Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

blackguy32 posted:

You can't do it for single player. Only multiplayer

Yes you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Mr. Fortitude posted:

In the III era games, no matter how fast or perfectly you were driving you usually always had other racers right behind you and if you crashed your vehicle early on in the race, the other racers would slow down and allow you to catch up somewhat.

This was gone, at least, by SA. For a lot of it's races you could finish without any of the other cars even in sight of you.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Fat CJ best CJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCGkLSeFKA4

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"
I think this may have been asked before, but i'm not sure. Was going to buy SA on steam for my mac, but wasn't sure if 360 pads (wired or wireless) work on the mac at all (i've not got windows on here), and if so, do they work with SA on steam?

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

TheGoatFeeder posted:

I think this may have been asked before, but i'm not sure. Was going to buy SA on steam for my mac, but wasn't sure if 360 pads (wired or wireless) work on the mac at all (i've not got windows on here), and if so, do they work with SA on steam?

I couldnt get it to work properly with san andreas (wired pad, works with other games alright), and forget about using a keyboard and mouse if you're using a magic mouse.

wait, just remembered i got it through the app store and not steam but I imagine they're pretty much the same

Videogame Stench fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 29, 2012

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Gay Crib Baby Dino posted:

I couldnt get it to work properly with san andreas (works with other games alright), and forget about using a keyboard and mouse if you're using a magic mouse.

drat, thanks anyway.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

This was gone, at least, by SA. For a lot of it's races you could finish without any of the other cars even in sight of you.

I did notice races seemed easier in LCS and VCS than the other III era games but I still had trouble with SA. I think I'm just bad at games though. I wouldn't be surprised if the rubber band AI was removed due to complaints about The Driver mission in Vice City being too hard.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I did notice races seemed easier in LCS and VCS than the other III era games but I still had trouble with SA. I think I'm just bad at games though. I wouldn't be surprised if the rubber band AI was removed due to complaints about The Driver mission in Vice City being too hard.

The worst thing for me about The Driver was that about half of my attempts culminated in Hilary's car bugging out, falling through the road geometry, and the game crashing when I reached the finish line.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I didn't enjoy the driving in IV, the cars handle differently to the III era games and it makes it more of a chore to drive around crowded streets as a result.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I didn't enjoy the driving in IV, the cars handle differently to the III era games and it makes it more of a chore to drive around crowded streets as a result.

Do you use the brake frequently? Like, tapping it to slow down, using it to turn, etc? I don't mean the handbrake, though that comes in handy for racing/tight turns. The adjustment for me from SA to IV was learning to actually use the brake. I almost never used the drat thing in SA, preferring to fishtail around handbraking like I was being cast for Tokyo Drift.

The big difference in GTA IV is the cars actually have weight. So you can't turn on a dime, can't brake immediately, and so on. This also means there's a huge difference between driving a muscle car and a little aluminum street racer in terms of the feel.

Personally, I think it's a move in the right direction but it requires an adjustment and forces you to drive (and I hate to use the term in this context here) more "realistically," whereas in SA I'd just floor the gas and SKREEEE around every corner like a madman.

E: VVV Admittedly it's been a while since I've played SA, and I stressed hating to use the word "realistic" as GTA IV is far from it, but I still much prefer the driving in IV. In SA I always felt as if the cars "bounced around" or slid as if they had no weight or grip, not the other way around. I could see why someone would prefer the mechanics in SA (and therefore think they are more fun), but I cannot imagine how one would begin to argue that the driving in IV is worse at providing a means to simulate driving while still being gamey enough to be fun and pull off stunts or maneuvers that would be impossible in the real world.

GrickleGrass fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 30, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There is a huge difference between types of vehicles in San Andreas, and braking is really important for driving well. The idea that you can take every turn at top speed with the accelerator down in every car is a ridiculous fantasy people have come up with.

GTA4 driving is loving garbage, all the vehicles have awful acceleration, basically no grip, bad brakes, and suspension that is straight up comedy, which results in supercars struggling to turn inside an intersection at 30 MPH. San Andreas's driving model is not only more fun, but vastly more skillful, in large part because you can drive much faster without crashing. The greater physics detail and vehicle damage in GTA4 are great, but the way they're put to use is really really bad.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

WAIT they made cutscenes that poked fun at him because he was fat?!

Goddamn I didn't know that.

Edit: gently caress GTA IV's driving physics. :colbert:. They have a hard on for all the realism crap they have to make me learn how to drive. If i wanted to play sim racing car game, then by god I would do that. I just never found the driving in GTA IV fun at all.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

K8.0 posted:

There is a huge difference between types of vehicles in San Andreas, and braking is really important for driving well. The idea that you can take every turn at top speed with the accelerator down in every car is a ridiculous fantasy people have come up with.

GTA4 driving is loving garbage, all the vehicles have awful acceleration, basically no grip, bad brakes, and suspension that is straight up comedy, which results in supercars struggling to turn inside an intersection at 30 MPH. San Andreas's driving model is not only more fun, but vastly more skillful, in large part because you can drive much faster without crashing. The greater physics detail and vehicle damage in GTA4 are great, but the way they're put to use is really really bad.

I agree wholeheartedly. Sure, cars feel more real because there is more physics to them, but... Are they fun to drive? No. Nothing makes me feel like a bad rear end quite like not being able to take a turn at a low speed on a residential street in a prime muscle car without spinning out enough to drift across the whole street horizontally and crash. I don't want them to go back to driving being as simple as it was in San Andreas, but they need to fix the feel of it, just like they improved the feel of gunplay, movement, and fluidity of characters from GTA IV to RDR to Max Payne 3.

edit: fact is, the way they made driving in GTA IV, hardly anything cool ever happens while driving and you can't really pull cool poo poo off on the fly like you could in San Andreas. Especially on motorcycles (which is probably why they tried to improve them for the subsequent games.)

Dave Mustard fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 30, 2012

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Is there a handling.cfg in GTAIV like there is in SA? Doing 0-100mph in 3 seconds but the car only has a top speed of 120 mph was sooo unrealistic, so you just edit that to make the cars accelerate, brake, corner, have more realistic aerodynamics, suspension and engine inertia etc.

Does GTAIV have something like that? Is it worth buying for the PC if I've already finished it on the PS3?

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Dave Mustard posted:

I agree wholeheartedly. Sure, cars feel more real because there is more physics to them, but... Are they fun to drive? No. Nothing makes me feel like a bad rear end quite like not being able to take a turn at a low speed on a residential street in a prime muscle car without spinning out enough to drift across the whole street horizontally and crash. I don't want them to go back to driving being as simple as it was in San Andreas, but they need to fix the feel of it, just like they improved the feel of gunplay, movement, and fluidity of characters from GTA IV to RDR to Max Payne 3.

edit: fact is, the way they made driving in GTA IV, hardly anything cool ever happens while driving and you can't really pull cool poo poo off on the fly like you could in San Andreas. Especially on motorcycles (which is probably why they tried to improve them for the subsequent games.)

I agree with you, especially about the motorcycles and the tendency to slide horizontally in the heavier vehicles. I wasn't at all trying to say that the driving in IV is anywhere near perfect, just that I feel it is generally a move in the right direction and that I still personally find it to be a better experience than the driving in SA. Now more fun? That's tough, because I have far more memories of chaotic mayhem and the assorted craziness that the driving in SA allowed.

I'm certain that the driving in V will be tweaked and I hope that a compromise is made between the two vastly different iterations of the mechanics. I'm actually quite excited to see how much both the driving and shooting have been improved, especially looking at the improvements made in RDR.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ak Gara posted:

Does GTAIV have something like that? Is it worth buying for the PC if I've already finished it on the PS3?

I've re-bought every gta on the pc since they started coming out on consoles first, which I'm still bitter about. You can mod GTA4 plenty, and it's very worth it, especially if you catch a steam sale.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think enough time has passed, this needs to get posted again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftk3f_0WZww

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I don't mind GTA IV's car handling as long as I don't have to do a car race. The turning is just so lovely that I could never imagine trying to win races while having to make turns all the time.

And since we're talking about controversial GTA IV things; I finally finished Three Leaf Clover, and it's not nearly as hard as I remember. The combat portion is piss easy thanks to M4A1 headshots being insta-kills (even against the SWAT guys), and I got through the evasion part with no problem thanks to a goon in this thread suggesting that you run past the police radius in the subway tunnels instead of trying to face them head-on. It's probably one of the better missions in GTA IV when you know the tricks to use on it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I don't know what all the hate is about regarding GTA4 cars. If you handle it like an actual car, braking in a straight line and accelerating through your turn, the cars handled great. The comedic hand-brake-centered SA driving matched the attitude of the game, but was by no means efficient or good.

The only thing I missed was the wide open spaces of SA to let loose and pick a few traffic-free straight runs through trees and off of hills-turned-ramps.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I did like the change to a more realistic driving style, but i didn't like the way they implemented it.
So I use a modded handling file I got off gtamods and now cars drive great.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It was that camera offset that I didn't like. Which for some reason didn't appear in the in car view, where it was appropriate.

I didn't mind the handling though. Took some getting used to but I never had trouble cornering once I learned when to brake. The weight definately shifts too much though, I think they were going for that Driver 1&2 style where everything leans over too much and enormo drifts, and went a little overboard on it.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

closeted republican posted:

I don't mind GTA IV's car handling as long as I don't have to do a car race. The turning is just so lovely that I could never imagine trying to win races while having to make turns all the time.

And since we're talking about controversial GTA IV things; I finally finished Three Leaf Clover, and it's not nearly as hard as I remember. The combat portion is piss easy thanks to M4A1 headshots being insta-kills (even against the SWAT guys), and I got through the evasion part with no problem thanks to a goon in this thread suggesting that you run past the police radius in the subway tunnels instead of trying to face them head-on. It's probably one of the better missions in GTA IV when you know the tricks to use on it.

A combination of Kiki's wanted level clearance ability and Dwayne's backup made it a bit more easy for me.

I'm kinda disappointed that Rockstar didn't wait until the LA game to do the Heat inspired bank robbery shootout set-piece. Oh well maybe they'll let us knock over an armored car with a big rig.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BrandonGK posted:

I'm kinda disappointed that Rockstar didn't wait until the LA game to do the Heat inspired bank robbery shootout set-piece. Oh well maybe they'll let us knock over an armored car with a big rig.
Well, heists are kind of a thing in GTA games now and the GTAV trailer hints at a heist or a bank robbery so there probably will be one. No Leaf Clover was a really cool mission but I think it could be done at a larger scale with planning stages and recruitment and whatnot, like in SA. The downside to NLC was that there was very little, if any, of the planning stages in it and it was just basically Niko showing up at Packie's house like "What the hell, let's go rob a bank!"

Also I love the driving physics in GTAIV. The cars feel heavy and require a certain amount of skill to drive properly. Going back to SA driving felt really bizarre and arcade-y and not nearly as thrilling or fun as in GTAIV.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It also kind of bugged me how they left a dead cohort in the bank and pretty much nothing ever came of it. It was like "Nooooooo, he got shot!" for the protagonists and nobody else ever bothered to ID the body or look into it at all. How dumb is the LCPD anyway?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Dewgy posted:

It also kind of bugged me how they left a dead cohort in the bank and pretty much nothing ever came of it. It was like "Nooooooo, he got shot!" for the protagonists and nobody else ever bothered to ID the body or look into it at all. How dumb is the LCPD anyway?

The main character regularly genocides the people of Liberty City and gets away with it, and that's what bugs you?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
All the talk of the handling got me hoping that they improve the damage modelling, GTAIV's is a revolution compared to the PS2-era games but while your car morphing to crazy proportions after a massive crash is funny, I'd love it if your crappy hatchback basically get torn apart if you hit something hard enough or you could rip the back end off your car if you hit something mid-drift. Obviously, there would be acceptable breaks from reality so you could still have fun without your car dying.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Dewgy posted:

My guess is that Francis probably shifted that avenue of the investigation somewhere else. He probably guessed that Nico was involved in the robbery and decided the last thing he needed was a guy who can tie him to several murders being hauled in on capital charges.

Plus as Coffee and Pie pointed out its GTA where you regularly do things that in real life would get you renditioned to a blacksite in Eastern Europe.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Walton Simons posted:

All the talk of the handling got me hoping that they improve the damage modelling, GTAIV's is a revolution compared to the PS2-era games but while your car morphing to crazy proportions after a massive crash is funny, I'd love it if your crappy hatchback basically get torn apart if you hit something hard enough or you could rip the back end off your car if you hit something mid-drift. Obviously, there would be acceptable breaks from reality so you could still have fun without your car dying.
That reminds me, someone in the Steam thread posted some tech demo from CryEngine3 ... lemme go find it ... There we are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg

I doubt they'd license it to Rockstar for some reason (though Rockstar North could probably cook up something similar, if there isn't another middleware product with advanced "bits falling off cars as you wreck'em" technology) but if the vehicles in GTAV behaved like this in collisions and whatnot :swoon:

I didn't mind the car handling too much in GTA IV once I got used to it, I liked that the bigger cars felt a bit beefy, but there were occasions during missions where I wish the handling was in fact a bit more arcadey.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

Is there a handling.cfg in GTAIV like there is in SA? Doing 0-100mph in 3 seconds but the car only has a top speed of 120 mph was sooo unrealistic, so you just edit that to make the cars accelerate, brake, corner, have more realistic aerodynamics, suspension and engine inertia etc.

Yes. Its greatest use is for turning off friction.
http://youtu.be/QIHqqVchU2k
http://youtu.be/Drp9o4E7G7U

There's also a third-party tool for modding individual cars.
http://www.gtagaming.com/downloads/gta-iv/tools/1825

Ohio State BOOniversity fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 30, 2012

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Cops are so dumb in SA, I'm getting shot at by gang members in full view and they don't do anything.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Coffee And Pie posted:

The main character regularly genocides the people of Liberty City and gets away with it, and that's what bugs you?

Not when I played the game he didn't! Well not until after the ending anyway.

Besides, my random mayhem didn't have people sitting around writing a script for it, did it? :colbert:

I forgot that the chief of police was connected to you (through the other robbers) though so I guess that makes a little more sense.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Is there any way of getting GTA:SA to play nice with SLI, and if not, is a single 690 still considered SLI?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Just take off the SLI bridge.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I have SA on steam and It crashes constantly on my. HD6970. Ive done everything and it still doesn't run stably :(

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

simosimo posted:

I have SA on steam and It crashes constantly on my. HD6970. Ive done everything and it still doesn't run stably :(

Do you have any mods? Steam uses version 3.0 which is designed to stop mods.

Cojawfee posted:

Just take off the SLI bridge.

That stopped SLI from working at all :(

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Ak Gara posted:

Do you have any mods? Steam uses version 3.0 which is designed to stop mods.

Nope, I even downgraded to 1.0 and still the same poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ak Gara posted:

Why do you want to use SLI in the first place? The game came out seven years ago, it doesn't need two video cards.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Cops are so dumb in SA, I'm getting shot at by gang members in full view and they don't do anything.

Sounds like realism to me :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

simosimo posted:

Nope, I even downgraded to 1.0 and still the same poo poo.

Are you sure downgrading isn't what's causing the crashes? I could barely get SA to start when I downgraded it, but it started working fine when I wiped and reinstalled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Songbearer posted:

Sounds like realism to me :v:

That's the great thing about SA, anytime the cop AI doesnt work it's realistic.

• Locked thread