Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Waffnuffly posted:

MTaHK is great for its mix of quirkiness, humor, and genuinely amazing music. I like to treat Forever as an extended intro for Dawn of Man, which to me pretty much defines the human experience. Beta Version is similarly wonderful and No Release is full of useful advice. Fly is a song about SBAHJ of all things, so that gets props, and Chain of Prospit is incredibly upbeat (but I do have to fast forward through the very end, gotta admit). Pumpkin Tide cracks me up and The Deeper You Go is a great closer. The only one I don't really like as much is Lies with the Sea, for some reason.

I think you said this last time MT&HK came up in conversation here, and I was again utterly baffled by the bolded part, because wtf, Lies With the Sea is my absolute favorite track on that album, just narrowly ahead of Dawn of Man.

Agreeing that MT&HK is an amazing album overall, though. Probably a tossup with STRIFE! for my favorite solo album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Was listening to Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido just as I scrolled on to this discussion, a pleasant surprise. Great album, great ambient music for chilling.

As for current events, this vision of Skaia is frightening, something must be very wrong with their session.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This uu + UU mystery is the most interesting part of Act 5 6 by far IMO.

e. oops

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 27, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PublicOpinion posted:

Yeah, his constant use of "bitch" was making me a bit skeeved out. Which, now that I think about it, fits pretty well into "These characters represent the Homestuck fandom".

Like I said, his contemptuous misogynistic view of women makes me think of how Lord English was once described as a pimp, wrt AradiaAncestor/The Condesce.

Regardless I hope someone decks uu. gently caress that guy.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)

Captain Oblivious posted:

Like I said, his contemptuous misogynistic view of women makes me think of how Lord English was once described as a pimp, wrt AradiaAncestor/The Condesce.

Well if it's any consolation Homestuck's been fairly regular with awful people getting theirs thus far.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

This uu + UU mystery is the most interesting part of Act 5 by far IMO.

Act 5's over, man.

In music news, I listened to MT&HK again and Lies With The Sea is really good. Probably still not my favorite, Chain Of Prospit still holds that spot. Seconding the person who said that it really holds up well outside of homestuck.

Also, uu/UU is seriously giving me doc scratch vibes with the mysterious messages that seem to hurt as often as they help, and with the news that, like scratch, uu bribed Jack with candy to kill people, the thought that English has/will come from them more evidence. :ohdear:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I disagree. I want more information on why suddenly gamzee. Or at least what he's doing now.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 27, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Vriska will finally get her one true moment of redemption by socking uu right in the jaw.

And by "Vriska" I mean "Nepeta", and by "moment of redemption", I mean "moment".

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I may definitely be the odd one out here in having had essentially almost no interest in their mystery all this time. (Perhaps because UU was the straw that broke the camel's back when it came to exposition fatigue for me. So maybe dislike of the characters lead me to be completely apathetic to who they were or where they came from.)

Seeing uu playing the villain card like this and actually making good on his threats was a surprise, though, so maybe I'll be a bit more intrigued from here on.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Brass Key posted:

The more I see of this guy the more I subscribe to the red-green split Karkat theory (whether it was an experiment by the Condesce or Karkat messing with his own ectobiology and making a mutant). There's no way that slip was a coincidence, and Jack's his "best friend".

uu/UU's bifurcation thing makes sense if you go with the "Karkat messing with ectobiology" theory. Someone upthread suggested that Karkat may have combined his blood with Nepeta's to try to fill in the lime slot on the hemospectrum. I propose an additional hosed up modification to that idea: what if he tried to create lime blood by combining Sollux's blood with Nepeta's? Adding, of course, a bit of his own mutant blood in order to try to make a "normal" version of himself.

That monstrous combination would explain the blood colors, uu/UU's bifurcation thing (especially the dual dreamselves), the fangirlishness, and the Karkatesque tendencies.

It sounds like bad fanfiction, but as has been often said in this thread, this is Homestuck and such wild theories have a non-zero chance of actually happening. :stare:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lime blood would fall exactly between Nepeta and Kanaya.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Bongo Bill posted:

Lime blood would fall exactly between Nepeta and Kanaya.

Hussie mentions that lime blood would fall between Sollux and Nepeta, the same place Karkat hangs out in the zodiac order.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

UltraPenguinX posted:

Well if it's any consolation Homestuck's been fairly regular with awful people getting theirs thus far.
The only one I can think of is Eridan getting his uppers and lowers mediated in a chainsawwise fashion. Aside from that, HS is not real big on people getting comeupp'd.

As far as uu goes, I liked him better when he was blowing gaskets about people dragging their asses. He manages to make hand-holding and tender marriages (w/ bonus babyeating) creepier than if he just told Dirk to draw people straight up loving.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 27, 2012

attackbunny
May 1, 2009
Does anybody think that UU and uu will somehow fuuse their session with the B2 kids'? I've been inclining towards it, just because

a) otherwise, what the gently caress is their relevance?
b) everyone else is gatecrashing the B2 session. Seems like it's the cool new thing.
c) it would technically make them self-inserted characters.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Homestuck ends with the revelation that Homestuck fandom is literally incarnated as the most evil destructive force in the universe. It will be a thing of unparalleled beauty. :allears:
This has to happen.

Seoinin posted:

The only one I can think of is Eridan getting his uppers and lowers mediated in a chainsawwise fashion. Aside from that, HS is not real big on people getting comeupp'd.
Well, eventually Hussie's going to run out of people to kill that aren't assholes.

attackbunny fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 27, 2012

Doug Rattman
Sep 10, 2011

Formerly known as Doug Rattman
I don't think the theories about Karkat creating UU and uu are true. I believe that they are an analogy for post and pre-scratch Karkat. Pre-scratch Karkat should be happier and more like UU, as the only reason post-scratch Karkat is angry a lot of the time is because of The Sufferer's Vast Explicative. Also, I believe that pre-scratch Karkat and Sufferer have lime blood.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The worst theory about UU/uu I've heard said that they're a combination of both the pre-scratch and post-scratch Signless and they are the "true Christ allegory of Homestuck", denoted by the fact that green and red are "Christmas colors".

Tumblr gets weird.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

attackbunny posted:

Well, eventually Hussie's going to run out of people to kill that aren't assholes.

When everyone except Nepeta is dead, everyone will have gotten their comeuppance.

quote:

Also, I believe that pre-scratch Karkat and Sufferer have lime blood.

That wouldn't make them identical to Karkat and the Sufferer. They are the same grubs that Karkat made.

How exactly the ecto-babies get sent to two universes isn't quite clear. But the fact that they're only made once is.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

attackbunny posted:

Does anybody think that UU and uu will somehow fuuse their session with the B2 kids'? I've been inclining towards it, just because

a) otherwise, what the gently caress is their relevance?
b) everyone else is gatecrashing the B2 session. Seems like it's the cool new thing.
c) it would technically make them self-inserted characters.
This has to happen.

I just realised after reading this, if UU/uu occupy the same body, they cannot have a two-player session. When either of them would enter, so would the other. One prototyping could happen at best. And I don't think you can have the game progress at all (as in get to the reckoning) with only one prototyping.

Which in turn means no meteors headed towards UU/uu to create any sense of urgency (or need!) about entering.

Something has got to give here.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gabriel Pope posted:

Homestuck ends with the revelation that Homestuck fandom is literally incarnated as the most evil destructive force in the universe. It will be a thing of unparalleled beauty. :allears:

There is no way this is not a thing that will happen now. It has to be a thing that will happen. If only because uu/UU are fairly pointless otherwise. (remember, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of other Suburb sessions that have gone on, so really there's little point to seeing yet another one if there isn't something incredibly important happening in it, and creating Lord English fits that bill rather nicely plus actually characterizes the least used character so far)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wait, uu is misogynistic, but may share a body with his 'sister' and has red blood and types in grey.

Karkat is self loathing, has red blood and types in grey.

I wonder if the misogyny and loathing of his sister is just an expression of Karkat self loathing?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

There is no way this is not a thing that will happen now. It has to be a thing that will happen. If only because uu/UU are fairly pointless otherwise. (remember, there are hundreds, maybe even thousands of other Suburb sessions that have gone on, so really there's little point to seeing yet another one if there isn't something incredibly important happening in it, and creating Lord English fits that bill rather nicely plus actually characterizes the least used character so far)

It's not just that. The central conceit of Homestuck's format is that the reader is inputting commands to control various characters; obviously this stopped being literally true a couple months in, so ever since then it's just been a vestigial throwback to older MS Paint Adventures.

But what if it's not? What if the command format is an integral part of the story's delivery? Homestuck has a POV "character" who has nominally been controlling every single action we've seen so far. And we know that literally every single event in the first five acts and possibly beyond was orchestrated by Lord English to further his agenda. Why has every command been selected to lead up to Lord English's victory?

Because Lord English is (indirectly) the one issuing them. He's not necessarily actually controlling the other characters, but ultimately that doesn't matter. He calls the shots. Through his various machinations, he gets to dictate what happens.

And we're seeing his plans unfold through his own multicolored eyes. That is why, wherever you go, he is already there. At the end of Cascade, Jade was looking through the giant 4th wall into Lord English's overcoat which was rapidly cycling through all the panels of earlier acts. In one of his commentaries Hussie even wrote a teaser question pondering why an artifact of Lord English would be displaying all of these things. Various other characters have seen (and been in) those scenes from various points of view, but only one character would have seen all of those exact panels: the POV character.

This also explains why Andrew Hussie's author insert said that it would be ironic for Lord English to be defeated with a bunch of horses in the background. Because Homestuck fandom fuckin loves ponies.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

This also explains why Andrew Hussie's author insert said that it would be ironic for Lord English to be defeated with a bunch of horses in the background. Because Homestuck fandom fuckin loves ponies.

I like your theory but yeah this is a bit of a stretch.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Got a theory about creepy black-skaia... We know that the predestined 'success' of a session has no effect on skaia's cheeriness (null and void sessions have a normal skaia). If skaia represents creative potential, and acts as the forge to make a new universe, black skaia may reflect the kind of universe a triumphant uu might make, and it's not a pleasant outcome.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meenah just wants to poke one of these suckas up, why you gotta be a wet blanket aranea

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I could watch Karkat flail mindlessly at stuff forever.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm getting the feeling that I never really knew who Kanaya was. Either that, or her transformation changed her more than I thought. I'm kinda surprised that she joined in the fray.

VVVVVV Edit: That reminds me. We are fast approaching the time when the "Everyone pose like a team" command might be useable.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 27, 2012

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Is this the most characters we've ever had in one panel at once?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Meenah posted:

how bout this shout rear end nubby motherglubber who looks like whats his face

Nice job dodging that Hussie :mad: Pre-scratch Sufferer is going to be the last one introduced, isn't he?

Also, wow, the gang's all here. Even WV.

Also, I like to think Roxy is just slowly floating backwards after John shoved her away.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

tinaun posted:

Is this the most characters we've ever had in one panel at once?

I think it's tied with the dream bubble with Sollux and Aradia that ended up involving, like, half the cast at the time.

Also drat it, narrowly avoided the name of the Sufferer. :arghfist::saddowns:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, look at all this nonsense. This is going to be great. Please don't cut away, Hussie!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Pointless, silly observation: Karkat on one side, Dave on the other, both with weapons drawn and a girl between them. Plus, Kanaya above and between them. It's all vaguely reminiscent of some sort of :c: configuration.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
If Hussie keeps going with this, I think I'll like the next set of panels indeed.

Love the fact that WV and Roxy are in the background, the latter just floating away off to who-knows-where.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm getting the feeling that I never really knew who Kanaya was. Either that, or her transformation changed her more than I thought. I'm kinda surprised that she joined in the fray.

I don't know, with how she's used the chainsaw on her lusus and Tavros, and on the undead that haunt her desert, I've always felt she had a pragmatic streak where there is a problem that can be solved with judicious violence. She waffles more on matters of the heart, but when something needs to be bisected she doesn't hesitate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's interesting that even Dave got baited into the scrap. Meenah is just that huge of a bitch (bluh bluh)

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

It's interesting that even Dave got baited into the scrap. Meenah is just that huge of a bitch (glub glub)

Fixed that for you.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Not much we can say about the new scene yet. (Although, geez, Karkat, don't you have anything better than your first post-entry weapon? Even John is using something better than the pogohammer)

---

I did want to steal a little theory from the tumblr homestuck people again. We've been wondering what the deal with Karkat being the Knight of Blood. Knight, we know, uses his or her element as a weapon.

But 'blood', while thematically appropriate for Karkat, has never been defined. But what if it's blood in the 'kinship' sense? Loyalty, trust, friendship. He allied with his sesson's Jack by making him a blood-brother. Plus, it's a lot more clear on a re-read that Karkat has done nothing but play relationship counselor for his whole session. Every time someone comes into one of his memos, it's either to chew him out or to ask for advice. Even after they meet the kids, half his worry is about avoiding sloppy makeouts.

He's also used friendship as a weapon. In a crisis, what's his first instinct? Look at when Gamzee went nuts. First he protected his friends (dragging Sollux to safety) and then he looked through his deck of allies, picked the "best" one, and sent Equius off to deal with Gamzee. I mean, sure, it totally failed, but he was totally using Equius's loyalty to him and the team as a weapon.

No wonder he became leader of the team. His whole class-aspect is built around being a minion master.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
What's really interesting is Meenah is holding her own against a god-tier Knight of Time and a Sylph of Space and a Knight of Blood who are each at the top of their echeladders

KoB
May 1, 2009

RickoniX posted:

What's really interesting is Meenah is holding her own against a god-tier Knight of Time and a Sylph of Space and a Knight of Blood who are each at the top of their echeladders

Theyre not necessarily trying to kill her. They could just be holding her back.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

It's interesting that even Dave got baited into the scrap. Meenah is just that huge of a bitch (bluh bluh)

They just watched Meenah stab John whilst he was protecting sleepwandering Roxy.
This scene is great, each of the three getting into the strife have their reasons for doing so.
We finally get to see the classes in a group situation with both Seers standing back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think the funniest thing about this scene is that, despite the number of different groups coming together on one page here, no one is going to get to talk to their own genetic relation.

(Rose and Roxy is the closest they get, but Roxy is asleep)