Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I hate hounds because they piss my dog off and they inevitably are assholes with no social skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

While recording and taking pictures, I walked outside because the dogs were having a stroke about things. What the gently caress, right?

No, really. What the gently caress?

That dog was just standing up on a 6 foot stone wall, with no real foot holds or anything and no way to get up on it. And it doesn't belong over there.

E: VVVV I suppose, but just walking outside and seeing a dog randomly on the drat wall was really weird.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 26, 2012

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
you're right I've never heard of a dog being able to jump 6 feet up onto something before

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Despite being an old man, Shadow can jump up onto the porch like it's nothing. That thing is at least 4.5 feet tall, if not almost 5.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Balen Birthday Photodump:

Hats=cake

He shoved the princess crown around a lot like he expected it to eat him.

Remember buddy, hats=cake.

The princess crown wasn't fabulous enough. I gave him a fairy wand. He spit it out. So I put it in his collar.

Then we re-masculated him. (Amy really wanted that hat)

We really re-masculated him.

More hats, more cake.

Kaydee surprisingly plotted my goddamned murder.

"Oh my god what are you doing can I do it too"

Yeah, I think you can. Just remember, hat=cake.

"Whyyyyy"

Balen was huffing and getting sick of pictures.

So everyone got cake.

Then I realized I had some left over glow bracelets hanging around. (it's all non-toxic, super safe stuff)

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
I'm following "Fact about dogs" -seminar online. Sanni Somppi ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21861109 ) just finished her portion discussing Canine Cognition and in an hour we'll get to listen to David Appleby on "Relation to emotions and behaviour problems". Final lecture is by renowned animal trainer Tuire Kaimio on "How to train a dog efficiently, safely and easily?".

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Balen :3: He looks quite dapper all his many, many hats.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

We're sitting at our kitchen window having a cup of tea and the guy across the street is out in his yard playing with a very cute puppy :3: We don't know them all that well, but if I wasn't in pajamas I would totally go over there and pet the puppy.

Puppy!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I thought those of you with Kong-loving dogs or who work in shelters that use Kongs would dig this post about Stuffing Kongs Quickly.

The rest of that blog is a good read too.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

If I'm looking for info on feeding puppies, do I look in the nutrition thread, or puppy thread?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

WolfensteinBag posted:

If I'm looking for info on feeding puppies, do I look in the nutrition thread, or puppy thread?

Is there a good reason why you need to know that you should tell us? :D

Dark, because we had to take it from the hallway, but this is his fierce little noise....and his ears are deciding whether to stand or not :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHPbiYvVriw

:razz:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

TVs Ian posted:

Dark, because we had to take it from the hallway, but this is his fierce little noise....and his ears are deciding whether to stand or not :3:

I wanna boop that nose so badly :3:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

TVs Ian posted:

My cats don't know what the gently caress about that noise. See this is why I'll be a bad puppy mom, that sound makes me melt. :3: What a cutie.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

Just want you to know that Kaydee and Amy dove over (and onto) the computer to make sure the puppy was okay. Ires yelled at it. And Balen faintly lifted his head in the direction of the whimpering.

Amy was very concerned. She's yet to leave me the hell alone about it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My mentor's dogs gave no fucks about the noises. :downs:

Oh Amy. :3:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
So I just have to brag on my GSD a little. We went for a walk today and he was totally nuts because he hasn't gotten much exercise the last couple of days (we've been traveling). About 10 minutes into the walk we ran into this frail 90 year old woman and her adult daughter. They asked if she could pet George because she'd had GSDs her whole life but was in assisted living now and couldn't. I was a little worried because he was so rambunctious, but I said okay because I could tell it meant a lot to her and I figured I could just keep a tight hold on his leash to keep him from jumping on her.

Yeah, I had no call to worry. George walked up to her and sat down without being asked and gently licked her fingers, then didn't move a muscle as she scratched his ears and told me about her favorite Shepherds and I told her about his history. She even bent down and kissed his nose and he was just perfect. :3: Then as soon as we'd moved on he went right back to jumping all the hell over the place.

It was really sweet. I'm so happy to have this dog back. The more time I spend with him the more I realize what a loving cool dog he is. He's just never been given much of a chance to show it.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

2tomorrow posted:

So I just have to brag on my GSD a little. We went for a walk today and he was totally nuts because he hasn't gotten much exercise the last couple of days (we've been traveling). About 10 minutes into the walk we ran into this frail 90 year old woman and her adult daughter. They asked if she could pet George because she'd had GSDs her whole life but was in assisted living now and couldn't. I was a little worried because he was so rambunctious, but I said okay because I could tell it meant a lot to her and I figured I could just keep a tight hold on his leash to keep him from jumping on her.

Yeah, I had no call to worry. George walked up to her and sat down without being asked and gently licked her fingers, then didn't move a muscle as she scratched his ears and told me about her favorite Shepherds and I told her about his history. She even bent down and kissed his nose and he was just perfect. :3: Then as soon as we'd moved on he went right back to jumping all the hell over the place.

It was really sweet. I'm so happy to have this dog back. The more time I spend with him the more I realize what a loving cool dog he is. He's just never been given much of a chance to show it.

Awww George :3: Good boy.

I brought my dogs to visit clients in the home I manage - all four men have varying degrees of mental and physical disability. None can walk and only one can speak. Sigma jumped up onto the bed of the one guy who can speak and layed beside him, excited as can be but oh so gentle, just wagging his tail and laying his head across the guy's tummy. :)

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

2tomorrow posted:

That's so awesome. Good doggy. :3:

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Ughhhhhh Dinah has had horrible diarrhea for 24 hours now. I'm getting into vet-taking territory here. I'm especially nervous because the rescuer who trapped these kittens from their feral colony told me that there had been distemper in the colony - a major symptom of which is profuse diarrhea. But these cats have lived with me for 2 weeks now, and I can't figure out if we're out of the woods there - wiki and the other sites I found via google don't tell me if there's an incubation period for distemper, or how long that might be.

I think she's got the runs because I've been slowly but surely changing their diet off royal canin and on to better stuff. The others are ok but she's smaller than they are.

Does anyone have any wisdom they can share, or is this e-vet time? All my regular vets are closed. I'll call the e-vet if she doesn't seem to be getting any better but I've never had a lot of success with them giving me information, their receptionists are clueless and the doctors are pretty much never available.

She's drinking water, doesn't seem dehydrated and is still eating. She's not as active as her siblings but I wouldn't really classify her as "lethargic", she just wants to be around people and do people stuff instead of cat things (I'm working on this).

Is there something I can give her to help firm up her stool or make her feel less gross? Should I switch back to royal canin?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

Haha No, just doing research. :haw: All these sweet GSD stories are killing me, though!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

InEscape posted:

Ughhhhhh Dinah has had horrible diarrhea for 24 hours now. I'm getting into vet-taking territory here. I'm especially nervous because the rescuer who trapped these kittens from their feral colony told me that there had been distemper in the colony - a major symptom of which is profuse diarrhea. But these cats have lived with me for 2 weeks now, and I can't figure out if we're out of the woods there - wiki and the other sites I found via google don't tell me if there's an incubation period for distemper, or how long that might be.

I think she's got the runs because I've been slowly but surely changing their diet off royal canin and on to better stuff. The others are ok but she's smaller than they are.

Does anyone have any wisdom they can share, or is this e-vet time? All my regular vets are closed. I'll call the e-vet if she doesn't seem to be getting any better but I've never had a lot of success with them giving me information, their receptionists are clueless and the doctors are pretty much never available.

She's drinking water, doesn't seem dehydrated and is still eating. She's not as active as her siblings but I wouldn't really classify her as "lethargic", she just wants to be around people and do people stuff instead of cat things (I'm working on this).

Is there something I can give her to help firm up her stool or make her feel less gross? Should I switch back to royal canin?

I have seen pumpkin suggested for firming up stool, but never got my cat to eat it when he had diarrhea. I think as long as she's drinking it's not too bad because the main danger is dehydration, but obviously if it persists you need to vet up. The vet used to give me this powder called Fortiflora that would calm things down in the gut too, so maybe you can get some of that.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So, uh, I think my roommate does not understand the concept of dog-walking. I wanted to mention this here because it was too :psyduck: to not say. She walks the dog at night unless she can somehow get out of it, and tonight she put the leash on the dog, hovered over him, and then took the leash off when he didn't immediately jump up to go walk. And then she went to bed.

I was wondering why all her "walks" took under a minute, but now I get it. She has no idea how to walk a dog. Rather than using the leash for the intended purpose of controlling the dog's direction and where it's going, I think she just puts it on him so he doesn't run off. And then she lets the dog guide her like some sort of pee-seeking divining rod, except it's a lazy dog that you need to encourage sometimes.
How the hell does that happen? Not knowing how to walk a dog, I mean. Or the basic concept. Pretty sure the 8 year old here knows how.

But now I have to walk him again even though I took him for a quarter-mile walk earlier because she didn't bother trying to actually walk him. I'm 31 weeks pregnant, this is bullshit. :mad:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Bear Rape posted:

So, uh, I think my roommate does not understand the concept of dog-walking. I wanted to mention this here because it was too :psyduck: to not say. She walks the dog at night unless she can somehow get out of it, and tonight she put the leash on the dog, hovered over him, and then took the leash off when he didn't immediately jump up to go walk. And then she went to bed.

I was wondering why all her "walks" took under a minute, but now I get it. She has no idea how to walk a dog. Rather than using the leash for the intended purpose of controlling the dog's direction and where it's going, I think she just puts it on him so he doesn't run off. And then she lets the dog guide her like some sort of pee-seeking divining rod, except it's a lazy dog that you need to encourage sometimes.
How the hell does that happen? Not knowing how to walk a dog, I mean. Or the basic concept. Pretty sure the 8 year old here knows how.

But now I have to walk him again even though I took him for a quarter-mile walk earlier because she didn't bother trying to actually walk him. I'm 31 weeks pregnant, this is bullshit. :mad:

I was getting kinda angry until that last part. Now I'm Real Mad. This dick won't put in any effort into walking her dog, forcing you to walk her dog, at 31 weeks? This is something you really shouldn't have to loving deal with man. I think you need to have a long talk. By that I mean tell her 'take care of your loving dog instead of me or get the gently caress out of here.'

:argh:

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

2tomorrow posted:

I'm jealous. Shelby is such an amazing dog but I can't share it with anyone because of her issues :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Bash Ironfist posted:

I was getting kinda angry until that last part. Now I'm Real Mad. This dick won't put in any effort into walking her dog, forcing you to walk her dog, at 31 weeks? This is something you really shouldn't have to loving deal with man. I think you need to have a long talk. By that I mean tell her 'take care of your loving dog instead of me or get the gently caress out of here.'

:argh:

She's getting kicked out next month, thankfully. And technically the dog belongs to my boyfriend, but she agreed months ago that walking him before she went to bed would be one of her chores. if she didn't/doesn't want to, she could just say so, I think that's what irritates me the most. Communication would be great there.
Although my boyfriend walked the dog instead because he said, "You need to go to bed before you murder someone and I need to not be fat". So I guess that worked out.

In other dog related news, Corbin's going to his first purely social outing today. Found a dog park near here that has a divide between large dogs and small dogs. He'll be on-leash the whole time because he still needs work on his recall, but here's to hoping he enjoys himself. :toot:

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Obsessed with my cat:
Cosmo (named after Cosmo Kramer due to his penchant for bursting through closed doors)

I call him Catbear

16 pounds of cat in the bear chair

Bonus picture of family dogs! My parents rescued two of them (as puppies) from being put down due to medical problems. The one in back (Tater) I found abandoned on a curb in the rain as a tiny worm-filled puppy.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

ButWhatIf, you have a PM. :)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

drat it, there are ants in the rat cage. I can't even tell where they're coming from, they just seem to appear in the food bowl if I give the boys anything that can't be carried into the fleece tunnel.

Sometimes I wonder if my house is built on an ancient ant burial ground or something, we haven't gone two months without finding a new influx in the entire time we've lived here.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
I put down a insect killer on the entire lawn this year and then a perimeter spray along the foundation and around the windows.
Something like this
http://www.terro.com/products.php?product=outdoor_ant_spray
It's been good so far.

Is it possible to put the cage on a stand in a tub of water? I have no idea how big the cages are or how wobbly so that may make no sense.
Also possibly exorcism.

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit

RazorBunny posted:

Sometimes I wonder if my house is built on an ancient ant burial ground or something, we haven't gone two months without finding a new influx in the entire time we've lived here.

I hope you never end up having to survive the horrors I experienced in a house that was also doomed by ants. It is is terrifying to have a small hole suddenly appear in the wall of your bedroom as hundreds of winged ants swarm the room. It is disgusting to wake up in the morning to find that literally overnight a shelf full of movies and games was turned into an ant nursery. I will never forget the way a VHS looks when it is filled to the brim with ant eggs and larva. Never. :gonk:

I hate ants. If I ever see one single ant in my home now I go on red alert. And I freak out with bug spray if there is even a tiny trail of them.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We have a maintenance contract with a pest control company now, so I'm going to move the rat cage to another room and have them come in and bomb the hell out of the room they're in now. All the company's stuff is pet safe (including rodents, we checked) and I'll give it a couple of days before moving them back.

They came out a little while ago and treated the yard, and I think that may have driven some of the colonies that are normally out in the lawn into the house. Plus we stirred up the compost heap yesterday and a ridiculous amount of ants came out.

Over the years we've had everything from a few annoying ants in the kitchen to a massive cluster in the basement. Like, so many that we had to vacuum up all the dead ones after spraying.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Speaking of killing ants, my mentor's house seems to have a minor infestation... I learned the hard way that I absolutely cannot leave any of the dog food down any longer than necessary and frankly I'm scared to leave them with any peanut butter Kongs now. My mentor is not the cleanest lady in the world, but she's been really stressed and burnt out lately so I thought it'd be nice if I cleaned her place up for her while she's gone.

Are there any decent ant-killing products that are safe for dogs that I can just go out and buy? I can't really afford to actually get some pest control people in here or anything.

Also spiders... so many spiders... in literally every corner, almost... thank god I'm not arachnophobic. I refuse to ever live in a really old house.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Weirdly enough, a solution of bleach in water will kill ants on contact. Not sure of the ratio. You don't want to use it on carpet or upholstery, of course, but it's good for things like kitchen counters.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well drat, her bedroom is where they're coming from and that's carpeted. :( I'll keep it in mind for the kitchen though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You guys are having ant problems, but there's no ANTS! thread like the old BEES thread. :(

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Brillig posted:

I hope you never end up having to survive the horrors I experienced in a house that was also doomed by ants. It is is terrifying to have a small hole suddenly appear in the wall of your bedroom as hundreds of winged ants swarm the room. It is disgusting to wake up in the morning to find that literally overnight a shelf full of movies and games was turned into an ant nursery. I will never forget the way a VHS looks when it is filled to the brim with ant eggs and larva. Never. :gonk:

I hate ants. If I ever see one single ant in my home now I go on red alert. And I freak out with bug spray if there is even a tiny trail of them.

Thank you for tonight's nightmare.

:catstare:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Skizzles posted:

Well drat, her bedroom is where they're coming from and that's carpeted. :( I'll keep it in mind for the kitchen though.

I haven't tried it with the diatomaceous earth I bought, but apparently you can scatter that on carpet and then vacuum it up?

The biggest thing is to identify where they're coming in the house. There's a gel product that comes in a big syringe that you can just squirt into the opening. We used that on our basement window sill and it kills ants like it's going out of style.

My husband has a vendetta against the ants, and sometimes he'll be winning for a while, and then suddenly they're back in force :(

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm not positive where they're coming in. Could either be her bedroom window or the tiny storage area attached to her room which is... pretty gross, and cluttered. Honestly what this house really needs is some remodeling but of course that's not happening.

I hear salt will kill them...? :confused:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

They also make pet-safe ant baits, depending on the size of the infestation that might be a good solution. The ants carry the poison back to the nest. Unless the dogs are eating the ants in large quantities, it shouldn't be dangerous at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I might give those a shot then, depending on how much they cost. The dogs don't seem interested in eating the ants and it doesn't seem like a huge infestation... I hope.

• Locked thread