Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

ehonna_disco posted:

Voice-activated functions were always so weak on my Evo that I hardly ever used it anyway. Is it better in ICS/Sense4?

The commands plus dictation are amazing in 4.0. A world of difference compared to 2.3.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

FogHelmut posted:

edit- And it doesn't fit in my "universal" bicycle mount. I guess I can still use my old Evo to record GPS routes, that shouldn't need a cellular connection for that.

Oh drat it! I have that exact same one, and I was REALLY hoping it would work in there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Grumpwagon posted:

Oh drat it! I have that exact same one, and I was REALLY hoping it would work in there.

I've been fooling with it - it kinda fits, very snugly. But it doesn't sit up against the clear plastic, and the clear plastic is smaller than the screen, so you can't use it much once it's in there.

edit - Are people still using Handcent? I like the lock screen integration with the stock SMS, but I hate the iPhone-ish chat bubbles.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 26, 2012

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Finally did get sick of the Amazon run-around and canceled with them while I was talking to the Best Buy employee about their preorder promotion, which is still going on through June 2. Didn't realize all those discounts and the old Evo 4G trade-in would cause my net cost for the phone to be so low (50+tax+activation?) through Best Buy, so that's the route I ended up going.

FogHelmut posted:

edit - Are people still using Handcent? I like the lock screen integration with the stock SMS, but I hate the iPhone-ish chat bubbles.
I have the Handcent widget on my WidgetLocker lock screen, and I don't mind its bubble look there. Within the app itself, I don't use those annoying bubbles - it's just blocks of text back and forth prepended by the name postpended with the time. My favorite feature about Handcent is that I can set a custom vibration pattern, so I don't ever get it confused with other notifications that also vibrate. My gripes, though:
1) Sometimes the threaded conversation in Handcent has huge missing gaps in its history, even though going through stock messages shows all the messages you'd expect. This seems especially common on very long threads.
2) With some recent style redesign in the app, I find myself somehow getting on a Handcent login page when unlocking directly into Handcent. I think maybe I'm pressing the wrong thing or accidentally hitting that star icon on the top for Handcent services.
3) If you have a draft message out with someone, their thread doesn't jump to the top. And if their name is more than like 15 characters, you can't see the red "... Draft" text that goes next to their names, cuz the name already is cut off. They should have the red Draft text on the next line which shows the first line of the last message sent or received in the conversation. (Of course, if I hold the phone in landscape, I can see the red Draft text much more easily because it's less likely to get cut off.)

Edit: Haha, the preorder confirmation email from Best Buy today said that the phone's estimated date of arrival is May 18. Ok then.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 26, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

EVO 4G LTE battery report:

I went about 12 hours before the phone got to 0%. It shut itself off, and I turned it back on. The battery said 5%, and I got about another 40 minutes out of it before it turned off again. I could not turn it back on after this. This would be considered above average use for me. I can't say for sure how this compares to the OG Evo, but with it's two year old battery I would be around 50% by lunchtime. I'll have to wait until later this week when I'm back at work to get a good comparison.

Also most of this was typed via voice recognition.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

FogHelmut posted:

It shut itself off, and I turned it back on. The battery said 5%, and I got about another 40 minutes out of it before it turned off again. I could not turn it back on after this.

Pretty sure this is how you ruin batteries.

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

chizad posted:

According to the mobile buyer's guide thing I grabbed from one of my local stores, the $50 + $50 Evo trade-in is going on through June 2nd. And yeah, looks like the Wallet credit did expire on 5/22.
Ugh, then screw those dicks at my local Best Buy. I asked them about it and they were all like, "Nope, never heard of something like that," when one of them was one of the ones who sold my wife her phone with that $50 + $50 deal less than a month ago.

I looked a little harder about the Wallet credit, it's now just a $10 credit. I wish I would've known that you could buy out your contract earlier, when my wife was buying her phone... it was a killer deal for the Nexus. Now... well, it's still a good deal, $160 off (if you include Phone Freedom) instead of $200.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Couldn't you still easily sell the Evo on craigslist or similar for >$100 anyway?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I broke down and finally installed a custom ICS-based ROM on my Evo 3D. I went with MeanROM, which looked pretty popular. So far so good! Everything seems to be working, it's fast, and overall feels like a much smoother experience. Battery life concerns me a bit, but I'm going to have to wait and see how that pans out. It's probably bad right now because I keep installing, configuring and customizing things. I need to see what normal use gets me.

Also, the stock HTC keyboard is way better than I remember!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

How do I know if the phone is lying? I dont typically run the battery into the ground, I normally plug in at various times throughout the day. It's like travelling - piss when you can, because you don't know when your next opportunity will be.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

No it isn't. It's how you ruin lithium ion batteries that don't have safety chips built in, such as li-on batteries used in hobbiest settings. All phone batteries have voltage safety overrides built into them and the only reliable way to ruin one is to do the aforementioned, then leave the battery in the phone for multiple months without recharging it.

Charging and discharging batteries in your everyday life is perfectly fine.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SeaborneClink posted:

No it isn't. It's how you ruin lithium ion batteries that don't have safety chips built in, such as li-on batteries used in hobbiest settings. All phone batteries have voltage safety overrides built into them and the only reliable way to ruin one is to do the aforementioned, then leave the battery in the phone for multiple months without recharging it.

Charging and discharging batteries in your everyday life is perfectly fine.

Well then the Android OS thread has lied to me so many times.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ehonna_disco posted:

FYI: Those of you who pre-ordered an Evo LTE might be getting a free case in the mail. I just got a nice blue silicon case that fits snug and is definitely a lot better than the flimsy and super-loose-fitting silicon sleeve that I bought for my 4G Evo 2 years ago.

It was nice gesture for a week or so delay, but they couldn't have picked something that wasn't so painfully contrasting to the phone itself? The underlying theme is, y'know, red, not an extremely loud neon blue. I appreciate the effort, but I hate protectors -- particularly ones that are sort of meant to draw attention to the phone, and this one just screams "I'm trying really hard, look at my new phone!"

Which is funny, because that's something I kinda want to do with my mouth; this thing is awesome. After having the original EVO and the EVO 3D, the EVO LTE is amazing, and the battery is sort of freaking me out (though I haven't done much more than occasional browsing while out and about waiting for food or firing out a bunch of text messages). So far, with 41% remaining from my very first charge, I still have an uptime of 2d 13h 57m 33s. That's pretty drat awesome.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well then the Android OS thread has lied to me so many times.

I think people get mixed up and start thinking about the old nimh batteries which had memory effect etc. Lithium batteries seem to be aged by actual time and complete charge cycles (2 half charges or one full makes no difference)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Did everyone get their free case on Friday? Sprint hasn't sent me one. Did it come in the mail, or UPS with the phone?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I got the phone on Thursday, case came Friday via UPS.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

My wife was getting decent battery life with her Galaxy Nexus for the first couple of weeks, but it seems to be draining a bit faster lately. I'm not sure if she's just using it more often, has installed something that's doing more syncing than usual, or what... but I'm considering getting her an extended battery because that poo poo's just gonna get worse when LTE lights up.

A few questions:

1. Will *any* Galaxy Nexus extended battery work, or is the Sprint version different enough to require a specific battery?

2. I had amazing results with my Seidio extended battery for the Evo 4G, but is there a consensus on a "best" extended battery for the Galaxy Nexus? I see that Seidio has one for the Galaxy Nexus as well, but is it better to stick with the official battery?

3. Are there any decent cases that will work with an extended battery? She finds the phone a bit too slippery without a case, but obviously the case she's using right now won't work if she slaps a larger battery in there.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SamBishop posted:

It was nice gesture for a week or so delay, but they couldn't have picked something that wasn't so painfully contrasting to the phone itself? The underlying theme is, y'know, red, not an extremely loud neon blue. I appreciate the effort, but I hate protectors -- particularly ones that are sort of meant to draw attention to the phone, and this one just screams "I'm trying really hard, look at my new phone!"

I've actually grown to love it for two reasons: it reminds me of that gorgeous AT&T Lumia thing and the blue/red shades remind me of Superman.

With:

Without:

It feels a lot better in the hand without a case.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Did everyone get their free case on Friday? Sprint hasn't sent me one. Did it come in the mail, or UPS with the phone?

It was a separate mailing, yeah, that showed up the next day. It was a UPS delivery for me like the phone, but I get the impression they wanted them to show up at the same time. Like heat, the phone came on Thursday and the case on Friday.

If for some reason nothing shows up for you next week, I can probably send mine your way (if you don't mind some banged-up/missing packaging, of course; I just kinda tore into it. It's honestly too loud for my tastes, so better that it goes to a good place if you're interested. It's certainly a decent cover, but whoever thought red and blue were a good match was kinda crazy -- and it was a conscious effort, since there's a red HTC logo on the back that's roughly the same shade as the kickstand.

[edit] Ah, ehonna_disco illustrated it far better than my words ever could. For me, the phone au naturel is balanced so nicely and feels so thin that I wouldn't want to mess it up, but I can see how some would like it. Offer still stands if nothing shows up for you FogHelmut! I've got E3 prep and stuff, so I'll be all over the place next week, but worst-case scenario, I can kick it your way when I get back home after the show.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 27, 2012

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

brc64 posted:

My wife was getting decent battery life with her Galaxy Nexus for the first couple of weeks, but it seems to be draining a bit faster lately. I'm not sure if she's just using it more often, has installed something that's doing more syncing than usual, or what... but I'm considering getting her an extended battery because that poo poo's just gonna get worse when LTE lights up.

A few questions:

1. Will *any* Galaxy Nexus extended battery work, or is the Sprint version different enough to require a specific battery?

2. I had amazing results with my Seidio extended battery for the Evo 4G, but is there a consensus on a "best" extended battery for the Galaxy Nexus? I see that Seidio has one for the Galaxy Nexus as well, but is it better to stick with the official battery?

3. Are there any decent cases that will work with an extended battery? She finds the phone a bit too slippery without a case, but obviously the case she's using right now won't work if she slaps a larger battery in there.

I got a GSM Nexus and I believe the LTE Sprint/Verizon one are the same size. The GSM one has a smaller battery and is a bit thinner. I know I had to order a charger extended battery/back kit from the UK for my GSM model (the one that's 2000 mAh not one of the gargantuan 3500s). Pretty sure as long as you get any extended battery that works with the LTE version it should be fine.

As for cases, you could always get the extended battery from Seidio and I know they make cases specifically for the extended back. Just be aware that any case made to fit one of the 3500 mAh batteries is going to add some ridiculous bulk.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Any ideas on when the Evo LTE is coming to stores? I really want to handle one in person before I decide between that and the Nexus.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

Any ideas on when the Evo LTE is coming to stores? I really want to handle one in person before I decide between that and the Nexus.

I went to a "real" Sprint store today and they said sometime next week. I was hoping to play around with it today.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

moolchaba posted:

I went to a "real" Sprint store today and they said sometime next week. I was hoping to play around with it today.

Thanks, I also need to handle it to be sure I want to get one... Plus, it has to fit in my Carhartts to be an option.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

Not soon enough :(

Rumors are Tuesday.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So from the sounds of it, the Evo3d will have full cyanogenmod9 support. They already have Wimax/Camera working (in testing, soon to be out.) And one of the devs started working on 3D last week and said it should be incorporated into the code hopefully next month.

That said, if, and I do mean if a fully functional, stable CM9 comes to frutition on the EVO3d, is there really any reason to switch to a Evo4gLTE other than LTE service in the future?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

So from the sounds of it, the Evo3d will have full cyanogenmod9 support. They already have Wimax/Camera working (in testing, soon to be out.) And one of the devs started working on 3D last week and said it should be incorporated into the code hopefully next month.

That said, if, and I do mean if a fully functional, stable CM9 comes to frutition on the EVO3d, is there really any reason to switch to a Evo4gLTE other than LTE service in the future?

Since flashing MeanROM on my Evo 3D, I'm no longer quite as jealous of my wife's Galaxy Nexus. The hardware on the 4G LTE is going to be better, but I don't know if that's enough for me to justify a new phone. I'll really have to wait until I can get my hands on one to decide. I've heard people say the screen is absolutely gorgeous...

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Camera and screen quality on the LTE will still be miles better than the 3D, but it's debatable if that's worth using your upgrade/buying one used any time soon.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I'm just going to wait out my contract with my 3D since I actually live in an area with good WiMax coverage (just not inside). Running MeanROM ICS on it makes this phone feel brand new, I can't imagine how snappy it will be with CM on it.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

ratbert90 posted:

In the meantime, here's your next best bet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1666938

SOS M is a MeanROM-based sense ROM without the Sense (AOSP apps, the launcher of your choice, status bar of your choice, apps of your choice). It's fantastic.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Jeratain posted:

In the meantime, here's your next best bet: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1666938

SOS M is a MeanROM-based sense ROM without the Sense (AOSP apps, the launcher of your choice, status bar of your choice, apps of your choice). It's fantastic.

And swag is a great Rom, I've been running swagged out stock on my OG evo, and love it.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
The wife and I have a family plan and we are going to finally upgrade to smartphones. My upgrade comes in 2 days and the wife's comes in 32 days. If I upgrade in 2 days and sign a new 2 year contract to get the discount on the new evo phone, will it screw her out of her upgrade or will she also get a discount at the same time or am I better off waiting the 32 days for both of us?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Mr Pepper posted:

The wife and I have a family plan and we are going to finally upgrade to smartphones. My upgrade comes in 2 days and the wife's comes in 32 days. If I upgrade in 2 days and sign a new 2 year contract to get the discount on the new evo phone, will it screw her out of her upgrade or will she also get a discount at the same time or am I better off waiting the 32 days for both of us?

Contracts are by line not by account. When you upgrade your line never has any impact on when she can upgrade hers. The only time someone getting a new phone screws someone else out of an upgrade is if you intentionally use theirs when you aren't eligible.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
So what is going to be the best deal for getting the Evo LTE? Are there any good trade in values if coming from the Evo 3d, or is selling it after the upgrade my best bet?

I only ask because I got 175 for my OG Evo when upgrading to the 3d

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Any word on ICS for the e3d?

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Any word on ICS for the e3d?

The official word is June-July, but apparently a ROM for it has leaked already.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The new Evo looks pretty nice...so much nicer than the current Evo I have that I'm considering dropping my old employee plan that I'm not "really" eligible for anymore to get it...

How feasible is it to try and switch to EPRP from an employee plan? I know with that plan I used to have to buy the phones outright then have my local Sprint rep get the phone activated, since it was a concession line.

Or is EPRP even the best deal? I use less than 2 hours of talk time a month, but a ton of texts and data.

Sorry, I haven't been on a real Sprint plan in a while...

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Jeratain posted:

I finally rooted my E3D to install this last night after keeping it stock since launch day. It feels twice as fast now...so much so that I don't really feel like I want to upgrade to the E4GLTE anymore. Even things like typing seem to be much smoother.

For anyone who's sick of waiting for the official ICS update, I highly recommend this rom. Downgrading the HBOOT and rooting was much easier than I thought it would be, too.

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE
Apologies in advance if this isnt the place for this, not sure where else to ask.

My wife has an Evo4G that got dropped, everything seems functional except for the backlight. Is the backlight replaceable separate from the screen, or is it an all in one unit, and where should I go to order parts?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

SamBishop posted:

It was a separate mailing, yeah, that showed up the next day. It was a UPS delivery for me like the phone, but I get the impression they wanted them to show up at the same time. Like heat, the phone came on Thursday and the case on Friday.

If for some reason nothing shows up for you next week, I can probably send mine your way (if you don't mind some banged-up/missing packaging, of course; I just kinda tore into it. It's honestly too loud for my tastes, so better that it goes to a good place if you're interested. It's certainly a decent cover, but whoever thought red and blue were a good match was kinda crazy -- and it was a conscious effort, since there's a red HTC logo on the back that's roughly the same shade as the kickstand.

[edit] Ah, ehonna_disco illustrated it far better than my words ever could. For me, the phone au naturel is balanced so nicely and feels so thin that I wouldn't want to mess it up, but I can see how some would like it. Offer still stands if nothing shows up for you FogHelmut! I've got E3 prep and stuff, so I'll be all over the place next week, but worst-case scenario, I can kick it your way when I get back home after the show.

Thanks for the offer, but my case came today. It's the grey plastic one. It covers the kickstand, but has its own built in kickstand. This case is a true bastard to take off. I probably won't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

beamrider posted:

Apologies in advance if this isnt the place for this, not sure where else to ask.

My wife has an Evo4G that got dropped, everything seems functional except for the backlight. Is the backlight replaceable separate from the screen, or is it an all in one unit, and where should I go to order parts?

Sprint will replace the screen for $35, otherwise you can go on ebay and do it yourself. Duckman always says the Evo 4g's screen is very easy to replace. I'm pretty sure it's all one piece, but I've never opened one up, so I'll defer to someone more knowledgable on that one.