Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Jeoh posted:

Exactly the same? It's not like we have separate hospitals for foreigners.

Right, I meant reimbursement wise. If you end up getting hospitalized or something in a country that has universal health care, do you still get a bill since you're not a resident?

Re-reading my post I didn't convey that message at all. sorry about that. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Laminator posted:

Right, I meant reimbursement wise. If you end up getting hospitalized or something in a country that has universal health care, do you still get a bill since you're not a resident?

This is why technically you need health insurance that covers up to EUR 30,000 when you enter the Schengen area (regardless of whether you apply for your visa at home or get one at arrival). If you're a white westerner immigration will most likely not check, though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Laminator posted:

Yes, you will be billed the full amount, which is likely going to be pretty much the same as if you were in the United States with no health care coverage.

You didn't spend your entire life paying taxes in Europe and contributing money to their health care system, why would you expect for them to pay for your health care?

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

I wouldn't. So if I don't have health insurance in the US or one's policy wouldn't extend coverage abroad, is it a good choice to get traveler's insurance to cover any potential health problems?

e: for a relatively short trip, 5 weeks

Laminator fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 28, 2012

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Laminator posted:

I wouldn't. So if I don't have health insurance in the US or one's policy wouldn't extend coverage abroad, is it a good choice to get traveler's insurance to cover any potential health problems?

e: for a relatively short trip, 5 weeks

It's actually a legal obligation.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

EricBauman posted:

which no one follows or even knows about. I think Laminator's question is more along the lines of "will they send the bill to me in the US, or will I just have to flee Europe for the next 15 years until the statue of limitations expires." Any idea? I've never known anyone who had a serious accident while traveling.

(I have MedJet evac insurance and my US policy insures me in Europe anyway, just not as well.)

VVVV You could take a look at MetJet Assist. Might be cheaper ones though.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 29, 2012

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

EricBauman posted:

Cool.

Any recommendations for traveler's health insurance? Every site I'm finding on google looks really shady.

Laminator fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 29, 2012

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Crossposted from the recently started 'Tell Me About Greece,' thread:

My Fiancee and I are exploring honeymoon options after our Wedding in September, and Greece is a desination we're considering. With all of the financial/political turmoil going on now (and expected to continue), are we stupid to even consider it until things blow over? We're thinking of doing a combination of islands and historical spots.

Otherwise, can anyone recommend island/tropical/beach destinations in Europe? We're doing some research to figure out our plans (i've got relatives in Saint-Tropez, so we may do something along those lines).

Thanks!

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Cervixalot posted:

Otherwise, can anyone recommend island/tropical/beach destinations in Europe? We're doing some research to figure out our plans (i've got relatives in Saint-Tropez, so we may do something along those lines).

Cant answer the questions about Greece but Elba is a beautiful little island that is ofter over looked by English speaking tourists. It's only 12 miles from the Tuscan mainland so it's easy to incorporate it into any of the Tuscan cities.

High season will be over in September so things will be a bit quieter.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Cervixalot posted:

My Fiancee and I are exploring honeymoon options after our Wedding in September, and Greece is a desination we're considering. With all of the financial/political turmoil going on now (and expected to continue), are we stupid to even consider it until things blow over? We're thinking of doing a combination of islands and historical spots.

Thanks!

Greece will be fine with the exception of maybe Athens. The Greeks -probably- won't go back to the Drachma, but even if they do, it won't be within the next three months. The anger isn't directed at tourists in any case, particularly if you're not German (and even if you are, the worst that will happen is some 20-something jobless yelling at you).

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
My friend and I are trying to plan a trip to Europe. Unfortunately we are incredibly busy right now. I have two questions:

1) Any general advice on planning trips with little notice/time? Keep in mind neither me nor my friend are frequent travelers, in fact I can say we have near (but not quite) zero experience.

2) Specifically our predicament has led us to looking at packages like Contiki tours, anyone have any thoughts or advice on that? Any big yay's or nay's, or perhaps other, better providers?

There's a short list of specific towns and places we want to see, but overall we have very little inherent structure to our desired locales, so we're fairly flexible. Thanks.

HalfPricePimpSuit
May 26, 2008

Laminator posted:

Cool.

Any recommendations for traveler's health insurance? Every site I'm finding on google looks really shady.

http://www.insuremytrip.com/ is the only site I have been able to consider helpful and non scammy. There are reviews for each and every plan type. I found a highly rated plan for less than $20USD. "Cancel any time" benefits increase the prices significantly.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Jenkl posted:

My friend and I are trying to plan a trip to Europe. Unfortunately we are incredibly busy right now. I have two questions:

1) Any general advice on planning trips with little notice/time? Keep in mind neither me nor my friend are frequent travelers, in fact I can say we have near (but not quite) zero experience.

2) Specifically our predicament has led us to looking at packages like Contiki tours, anyone have any thoughts or advice on that? Any big yay's or nay's, or perhaps other, better providers?

There's a short list of specific towns and places we want to see, but overall we have very little inherent structure to our desired locales, so we're fairly flexible. Thanks.

What do you want to see? How much time do you have? Generally I don't like tours though I know plenty of people who really enjoyed them.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

So I am going to England for a study program this July that includes long weekends (Off class by 1400 on Thursday, don't need to be back until Monday). I want to go to Paris from the 13-15 July, but Eurostar is looking like it will be 250+ return, and similar for flights. I am considering taking a megabus for the night trip, which is about 50 pounds return (it's much cheaper if I go during the day but I don't want to waste the precious days I have). I am wondering if this is a horrible idea, does anyone have experience with megabus overnight trips?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cervixalot posted:

Thanks!

You should be fine in Greece. We were going to do Greece on our trip, but we were going to be doing ONLY Athens, and then when it turned out they were going to have their elections when we were there we cut out that leg of the trip and went to Berlin instead, but in hundsight I don't think we even really had to do that. Everything I read while making the decisions said the islands were pretty much completely fine, it was only Athens where there were any problems and even then for tourists it's still pretty safe.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jenkl posted:

Repeating all the questions transient asked and also adding, what's your budget? And what cities? What kind of holiday do you really want?

MUST. SEE. EVERYTHING. MUST. GET. PHOTOS.
If this is your priority, then you'll probably be very happy with a tour. They'll get you to all the major sights and keep you fed and watered and moving efficiently. Your itinerary will be planned and you won't have to think about a thing.

I want to see some things but mostly just hang out and see what happens.
If this is your priority (and you have the budget management drive/ability for it--not that you need a lot of money but you'll have to pay attention to it), then you can just book flights and your first hotel, buy a guide book the week before you go (I prefer Rough Guide) and read it on the plane. If you're going to huge cities like Paris, London, Rome, etc. you'll never see everything even with a tour guide, but there are loads of things you can't do with a tour guide like just pop into a cool shop that you saw out of the corner of your eye, sleep in or decide how long you want to stay at a location.

If you want to visit a bunch of cities it's a little more difficult this way but personally I much prefer being in charge of my own holiday.

But answer the questions above and we'll be able to help more.

Yoda posted:

So I am going to England for a study program this July that includes long weekends (Off class by 1400 on Thursday, don't need to be back until Monday). I want to go to Paris from the 13-15 July, but Eurostar is looking like it will be 250+ return, and similar for flights. I am considering taking a megabus for the night trip, which is about 50 pounds return (it's much cheaper if I go during the day but I don't want to waste the precious days I have). I am wondering if this is a horrible idea, does anyone have experience with megabus overnight trips?

easyjet.com has flights from Luton to CDG for ~Ł50 each way. That won't include any checked luggage though, I don't think. You have to check their site (and ryanair but gently caress them) seperately because they don't show up on aggregators.

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
I have another question regarding Europe. I am only going to be using the train 2 times in my trip, so I wont be buying any EURAIL passes, but I'd just like to know roughly how much these train tickets will cost? I looked around online but they were around US$200 and that seemed a bit much, but what do you eurogoons say? I will be taking a night train from Paris to Barcelona, and then another one (maybe?) from Amsterdam to Paris. How much would these be roughly? Thanks

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

professor muthafukkah posted:

I have another question regarding Europe. I am only going to be using the train 2 times in my trip, so I wont be buying any EURAIL passes, but I'd just like to know roughly how much these train tickets will cost? I looked around online but they were around US$200 and that seemed a bit much, but what do you eurogoons say? I will be taking a night train from Paris to Barcelona, and then another one (maybe?) from Amsterdam to Paris. How much would these be roughly? Thanks

The prices you see online are what they cost, and they're only going to get more expensive, not cheaper. You don't mention your dates, but a lot of train tickets only go on sale 3 months before the date, and then as the cheaper fares sell out and get more expensive. So, if you're going in two weeks, you'll probably be paying a lot. I paid the second lowest fare on some tickets for my trip because I booked too late for the cheapest price, two months before we were going. Check on tgv-europe.com (don't let them send you to raileurope.com), they have most of the trains on there.

geera
May 20, 2003

Jenkl posted:

My wife and I went on a Contiki tour to London and Paris last September and loved it. It was our first time to Europe so it helped to have a lot of the details (lodging, transportation, etc) worked out in advance for us. You just show up at the hotel on the designated date and they tell you when and where you'll be going, and when your free time will be, etc.

Contiki is geared towards a younger crowd, so along with one other married couple we were the old farts of the group at age 31, but we still had a great time. There were probably 30 or so in our group and most were from the US, Canada, or Australia. We had a great tour guide and most of the people in our group were genuinely in to it for the travel experience and not just the partying, which Contiki has kind of a reputation for.

Now that we've been there I think we know enough to handle the details ourselves for a future trip back, but for total newbies to Europe it worked out great.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Thanks for all the safety information on Greece. Good to know we're not crazy for considering!

Anyone got recommendations on what/where to visit for say a 10 day honeymoon in Greece ? We're looking to get a mix of history/countryside siteseeing and lots of relaxation on a beach or island somewhere.

We both love ancient greek history & mythology, and we're both suckers for some beautiful countryside. Ultimately we'll want at least a couple of days to relax hard on a beach. Any thoughts on places?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Thanks for the advice so far.

Our time frame is 16 days. I'd say my friend and I aren't focused on seeing everything. A good mix of planned events and free roaming would be ideal. I think the perfect trip would be like a contiki trip but with a bit more free time. That being said, given that we're so busy I think we're willing to sacrifice a bit on the "perfect" trip to have the peace of mind and save the time on planning.

Neither my friend nor I want to see anything in particular. Id like to see a WW2 museum and the Eiffel Tower. Venice would be great (mom tells me its wonderful). We definitely want some free time to wander and explore.

I know that's not much to go on, but honestly there's not a list of specific places we want to see. Country/city wise, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin or Munich, and Venice or Rome I think are our main targets.

Our budget is upwards of 5k each. We're both working and gettin fat stacks, but that's also why we don't have time to plan anything out ahead of time.

Does anyone else have a lot of experience just hopping on a plane and grabbing a guide? I worry that it would be pretty stressful, especially for a (nearly) first time travel duo.

geera
May 20, 2003

Jenkl posted:

A good mix of planned events and free roaming would be ideal. I think the perfect trip would be like a contiki trip but with a bit more free time. ... Country/city wise, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin or Munich, and Venice or Rome I think are our main targets.
You can pretty much do this with Contiki. Our primary guided tour was 5 days (2 in London, 3 in Paris), but they offer "extensions" that you can add when you book your trip that let you add an extra couple days, either by staying in your final tour city or by adding a 3rd city on. We chose to stay in Paris for the extended time (2 days - totally worth it), but other people in our group added either Amsterdam or Rome on as their extensions.

The extensions are totally un-guided, they just set you up with travel arrangements and a place to stay (or extend your current reservation, like in our case). From then on you're on your own.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

Cervixalot posted:

We actually just got back from a trip around Greece (the islands, mainly) 2 weeks ago. We were in Athens and had no problems at all. We were only in the city a day, however, and only had time to do the Parthenon area -- which was amazing, by the way!

As far as the Greek islands, Santorini was beyond beautiful. The cable car ride up to the town was a bit nerve-wracking, but than again I'm very afraid of heights. We had a nice time just wandering around, enjoying the scenery. Stumbled upon a really good restaurant called Aktaion, that had a nice view of the sea.

Rhodes was also lovely and had some great historical sites to see, like the Palace of the Grand Master.

Enjoy Greece. We loved it and can't wait to go back one day.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
I'm in Vienna for one whole day. I hate this city, it's incredibly boring. Can anyone recommend something to do that will make me change my mind?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

IHatePugs posted:

I'm in Vienna for one whole day. I hate this city, it's incredibly boring. Can anyone recommend something to do that will make me change my mind?

Go outside.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009

IHatePugs posted:

Here's something to read: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464595

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012
What's the best way to enter Slovenia? I'm confused between going through Hungary, Austria or Italy.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Eyeneedle posted:

What's the best way to enter Slovenia? I'm confused between going through Hungary, Austria or Italy.

Are you smuggling contraband or something? Otherwise I don't understand the question. You just... go whichever way you're going, right?

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012
I'm trying to plan a route through Eastern Europe. Vienna is my point of entry. I'm trying to decide whether it would be easier to go from Vienna. Otherwise I'll be doing Czech Republic - Slovakia - Hungary - Slovenia.

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008

Eyeneedle posted:

I'm trying to plan a route through Eastern Europe. Vienna is my point of entry. I'm trying to decide whether it would be easier to go from Vienna. Otherwise I'll be doing Czech Republic - Slovakia - Hungary - Slovenia.

Where exactly are you intending on going in those countries? The capitals?
Where do you have to depart from?

That looks like a really awkward circle if you enter Vienna and want to do a circle.

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012

Alkazard.exe posted:

Where exactly are you intending on going in those countries? The capitals?
Where do you have to depart from?

That looks like a really awkward circle if you enter Vienna and want to do a circle.

My journey has to begin and end at Vienna as I have return tickets booked from there. In the Czech Republic I plan to only visit Prague. Otherwise I'm not just looking at capital cities. I do want to spend some time away from the capitals in Austria, Slovenia and Hungary.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

drat, did I eat some germknoedel when I visited my Viennese grandparents as a little kid. I was all up in that!!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Eyeneedle posted:

How much time do you have? This is a crazy big circle, so I hope you have at least 3 weeks.

In Slovenia, the most interesting places are probably Ljubljana, Bled, Piran, and if you like caves at all, the very impressive cave systems near Divaca.

These are basically all on the far side of Slovenia from where you want your circle to go, but I guess it's just an extra hour and a half or two each way.

E: VVV 3 weeks sounds good for that.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 3, 2012

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012

Saladman posted:

How much time do you have? This is a crazy big circle, so I hope you have at least 3 weeks.

In Slovenia, the most interesting places are probably Ljubljana, Bled, Piran, and if you like caves at all, the very impressive cave systems near Divaca.

These are basically all on the far side of Slovenia from where you want your circle to go, but I guess it's just an extra hour and a half or two each way.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have exactly three weeks in Europe. Am I rushing it? Now that I look at it, I guess I should drop one of those countries and spend more time in Austria instead?

And yes, in Slovenia I do plan to go to Ljubljana, Bled, Piran and the Škocjan Caves. They seem a bit touristy but everything is so close that I can't resist.

The Viper
Oct 4, 2009
It's been recommended previously, but if you find Bled a bit too touristy check out lake Bohinj, which is an hour bus away. Like Bled, but way less people.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

corkskroo posted:

drat, did I eat some germknoedel when I visited my Viennese grandparents as a little kid. I was all up in that!!

Germknoedel is like a delicious form of stomach concrete, and probably among the weirdest/worst lunches I've ever had when skiing (germnknoedel+weissbier makes your stomach into a gassy brick).

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012
Ok, I have a stupid question and google hasn't been able to give me an answer.

I have one of those Eurail East Europe passes. Now the pass says that it's valid for all national rail networks within the selected countries. How does this apply to inter-country travel? If I board a OBB run train from Austria and get off at say Germany, do I buy an extra ticket when I cross into Germnay? Or does the pass cover this?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'm not entirely sure which kind of pass you have, but judging by this

quote:

You are not allowed to travel through a country where your pass is not valid, even if you don't stop there. If you do so, you will need to buy a separate ticket that covers the portion of your journey through that country.
being on the Eurail website, I would guess you need to buy a separate ticket when you cross over to Germany (assuming I understood correctly and you have a pass which covers Austria but not Germany).

Waci fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 4, 2012

The Extrapolator
Dec 14, 2006

Now what the fuck are some of these god damn questions?
Hey
I'm doing Budapest and Berlin each for 3 days; looking for some ideas. I'll be in Budapest with my girlfriend and in Berlin alone. Our only must do for Budapest is a bath and massage. No plans for Berlin but I'd like to spend two days exploring and the third doing some drinking with my friend. Just looking for goon recommendations.

Also heading to Santorini for my third time on Wednesday and I'll praise its beauty too. Couldn't imagine doing Greece without having the majority of my time on the Islands.

Ps South of Munich Hbf is loud as gently caress on the streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012

Waci posted:

I'm not entirely sure which kind of pass you have, but judging by this
being on the Eurail website, I would guess you need to buy a separate ticket when you cross over to Germany (assuming I understood correctly and you have a pass which covers Austria but not Germany).

Couldn't find that on the website. Thanks.