Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

JohnnyMondo posted:

Plenty of rock bands play their songs the exact same way every show, and if you followed them on tour you might see a pretty drat identical set 2 nights in a row. That doesn't make the show any less fun for the audience.

Comedians do the same thing.

Though there is a difference. A rock band actually has to play their songs. A comedian has to actually deliver the lines and be funny. Neither of those things are going to be as easy as pressing Play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

JohnnyMondo posted:

I agree that it's cool to see live electronic music, but it's pretty ridiculous to claim that everyone else is being "fooled" into enjoying themselves. Plenty of rock bands play their songs the exact same way every show, and if you followed them on tour you might see a pretty drat identical set 2 nights in a row. That doesn't make the show any less fun for the audience.

Also, for me live music is mostly just about hearing music super loving loud. The biggest difference between seeing someone live and playing their album at home is mainly just how loving loud live music is. It commands your attention and doesn't allow room for anything else, and that's really what I'm paying for.

No, hes saying laptops are ruining it. Especially "live" electronic music. Hes not complaining about people that do it the same every night, he is saying its lame everybody does nothing at all. I completely agree its becoming absolutely refuckingdiculous. Ive recommended using serato instead of live to play music because its more live to the audience and it really is more live.

I remember years ago before I had played so much but still had started as a hobby and really had no idea what was going on and i got on stage during a rowdy rear end bassnectar show and got up behind him to see how loving amazing bassnectar would be at ableton.

Oh yea, i was tripping balls on acid.

I am instantly horrified at what i see. I notice he has like 15-20 clips total spread out on like 4 channels. He has them going into a xone 62 and he has a maudio drumpad thing and 2 cjd 100s turned off.

He has the clips mapped to like 1 button on his controller and a beatrepeat or something.

Then he would click play, check it in headphones just in case, then raise the volume on the 62. He only used 2 tracks on the xone. Then he would touch everything and swing his hair in cicles, wait 3 minutes and repeat the routine.

I left horrified of what i had found and vowed to never see him again, im sure the lsd was messing with my emotions at least a little tho haha!

But today, i feel like whatever if thats his thing thats his thing. I personally would use techs and scratch and mix and whatever, but i figure maybe he never used techs really or hates them so whatever. Hes on stage and were just a bunch of nerds with our dicks in our hands, so i mean you have that too.

Im not sure what the answer is, yeah everyone does the same set every night or it wouldnt be that good because they havnt practiced it, but doing nothing at all is pretty loving gay and is def. the easy way out no matter how you look at it.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

JohnnyMondo posted:

I agree that it's cool to see live electronic music, but it's pretty ridiculous to claim that everyone else is being "fooled" into enjoying themselves. Plenty of rock bands play their songs the exact same way every show, and if you followed them on tour you might see a pretty drat identical set 2 nights in a row. That doesn't make the show any less fun for the audience.

That's not my point at all. As epswing already said, a rockband needs to actually play their songs, and a comedian needs to tell his jokes. However marginal there is a possibility of failure and thus a certain level of skill required to put on this show. We they are doing on stage is something most people can't, hence you pay to see it and you most likely enjoy it while doing so.
But then then you have someone like Skrillex (no hate, just a good example). He doesn't perform his music, he just plays it out loud, ads some silly FX, a funny dance, some fireworks at the end, and all of a sudden this is on the same plane as all these bands and groups that have painstakingly crafted a real live-act over the years? I beg to differ.
Im not arguing the fun-factor of it all, but don't you think it's kind of sad that the current generation of kids is made to believe that these are live-shows, while they are pretty much the complete opposite?

Performing a solid electronic-music live show is probably one of the hardest things to do, it takes years to master all the machines and equipment, but then the result is truly magic.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

fordan posted:

A DJ on another forum I'm on apparently got asked why he didn't include Levels in a megamix he did. So he did a new mix, here's the track list:

Seinfeld - I'm Building Levels
Levels Avicii
Calling vs. Levels (Shaltielo Mashup) Sebastien Ingrosso Ft. Alesso
Good Levels Feeling (Massivedrum vs ''sickindividuals Remix'' Bootleg) Flo-Rida vs Avicii
Levels ( US DRM Edit ) Avicii/www.djrobsonmichel.com
Levels (Alex Ramos 2012 Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Allan Abdalla Remix 2012) Avicii
Levels Right On Time (Bkg Bootleg) Avicii vs. Syndicate Of Law
Avicii - Levels (Saradis Christmas Feeling Edit) Avicii
Levels (Sergi Moreno & Sack Muller Remix) Avicii
Levels Trackster (Rave Radio Bootleg) Avicii vs Miles Dyson
Best Of Levels (David Puentez Mash Bootique 2012) Avicii
Levels (John von Wh1te Mashup) Peter Luts vs. Avicii
Drifting Levels (Rudedog vs Felix Leiter Bootleg) Avicii vs Rudedog
DYNAMITE LEVELS (((POWER HOUR MASH-MIX))) Taio Cruz/Avicii/DJ DEVILLE
Hello Loca Levels vs. Lunar (Andrew G Monster Mashup) Avicii vs. D. Guetta & Afrojack vs. Sak Noel
Flash Levels (Marco Zanfardino 2012 ReDUB) Avicii & Clockwork vs Green Velvet & Nicky Romero vs A.M.R
Good Feeling (Levels Version) (Dark Intensity Remix) Flo Rida feat. Avicii
Good Feelin' Levels (Cloud Epic Rework Mashup) Avicii vs Flo Rida
Levels (Blaster & Smyle Remix) Avicii
Levels (Danilo Costa Instrumental Cover Edit) Avicii
Levels (Dirty Freek Remix) Avicii
I Just Wanna gently caress vs. Levels (Shaltielo Mashup) Avicii & Baltimore Club
Levels (Exclusive House Rework) DJ BeatBreaker / DJMAKJ / Avicii
Levels (Felix Leiter's Digital Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Funk D Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Good Feeling) (Gordon & Doyle Mashup) Avicii feat. Flo Rida
Levels (Hardwell Next Levels Bootleg) Avicii
Stereo Levels ( Chuckie Mash Up DRM ) Avicii
Sunshine Levels (Sndrz Bootleg) Avicii & David Guetta
Super Bass (Delirious Levels Mix) Clean DJ Delirious
Levels (Jao Miranda Version) Avicii
Levels (Jason Alamo Best Of Bootleg) Avicii, Hardwell, Skrillex, Cazzette, Clockwork
Levels (Kingz Dutch Anthem) Anthem Kingz
DWhere Them Levels At (Djs From Mars Mashup) David Guetta vs. Avicii
Levels (Matt Cox Remix) Aviici
Levels (Melody Crew Remix Edit) Avicii
Levels (Olav Basoski's Sunday Morning Mix) Avicii
Levels (Phillipe Boulevard Remix) Avicii Ft. Etta James
Levels (Rafa Carneiro Boom Edit 2012) Avicii
Levels (The Moogs Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tocadisco Mix) Avicii
Levels vs Levels 'clockwork Remix' (Del Pello Mashup) Avicii vs Etta Jones
Next Levels (TheFatRat Remix) Avicii
Show Me Levels (Michael B. & Denny Delano Bootleg) Steve Angello vs. Avicii
Give Me All Your Levels (Toy Armada Da Vicii Mash Up) Madonna vs. Avicii
Levels (E-Thunder Private) Avicii
Levels (Marlo Bootleg Remix) Avicii
Levels (Inexus Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tyr Remix) Avicii
Levels (Skrillex Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tiagoleiria 88bpm Remix) Avicii

You cant drop something this amazing without a link

keevo posted:

It's definitely safe to say that David Guetta does his stuff live. Check out his really amazing five minute long build up of Levels he managed to use with that new Pioneer effects box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LQ5zLdLSAFQ#t=615s

http://youtu.be/LkERt-geXfg

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 11, 2012

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

vanilla slimfast posted:

How old are you, seriously?

What? Was it not obvious that I was kidding about thinking that clip was good?

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Sorry I had fun at the Justice show guys, I guess I didn't understand that it was a terrible show

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Show is actually the best definition so far, as opposed to performance or gig :v:

No but seriously, I'm not saying it isn't fun, I've seen the Prodigy many times and they are about as un-live as it gets, but I always enjoy the show. It's just that the bands that actually do a real live electronics-performance should get some more love and respect and don't deserve to be thrown on the same heap with all these show-bands by calling them live-acts.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

mitztronic posted:

You cant drop something this amazing without a link

Remember, you're the one who asked for this, a 2-hour Levels mix: http://official.fm/tracks/366801

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

You know, I didn't believe it could possibly be real, but there it is.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

You know, I didn't believe it could possibly be real, but there it is.

theres a loving acoustic version in there, its pretty hilarious.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Do any of you herberts use video at your gigs? I'm thinking about making the jump...I'm the last audio only hold-out in my posse.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Do any of you herberts use video at your gigs? I'm thinking about making the jump...I'm the last audio only hold-out in my posse.
Im trying to its just SO MUCH work i cant ever finish it and it hasnt happened yet. I bought a djm700 to mix video years ago and ive already sold it without ever doing video.

Ive been to clubs with video and i swear it makes people like zombies and they just stare at the screens so im not sure if i even like it to be honest.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

You can kill it with video (look up any Peanut Butter Wolf video set) but I think it's actually a bad idea when you're just playing da hitz. Just show some old movie on the screen and play audio, honestly, because otherwise people just stare at the screens instead of getting drunk and loving like they're supposed to.

ALSO PLEASE LINK THE LE7ELS MEGAMIX I MUST HAVE IT

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Muck and Mire posted:

ALSO PLEASE LINK THE LE7ELS MEGAMIX I MUST HAVE IT

Look up 5 posts.

I finished listening to it. I think I may now have a pavlovian twitch anytime I hear "Ohhhhhhh sometimes" or the "da da da dadada dada da da da da da da."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fordan posted:

Remember, you're the one who asked for this, a 2-hour Levels mix: http://official.fm/tracks/366801

Wow. 13 minutes in and I already feel like I've had enough forever...

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

That goddamn song, I swear to god.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
That levels tape is probably the ultimate weapon in hostage-situations. The'll be done with it in a matter of minutes. :suicide:

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Ugh okay I have a gig tomorrow but just got dropped with the information that because of the license I'm not allowed to touch the decks after 11pm until they get a new license. I'm playing 8pm-4am. This is dumb and ridiculous and I'll probably just ignore it but I need a backup in case it gets enforced.

I COULD pre-record a bunch of mixes but I have nowhere near enough time.

I need something that can auto-fade BUT will bring the next track in at full volume. Traktor, Mixxx and Virtual DJ all slide the crossbar over but it sounds awful when the next song fades in so I need it to fade out the last song then bring the next one in at a normal level. Even if I fade in fade out cue all the tracks I want to use I just can't get the next song to come in at full volume in anything.

The music is background music for a club, not a proper edm style mixing scenario or a performance, just need to get smoothly from one song into the next.

I think I can automate this in Mixmeister but it's horrible, awful software and generally an absolute piece of poo poo. If an interesting idea.

HELP. What I would probably be best off is radio automation software but :10bux: x 30 for what'll be two weeks. I also know nothing about it.

Edit: Mac software must be compatible with 10.5 PPC, I have an absolutely ancient Powerbook G4 or a Windows laptop to work with.

vv: Completely the venue's fault and I am livid because I've put a dickload of work into promoting it and putting the night together. Just trying to get as close to what I'd normally be doing so it isn't completely apparent that I'm running an iTunes playlist. MediaMonkey is doing an okay job at the moment but I'm feeling very wary of it. I know how to set Traktor up with a mixer, hoping I'll be able to get it plugging through USB before everything's starting.

number one pta fan fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 17, 2012

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
That sounds like the venue's fault. I'd just put together an iTunes playlist or something in case it came to that. What can they realistically expect?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

seconding itunes playlist

that sounds straight up retarded

Fawkes
Apr 6, 2004

number one pta fan posted:

I need something that can auto-fade BUT will bring the next track in at full volume. Traktor, Mixxx and Virtual DJ all slide the crossbar over but it sounds awful when the next song fades in so I need it to fade out the last song then bring the next one in at a normal level.

Couldn't you use each deck's individual sliders instead of the main crossfader?

I know some DJs who never use the main crossfader because the individual sliders give much more precise fading control.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I'm confused by this scenario - they have a permit for sound / music, but something is preventing the use of turntables specifically?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I'm confused by this scenario - they have a permit for sound / music, but something is preventing the use of turntables specifically?

it sounds like a plot out of some cartoon or something.

i mean thats not really a law right? "no turntables after 11 OR WERRR TAKIN YOU TOO JAIL!"

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Foobar 2000 with the Continuator DSP plugin. I used that combo to run an automated internet radio station for about 2 years.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

PCDJ has a pretty good radio fade function, but honestly, just automate it in mixmeister IMO.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

e: ignore me i am dum.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Whoa! I've got my first real gig. Turns out several of my buddies who promote shows here in Toronto actually know one another (not that big of a surprise but still, small world). I'll be playing at Nocturne tomorrow night. Not expecting a big crowd given the holiday weekend but I'm pretty stoked/nervous. The promoter told me "the less top40, the better" and I smiled.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Mister Speaker posted:

Whoa! I've got my first real gig. Turns out several of my buddies who promote shows here in Toronto actually know one another (not that big of a surprise but still, small world). I'll be playing at Nocturne tomorrow night. Not expecting a big crowd given the holiday weekend but I'm pretty stoked/nervous. The promoter told me "the less top40, the better" and I smiled.

Hey congrats! My friends are actually on the bill with you tonight! I play Nocturne once in a while, I've known the guys who work there and throw these parties for a long time. Toronto's scene is indeed very tight knit, but these guys are legit.

Nocturne is also great because even if you don't get too many people out you're still playing on a club sound system with lasers and lights and beer and poo poo. Also you can get away with playing almost whatever you want. I usually play the side room and I bump everything from berlin techno to UK garage to deep house.

I wanted to come out but I'm on a party diet until I move July 1st.

Have fun :)

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Just got a Novation Twitch yesterday and I love it so far. I was able to pick up some beat-juggling stuff pretty quickly and I have very little DJ experience. I have a show in six weeks so I'm going to spend a lot of time with this thing. Not sure if I'll stick with Serato Itch or use their Ableton template.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Firaga posted:

Hey congrats! My friends are actually on the bill with you tonight! I play Nocturne once in a while, I've known the guys who work there and throw these parties for a long time. Toronto's scene is indeed very tight knit, but these guys are legit.

Thanks! Would your friends happen to me MemRX and Diggy Tots? If so, they were awesome!!! MemRX is ridiculously fast, and the originals they played were incredible. It was pretty much exactly as you describe; like I said the place wasn't even supposed to be OPEN so it only filled up at like 1AM, long after my set was over. That said, Matt and everyone else seemed to like what I did, and there were comments about putting me on one of their 'Twisted Tuesday' bills, so I'm stoked! Been riding that elation for most of the week and it's done well for me, but just tonight a friend texted that we may have a spot at 751! Needless to say, I'm feeling unnaturally good about this silly 'playing records' thing.

Oh yeah, and you were also right about the atmosphere - I totally dig the lighting/video setup. Trippy.

n00b
Jul 13, 2006
Silly question, but how long did it take you to feel comfortable going after live gigs or playing in public? I recently got back into DJ'ing, used to have turntables and now upgraded to CDJ's - I'd say I have all the basic skills down (beatmatching, setlist selection & construction, little tips & tricks to throw into a mix, etc.) but certainly wouldn't call myself a professional, or even skilled.

How did all you SA DJ's get started playing live? How did you migrate from your bedroom/basement to playing in pubs/clubs/bars/parties? I'd love to play music to a crowd, but have no idea if I'm ready yet.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I still don't think I'm good, just lucky.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Getting gigs: have skill, have music, have friends that throw parties, have the balls to ask, have other friends attending your gigs, have fun.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone here tried V-Moda Fader 2 headphones?

edit: I went ahead and bought them, I'll post impressions when I get them.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 30, 2012

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

n00b posted:

Silly question, but how long did it take you to feel comfortable going after live gigs or playing in public? I recently got back into DJ'ing, used to have turntables and now upgraded to CDJ's - I'd say I have all the basic skills down (beatmatching, setlist selection & construction, little tips & tricks to throw into a mix, etc.) but certainly wouldn't call myself a professional, or even skilled.

How did all you SA DJ's get started playing live? How did you migrate from your bedroom/basement to playing in pubs/clubs/bars/parties? I'd love to play music to a crowd, but have no idea if I'm ready yet.

House parties with/for friends are a good way to start, you can practice without having to worry about dealing with money or venues. As a note, the first time I heard "can you play something we can dance to" was about 7 minutes after starting to play at my first house party so you will learn a lot of skills that translate to the club.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sjoewe posted:

Getting gigs: have skill, have music, have friends that throw parties, have the balls to ask, have other friends attending your gigs, have fun.

Basically this. I'm notoriously insecure and I think that's been my biggest impediment, not only in DJing, but in anything music-related. "Check out my beats, they're OK...", "I'm sure it's not really your kind of thing", etc. Getting a gig is just about confidence and persistence, and a little bit of networking can help - do you know a guy, who knows a guy who books shows? Contact that guy and don't sell yourself short. I'm kicking myself for not letting my balls drop sooner. But things are going spectacularly now, with connections at Nocturne, a gig this Sunday at 751 Lounge (with potential to become a weekly! - I can't take the credit for that, it was my buddy Mac Magnum who got the gig) and possibilities at Crawford and others.

As stated above, house parties are great too. I spun a friend's Birthday party and it was almost all Dancehall, which I know nothing about. Plus they heckled me like crazy ("play something less gay") when I did try to play D&B or Dubstep. Gets you out of your comfort zone which can be important.

EDIT: poo poo, while I'm talking out my rear end I might as well post A Link To This Sunday's Debauchery.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 30, 2012

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Being kinda shy/modest about yourself and your own style is something we pretty much all have to deal with, but that's why you have to get past that. If you invest some time in your network and back your talk up with skill no-one will blame your for asking.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Alright, all my fellow laptop djs, any recommendations for a powered usb hub? I am going to be adding some new stuff to my setup and am out of ports.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I used a generic D-link USB 2 hub and didnt have any problems with it. Just don't connect your audio interface to the hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I have a couple of these guys, and I have never had any issues with them - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K3Y2MM