Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any non-War grandparenty acceptable interesting shows to suggest?
NETFLIX does a great job hiding more then three things in any given subject.
It feels off that there is only like one ocean documentary and wildlife documentary.
Took some serious delving to find Terry Jones's show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Junkie Disease posted:

It feels off that there is only like one ocean documentary and wildlife documentary.

Maybe travel documentaries? Michael Palin has a ton of good ones.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Manky posted:

Last night I wanted to watch a scary movie, and had heard good things about Let the Right One In. I actually liked it a lot! I'm not sure I'd really call it a horror movie, but it has some great tension.

It's a straight up vampire story. Why wouldn't you call it a horror movie? That's what it is.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, or that show with the Stephen Fry traveling across America, if they like travel.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

It's a straight up vampire story. Why wouldn't you call it a horror movie? That's what it is.

I was never horrified? Haha, I don't know - I mean, the focus wasn't on a group of antagonists trying to persevere against some terrible situation/protagonist. The main characters are never in danger except for the bully plot and the murder victims are all completely inconsequential and half the time actually unknown. I might just have an incredibly cliche idea of the horror genre - actually very likely, I watch probably three "scary" movies a year - but by my definitions it was a drama/coming of age story that happened to have a vampire.

I mean, isn't the classic straight-up vampire story usually about someone/s being terrorized by a vampire and subsequently someone/s hunting the vampire?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Manky posted:

I was never horrified? Haha, I don't know - I mean, the focus wasn't on a group of antagonists trying to persevere against some terrible situation/protagonist. The main characters are never in danger except for the bully plot and the murder victims are all completely inconsequential and half the time actually unknown. I might just have an incredibly cliche idea of the horror genre - actually very likely, I watch probably three "scary" movies a year - but by my definitions it was a drama/coming of age story that happened to have a vampire.

I mean, isn't the classic straight-up vampire story usually about someone/s being terrorized by a vampire and subsequently someone/s hunting the vampire?

I'm not mad at you or anything, but yeah, you have an incredibly cliched sense of what must constitute "horror". The "group of protagonists" thing I'm guessing is a product of American "horror" movies since the 80's with the "protagonists" usually meaning "teenagers", I suppose.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just found the Fry show. Excellent stuff. Thank you for reminding me that Pailin had a great show too. I don't care how they do it get back Ghibli HD movies.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

I'm not mad at you or anything, but yeah, you have an incredibly cliched sense of what must constitute "horror". The "group of protagonists" thing I'm guessing is a product of American "horror" movies since the 80's with the "protagonists" usually meaning "teenagers", I suppose.

Yeah, I'll admit that one. I stand by my other points though. The only thing that matters is that I liked the movie, however you want to categorize it!

I also finally started watching How I Met Your Mother, because I'm somehow seven years behind pop culture. I was enjoying it a lot until the bullshit episodes with Buttercup. At that point the whole sappy dumb thing just made me turn it off and never want to watch it again. Tell me, does it recover, or does it stay at that level of over-excited, under-sexed, pre-pubescent fantasy? I can take Ted being annoying and pathologically clingy, but I couldn't take that other crap.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That character is pretty much the only one of Ted's love interests people have ever really liked, so I wouldn't hold out much hope if even she's pissing you off.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Any suggestions for a good, tense horror film? The horror section is pretty huge, but I always have trouble separating the wheat from the chaff.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just watched Grave Encounters last night due to the positive reviews on Netflix. Honestly, the 'box art' kinda steered me away from it which admittedly is a stupid reason not to watch a film. It's probably the best 'found footage' horror movie I've seen. Like every found footage horror movie, the first 30 minutes involves a lot of nothing, but it got way better than I expected it to. If you like supernatural type horror movies, you could do a lot worst than this.

I can't say I agree with the statement of "best found footage horror movie", but it is definitely a lot better than it has any right to be. However, I actually had a problem with a some of the special effects, as in I thought the effects they chose to focus on were odd choices, and some of the other scary scenes with a lot more potential were underdeveloped as a result. Also, I think this movie could have gone entirely without cgi and worked more with editing; the cgi was by far the weakest link. My final concern was that the ghosts had too much mass; that sounds like a really odd criticism, but what I mean is that they moved like normal people with fake blood on their face. You don't have to resort to cliches like cutting out frames or slightly speeding up the playback, but figure out something, or spend less time with the camera centered on the drat things. I also dug the scene taken EXACTLY from the lovely 1999 version of House on Haunted Hill. Of all the movies to rip off...

That being said, you might want to try this one, ape canyon.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

ape canyon posted:

Any suggestions for a good, tense horror film? The horror section is pretty huge, but I always have trouble separating the wheat from the chaff.

I like Susperia quite a bit.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

ape canyon posted:

I think it's been mentioned before in the thread, but House of the Devil is one of my favorites. Give it a shot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Samfucius posted:

I can't say I agree with the statement of "best found footage horror movie", but it is definitely a lot better than it has any right to be.

I guess I should clarify. I was trying to say it was the best I'd personally seen, and I guess I should have followed it up with I haven't seen every one. I've actually watched another good 'found footage' horror movie, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. It's a fairly cheesy movie but I couldn't help but enjoy it. It's about a serial killer in the vein of Jason or Mike Myers enthusiastically starting his career as a mass murderer, and inviting a group of journalists to show them how he manages to kill groups of teenagers.

Another pretty good one is Red State which is a new horror movie directed by Kevin Smith. There are glimpses of Kevin Smith humor in there but for the most part it's played as a normal movie.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sarchasm posted:

I think it's been mentioned before in the thread, but House of the Devil is one of my favorites. Give it a shot.

Seconding this. It's a wonderful change of pace from most of what's out there these days. It's a masterclass in building tension.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sarchasm posted:

This is a fantastic suggestion for a tense horror movie. I can't think of another one that is as committed to building tension for so long. Maniac is pretty good too, if you'd like to feel dirty.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

mds2 posted:

I like Susperia quite a bit.

Unfortunately, while Suspiria has been on streaming, it's DVD only right now. I saw this for the first time a year or so ago on Netflix Streaming (despite having grown up with it in theaters) and it's one of my favorites, possibly my very favorite horror movie ever. So scary and tense.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

ape canyon posted:

Check out Pontypool.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
So I originally assumed you were a horror guy and had probably seen all the common ones, but now I'm gonna go through and just list a bunch that I think are worth watching, even if I think a lot of people have seen them.

In no particular order:

Nosferatu - I am generally pretty bored by old horror movies, but I was seriously impressed by this movie from 1929. Check it out.
Shiver - Made by some of the same people as Pan's Labyrinth, this is much more a straight up horror movie, but it is by no means mindless. If you don't mind subtitles, you might want to try it.
The Others - Due to its release coinciding pretty closely with 9/11 a lot of people didn't see this until a lot later (my mother and I needed to get away and saw this movie in a theater that was literally empty on a Friday night, a really bizarre experience to be sure). It is not a masterpiece, but some of the most innocuous scenes creeped me the hell out. Why was looking around a room filled with cloth covered furniture in the middle of the day so terrifying? I have no idea, but it still gives me the willies.
Pontypool - Ultimately a ridiculous premise, but I really dug its focus on audio horror ;) One of the more original movies here.
Trick r' Treat - One of the absolutely must-sees on the list, making horror movies fun again made this loving rock.
Videodrome - I put off watching this for a long time because I just couldn't work up the interest (despite liking every Cronenberg movie I had ever seen). A huge regret, because it's the tits. Body horror off the loving charts, and cool as all hell. Long live the new flesh.
The Fly (1986) - Cronenberg and Goldblum are awesome, Brundlefly is gross, and the movie is fun as hell. Score another point for Cronenberg body-horror.
The Evil Dead - A camp classic; I'm sure you've seen it, but if not do so right away. Keep in mind that camp != bad movie.
The House of the Devil - Starts slow like a good horror movie should, only gets better. A blend of psycho people and satanic horror reminiscent (but not derivative) of Rosemary's Baby.
Trollhunter - The decision to cast a comedian as one of the main roles works magically, as he actually has the chops to pull off the whole "too old for this poo poo" shtick without hamming it up like an amateur. Not quite so dark as the other movies here.
Let the Right One In - Definitely overrated, but still great. Just not the "Best. Vampire Movie. Ever." as the cover art proclaims. Watch it for something pretty different, and deep enough for a couple viewings.
Audition - One of the best movies here in my eyes, because I love it when a movie saves most of its horror for the last thirty minutes. You will never look at dog bowls and burlap sacks the same way again.
Tokyo Gore Police - I got the pleasure of watching this movie in theaters, and loved it so much I bought the DVD as soon as it was for sale. Totally not for everybody though; it pretty much redefined ultra-violence for me, and the soundtrack is fittingly grating. Try it and know that it never stops escalating.
From Dusk till Dawn - If you do not know anything about this movie, go into it blind. Unfortunately, the Netflix description spoils one of my favorite mid-movie genre changes ever, so try your best to sneak past it.

There are definitely some more gems, but I'm gonna stop here. Feel free to let me know of any essentials I missed or disagreements you have.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Samfucius posted:

From Dusk till Dawn - If you do not know anything about this movie, go into it blind.

I can't second this enough. My friend was awesome enough to make me watch it for the first time without telling me more than you learn in the first few minutes of the flick. Totally awesome movie experience.

Think I'll watch House of the Devil tonight, you guys made me curious and I've never heard of it before today.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Samfucius posted:

So I originally assumed you were a horror guy and had probably seen all the common ones, but now I'm gonna go through and just list a bunch that I think are worth watching, even if I think a lot of people have seen them.

(snip)

Haha, I've seen all of those except Shiver, and about half of them in theatres. Definitely a great list though--The Others is criminally underrated. I'll check out Shiver tonight and probably rewatch House of the Devil.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just finished Everything Must Go and I'm not sure how I feel right now. I really liked the characters but man some of that was depressing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
From Dusk Til Dawn is fantastic, and if you haven't seen it you definitely should. When I was still in highschool I'd just been dumped by this girl I was crazy over. My dad put in From Dusk Til Dawn, which I'd never seen before, my mom made French toast, and all was right with the world. I can't think of many better ways to get over a breakup than that.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Samfucius posted:

Trollhunter - The decision to cast a comedian as one of the main roles works magically, as he actually has the chops to pull off the whole "too old for this poo poo" shtick without hamming it up like an amateur. Not quite so dark as the other movies here.

That guy's a comedian? I'd seriously never have guessed.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

ape canyon posted:

Haha, I've seen all of those except Shiver, and about half of them in theatres. Definitely a great list though--The Others is criminally underrated. I'll check out Shiver tonight and probably rewatch House of the Devil.

It's not on streaming, but I thought I would point out that I also really enjoy House of the Devil director Ti West's followup film, The Innkeepers. It's got that same sense of building tension, but the two leads are incredibly charming, his direction is much more assured, and it was actually filmed in the hotel where the crew stayed when they filmed House of the Devil. There were so many stories surrounding the place (and from the crew itself) that they just wrote and made a horror movie about it.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

Hewlett posted:

It's not on streaming, but I thought I would point out that I also really enjoy House of the Devil director Ti West's followup film, The Innkeepers. It's got that same sense of building tension, but the two leads are incredibly charming, his direction is much more assured, and it was actually filmed in the hotel where the crew stayed when they filmed House of the Devil. There were so many stories surrounding the place (and from the crew itself) that they just wrote and made a horror movie about it.

Innkeepers is pretty drat good. When I watched it I didn't give it my full attention and it came across as an impressively witty comedy (with the exception of the "failblog" line), but I could tell there was a lot I was missing. I've been meaning to revisit it.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

A few friends and I watched Earth Girls Are Easy the other night, and we aren't sure if what we saw was a real movie, or a crazy fever dream...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Aardvark Barber posted:

A few friends and I watched Earth Girls Are Easy the other night, and we aren't sure if what we saw was a real movie, or a crazy fever dream...
I have a soft spot for that movie. Really, just watching Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey, and Damon Wayans clown around for a while is hard to not enjoy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Samfucius posted:

Videodrome - I put off watching this for a long time because I just couldn't work up the interest (despite liking every Cronenberg movie I had ever seen). A huge regret, because it's the tits. Body horror off the loving charts, and cool as all hell. Long live the new flesh.

Just as a note, some people might have a problem streaming this film because all the dialogue audio will be on the left channel. All other sounds and music are correct, but the audio is only on one channel. If it bugs you too much, it's also available on Amazon's free Prime Instant Watch thing. Really, somehow watch Videodrome, I saw it for the first time last night and was not prepared for it. Incredibly good and disturbing.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Manky posted:

Yeah, I'll admit that one. I stand by my other points though. The only thing that matters is that I liked the movie, however you want to categorize it!

I also finally started watching How I Met Your Mother, because I'm somehow seven years behind pop culture. I was enjoying it a lot until the bullshit episodes with Buttercup. At that point the whole sappy dumb thing just made me turn it off and never want to watch it again. Tell me, does it recover, or does it stay at that level of over-excited, under-sexed, pre-pubescent fantasy? I can take Ted being annoying and pathologically clingy, but I couldn't take that other crap.

The first season of HIMYM is mediocre, but season 2-3 and to a lesser extent 4 are really really funny.

You might just skip ahead to season 2's "Slap Bet" and see if you like that, because it's still probably the best episode they ever did.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Ted's supposed to be something of a hopeless romantic, though as the show goes on they scale back on that a bit and make him a nice but sometimes douchey guy who is ready to settle down and start a family. Even if you don't like Ted's relationship with Buttercup/Victoria, she's not in the picture long enough to affect Season 1 much IMO. And as mentioned earlier, she ends up being more likeable than every one of Ted's later girlfriends save for Robin. At least until the season that just finished, where they brought her back and used her in the dumbest way imaginable.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
The framing device of How I Met Your Mother amuses me to no end. As a season long show I think it works fine, but I would get pretty pissed at my dad after he told me about the 30th chick he banged that wasn't even my mom.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ugh. That does not inspire hope. I'll probably give it another shot when I get desperate enough, though.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Network42 posted:

The framing device of How I Met Your Mother amuses me to no end. As a season long show I think it works fine, but I would get pretty pissed at my dad after he told me about the 30th chick he banged that wasn't even my mom.

The frustrating thing is a lot of us are mostly only watching for plot resolution at this point because the show itself has been very mediocre the past 3 or so seasons. But since syndication attracted a lot of new viewers to the show, it gets pretty good ratings now and both CBS and 20th Century Fox want to keep it going for as long as possible. So now The Mother plot mostly just goes around in circles.

That said, the early seasons are still some very funny television and well worth watching, though you might just want to pretend the series ended after Season 4 and imagine your own resolution to The Mother plot.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Manky posted:

Ugh. That does not inspire hope. I'll probably give it another shot when I get desperate enough, though.

Seasons 2-4 are fantastic and 100% worth watching. Does that inspire some hope?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Haha, yeah.

To minimize how much of this has been my bitching: I think they've been recommended before, but Peep Show and That Mitchell and Webb Look are amazing shows. It's the same two guys in both, but Peep Show is their sitcom and TMWL is their sketch comedy. I passed over both initially, but after my sister forced me to watch the later episodes of Peep Show, I discovered that after the first two seasons it becomes one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Peep Show I think requires a little investment to get used to it, as their gimmick of switching first person views is actually a bit alienating at first, but pretty quickly it's normal. TMWL is great sketch comedy, hit or miss of course, but with mostly great ideas, and it really showcases the two comedians' abilities. I'm no convinced that Rob Webb might the greatest physical comedian alive right now, his ability to transform himself between roles is nothing short of staggering. His character of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar is also consistently funny without getting run into the ground, no small feat.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Mitch and Webb was honestly the best sketch show i've ever seen, all the bits are at least somewhat funny and more than a handful are brilliant.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Network42 posted:

When the show first came out there was all this buzz about the framing aspect, because it meant that the storytelling could change years, change eras, even change characters completely, almost like Lost. Instead (I believe) they decided to keep it more or less chronological. My girlfriend and I tried watching the show, and it was just tedious. I gave up interest halfway through the first season, and she tried watching every fourth episode, eventually giving up. She loves sitcoms too, so it's no small feat to make her disinterested.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty sure it's been mentioned here before but Better off Ted is a wonderful show cut down before it's time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Volume posted:

Better off Ted

Manky posted:

How I Met Your Mother

Agreed, I really enjoyed the episode where Ted's wacky friends put him in an awkward position, and he ends up doing kind of a douchey thing for his own benefit. He attempts to convince himself that it's not a big deal, but his conscience gets the better of him and he confesses his wrongdoing to his attractive romantic-interest friend. She gets mad at Ted (and rightfully so), but only for about five minutes, at which point it is revealed that the "problem" the wacky friends created at the beginning of the episode is really a blessing in disguise. Truly a classic ep, IMHO.

• Locked thread