Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

LoSesMC posted:

As a previous BeyondPod lover, other than syncing with Google Reader Pocket Casts is better in pretty much every other way.

That's all I really needed to hear. Do you know of a way to easily slide all my podcasts from BeyondPod over? Or will I have to do a bunch of stuff manually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Megaspel posted:

That's all I really needed to hear. Do you know of a way to easily slide all my podcasts from BeyondPod over? Or will I have to do a bunch of stuff manually?

Go into the Beyondpod settings and backup your feeds. Then go into your beyondpod folder and add a txt extension to the OPML file. Then you can import your feeds into Pocket Casts.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

LoSesMC posted:

As a previous BeyondPod lover, other than syncing with Google Reader Pocket Casts is better in pretty much every other way.

Just downloaded it to switch from BeyondPod, but realized after the 15 minute return window that it didn't support password-protected podcasts. Sigh. Back to BeyondPod, at least until they add that feature.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there anyway to make folders as widgets? Specifically, a folder that can be resized, change the skin, etc...

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

LoSesMC posted:

Mind elaborating what makes it much better?

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is there anyway to make folders as widgets? Specifically, a folder that can be resized, change the skin, etc...

I don't know of a way to do it natively, but FolderOrganizer lets you create widgets of different sizes, and I think their appearance can be customized (though I don't know to what extent since I've never done it).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, anyone know the current status of Google Music allowing or not allowing you to deauthorize multiple devices?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

gucci mangosteen posted:

I don't know of a way to do it natively, but FolderOrganizer lets you create widgets of different sizes, and I think their appearance can be customized (though I don't know to what extent since I've never done it).

Thanks, I'll give it a try

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Mind elaborating what makes it much better?

In my opinion it has most of the features (again, sans Google Reader sync and password protected podcasts) of Beyondpod with better presentation and organization. Especially in the settings menu, where I would sometimes get bogged down and not want to go back in to change the settings in BP, and the feed adding/discovery, where they had entries for some semi obscure casts that I listen to.

I also like the really fast server-side update check feature and that it cuts out non podcast entries.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Does PowerAmp suck forever or is that just my experience? If any of this can be fixed, please tell me.

Default playback apparently cycles your entire library rather than the album you select. I choose a song from an artist and one of their albums I want to listen through, but the only way I've found to actually make that happen is to add the album to queue.

Playback with a Bluetooth controller chooses PA as the music player even if it hasn't been started up in days. I'll listen to Pandora or Google Music a few times then get in my car and press Play on my Bluetooth remote. PowerAmp starts up with some random song it feels like playing.

PowerAmp does not interact with Google Navigation. Actually, I think it tries to compensate for navigation voice by getting louder.

Can I fix any of that, or is PowerAmp just not the player for me?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Any opinions of BitTorrent clients? I've been downloading my CM9 night lies that way lately since the mirrors have been kind of messed up for the past week.

I see there's an official client from whomever bought that enterprise, but it fails on simple things (telling you where on SD your files are).

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
How can I make my stupid Galaxy S2 act as a regular drive when I connect it to my PC instead of a 'Media Device (MTP)'? Sometimes I can browse the memory card and internal memory through my PC this way, but most of the time it doesn't show up at all (tried different USB ports, doesn't seem to make a difference).

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

nickhimself posted:

Does PowerAmp suck forever or is that just my experience? If any of this can be fixed, please tell me.

Default playback apparently cycles your entire library rather than the album you select. I choose a song from an artist and one of their albums I want to listen through, but the only way I've found to actually make that happen is to add the album to queue.

Playback with a Bluetooth controller chooses PA as the music player even if it hasn't been started up in days. I'll listen to Pandora or Google Music a few times then get in my car and press Play on my Bluetooth remote. PowerAmp starts up with some random song it feels like playing.

PowerAmp does not interact with Google Navigation. Actually, I think it tries to compensate for navigation voice by getting louder.

Can I fix any of that, or is PowerAmp just not the player for me?

1. You can change playback modes by tapping the repeat and shuffle icons until in the desired mode.

2. I don't use BT so not sure but I'd guess you have "resume on BT A2DP connect" enabled or something. settings>headset

3. What the gently caress. I have never seen this and have no idea. Maybe check the audio focus settings? (under audio engine)

Computer Control posted:

How can I make my stupid Galaxy S2 act as a regular drive when I connect it to my PC instead of a 'Media Device (MTP)'? Sometimes I can browse the memory card and internal memory through my PC this way, but most of the time it doesn't show up at all (tried different USB ports, doesn't seem to make a difference).

I assume you have ICS installed? As I recall, if you turn on USB debugging it will revert back to old style USB connect. Or you could install CM9.

Also under MTP I believe they're meant to show up as one device with the microSD being a subfolder or something? Haven't used it in ages.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 28, 2012

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Sorry if it's been discussed but I only recently got a smartphone (droid bionic). I'm trying to customize it but I wanted the goon hivemind consensus on a few things.

Best music player/way to sync my itunes library? I've noticed Winamp touts that feature but I have not yet had a chance to try it.

Any alternatives to CityID? I like having a location for incoming calls, but $2 a month is not worth it. I've read about one free app that was pulled due to a lawsuit. Any other (hopefully legal) apps?

Finally, any other must have apps? I have to say I'm fairly pleased with the packaged software options, though I do plan to uninstall the VZW and Motorola bloatware just to clean up my app menu.

And before anyone lists Awful as a must have app... how do you think this was posted?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

l33t b4c0n posted:

Any alternatives to CityID? I like having a location for incoming calls, but $2 a month is not worth it. I've read about one free app that was pulled due to a lawsuit. Any other (hopefully legal) apps?

All the smartphones I've had do this normally (I think - it might be a ROM addition). At least, they give me the state. I'm not sure if you're looking for something more specific.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Any opinions of BitTorrent clients? I've been downloading my CM9 night lies that way lately since the mirrors have been kind of messed up for the past week.

I see there's an official client from whomever bought that enterprise, but it fails on simple things (telling you where on SD your files are).

I've had good experience with tTorrent. I haven't tried any others, but I don't any issues downloading stuff with that app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

l33t b4c0n posted:

Finally, any other must have apps? I have to say I'm fairly pleased with the packaged software options, though I do plan to uninstall the VZW and Motorola bloatware just to clean up my app menu.
You know you can't do this without root, correct?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Computer Control posted:

Settings > Wireless & Networks - More > USB utilities > [Connect storage to PC]

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

l33t b4c0n posted:

Best music player/way to sync my itunes library? I've noticed Winamp touts that feature but I have not yet had a chance to try it.

I like iSyncr and the wifi addon for it. I have it set to automatically update selected playlists every morning. Don't even have to think about it which is nice.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fitness app? I am currently using CardioTrainer and it keeps losing GPS signal. Plus, I would like to be able to change the song with my headset instead of fumbling on the arm band.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 29, 2012

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

LastInLine posted:

You know you can't do this without root, correct?

Yep. I plan to (carefully) play around with some root tweaking. I just dislike having an app list that's about 40% useless crap I'd never even think of running (NFL Mobile I'm looking at you).

As far as CityID, I have no idea if some sort of feature like that still works after my trial subscription runs out. I tend to think not since Verizon is trying to get me to subscribe for an extra $2 a month. All it does is give a city and state for incoming calls based on area code, which I find handy enough that I want it but not enough to justify the monthly fee.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

uapyro posted:

I've had good experience with tTorrent. I haven't tried any others, but I don't any issues downloading stuff with that app.

I use tTorrent as well, and it was pretty much the only one I could get to work properly. The other ones I tried wouldn't even download files.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

l33t b4c0n posted:

Yep. I plan to (carefully) play around with some root tweaking. I just dislike having an app list that's about 40% useless crap I'd never even think of running (NFL Mobile I'm looking at you).

As far as CityID, I have no idea if some sort of feature like that still works after my trial subscription runs out. I tend to think not since Verizon is trying to get me to subscribe for an extra $2 a month. All it does is give a city and state for incoming calls based on area code, which I find handy enough that I want it but not enough to justify the monthly fee.

It won't. Once the trial is up, it will nag like loving crazy. It's the most annoying piece of shitware, and a prime example of why rooting is a good thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AlexDeGruven posted:

It won't. Once the trial is up, it will nag like loving crazy. It's the most annoying piece of shitware, and a prime example of why rooting is a good thing.

Not true. You can easily disable it without root. I turned off CityID on day one without any problems at all. The bionic actually lets you uninstall it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

Not true. You can easily disable it without root. I turned off CityID on day one without any problems at all. The bionic actually lets you uninstall it.

This is good to know. On my Fascinate, I couldn't do anything with it, which is one of the main reasons I rooted it.

It's just an automatic 'first-to-go' for me now, so it never even fires the first time whenever I'm running a clean stock ROM, as it's gone before I get the first call.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Most of the "bloatware" installed on Moto/Verizon devices can be uninstalled now and once ICS comes out you'll be able to freeze and hide those that can't.

I think on my bionic, I could uninstall CityID, NFL Mobile, and Lets Golf directly from the apps menu and they would be gone for good.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

My sister is abroad in Spain. Is there a widget that can display her time? Free would be nice only because then our mother can get it without panicking about spending money on the internet. She is a bit of a technophobe. I dont mind spending a buck or two.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I really, really hope that the Google Drive app gets some kind of 'export' option. At the moment, the only way of saving Google docs - native Google Documents, not uploaded MS Office documents - as alternate formats is only possible via the desktop webapp.

If I want to print off something I have typed up in Google Docs, I need to login to a nearby PC, download my doc as a PDF, and print it from there. Ideally, I'd like to be able to trigger this from my phone's app - all I'd need to do then would get the PDF off my phone and onto a PC and print it.

It's silly to work around this using only Word documents instead of native Google documents, or expect everyone to have a Cloud Print-enabled printer.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

FuzzyPickles posted:

My sister is abroad in Spain. Is there a widget that can display her time? Free would be nice only because then our mother can get it without panicking about spending money on the internet. She is a bit of a technophobe. I dont mind spending a buck or two.

Just about any World Clock widget on the Play store will do it. There are tons and tons of free ones.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

spincube posted:

I really, really hope that the Google Drive app gets some kind of 'export' option. At the moment, the only way of saving Google docs - native Google Documents, not uploaded MS Office documents - as alternate formats is only possible via the desktop webapp.

If I want to print off something I have typed up in Google Docs, I need to login to a nearby PC, download my doc as a PDF, and print it from there. Ideally, I'd like to be able to trigger this from my phone's app - all I'd need to do then would get the PDF off my phone and onto a PC and print it.

It's silly to work around this using only Word documents instead of native Google documents, or expect everyone to have a Cloud Print-enabled printer.

ES file explorer has drive support. You can access it the same way as you add dropbox and manage files that way.

No Caffiene
Aug 29, 2004
There is also a world clock section in the stock clock app on most phones using Android.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

rotaryfun posted:

ES file explorer has drive support. You can access it the same way as you add dropbox and manage files that way.

The drive support in ES for drive and *box is pretty tits but he's only going to get html files out of it for the docs he created. Now if he wants .pdf in the end maybe there's a converter for that.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The Drive app allows you to Share docs. Perhaps he could email what he needs to himself?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

No Caffiene posted:

There is also a world clock section in the stock clock app on most phones using Android.
Not in stock AOSP there isn't.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

No Caffiene posted:

The built in widget is huge on my phone, I was just looking for something 1x1. I was having trouble getting search results to pull up earlier, but I found one now.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I live in Canada but will be in the US for about a week. What is a good app that I can use to make calls over Wifi? Bonus is they also work for calling Landlines.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Bonzo posted:

I live in Canada but will be in the US for about a week. What is a good app that I can use to make calls over Wifi? Bonus is they also work for calling Landlines.

Skype... I think?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

the posted:

Skype... I think?

But will it work for Landlines? I just use it now for IM and VOIP calls.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 30, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bonzo posted:

You have to pay for landlines, but yes.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Bonzo posted:

VOIP calls are what you'll be making over wifi. You can call mobiles and landlines in the US or back in Canada, and you can even pay a small amount to have Skype show your mobile number on people's caller ID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Bonzo posted:

When you're in the US, sign up for Google Voice (then use your choice of Talkatone / GrooveIP / SipDroid / etc). It only cares that you're in the US to register, you can call US mobile and landline numbers for free from it afterwards and even continue making those calls once you return to Canada. I'm pretty sure the free landline calls even include calling Canadian numbers.

• Locked thread