Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

AxeManiac posted:

The cover art looks like somebody's Captain America Rape Face poser model too
I seem to recall the original cover art being much better...

...oh. Well. I didn't remember that guy being so badly rendered. The rest of it looks decent enough, I guess. Pharaoh also had an excellent manual which I think I still have somewhere, that thing was several hundred pages long and I'm pretty sure it taught me more about ancient Egypt than I ever learned in school. I must say I was never very good at the game when I was a kid, but I enjoyed playing it nonetheless and I still remember the music in particular. Definitely buying this when I'm slightly less broke.

Carmageddon is another must-buy. I'm more familiar with Carmageddon 2 and like it a bit better than the original (if you don't count the lovely missions), but this is fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Is that Marlon Brando? Weekend deal:

Commandos 2+3 - $4.99
Commandos Ammo Pack - $2.99
Constructor - $2.99
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload - $2.99
Imperial Glory - $2.99
Litil Divil - $2.99
Mob Rule - $2.99
Normality - $2.99
Praetorians - $2.99
Realms of the Haunting - $2.99
Slipstream 5000 - $2.99
Soulbringer - $2.99

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 25, 2012

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

Psychotic Weasel posted:

But I will agree that the story was top notch, nothing in HW2 really compared. Homeworld is also the only game were I feel the units have a good sense of scale and weight; like the ships actually are massive in size and power. No other 4X games have really been able to replicate that.

Have you tried Sins of a Solar Empire? That's about as close as anything else I've played and it's loving awesome and very pretty. Not much in the way of storyline to speak of, but the combat, tech trees and ship varieties are incredibly detailed and diverse. If you can get hold of the "Trinity" edition (includes the two expansion packs) I'd certainly recommend it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sonic H posted:

Have you tried Sins of a Solar Empire? That's about as close as anything else I've played and it's loving awesome and very pretty. Not much in the way of storyline to speak of, but the combat, tech trees and ship varieties are incredibly detailed and diverse. If you can get hold of the "Trinity" edition (includes the two expansion packs) I'd certainly recommend it.

That pack was on a Steam daily not a week ago for $9.99, and I didn't pull the trigger. I regret that - don't make the same mistake that I did. Amazing looking game.

That said, They are coming out with a stand-alone expansion that has all of the above plus a new expansion in the same suite of software. I know that I won't get it because it will probably cost $39.99 and I am a cheap bastard, but I wanted to mention it for those of you who make a good living.

Edit: It's called Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and can be found at http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store#rebellion. $39.95, digital download only. Not sure when it's going to be released.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If only SoaSE had a campaign. Sandbox strategy games don't really do it for me. :smith:

I remember reading ages ago that there were plans for an expansion that would add a campaign, but apparently that idea's been scrapped.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

JustJeff88 posted:

That pack was on a Steam daily not a week ago for $9.99, and I didn't pull the trigger. I regret that - don't make the same mistake that I did. Amazing looking game.

That said, They are coming out with a stand-alone expansion that has all of the above plus a new expansion in the same suite of software. I know that I won't get it because it will probably cost $39.99 and I am a cheap bastard, but I wanted to mention it for those of you who make a good living.

Edit: It's called Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion and can be found at http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store#rebellion. $39.95, digital download only. Not sure when it's going to be released.

Yep, I've been bombarded with emails about Rebellion for a while from Stardock/Impulse. I'm kinda pissed about it really as I have all the add-ons already and don't fancy shelling out £30 for an expansion. Hopefully they'll offer just Rebellion on its own for less (although in fairness I haven't done my research and they may very well be doing just that).

I agree with ToxicFrog, I was really looking forward to the campaign, but was gutted when they pulled it. Sucks - seemed like a really great universe they created, shame they won't make the most of it.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Hidden Asbestos posted:

^^^ hope they can keep the Fear Factory soundtrack.

I have Children of the Nile in my Steam backlog with only 30 minutes of play, should I ditch that for the unknown to me Pharaoh + Cleopatra. Which is the better game?

Depends really. Children of the Nile is more of a New Age Experimental affair where they try to replace money with people and food. It works on some levels, and doesn't on others, and leaves in some of the worst problems with the Pharaoh system (waiting around for a bunch of brickworks to produce enough materials to builds your wonder to complete the level).

Pharaoh is good if you like the Impressions style of city builders and can't stand anything else (businesses still require walkers to find employees which is bullshit, but the farming system is still good), and CotN is great if you want something new. Zeus and Emperor are great in that employers source employees all over the city without walkers, which is a godsend

In my opinion, apart from the Nile farming part, it's best to just get the most recent Impressions city building game (at the moment Zeus, but I'd expect Emperor to be around soon) unless you really like a given civ/time period. Children of the Nile is really good, but is a little bit rough around the edges and requires that little bit of something to make it really great (play it for a while, you'll start to realise there's just so many things it needs to tell you but doesn't)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo, Carmageddon. I'm totally getting that when it goes on there. I didn't think Stainless would do it because they basically said before that anyone could just find a copy and get it working properly but this is really good news.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nanpa posted:

Pharaoh is good if you like the Impressions style of city builders and can't stand anything else (businesses still require walkers to find employees which is bullshit, but the farming system is still good), and CotN is great if you want something new. Zeus and Emperor are great in that employers source employees all over the city without walkers, which is a godsend

I've said this before, but putting a 2x2 "recruitment office" Crude Hut housing plot right next to the nasty industries and mining gulags allows you to focus your actual residential areas somewhere nice. The Carpenter's Guild recruiters don't care that the house has just two dying beggars in it, they tap the citywide workforce regardless.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to the bug in Zeus where the animations for the gods play really slowly and end up breaking that part of the game?

Also, there's apparently some other animation bugs that break the game. You can read about them here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/zeus_poseidon_acropolis/windows_7probably_xp_too_slow_gods_spawnblessattack_animations

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 25, 2012

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
How is Guilty Gear at that price point? I loved it on PS2, but that kind of game really needs to run well or it's not really worth playing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MixMasterMalaria posted:

How is Guilty Gear at that price point? I loved it on PS2, but that kind of game really needs to run well or it's not really worth playing.

XX: Reload that GOG has? (GamersGate has Isuka) It runs just fine on my machine and even supports my Fightpad. No online, though. For that you'll want SSF4:AE or Skullgirls (in a couple of months).

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

MixMasterMalaria posted:

It also runs great for me, but they didn't make any changes to the PS2 frontend so you'll see things like X, O, R2 etc in the control settings. It comes with the OST as a bonus though which is worth the $3 alone, plus you can easily edit the game soundtrack to add in whatever music you want. It's my go-to game when I want to kill a few minutes busting some heads in and I don't feel like moving from my PC to play KoF XIII or Blazblue.

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 25, 2012

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

XX: Reload that GOG has? (GamersGate has Isuka) It runs just fine on my machine and even supports my Fightpad. No online, though.

There are unofficial hacks that add online, but your mileage may vary on how well they work for you, and they may not work with the GOG version. However the sites they're on contain the game itself for download too so I don't think I should post them here.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Sonic H posted:

I was an early fan of Sins and bought the game and one of the first expansions when it came out, but like another poster has said, the game is kinda lacking. There was very little variety and the endless skirmishes just got repetitive and boring after a while. I eventually tired of it and haven't played any of the recent expansions.

The visual design was also something I could never really learn to love. Every system and every planet just looked the same, and the ships felt like they were lacking substance; almost like you were commanding a fleet of MicroMachines instead of ships.

But that is neither here nor there. The Carmageddon announcement is making me nostalgic for gory sprites and horrible 3D 90's era graphics.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
gently caress yeah, the Carmageddon Max Pack. OP updated.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm of the opinion that Pharaoh is a better game than Zeus, actually. While Zeus does have that whole map-wide recruitment thing, you could always just place a single hut right next to your industrial area and the shops will all be able to recruit from the entire population even if the one hut is totally unsupplied with anything.

The wonders in Pharaoh felt much more impressive to build and complete. What I never liked about Zeus was how finicky it was to get your high-class and hero residences have enough desirability to work. It seemed that Hercules or whoever was always juuuuust a smidgen away from liking his digs enough to visit my city.

I never got into Emperor, I think I was totally burned out on Impressions Games city-builders by the time it came out, but I'd hopefully GOG will get it so I can give it a real try.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Everyone play Normality.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

elf help book posted:

Everyone play Normality.

And Constructor.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Someone give me any and all reasons to buy or not to buy Populous 2, given the fact that I've never played it before.

VVV I actually have been tooling around with and enjoying Reprisal, though I have no idea whether or not it's a better/more involved game than Populous 2 is.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 26, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Thompsons posted:

Someone give me any and all reasons to buy or not to buy Populous 2, given the fact that I've never played it before.

Play Reprisal. If you like that, then buy Populous.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thompsons posted:

VVV I actually have been tooling around with and enjoying Reprisal, though I have no idea whether or not it's a better/more involved game than Populous 2 is.

I haven't played Reprisal beyond the first couple of missions, but so far it seems like a casual gamer version of Populous 2.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
And now that I see there's a third Populous game I can't help but wonder which of them is the best. Populous: The Beginning has a way better interface, but is it still as complex and fun as the others?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Number three is a Populous almost in name and theme only. It's more like a simple RTS.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I guess nobody noticed that the Tex Murphy series is 50% off for the entire week. I've never played any of the games, but I think I remember hearing Under a Killing Moon is the game to play if I had to choose one.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Obeast posted:

I guess nobody noticed that the Tex Murphy series is 50% off for the entire week. I've never played any of the games, but I think I remember hearing Under a Killing Moon is the game to play if I had to choose one.

I found Pandora Directive to be a superior game in most regards, but Under a Killing Moon wins for nostalgia.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They're some of the only FMV games that still hold up today, partly because they're really funny, but also because the gameplay is surprisingly forward thinking - the series still has the best hint system in the entire genre. The graphics are dated, but I only first played UAKM like two years ago and I loved the poo poo out of it.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
I still have Tex Murphy 1 + 2 from GOG gifting them to everyone in December 2009. I haven't tried them yet, but are they worth playing now or have they not aged well?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The first one is definitely not good—it has poor combat and driving sections, there's tons of red herrings, etc. The second, Martian Memorandum, is worth playing if you like old adventure games. If you have a huge backlog or aren't exactly a big fan of the genre, I recommend skipping it too, though.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Alright, thanks. I do enjoy adventure games (probably should've mentioned that) so I'll remember to give the second game a try when I'm in the mood for one. If I end up not liking it anyway, oh well, it was free. :shobon:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I am trying to start World of Xeen...but my robber dies to like every other gate I have him open in the starting town. How do you avoid this, he is becoming kind of expensive.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Contest Winner posted:

I am trying to start World of Xeen...but my robber dies to like every other gate I have him open in the starting town. How do you avoid this, he is becoming kind of expensive.

just have your barbarians kick them down.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Thompsons posted:

And now that I see there's a third Populous game I can't help but wonder which of them is the best. Populous: The Beginning has a way better interface, but is it still as complex and fun as the others?

I recently purchased Populous: The Beginning because I loved the first two. It is definitely a very different kind of game. Much more of a God-Like RTS, kind of a combination of Black and White and Populous. There is very little terrain manipulation. There is a Let's Play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5TwF_IdS0
that will give you a better idea.

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but if you want to scratch that Populous itch, just play this:
http://www.reprisaluniverse.com/site/

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

All of this talk of Populous made me remember that I'd love to see the original Black and White + Expansion on GOG. Does anyone know if it's EA or Microsoft that owns the rights? If it's EA there's probably a decent chance of it coming barring awful tech issues (Which I believe it has with video cards past 2004 or so :( ) but I don't think Microsoft has any presence on GoG.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but if you want to scratch that Populous itch, just play this:
http://www.reprisaluniverse.com/site/
:aaaaa:

That looks wonderful. Never heard of it before.

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.

Zat posted:

The absolute worst thing about Dreamfall is that there is still no Dreamfall 2 (and probably never will be). Everything else can be overlooked.

Hey man, I am still waiting for Loom 2.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Obeast posted:

I've only played Killing Moon (just last year, so no nostalgia) and I really enjoyed it up until the half way point where the story got way too messy and the gameplay got harder for annoying bullshit reasons rather than having better puzzles. That first half was probably one of my favorite adventure game experiences though.

I've been meaning to play the others though. Are the pre-Killing Moon games worth playing?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think I'm late to this party, but I'm loving excited so I dont give a poo poo.

ALL OF HERO'S QUEST?! WORKING PERFECTLY AND BUG FREE*? FOR 10 BUCKS?! TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

*May or may not include QFGIV.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I think I'm late to this party, but I'm loving excited so I dont give a poo poo.

ALL OF HERO'S QUEST?! WORKING PERFECTLY AND BUG FREE*? FOR 10 BUCKS?! TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

*May or may not include QFGIV.

I just finished a whole play-through of the first 4 today (Mage...best class) and I had exactly two bugs.

In QfG3, I was just walking in the savannah, and the game randomly crashed.

And in QfG4, I had two problems which are "hold overs" from the CD anthology version.

The "Squid Stone" puzzle:
You have to click certain letters twice/three times, and even then, it might not work, so you just start clicking randomly then maybe it works.

And at the end:
This would only affect a Mage play-through. I couldn't get my Magic Staff spell to cast after killing Ad Avis. I kept getting the message "You're too busy to cast a spell right now." I found a solution online, which involves casting Force Bolt a few more times after that first one you kill Ad with, and then trying to summon your staff. That worked on, like, the third try.

Neither of those seemed to be fixed by slowing down the CPU cycles in DOSBox. The first problem I did get it with a slowed-down DOSBox, but it still was wonky and I had to do what I described in the box.

The second one was done with it set at the default.

But the BIG problems that QfG4 had (Error 47 when sliding down the ramp, dieing instantly at the Chernovy wizard part in the swamp, etc... are gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tankadillo posted:

I've only played Killing Moon (just last year, so no nostalgia) and I really enjoyed it up until the half way point where the story got way too messy and the gameplay got harder for annoying bullshit reasons rather than having better puzzles. That first half was probably one of my favorite adventure game experiences though.

I've been meaning to play the others though. Are the pre-Killing Moon games worth playing?
This. Apparently Overseer is a remake of Mean Streets; is the Mean Streets still worth playing then, and is Martian Memorandum good enough to warrant buying?