Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Chernabog posted:

I used to live in Redmond, nice place. You should go to the beer Wednesday, seattle chapter (it is actually in redmond), lots of cool people over there.

It's on the to-do list now. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Aliginge posted:

With respect, that's actually added weight in favour of unionisation...

For upper level highly skilled jobs in any industry, not just games, the power swings to the employee because they are highly in demand and not in great supply. If more jobs appear in other sectors then that leaves the skilled employee in a better negotiating position with a given company. Organising with other similarly highly skilled workers in other companies and using their collective bargaining power is just an extension of that.
This is not how/why unions traditionally form. They traditionally form because individuals (and groups) do not have the power to negotiate things on their own terms.

quote:

If there is anything I could see as stopping unionisation in the games industry it's that it'd be quite easy to slip in a clause somewhere in the back pages of an employee contract disallowing union organisation full stop. In fact I imagine this is what happens already in some companies.
I have never seen such a clause in any contract I have ever signed, nor have I heard of such a clause in any contract any other developers has signed.

quote:

I picked those purely because they are among the biggest, but I'm sure the same could be said of many other companies.
It also couldn't be said of many other companies, which is my point. The game industry is not early 20th century Appalachian coal mining. It's not even 1920s Hollywood, where a small number of studios turned the screws on the majority of workers. It's also important to note that when SAG formed, the initial reticence to join often came from successful actors because they were already in a position of relative power and freedom, outside of any support organization.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I'm going to whore for just a bit here, but it's also the only chance I'll have to see any of the regular crew at E3 this year, so hopefully that makes it a little more okay.

Anyone who's going to be in the neighborhood of E3 next Tuesday, there's going to be a free comedy night at the Suede Bar down the street from the Convention Center. And what's more, the bar and kitchen proceeds will be going towards The Foundation, so get drunk and eat bar food while listening to comedians for charity! :iamafag:

Event Page: http://www.facebook.com/events/397279030311584/

And even if you can't go, please tell all your friends and co-workers who might! :shobon:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Speaking of, who's going to E3? I'll be there with some work friends.

Carfax Report
May 17, 2003

Ravage the land as never before, total destruction from mountain to shore!

I'll be there.

The most interesting part of the show will be seeing another step of our industry's expansion beyond consoles. Even Facebook is having a cocktail hour.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Carfax Report posted:

The most interesting part of the show will be seeing another step of our industry's expansion beyond consoles. Even Facebook is having a cocktail hour.
Meanwhile, what I'm most looking forward to is seeing if either MS or Sony unveils their new console, heh.

... though that said, a case could be made that they've both got to step beyond consoles too. I expect the next generation will look more like set top boxes acting as fronts to digital environments and marketplaces.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Pixelboy posted:

The studios are great. Just a huge raise in it for me...

Welcome to Redmond: Boring as hell but within a 15 minute drive of EVERYTHING, including 90% of Washington's game industry.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

mutata posted:

Speaking of, who's going to E3? I'll be there with some work friends.

I'm going for the first time this year (got a job last summer in the industry after many years of trying).

Any advice on how best to approach a day at E3? I've only ever been to events like PAX, and friends tell me E3 is pretty crazy.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

rope kid posted:

I have never seen such a clause in any contract I have ever signed, nor have I heard of such a clause in any contract any other developers has signed.
I'm pretty sure such clauses are illegal in the US.

I keep wondering about Jason Rubin's predictions when stuff like this comes up: He claimed that brands were basically worthless compared to talent, and that would drive better conditions as studios realized they could siphon off the quality talent from lovely studios. The Infinity Ward incident is probably the first major test of that theory and I'm very interested to see how it plays out.

e: Basically, I think the problem it might solve itself to an extent, that and I'm not sure how union efforts would fare in an industry where studios implode pretty often.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 29, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm pretty sure such clauses are illegal in the US.

I keep wondering about Jason Rubin's predictions when stuff like this comes up: He claimed that brands were basically worthless compared to talent, and that would drive better conditions as studios realized they could siphon off the quality talent from lovely studios. The Infinity Ward incident is probably the first major test of that theory and I'm very interested to see how it plays out.

Yes. The National Labor Relations Act makes it illegal to terminate someone's employment for engaging in lawful collective bargaining (in the private sector). I believe there are some limited exceptions, but it's been a while since I've read the act.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Are non-competes legal as well? I have heard that in some states it isn't.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I think it varies by state and they're illegal in California.

e: Yeah apparently most states allow non-compete clauses but some require them to be narrow and California has very strict ban on them that basically limits them to company owners.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 28, 2012

Diaghilev
Feb 19, 2005

The final argument of kings and common men.
Pennsylvania, too, if I remember correctly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Toasta posted:

I'm going for the first time this year (got a job last summer in the industry after many years of trying).

Any advice on how best to approach a day at E3? I've only ever been to events like PAX, and friends tell me E3 is pretty crazy.

If you're exhibits only and not press, it's pretty ok. Just havgue some companies and properties in mind and use a floor map. Go find the stuff you really want to see first and don't be afraid to have yelling-conversations with people. Ask about e3 events that are going on. Don't forget to check out the little unknown companies after you've seen your top picks, that's why they're there. Lookup some eating options outside of the convention center beforehand. Be ready to pack a bag of poo poo around.

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!
Any of you Seattle folks know anything about the work environment Big Fish games and would be willing to send me a PM about it? I've got an acquaintance over there who is trying to bring me in as a developer, and I'd like to get some perspective on the culture.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Well, they donated $100 to us in exchange for putting their logo up on our site, so there's that. :unsmith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I hear it's overrun with gophers.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Despite me personally moving to another studio, our studio here in Vancouver has some openings. I'm looking for a Lead Multiplayer Engineer, an AI engineer, and an multiplayer engineer. Generic web page for us is at http://www.mgsvancouver.com/

Filter on the resumes: Xbox 360 experience, previous experience with AAA titles, 10-ish years of experience.

If you have no fear of sending your paperwork to random strangers on the internet, you can contact me at (ROT13) tert@tnzvatchaqvg.pbz , and I'll make sure it at least lands on the correct person's desk.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Apparently some of the 38 Studios people are taking the RI governor to task for what's looking more and more like a political move that ruined the studio to score points. So much for "Job Creators", I suppose.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
THQ is shuffling the exec deck: http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/29/thq-bilson-leaving-firm-rubin-appointed-president/

Jason Rubin is replacing Danny Bilson and co.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Pixelboy posted:

Filter on the resumes: Xbox 360 experience, previous experience with AAA titles, 10-ish years of experience.
Junior position then? :v:

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Aliginge posted:

Junior position then? :v:
Yeah. :) that being said... It's a great team so far.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here work in New Zealand? I've noticed there's a growing number of companies; checking a few years ago there seemed to be three or four and now there's double that at least. I'm still guessing getting a job in NZ from abroad is pretty difficult?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Dinurth posted:

For any of those interested in the Austin area, we are looking for a couple programmers, specifcally a Tools programmer, a Gameplay programmer, and an AI programmer.

You can see the jobs posted here: http://www.lightboxinteractive.com/jobs/
(AI programmer has not been posted quite yet).

I may not be in the Austin area (or Texas, for that matter), but I still sent my resume in :tipshat:

It's a bit late for it now but I suppose I should ask, any of these positions entry-level?

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

OneEightHundred posted:

I think it varies by state and they're illegal in California.

e: Yeah apparently most states allow non-compete clauses but some require them to be narrow and California has very strict ban on them that basically limits them to company owners.
Always wondered whether that was the big reason that Silicon Valley exploded the way it did.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Does anyone here work in New Zealand? I've noticed there's a growing number of companies; checking a few years ago there seemed to be three or four and now there's double that at least. I'm still guessing getting a job in NZ from abroad is pretty difficult?

Companies are required by law to hire domestically unless they can successfully argue that they need a specific foreigner for specific reasons. Basically, you have to be better or more valuable than any New Zealander who wants that job.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think that's standard for most countries. If the job market sucks as it is, trying to get a job somewhere else is even worse.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You also can't be fat.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Not fat, putting that to the top of my C.V

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

mutata posted:

Companies are required by law to hire domestically unless they can successfully argue that they need a specific foreigner for specific reasons. Basically, you have to be better or more valuable than any New Zealander who wants that job.
Someone I know got hired over there, and they had an extremely limited skillset. I think anyone with actual skills and a few years under their belt stands a decent chance of being hired over there.

That said...

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shalinor posted:

Someone I know got hired over there, and they had an extremely limited skillset. I think anyone with actual skills and a few years under their belt stands a decent chance of being hired over there.

That said...

Oh god...

KILLLLLLL IT WITH FIRE

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Is that AM or PM?

VVVVVV Edit: Going to bed now, thanks.

cgeq fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 31, 2012

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

cgeq posted:

Is that AM or PM?

AM; if it was PM the spider would be in your bed, not behind your clock.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
What if you're a fat New Zealander?

That can't be from here, I think it's Australian.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
NZ doesn't have big spiders! It's perfect. Mr NZ Prime Minister, if you're reading this please employ me.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Hamshot posted:

That can't be from here, I think it's Australian.
There's a giant brain spider on your head, controlling your thoughts. It used to live behind your clock.

... also, just one more day until SA GameDev, woo! It always saps my time, but I just have so much fun seeing what people pop out, it makes it worth it :3:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Shalinor posted:

... also, just one more day until SA GameDev, woo! It always saps my time, but I just have so much fun seeing what people pop out, it makes it worth it :3:

I am really looking forward to entering this year! :D

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
I can't wait :dance:
I'll try to squeeze something out this time too, because this competition owns bones, and it kickstarted my career in games industry

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I am gonna enter too, I need a new portfolio piece and solo projects are not really my thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Waiting for my travel details, but I'm being flown out to a major studio for an on-site interview.

It's nice to have some better interview action, it's been slow going around here.