Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

homeless snail posted:

Then you come to the realization that you're skipping gameplay to get to increasingly long and nonsensical cutscenes. Or at least, I did.

You're right though, FF13 is made substantially better when you only fight something once every 10 minutes or so.

The fighting is probably the best part of the game. It's better than sitting though the story at least. Though it gets tiresome real quick when after every other battle or every five minutes, there's a cutscene.

I brought it up in the LP, but the worst bit for me, was when Fang gets Bahamut - it's at the very end of a very long, tedious and lovely dungeon, filled with loving awful, redundant cutscenes, and then you actually get some action. Of course, the cutscene ends, you walk ten yards and then are thrust into another cutscene. That ten yards of walking was apparently so vital to the story, that it had to be included so that the player can remember that they're actually playing a game.

Then they find an airship and start flying it, only for it to be damaged immediately, forcing Fang to use her summon she got less than two minutes ago.

That is terrible loving pacing, and a good example of why games need to have editors and a solid development schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Fellow Final Fantasy XII fans:

Fake or not fake?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That sounds like the Fortress project they were working on, but stopped.

From FF wiki:

quote:

Preproduction work for Fortress began in the second half of 2008, being outsourced by Square Enix to the Swedish developer GRIN. The development team, based in Stockholm, began creating concept art, 3D models and a game engine, thinking of Fortress as a "game with an epic scale both in story and production values." In addition to original characters and locations, concept art made for the game notably depict Ashe and a Judge who looks like Gabranth, and chocobos and other recurring creatures of the series, namely Bombs, Ghosts, Malboros, Moogles and Tonberries.

However, after six months of development, Square Enix reclaimed the project without paying GRIN, due to concerns over the quality of the work. Square Enix's withdrawal left the Swedish developer in financial difficulty and with no other ongoing game project. This led to GRIN declaring bankruptcy, as laws in Sweden inflict severe fines on businesses which operate under a debt load. The developer closed its offices on August 12, 2009, noting that delayed payments from "too many publishers" caused "an unbearable cashflow situation" and mentioning in a farewell note their "unreleased masterpiece that [they] weren’t allowed to finish." GRIN would later claim Square Enix demanded ridiculous things from them, such as faxing the entire game code. They ultimately felt Square Enix had set them up to fail. Square Enix's side of the story has never been reported. The Fortress project is said to still be supported by Square Enix, being developed by a different, undisclosed studio.

In January 2010, footage from an alleged tech demo of Fortress was leaked on the Internet. The video description stated the game's events are "set some time after Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings," and mentioned Square Enix's subsidiary Eidos Montreal as a possible new home for the project. Replying to a fan question in May 2010, David Hoffman, director of business development at the American branch of Square Enix, mentioned Fortress without confirming its existence, stating "I have and had no involvement in the rumored project Fortress."

If that's genuine, that's something different to look forward to I guess. :)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eidos Montreal? Also, it sounds an awful lot like that Fortress game Grin was working on. I dunno if its real or not, but more Ivalice is good. efb

Pesky Splinter posted:

The fighting is probably the best part of the game. It's better than sitting though the story at least. Though it gets tiresome real quick when after every other battle or every five minutes, there's a cutscene.
That's what they say, I just wasn't feeling it though. Making the combat more intellectually demanding is fine for bosses, but it just felt like busywork fighting random mooks. Like WoW where if I do this and this and this I'll win every fight in 10 seconds. I found that combat loop to be really tedious.

Yeah I realize how dumb that sounds right after my post about how much I like FF14.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

homeless snail posted:

Eidos Montreal? Also, it sounds an awful lot like that Fortress game Grin was working on. I dunno if its real or not, but more Ivalice is good. efb

That's what they say, I just wasn't feeling it though. Making the combat more intellectually demanding is fine for bosses, but it just felt like busywork fighting random mooks. Like WoW where if I do this and this and this I'll win every fight in 10 seconds. I found that combat loop to be really tedious.

Yeah I realize how dumb that sounds right after my post about how much I like FF14.

Five minutes may be an exaggeration, but every section of corridor generally has at about two to three cutscenes, and that's more than enough when they all say nearly the exact same thing each time.

I agree with you about fighting with the regular enemies; there's a fine balance between making mooks fun enough to fight tactically, without making them tediously long or easy. There's no joy in killing something in one hit, but none either when a simple battle takes about 10 minutes.

I didn't actually mind the boss battles in XIII, the only problem I felt, was that most of them just had way too much HP, and that caused the battles to drag, (even when they were staggered and the player is doing [x] thousand per hit) and that the bosses should have used their own paradigm systems for combat. As it is, I think only a handfull do.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 26, 2012

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Himuro posted:

Fake or not fake?

That's almost certainly fake, because it's much, much too good to be true.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Himuro posted:

Fake or not fake?

So this would technically be an unmake... remake?

Krad fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 26, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Himuro posted:

Fake or not fake?

Interesting if true. Where'd you find this?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Himuro posted:

Fake or not fake?

Sounds exactly like Fortress, which was canceled.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The name Valiant Saga sounds like a nod to Vagrant Story, which was also set in Ivalice.

EDIT: Hell the logo is almost exactly the same too.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

The name Valiant Saga sounds like a nod to Vagrant Story, which was also set in Ivalice.

EDIT: Hell the logo is almost exactly the same too.

The name, the logo, and you know, the story... still glad it's fake/cancelled.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

"Fortress" was being developed by GRIN Studios in Sweden. Sadly, the studio folded in 2009.

There hasn't been any official word from Square-Enix, not that I've heard anyway, on whether the game was cancelled outright, or put on hold indefinitely.

It would be nice if it did get picked up again, as Ivalice is a setting worth repeat-visits to, and since evidently Ashe is involved in this one, we could cetainly do with a continuation of her story, even if she's just a side-character.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I'd guess fake, it's a little too on-the-nose. All the terminology is borrowed from the other Ivalice games which feels fan-fictiony

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
It's fake. The sort of hoax someone like me would try to pull off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Azure_Horizon posted:

I stated upfront that I think FF8 is a good game, with a fuckton of flaws and the worst story in the series.

Pretty much how I look at it. It's pretty fun to play, but the story feels like a dream you have after eating a burrito at 3AM on top of a 12-pack of beer before passing out on your own couch.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm slowly reading my way through the recent FFVIII LP and a lot of people recommended this "Altimate Rewrite". (Seems better organised on the google docs link than the RPG.net forums.)

I'm really curious what the main story is changed to in it with regards to Ultimecia, Ellone and the time travel. But I find it kind of unreadable and horribly boring.
I've gotten a few things about the characters through skimming, like I know they remembered the orphanage but didn't remember Edea. No idea what's going on with Cid though.

Don't suppose anybody could summarise?

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

precision posted:

Pretty much how I look at it. It's pretty fun to play, but the story feels like a dream you have after eating a burrito at 3AM on top of a 12-pack of beer before passing out on your own couch.

I combine those things all the time and my dreams are still more coherent than FF8.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Why is FFXIII-2 so cheap? It came out like 4 months ago and i just picked it up for $14 on Zavvi.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gamefly was selling used copies of FF13 within a few weeks of launch and it was $10-15 then.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

VagueRant posted:

Don't suppose anybody could summarise?

SeeD in name only, shame twisting inside like a serrated knife. That, yes, but in addition, a moral coward for letting her carry me. She'd be my whatever? No. I'd be hers. I'd be the worthless scrap of flesh surrounding her favorite vibrator. Her boytoy, her pet gently caress. Her whore.

This, my dear, is a toy for adults

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

swamp waste posted:

SeeD in name only, shame twisting inside like a serrated knife. That, yes, but in addition, a moral coward for letting her carry me. She'd be my whatever? No. I'd be hers. I'd be the worthless scrap of flesh surrounding her favorite vibrator. Her boytoy, her pet gently caress. Her whore.

This, my dear, is a toy for adults

Goddamn, Cid is filthy. No wonder Edea left him for a while. :v:

Doesn't the rewrite also having all the women trying to jump Squall's, ahem, Thay's bones every other page?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 28, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

Goddamn, Cid is filthy. No wonder Edea left him for a while. :v:

Doesn't the rewrite also having all the women trying to jump Squall's, ahem, Thay's bones every other page?

Which would be a bit more appropriate for kids of their age, especially considering Squall has some sort of appeal to two of them anyway, despite having zero personality and being a complete loving douchebag.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Just because you're a teenager and perpetually horny doesn't mean you actually want to gently caress everyone near you. Garnet was sixteen and even when she acknowledged her feelings for Zidane she didn't try to screw him.

So no, I don't think it's more appropriate for people trying to save the world to start humping each other. That would make the story even worse. Hell, it even sounds like Buffy Season 7 and you can't get much worse than that.

And this age talk here and in the FFXLP thread has made me realize something. People whine about characters being too young or whatever in JRPGs but I never really noticed or cared. For instance, I had to look up Ashe's and Cecil's ages. They were 19 and 20 respectively. Some might say this is unrealistically young and even if we ignore how stupid the realism argument is, both of them ere amazingly mature and sophisticated for their ages.

So let them be 19, 20 or 12 for all I care. I don't see what the big deal is.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
I remember seeing the ages of the characters in my PS1 FF games and thinking "whoa, they're old! I can't wait to be 16-21!".

Now I'm well past those ages and it makes me feel old. Of course the situations they're thrown into aren't things I associate with kids so it's not something I really noticed all that much.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

Just because you're a teenager and perpetually horny doesn't mean you actually want to gently caress everyone near you. Garnet was sixteen and even when she acknowledged her feelings for Zidane she didn't try to screw him.

So no, I don't think it's more appropriate for people trying to save the world to start humping each other. That would make the story even worse. Hell, it even sounds like Buffy Season 7 and you can't get much worse than that.

And this age talk here and in the FFXLP thread has made me realize something. People whine about characters being too young or whatever in JRPGs but I never really noticed or cared. For instance, I had to look up Ashe's and Cecil's ages. They were 19 and 20 respectively. Some might say this is unrealistically young and even if we ignore how stupid the realism argument is, both of them ere amazingly mature and sophisticated for their ages.

Anything would make the FF8 characters act more appropriately their age. Anything. The developers knew jack loving all how teenagers actually act. The only character they even bothered to get right was Zell.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 28, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It's easier to rationalise it as whatever age they give, plus ten years. Not that it matters really, outside of being mentioned by the plot, and even then it's often easier just to pretend they're older. For the most part anyway.

Yar The Pirate posted:

Now I'm well past those ages and it makes me feel old.

When Kingdom Hearts 1 came out, I was roughly the same age Sora is meant to be. Ten years down the line, they've only aged him by two years. It feel strange to have followed a series for so long, that you're actually older than what the main character is meant to be.

And to make it worse, I remember going to see Beauty and the Beast when it first came out...and now seeing the posters celebrating the 3D version and realising that it was released 20 years ago. A whole fifth of a century.

:corsair:

gently caress.

[e]: S'up fellow dudes who feel ancient :corsair::hf::corsair:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 29, 2012

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

When Kingdom Hearts 1 came out, I was roughly the same age Sora is meant to be. Ten years down the line, they've only aged him by two years. It feel strange to have followed a series for so long, that you're actually older than what the main character is meant to be..

I know just how you feel I was around the same age too. Maybe that's why I want Kingdom Hearts III so badly.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

And to make it worse, I remember going to see Beauty and the Beast when it first came out...and now seeing the posters celebrating the 3D version and realising that it was released 20 years ago. A whole fifth of a century.

:corsair:

gently caress.

If you think about it, aren't we the first generation to get real storytelling in videogames and see it age like someone would with movies or comics? When I first got married one of the things my wife and I would do to pass the time was replay FFX and it hit me that the game is literally older than my youngest sibling. We were replaying a videogame like some people watch old classic movies on AMC. I was showing someone a "classic" in the same way my dad used to get me to watch western movies. I feel like a huge nerd saying this but I recently had to explain to my youngest brother what Civilization was. I used the term "when I was your age"...

drat right :corsair:

Gaseous Snake posted:

I know just how you feel I was around the same age too. Maybe that's why I want Kingdom Hearts III so badly.

I've totally forgotten what was going on in that series but would still pick up III in a heartbeat. I've only played 1&2 and it's probably going to stay that way unless there some sort of port to the PS3 of all those side stories. Prequels and side stories just make me lose interest. My worst fear is the next Mass Effect game being a prequel during their war with the Turians just purely for the fact that I've already been told all that information in the base game and could care less. I wanna see what happens AFTER dammit!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Yar The Pirate posted:

If you think about it, aren't we the first generation to get real storytelling in videogames and see it age like someone would with movies or comics?

Pretty much, seeing as how the storytelling has advanced beyond the constraint of three lines of dialogue boxes and a manual telling the player the plot. Just look at how far the FF series has progressed in a 25 year gap.

Yar The Pirate posted:

We were replaying a videogame like some people watch old classic movies on AMC. I was showing someone a "classic" in the same way my dad used to get me to watch western movies. I feel like a huge nerd saying this but I recently had to explain to my youngest brother what Civilization was. I used the term "when I was your age"...

I was going through some of my old games a while back trying to show my step-brother the games I grew up with (he's 12), like Link's Awakening, Half-Life, Age of Empires, FF9, Sonic, Monkey Island, that sort of thing. He was put off by the graphics and that only Half-Life and a few others had guns. And then he complained about this and that. Then he played COD and Brink after.

Little fucker, no sense of taste! :argh:

Yar The Pirate posted:

I've totally forgotten what was going on in that series but would still pick up III in a heartbeat. I've only played 1&2 and it's probably going to stay that way unless there some sort of port to the PS3 of all those side stories.

If you don't mind spoilers, here's a handy and simple guide to what the gently caress is happening with Kingdom Heart's plot.

It doesn't mention one called Coded on there, and it doesn't have the latest game on there.

Coded is just a rehash of Kingdom Hearts 1 (literally), and the new one adds some laughably complex, confusing poo poo that'll probably be carried over and solved in the next game, whatever that is.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 29, 2012

Belgurdo
Aug 17, 2003
I LOVE THE BIG SCREEN SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN

NikkolasKing posted:

Indeed, I'm getting a bit tired of the idea that every RPG character needs to adhere to the Bioware/Witcher archetype of "disgruntled thirtysomething who wants to kill/gently caress anything with two legs that walks past them." Having children in a game is not going to mark the universal dumbing down of the plot.

V Yeah, Vaan was bad, but that had more to do with him being thrown into the plot at the last minute to sell the game to women and having no personality as a result, moreso than him being a kid.

Belgurdo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 29, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

So long as there's actually a reason for the character to be young, beyond having a good looking androgynous teenager to appeal to your key demo. See: Vaan from FFXII.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Character designers (as in the artists) dont generally make up those numbers. They only care about relative stuff (ie, "I dont care how tall Snow is, I need to know how many heads tall he is and who is shorter and by how much based on the way I draw/model"). A lot are either assumptions to give you an idea of how they'd be, or just outright stolen from assumed sources (remember stuff like Dead or Alive, where every girl has really precisely mentioned sizes which have gently caress all to do with the nearly-identical game models) Marketing stuff.

For example, Yuffie and Vivi are The Kid in their group, even though they're wildly different ages just from their mannerisms and how they look compared to others. FF9 has an exaggerated art style, but Vivi is shorter than everyone and his clothes are baggy around him. I don't need to know how many feet tall he is. Similarly, I don't need to actually know Steiner is 30. He could be a fat guy in his late 20s or early 40. But I do know he's not an Old Man(tm), so he's the Middle Aged guy when it comes to characterization.

Debating whether Lightning's mentioned age is appropriate is like trying to decide if she's really as tall as her (Japanese-demographic-influenced) mentioned height, if she "really" is supposed to have Asian features, or if her hair is "really" pink, or what shoe size she wears.

tldr hard numbers are pretty irrelevant to creative fiction.

keet fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 29, 2012

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

penguinmambo posted:

Debating whether Lightning's [...] hair is "really" pink.

This reminds me, in FFTA all of the kids have their wishes that they say over the book, and they all seemed pretty legit, except the girl's. For reference, I think the one kid wanted to have his Mom back, one kid wanted to be able to walk again, the main character wanted to be in his favorite video game (and I guess not have a deadbeat dad), but all the girl wanted was pink hair and magic. I guess wanting to have magic powers is about as bad as wanting to live in loving Final Fantasy XII, but if I were listing my deepest desires I don't think my hair color would come up very high on the list.

Magic powers totally would be up high though, can't fault that. Don't think any of the Final Fantasy universes seem more stable than the real one, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Women are painted in an incredibly superficial manner a lot of the time in the series. Ritz is probably one of the worst ones, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, but the point was the kids at school made fun of her stark white hair. Her wish was to be semi-normal, just like the other horribly broken main characters. Don't you feel her pain? Its like totally deep and stuff.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

but all the girl wanted was pink hair and magic.

I thought it was okay considering everyone would pick on her if she stopped dying her hair (and she had to do it every morning for some reason). :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Krad posted:

I thought it was okay considering everyone would pick on her if she stopped dying her hair (and she had to do it every morning for some reason). :(

Probably to avoid her parents finding out she dyes her hair. They might be against it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Krad posted:

She's ashamed because her hair is naturally white; I mean that's pretty cool, but because white is associated with age, and such...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wait, so I'm the only one who would totally wish for pink hair and magic? In that order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm with you, no point in having magic if you aren't stylish before getting it.