too but again I imagine they are ridiculously competitive and tuition is like 40k+ a year :emo: I would honestly consider Gonzaga over most others because it is such a good school with a great reputation.

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
Today I'm starting a three month swap between ICU and ED. I've been in ICU for about one and a half years and haven't worked in ED since I was a new grad in a much smaller hospital. Any tips for the switch? The hospital I work at is a major adult trauma referral centre in Sydney, Australia. I love ICU but I'm really looking forward to something different.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I'm in Spokane, WA. The best medical school here is WSU and honestly I'm terrified of it because its so drat competitive to get into any sort of medical program. I was away at another CC for 2 quarters in the vet tech program and a few of the students there finally gave up trying to get into the veterinary program at WSU, and just went with vet tech. Whitworth and Gonzaga have nursing programs too but again I imagine they are ridiculously competitive and tuition is like 40k+ a year :emo: I would honestly consider Gonzaga over most others because it is such a good school with a great reputation.

Gonzaga and the ICN are you only options here in Spokane. The CC's program is shaky on accreditation at the moment. The ICN is the nursing school for WSU, Whitworth, and EWU. If you can't get in to a uni right away go to CC and transfer your credits. That's what I'm doing! Good luck fellow Spokane dude. :)

I would also choose Gonzaga if I could get in, I know a guy who graduated from there and landed a job immediately after he graduated, at a Providence nursing home, but still. It's expensive, but a loving amazing school!

To add to the accreditation issues at the CC, the waiting list is LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. Also after perusing your posts I see that you are not in fact a dude.

somnolence fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 28, 2012

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I just received my acceptance on Thursday into Nursing school here in Dayton, Ohio. Will start in the Fall. Taking my final anatomy and physio class this summer. Super pumped. Time to break out the debit card for immunizations, uniforms, and a physical

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

If it's anything like my program, get used to doing that crap every year! First Aid, BLS, TB screen... All through an external agency for further headache, which of course charge for a meeting.

e: But of course I forgot the obvious: Congratulations!

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!
What do you guys think about Kaplan or similar NCLEX prep programs? Did you find them helpful or a waste of money/ time? Should I even bother? The salesperson came by our class the other day and scared us all into signing up for the course, but I'm not sure I will get much out of it.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006

Fromage D Enfer posted:

What do you guys think about Kaplan or similar NCLEX prep programs? Did you find them helpful or a waste of money/ time? Should I even bother? The salesperson came by our class the other day and scared us all into signing up for the course, but I'm not sure I will get much out of it.

Hurst is pushed really hard in my area. I really did't have the money to pay for it, but then the hospital that hired me paid for an online version of it. If anything it helped me break down questions better, gave me little tricks to remember things and made me feel more prepared then I was just doing questions out of a NCLEX book. I can not speak for Kaplan though.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Fromage D Enfer posted:

I'd just buy a book and flash cards.

The NCLEX is pretty gameable if you just remember that they have a raging hard-on for Safety and Assessment in that order. They also love open ended questions, which makes any "what would you ask next" question a gimme. Any book you buy will lay that stuff out for you in the first few chapters. The flash cards will let you identify trouble areas and address them. They also help you get used to how the test takers think, and once you get how they function, the test gets a lot less scary.

The courses are best for folk who won't be able to muster the motivation to drill that stuff into their heads. As long as you're capable of working on your own you should be fine.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Fromage D Enfer posted:

I took the Kaplan course because our school covered a majority of the cost and I figured it wouldn't hurt. I am very glad I took it, the instruction helped me recognize how questions were broken down, how to select which answer is best (because all the answers are correct in some way), and strategies to choose a good answer even if you're not sure what the question is about. I also thought the online quiz bank was extremely helpful.

For me, I had been cramming information for the last five years, I wasn't going to learn anything new. Make sure you know your labs and your procedures and review stuff about nutrition (which of the following foods has the most potassium) and supplements (like what meds garlic supplements interact with). Studying more information at that point wasn't going to make a difference for me, but knowing how to approach NCLEX style questions and being able to practice answering questions for long periods of time really, really helped. Don't focus on learning new information, focus on learning how to answer NCLEX style questions.

I also think that with Kaplan if you don't pass your first time you get your money back. I felt totally confident going into the NCLEX and I'm not sure I would have felt that way without Kaplan. I passed on my first try with 75 questions.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
I'm now graduated and will be taking the NCLEX in 2 1/2 weeks! :toot: One of my classmates managed to snag a June 7th test date, which I think is kind of insane considering graduation was just last Friday. My school made us pay for ATI so I have their NCLEX prep, though I need to tell my coach that I'll be taking it much sooner than expected. I should actually start the review modules too. :v:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hellacopter posted:

I'm now graduated and will be taking the NCLEX in 2 1/2 weeks! :toot: One of my classmates managed to snag a June 7th test date, which I think is kind of insane considering graduation was just last Friday. My school made us pay for ATI so I have their NCLEX prep, though I need to tell my coach that I'll be taking it much sooner than expected. I should actually start the review modules too. :v:

Congrats to us! I'm still waiting for my ATT to schedule a date.

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008

sewersider posted:

Today I'm starting a three month swap between ICU and ED. I've been in ICU for about one and a half years and haven't worked in ED since I was a new grad in a much smaller hospital. Any tips for the switch? The hospital I work at is a major adult trauma referral centre in Sydney, Australia. I love ICU but I'm really looking forward to something different.

I work in ED in Melbourne and know a lot of ICU nurses who switch between: expect the pace to be a lot faster. The name of the game these days is stabilize and move on. You won't be able to provide care at anywhere the same level as in ICU because the environment is far more chaotic and you'll have more patients at any one time - what will make you effective is if you're good at prioritizing and recognizing that it's better to provide adequate care for 3 people than brilliant care for 1 and crap for 2.

You'll also find government policies will get in the way a lot more - people being moved around for no reason other than to satisfy random criteria.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just scheduled my NCLEX for the 20th! I already have a job lined up at the hospital I'm currently a tech at. I'll have my RN orientation on July 2nd, and start on July 8th!

:dance:

Fromage D Enfer
Jan 20, 2007
Strawbrary!
Thanks for the feedback guys! Unfortunately, my school didn't pay for any part of the test prep program, so it is a lot of money for me to cough up.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Any critical care nurses in the Seattle area that want to convince me to check out their hospital? I know a lot of places offer referral incentives... and I also know that anywhere there are hospitals, there are hospitals where nobody wants to work. Help a sister out, load me with info, and maybe refer me for your own twisted profit?

For the record, I have a year of experience and I work in the MICU, occasionally floating to the SICU for my trauma jollies.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Fromage D Enfer posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys! Unfortunately, my school didn't pay for any part of the test prep program, so it is a lot of money for me to cough up.

I'm in the same boat and am just using http://learningext.com/hives/534b38552a/summary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
How difficult is the ACLS qualification?