Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

sexy_trash posted:

The worst episodes are the ones featuring Mike Graham. That guy is annoying as hell and would shoot his mouth about nothing and no one cared.

What did Patterson say that Hayes called him out about it?

The near freak out of Michael Hayes at Bret for not picking himself was a real WTF moment.

During the Canada roundtable, the topic had went to Best Canadian Wrestlers, and Bret mentioned Archie "The Stomper" Gouldie as his personal favorite. For some reason Patterson took exception to this and wouldn't drop the subject. Hayes finally went "Well, you asked him for his personal opinion of best Canadian wrestler and he gave it, drop it." or something to that effect.

Great show, but that part was pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

sexy_trash posted:

The worst episodes are the ones featuring Mike Graham. That guy is annoying as hell and would shoot his mouth about nothing and no one cared.

What did Patterson say that Hayes called him out about it?

The near freak out of Michael Hayes at Bret for not picking himself was a real WTF moment.

Bret picked Stomper Archie Gouldie as the best Canadian wrestler of all time (or whatever the specific phrasing was) and Pat blew a loving gasket at picking a guy most people have never heard of. Hayes told him to chill out, IIRC.

I don't remember Hayes getting upset at Bret for not picking himself.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

sexy_trash posted:

Mike Graham's the same guy that claimed (in a shoot interview) that he threatened Benoit's life after Benoit stole Nancy from Kevin Sullivan (who Graham said was too scared about losing his job to do anything about it), with Benoit practically making GBS threads his pants in terror as a response. Of course the fact that this was filmed after the Benoit murders/suicide has no bearing on it. :rolleyes:

It's even more laughable when you hear Graham deride Benoit, Malenko and Saturn as "midgets", considering that Saturn points out Graham's like five inches shorter than him when they show him that clip during his own shoot vid.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
i just recently founded the Jim Ross mankind "shoot" interviews and my god they are stunningly well made.. why the hell doesn't WWE do poo poo like this anymore..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNB2CuJw6po

i mean the music the story..i want to know who was responsible on these and where the hell is he...

these videos>>>>any promo or hype video

and to build up on this, yeah the video guys working for WWE are amazing but what the hell happened to interviews like these where guys could really put themself over?
is it because we as a viewers lack the patience to watch this? or is it just that there isn't promo guys like foley/jake the snake/flair anymore? i mean watching HHH/Cena/Show/dare i even say jericho/Punk blaablaaing around and dropping catchphrases just doesn't work for me

so if nothing else.. please enjoy maybe one of the best produced wwf/wwe interviews

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Perry Normal posted:

Bret picked Stomper Archie Gouldie as the best Canadian wrestler of all time (or whatever the specific phrasing was) and Pat blew a loving gasket at picking a guy most people have never heard of. Hayes told him to chill out, IIRC.

I don't remember Hayes getting upset at Bret for not picking himself.

yeah your right. I totally confused what Hayes and Patterson were saying.

But yeah. I really hate Mike Graham. It's truly a shame they shot all the episodes about specific superstars in one big lump, because that annoying high pitched doofus is in everyone, ruining them for the most part. Occasionally he had something profound or intelligent to say, but the rest of the time he's just being a annoying jack rear end.

I always liked Kevin Nash on the nwo episode, he was entertaining as per standard kevin nash. and Ric Flair brought a great dynamic too. sure he's almost always pimping the horsemen and that era, but he was great in that role.

TheCool69 posted:

i just recently founded the Jim Ross mankind "shoot" interviews and my god they are stunningly well made.. why the hell doesn't WWE do poo poo like this anymore..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNB2CuJw6po

these were truly amazing at the time when they were released in '97. They turned him from hated villain to tweener to babyface in like three weeks.

one episode of Raw, after they showed one part of the series (I believe it was the dude love part), Mankind came to the ring and the fans were actually cheering him. as vince and JR pointed out, how amazing it was they were cheering for him. but the segments were incredibly effective and were done perfectly.

In the end, he was a monster, but a loveable monster!

sexy_trash fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 26, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

sexy_trash posted:

But yeah. I really hate Mike Graham. It's truly a shame they shot all the episodes about specific superstars in one big lump, because that annoying high pitched doofus is in everyone, ruining them for the most part. Occasionally he had something profound or intelligent to say, but the rest of the time he's just being a annoying jack rear end.

Mike Graham is one of the loving worst in wrestling. He's pretty much at the bottom.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Didn't JR do one of these interviews with Kane that ended with him being set on fire?

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Chunky Delight posted:

Didn't JR do one of these interviews with Kane that ended with him being set on fire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMcyeoxQ88

this was in 05/06, when WWE couldn't do anything right. it was also hilariously covered in the Punchsport Podcast about that time frame. I still laugh at the part of said podcast where someone is joking that Vince was behind the camera laughing, and going "HA HA HA. IS IT HOT ENOUGH FOR YA, JR? YOU'RE ROASTING, BETTER GET SOME BBQ SAUCE FOR YA, PAL. HA HA HA" or something along those lines.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Why won't somebody help him?! :cry:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

More like 2003.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

Cardboard Box posted:

More like 2003.

that's right! i confused the 05/06 podcast with the History of Kane podcast.

Both were fantastic and hilarious!

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Lone Rogue posted:

Mike Graham is one of the loving worst in wrestling. He's pretty much at the bottom.

He also says that when the Radicals were on WCW people would change the channel as if booking that way wasn't already a self fulfilling prophecy.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Jim Ross also did a sit down interview with Goldust in 1997.

It was the precursor to the artist formerly known as Goldust, though. :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Jim Ross also did a sit down interview with Goldust in 1997.

It was the precursor to the artist formerly known as Goldust, though. :gonk:

Was that the one with the really disturbing elements of Goldust ripping into Terri (who was sitting beside him) about their family/children?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Jerusalem posted:

Was that the one with the really disturbing elements of Goldust ripping into Terri (who was sitting beside him) about their family/children?

Yup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GPJ2idtBXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpcFHezTOjA

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hi everyone I don't really have a Wrestling Question That (Doesn't) Deserve (Its) Own Thread, but I do have a Wrestling Game That Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread.

For those experienced, please rank the years between 1996-2003 (and later if you'd like) in terms of overall quality of product. I am mostly interested in WWE, but WCW is cool too (although I think that one basically goes 1996 and downward from there). Explanations would be cool as to why they are in this order, but not necessary.

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm generally confused as to when the product was good and when it was turning to poo poo. I've heard 97, 98, and 99 especially being both really good and really bad. I just want people's take on it so I can finally figure out when wrestling was good.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
1997 and 1998 were my two favorite years when I was watching them. 1997 had Bret/Austin and Bret/Shawn in WWF, and the Hogan/Sting slowburn in WCW. 1998 had the rises of Austin and Goldberg, and WCW was starting to crack some, especially with the bloatedness of the NWO. After that, it seemed to slowly slide downhill. WCW crumbled 1999-2000, then was a dead promotion walking in 2001. WWF was still producing a great product, especially at the top (Austin/Rock/Triple H/Foley among others), but after Triple H tore his quad and they bought out WCW, the Invasion angle became forefront, and we all know how poorly that was handled.

In summary, for me, WCW rose to a peak in 1997, then slid downhill in 1998, then fell off the cliff until it died. WWF was strong in 1997-2000, then slid downhill from there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

crankdatbatman posted:

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm generally confused as to when the product was good and when it was turning to poo poo. I've heard 97, 98, and 99 especially being both really good and really bad. I just want people's take on it so I can finally figure out when wrestling was good.

Business was really good in 98-99-00, and the product was really good in 97 and 2000. When they were hot, everything they did pretty much worked. Also, especially in 98 or so, the undercard was crap, and everyone would literally sit on their hands until Austin came out. But luckily, most Raws had Austin in every other segment.

I think business was hot in WCW from 96-98. It is awesome fun to watch that period for sure.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist
Does anyone else think that 2001 WCW was rad? Most of the storylines were simple as they were just trying to squeeze out tv until the Fusient deal didn't happen. I know it was only a couple of months, but I remember really liking it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minges posted:

Does anyone else think that 2001 WCW was rad? Most of the storylines were simple as they were just trying to squeeze out tv until the Fusient deal didn't happen. I know it was only a couple of months, but I remember really liking it.

There was some really good stuff but there was also some really lovely stuff. The last month was pretty awesome though.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

When do most people agree Scott Hall's performances started on the downtrend? I was rewatching the ladder match with Shawn at WM X and I'm still amazed at what he could do and just got curious about that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quasipox posted:

When do most people agree Scott Hall's performances started on the downtrend? I was rewatching the ladder match with Shawn at WM X and I'm still amazed at what he could do and just got curious about that.

A few months after he signed his WCW contract? He was always pretty limited, but whenever he realized he didn't have to give a poo poo, he became one of the laziest wrestlers in the world. By the time he had that title match with Sting in March of 98 he had no instincts, no care for psychology and his execution was wretched.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Quasipox posted:

You could see it when he got to WCW and it was at his worst during the alcoholic angle.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
To me it seemed that once he had a lower schedule and then treated like a big deal in WCW, that's when he became the rear end in a top hat and both him and Nash became some of the laziest workers of all time. It was different in the WWF because they were working constantly and vince still expected you to work your rear end off no matter what right?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

ColeM posted:

To me it seemed that once he had a lower schedule and then treated like a big deal in WCW, that's when he became the rear end in a top hat and both him and Nash became some of the laziest workers of all time. It was different in the WWF because they were working constantly and vince still expected you to work your rear end off no matter what right?

WCW had guaranteed payments whether you were there or not, WWF needed you to work for potentially more money

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LordPants posted:

and the product was really good in 97

It was? I swear I've heard the argument that WWF was awful in 1997 aside from Austin and Hart.

Also so according to this the lauded Attitude Era everybody wishes would come back lasted for four years, and only one of those years was any good?

I didn't start watching until late 99, for clarity.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

crankdatbatman posted:

It was? I swear I've heard the argument that WWF was awful in 1997 aside from Austin and Hart.

Also so according to this the lauded Attitude Era everybody wishes would come back lasted for four years, and only one of those years was any good?

I didn't start watching until late 99, for clarity.

The main event and semi main event storylines were really good, the undercard was mostly bad. Most people pay the most attention to the top of the card.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO

ColeM posted:

yes. Scott or Kevin mentioned in an interview once that very early in their run with WCW they were always the first people to arrive at house shows, before anyone else, because they were used to that WWF/E work ethic and being there on time, every time. Once they realized that every single person in that company worked just a little bit slower and lazier (wrestlers, technical people, everyone), thats when they started getting lazy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

sexy_trash posted:

yes. Scott or Kevin mentioned in an interview once that very early in their run with WCW they were always the first people to arrive at house shows, before anyone else, because they were used to that WWF/E work ethic and being there on time, every time. Once they realized that every single person in that company worked just a little bit slower and lazier (wrestlers, technical people, everyone), thats when they started getting lazy.

"Yeah, when we got there we were clearly more dedicated than everyone else, so we decided to become the least dedicated."

Hall and Nash are hilarious (and Hall can be very intelligent when talking about wrestling psychology) but few are so full of poo poo as those two.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Apologies for any rambling.

97 had the Hart Foundation, the Montreal Screwjob, Austin's continued rise to the top as well as his broken neck, the forming of DX, UT seemed pretty motivated and 2 great matched in Hart/Austin and HBK/UT. It was like the main event was pretty kick-rear end and there were bright spots in the undercard but it was still pretty lacking.

The Attitude Era is weird to look back on for me. The extremely short wrestling matches and often ADD booking meant to shock the audience through sex and violence is annoying now when I watch it on youtube. But when it was brand-new, especially as a teenager in high-school, it was exciting and very "adult" to my friends and I. DX yelling suck it and Kane setting poo poo on fire and the NAO/Austin/Rock sing-alongs were such a part of my high-school experience that I will always have a soft spot for it.

But with a decade between me and teenage me, I see the short-comings I talked about earlier. Things like Naked Mideon, the 20-minute Vince promos, the often non-sensical storylines that are glaring to me today were happily accepted because wrestling was cool and there were no flaws. There was a lot to like: HHH and Rock were on their way to becoming main-eventers, atmosphere and audience participation went a long way to creating excitement. Crowds were loving insanely hot during RAW. Mid-carders got huge pops that some main-eventers today cannot match. Characterization was strong, if not always logical week-to-week but at least everyone had a personality and thus was unique. A good example of this is SurSer 98 where a lot of storylines came together culminating with The Rock turning heel and joining Mcmahon while Mankind went full-face after Vince's betrayal. Looking at it today, its not very good in-ring but if you were watching then and knew all the characters and motivations and ties to each other, it was great. It is a prime example of the "attitude" and personalities carrying the crowd because the ringwork was not going to do it.

In-ring 99 was pretty bad as mentioned before with the exception of some of the main-eventers as Austin always had entertaining brawls, Foley killed himself for our entertainment but with PPVs like King of the Ring 99 and Rock Bottom it show that lots of guys were not gonna have great matches and Rock and HHH had not hit their peaks as workers yet. The Hardcore title gave sub-par workers a storyline to go after and made for lots of fun moments and Chyna became a pretty big star, although women were still showing a lot of T and A. And the repeated Billy Gunn pushes need not be spoken of. Wrestlemania 15 that year had 1 good match, Austin/Rock, and one decent match, Shane/Xpac. The rest were ok at best and included a battle-royale before the event with the winners teaming up to face the tag-champs as well as Gunn wrestling for the Hardcore title and Road Dogg wrestling for the IC title despite storylines having the positions reversed and a lovely UT/Bossman HITC match that ended with the Bossman being hung from the cage like he was dead. He came out the next RAW though if memory serves. So it was a poo poo PPV for the most part, but still extremely popular.

With the addition of Jericho in mid 99, E&C and the Hardyz and the Dudleyz and Angle in late 99 and the Radicalz in early 2000 and the maturation of the Rock and HHH in their wrestling abilities, wrestling became a little more important and the focus shifted away from Austin as he was out for a year with neck surgery starting in late 99 and Foley retired in 2000 after putting over HHH in 2 straight PPV matches, one of which being a Street Fight at RR which is such a great match. Mae Young also flashed her tits at this PPV so shock value was still in full force at this point.

HHH/Rock would dominate the main event for about half the year putting on some kick-rear end matches. It was pretty much Rock v HHH/the McMahons but the matches were always good. This was also where HHH got famous for his 20-minute interviews. Angle became a big deal pretty quickly and was in the main event by Summerslam while Benoit/Jericho had a kickass series of matches over the IC title. EC/Hardyz/Dudleyz dominated the tag-team scene with show-stealing TLC matches at WM and SS with a few reigns by lesser tag-teams such as Too Cool who got pops comparable to Orton today and theres not a lot of exaggeration in that statement.

With the return of Undertaker, who had left in the latter half of 99, at Judgement Day as BikerTaker and Steve Austin a few months later the roster was doing pretty well and maintained a nice balance between the wrestling aspects and the character/Attitude aspects. Angle became champion, and got booked like poo poo, while they tried Rikishi in the main event against Austin. Angle/Jericho also flirted with main-event status but they didn't pull the trigger on them.

Then of course, we hit WM X7 which loving kicked 9 kinds of rear end followed by the Austin heel turn, Rock's departure and HHH's injury and the InVasion followed where it all went to poo poo.

So if you wanted to place Austin as "the" guy in the Attitude Era and started it at WM 98 with his first title and end it as WM X7 with the heel turn, it only lasted 3 years and about a year of that Austin was out with an injury.

So goddam, in conclusion the highs of the attitude eras were so high everything else in its shadow was overlooked as you were focused on it. While it was happening, it was awesome but with hindsight of today, it certainly was lacking in many ways.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

The main event and semi main event storylines were really good, the undercard was mostly bad. Most people pay the most attention to the top of the card.

This is pretty much true of the entirety of the WWF/WCW war, especially from 1997 on. WWF always had a far superior main event and upper midcard with a pretty terrible lower card. WCW always had a great lower card with pretty consistently lovely main events. Every once in a while there would be some deviation from that, but it held true for the most part.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
With a lot of words you've said WWE doesn't have to be perfect to be entertaining, which makes todays lows even more baffling.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TenaciousJ posted:

With a lot of words you've said WWE doesn't have to be perfect to be entertaining, which makes todays lows even more baffling.

Yup, pretty much.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

WCW had guaranteed payments whether you were there or not, WWF needed you to work for potentially more money

Also if I remember correctly, Hall and Nash's contracts were linked, so that as long as one of them was working, both of them got paid. So there was very little incentive for Scott to do anything when he knew that he would earn the same money sitting at home drinking while Nash was glory hounding all over the country.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I also love the fact that Hall & Nash's contracts had a clause in it that enabled their pay to be bumped up if anyone entered the company and made more money than them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Memento1979 posted:

Also if I remember correctly, Hall and Nash's contracts were linked

If this was any other company but WCW I'd say this was so ridiculous as to be impossible. As it was, I barely even blinked when I read it.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

ColeM posted:

I also love the fact that Hall & Nash's contracts had a clause in it that enabled their pay to be bumped up if anyone entered the company and made more money than them.

According to Big Show, this included guest appearances like Rodman and Leno.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Here's a Wrestling Question That Doesn't Deserve Its Own Thread:

Memento1979 posted:

Also if I remember correctly, Hall and Nash's contracts were linked, so that as long as one of them was working, both of them got paid. So there was very little incentive for Scott to do anything when he knew that he would earn the same money sitting at home drinking while Nash was glory hounding all over the country.

ColeM posted:

Skinty McEdger posted:

According to Big Show, this included guest appearances like Rodman and Leno.

Welp, that answers that question!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ColeM posted:

It was not anyone.
It was a list of about 10 people.
Hall listed Nash and told him to ask for more money when he came over.

Bret was on both lists and the rest were WWE lifers like Shawn and Undertaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

ColeM posted:

Holy poo poo, between this, the 300+ wrestlers WCW had on its payroll, and Lanny Poffo making a six-figure salary for years despite never stepping one toe in a WCW ring, I wish I had been born 10 years earlier with a even shred of athletic talent so I could've entered wrestling and got a piece of the WCW gravytrain too.

It blows my mind how much money one single wrestling company tossed away in just 10 years.