Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
I think I'm going to go buy that Lakland today, thanks for making me aware of its beauty scarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stongpa
Jan 14, 2012

"I am not, I will not be.
I have not, I will not have.
This frightens all children,
And kills fear in the wise."

~ Nagarjuna

Sweeper posted:

I think I'm going to go buy that Lakland today, thanks for making me aware of its beauty scarf

Good luck! I'm loving my my 44-01. They sound great stock, but there are a lot of modding options if you like to tweak your basses.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Sweeper posted:

Enjoy! And be sure to post some pictures.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
As a beginning bassist, I'm looking for something like this except for Bass:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanon-Exercises-Acquirement-Independence-Schirmers/dp/0793525446

For those unfamiliar with it, it's just a book of exercises for the piano t hat help you develop finger independence, even playing and general dexterity. It's incredibly good for developing technical skill and the foundations for crisp, clear, clean playing.

Does something like this exist for the Bass?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

People usually recommend Bass Fitness, there might be something more suitable though.

Actually on that note, does anyone have a good set of go-to videos that explain how to physically play? Really I'm thinking of the picking/plucking hand technique, expecially when it comes to muting and anchoring the thumb. I've seen some decent things but nothing comprehensive I can point people to and say 'that will cover everything you need to know to get going'

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
After 6 years of active basses, I finally got my first passive bass. I don't know why I waited so long, it turns out I've spent my whole time trying to dial in a standard Jazz bass tone from 3 band EQ EMG stuff.

I spent a ton of time last year playing every Fender Jazz bass I could get my hands on and hated every single one. The sound was good, but it just felt wrong. I stopped in a bass store (yes, Seattle has a dedicated bass store: http://www.bassnw.com/ (warning, 1999 web page design)) and walked out with a G&L JB. All the sound of the American fenders but with a slightly different neck profile that felt perfect in my hands. It seems to have a better bridge (locking as opposed to the floppy crap on standard Fenders) and is balanced really well.

It's so nice to be able to stop loving with 9 active EQ knobs, batteries, etc and just play the drat bass.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

How many of you have bought a used bass online without actually playing it? There seems to be a P-bass drought in my state, and the local Guitar Center is useless as it seems it's only stocking P-basses that are out of my price range.

I've seen some PURRTY basses on Talkbass but a lot of them are Franken-Ps, I'm looking at one that has an unknown body make but with a Squier Standard P Neck. I'm unfamiliar with the neck to a standard Squier. I'm coming from an SX P-bass copy that while served it's purpose, basically started deteriorating after a 9 day tour. I'm afraid of spending money and ending up right back where I started, an instrument that will fall apart on me in about a year.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Noise Machine posted:

How many of you have bought a used bass online without actually playing it? There seems to be a P-bass drought in my state, and the local Guitar Center is useless as it seems it's only stocking P-basses that are out of my price range.

I've seen some PURRTY basses on Talkbass but a lot of them are Franken-Ps, I'm looking at one that has an unknown body make but with a Squier Standard P Neck. I'm unfamiliar with the neck to a standard Squier. I'm coming from an SX P-bass copy that while served it's purpose, basically started deteriorating after a 9 day tour. I'm afraid of spending money and ending up right back where I started, an instrument that will fall apart on me in about a year.

I've found sales on talkbass to be pretty safe when it comes to buying without playing. The majority of sellers on there take really good care of their gear and are very honest about its condition. I have purchased 2 basses from Talkbass members and they're both in much better condition than what was described.

I've purchased 4 used online without trying before hand, no issues at all.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Noise Machine posted:

Both of my Laklands (although one was on the phone and came directly from the factory).

I know the going recommendation is to always play a bass before you buy it, but that isn't always possible. And I think that while it's really good advice, it's not quite as important if you're a more experienced player. Once you get to a certain point, you have an idea of what a bass is going to sound/feel like from its description. Of course there are exceptions, and it all comes down to the condition/quality of the instrument. But for that case, I think the more important part is buying from a source you know and can trust. If you can't play it beforehand, ALWAYS make sure you buy from a source that has a good return policy.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The only instrument I own that I played before purchasing is my little Martin LXME. Actually, thinking about it, I don't know if I've played more than two or three basses I've owned before buying it.

If you like P's and something has a P neck you're probably safe to buy it - you'll know in a week whether you bond with the bass or not, and if you don't just re-sell it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I bought a Kramer Ferrington electric-acoustic bass on eBay without having played one first. One of the best buys I've made, I still haven't heard a better-sounding electric-acoustic bass guitar.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Noise Machine posted:

Almost all my basses I've bought online and have only been disappointed a few times.

That being said, that bass on Talkbass is not worth $300. $300 is MIM money, not some half Squire half unknown bass.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I found a MIM P-bass fairly close to me that's cheap enough to buy. If it's not in a horrible state I might snatch it. I've been eyeballing the Squier VM/CV series again though. Apparently Fender took a big turn up in QC in 2008.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Noise Machine posted:

I found a MIM P-bass fairly close to me that's cheap enough to buy. If it's not in a horrible state I might snatch it. I've been eyeballing the Squier VM/CV series again though. Apparently Fender took a big turn up in QC in 2008.

MIM P's and J's are a great staple for any bassist. If you can afford the MIAs (even a HWY1 if you don't mind the badass bridge/greasebucket where applicable), or even an MIJ, go for it. But a 300 dollar range MIM can be quite a workhorse.

To continue posting up gear pics...here's my first MIM I bought years ago. Gigged with it for three years as my main bass. Never had any issues, except for a bit of hiss if both volumes were not turned all the way up. Prob could have been resolved if I looked into it or even cleaned the pots but it worked out just fine for me. This bass was purchased sight unseen - off of evilbay. Sold it years later on craigslist for a bit of a profit too. (bought: 230ish - sold: 350ish IIRC).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Schatten posted:

MIM P's and J's are a great staple for any bassist. If you can afford the MIAs (even a HWY1 if you don't mind the badass bridge/greasebucket where applicable), or even an MIJ, go for it. But a 300 dollar range MIM can be quite a workhorse.

To continue posting up gear pics...here's my first MIM I bought years ago. Gigged with it for three years as my main bass. Never had any issues, except for a bit of hiss if both volumes were not turned all the way up. Prob could have been resolved if I looked into it or even cleaned the pots but it worked out just fine for me. This bass was purchased sight unseen - off of evilbay. Sold it years later on craigslist for a bit of a profit too. (bought: 230ish - sold: 350ish IIRC).

I actually have a MIM Jazz that I really like, unfortunately it just doesn't fit with the type of sound that I want out of my bass now, but I'll still keep it around. I guess being on talkbass for so many years (I never go on it now, but I basically went on talkbass instead of doing my homework from 2001 to 2006) I have an inferiority complex for playing "only" a MIM bass instead of some MIA Fender with lush finish or a custom boutique 7 string with mult-quilted wood laminates, but the price is actually good where I could upgrade the shielding and pots, maybe even the bridge for about 100-150.

Edit: Within an hour, the price on the butterscotch Squier P dropped $100 :tinfoil: I think it might be a sign.

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 11, 2012

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Got my medium scale Warmoth Jazz parts in the mail today, and drove them out to my luthier. I'm really excited about the padouk/ebony neck; it looks and feels wonderful, and I can't wait to play it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RIP Donald "Duck" Dunn
Bassist for Booker T. and the MGs

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Hey guys, I've been playing bass for close to 10 years now. Never had any lessons, just loved RHCP and other types of music with awesome bass lines and jumped in.

I never learned theory or how to read sheet music, and only know the 4 open notes on my bass. I plan to keep it this way, I have a real knack for just playing by ear and want to continue doing it that way.

I do however want to learn how to slap/pop. I can kind of do it, but not well, and I can only reall slap the E string reliably and pop the G string.

Where can I go to find online tutorials (videos will help) on good exercises? I prefer the exercises to sound like an actual funky song too, to keep me interested.

Thanks a lot guys!

Sears Poncho
Oct 8, 2011
keep in mind that for me slapping and popping is a secondary thing, I tend to use it more for an accent here and there than for whole basslines, but I think I've got a good grasp on the basics. I got the hang of it by going from string to string doing different slap/pop combinations. Like I'd go on the E string and slap-pop-slap then go to the A and do the same thing, then next time maybe do 3 slaps then a pop, etc. This way you get used to doing both slaps and pops on all the strings. As you get better start adding in string skipping.

I combined this with finger independence exercises or scales so I was getting a left and right hand work out at the same time.

Also mess around with how close to the bridge your right hand is, just like anything else there is a wide range of tones you can get just by moving your hand up and down. I tend to play almost right on top of the fretboard.

Sears Poncho fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 13, 2012

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Scarf posted:

RIP Donald "Duck" Dunn
Bassist for Booker T. and the MGs

Kids if you want to be cool: Do what Duck Dunn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_mKy-a6d1I

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

I bought a Squier Jaguar VM bass today, I really like it except for the fret buzz on the 12th fret of the A string. I adjusted the neck for a little more relief and put the action on the A string fairly high (more than I'm comfortable with) and I still get fret buzz. My guess is a high fret, but I don't have any tools on me to accurately measure this. I plan on going back to the GC I bought it from and exchanging it for another one. Does this make sense or should I just find a good setup dude and pay for the repair?

Edit: for the record, I like a little more than "normal" relief in my neck and medium-high action.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Any opinions on using BEAD tuning? I'm sure it has its pros and cons (besides needing to setup for higher tension) and I'm curious if anyone has some experience with it.

My main motivation is seriously that I just rarely use the G string and it seems like a waste having a string I might play a few times a night. It sounds more high pitched than I would typically like to hear out of a bass, so I usually op to use a higher fret on a larger string. Would be nice to have a lower D sometimes too.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Summit posted:

Any opinions on using BEAD tuning? I'm sure it has its pros and cons (besides needing to setup for higher tension) and I'm curious if anyone has some experience with it.

My main motivation is seriously that I just rarely use the G string and it seems like a waste having a string I might play a few times a night. It sounds more high pitched than I would typically like to hear out of a bass, so I usually op to use a higher fret on a larger string. Would be nice to have a lower D sometimes too.

I strung my Jazz BEAD for a while. It can mess with your muscle memory for a few weeks while you get used to it. You may have to widen the slots in the nut of your bass, but I didn't find it to be necessary in my case. You'll probably need to turn your truss rod and adjust your bridge.

Personally I found that the twangy G string was caused more by the type of strings I was using than by tuning. I like the sound of high tension flats played in the middle of the neck. Really depends on your preference. Trevor Dunn plays a P strung BEAD in Fantomas and it sounds great.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

BEAD likely will have lower tension than EADG. You'll either need to modify your nut to fit the bigger strings, or a better option would be to get a new nut cut for BEAD, and keep the old one in case you want to switch back.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Alright bass thread, I need a new rig and I've got $1,000. I know getting something decent will be pretty dependent on what pops up in the local used market, but is there anything I should look out for that ought to be in my price range?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Alright bass thread, I need a new rig and I've got $1,000. I know getting something decent will be pretty dependent on what pops up in the local used market, but is there anything I should look out for that ought to be in my price range?

What kind of sound are you looking for? Rock, vintage, modern, bright, all-around?

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Scarf posted:

What kind of sound are you looking for? Rock, vintage, modern, bright, all-around?

I'm in a metal band and we tune pretty low (B and A) so I'd like something with some edge to it but still with clarity on the low stuff. Can't really skimp on the high-end though since I play too many fills and stuff.

(this was a complicated way to say "modern, rock and all-around")

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Were you thinking 5 string then?

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Summit posted:

Were you thinking 5 string then?

I'm actually playing an Ibanez SR500 set up for BEAD (I was gonna respond to your post asking about it, but I asked about it last page). Just to clarify, I'm looking for head/cab stuff, not an actual bass.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Although I'm not in love with mine like half of Talkbass is, a fearful 15/6 + as many watts you can throw at it sounds like it would work for you, mine is the deepest sounding cab I've ever played through and should have no problem with a low A. If you're handy you should be able to build one for under $700, and spend the rest on an amp (I used a GK MB800 with mine, but that would be well over your budget).

If you want only existing equipment, I see used Ampeg 410HLFs all the time for $500 or so, and they are also known for their low end extension. Pair one with a SVT-7 Pro (used about $500-600) and you'd have quite the capable rig.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Does anyone have any suggestion for a decent headphone practice device? I'm looking at an Apogee Jam for my iPad but I've never used one and have no idea if they're any good at handling bass signals. My wife and I just had a baby so playing through my normal rig is out of the question when he's sleeping (which is the only time I have a chance to play right now).

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Sacred Cow posted:

Does anyone have any suggestion for a decent headphone practice device? I'm looking at an Apogee Jam for my iPad but I've never used one and have no idea if they're any good at handling bass signals. My wife and I just had a baby so playing through my normal rig is out of the question when he's sleeping (which is the only time I have a chance to play right now).

I bought an apogee jam and use it with my iPad and garage band. As long as you have a good pair of headphones (I use Etymötic ER 4P) it sounds great. Garage Band is pretty incredible for $5.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

DrChu posted:

Although I'm not in love with mine like half of Talkbass is, a fearful 15/6 + as many watts you can throw at it sounds like it would work for you, mine is the deepest sounding cab I've ever played through and should have no problem with a low A.

Did you build your Fearful?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

TyChan posted:

Did you build your Fearful?

I start with a half-built shell (the previous owner got the speakerhardware flat pack) and finished it off. I think there's a couple pictures earlier in the thread.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
My output jack is making extremely loud crackling sounds when I move the bass around even a little bit. Does this mean there's a loose connection or something? Can I fix this myself? I have a gig tomorrow so it's quite urgent. Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this has been covered but I've dipped in and out of this thread.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is the nut on the jack itself loose? If so tighten it.
Open it up and look at it does it look like the wires are all connected properly or is one or the other look like it is frayed off?
The other thing to check is to just bend the blade that makes the contact for the jack in.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Al2001 posted:

My output jack is making extremely loud crackling sounds when I move the bass around even a little bit. Does this mean there's a loose connection or something? Can I fix this myself? I have a gig tomorrow so it's quite urgent. Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this has been covered but I've dipped in and out of this thread.

Do what Thumposaurus said but also have you tried a different cable?

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah cheers, I've tried a couple of leads and tried what Thumposaurus said too. Can't see anything obviously wrong. Might just buy a better bass tomorrow actually. This one is a piece of poo poo.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Yeah I'd be really remiss about trying out any number of five dollar fixes to your problem. Best just nuke that bass from orbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

I'll get it fixed at some point but I have a gig tomorrow and have been meaning to upgrade forever so...

To put it into perspective this bass is the cheapest of the cheap (it's a Samick) was left in a damp basement for several months before I started playing it. Even if I do fix it tomorrow the chances of something else breaking during our 20-minute set are higher than I would like. Also the tone is terrible, I have to borrow a friend's bass any time I want to record something.

I'm thinking if the OP is still accurate I'll get a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz.