Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

chippy posted:

Surely 1920 x 1080 is best for HD Video, as then there's no scaling?

It is exactly 2 times 720p, and exactly 1.3̅ times 1080p. Most content is still 720p or not fixed resolution, like a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I have a Crossover and my mate bought one too when he saw it... Its amazing and I run it from a docked Macbook so no dual monitor setup. I can have 2 windows that are at a "maximised size" due to the real estate offered. If I could run 2 I would!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So, the Dell U2312HM in the OP is on sale at the moment on amazon.co.uk for ~£165.

This seems like a good deal, yes? And for gaming, the Dell will be better than either an Asus VH236H or VH242H, right?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I had a U2410 for 2 years (bought from reseller) and it is rock solid and once calibrated its super awesome~

It made me order a U2711 from dell this time so i get the 3 year warranty that they offer for their screens. I think it will arrive tomorrow, and tomorrow will hopefully be an awesome day.
I cant wait to calibrate it and edit my pictures of dogs and play intense graphics demanding games like Adom 2 and Crawl Stone Soup.

I just wanted to express my happiness for monitors.

edit: i bought a U2312 for a friend after i saw what a lovely used screen he used for his drawings and whatnot. He said it showed really nice colors and was really good (i have never seen it turned on because i went home to my birthplace so i take his word for it). Then again, going from an old tn screen to a U2312 must be a huge difference anyway.

edit2: sorry for bad weird sentences.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 24, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sinestro posted:

It is exactly 2 times 720p, and exactly 1.3̅ times 1080p. Most content is still 720p or not fixed resolution, like a video game.
I'm not sure how 4/3 times 1080p resolution helps with upscaling, but TV shows and what not should be great.

The gaming thing makes me a little wary because I only have a 560 Ti 1GB (stock OC'ed to 900MHz core), but after my honeymoon with D3 is over, I'll be back to once a weeek gaming, so net-net it's a win.

edit: Just went in for a Perfect Pixel PCBank from green-sum. Apparently he dropped his price to $299 overnight to match a couple of the smaller sellers (bigclothcraft appears to be out of Perfect Pixels at the moment)

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 24, 2012

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

For those who have a Korean monitor, do you have any regrets about the purchase? I'm especially interested in how you guys are handling a dual monitor setup.

No regrets at all. I still can't believe what a good deal it was, and often get the feeling that something is not right, that karmic law dictates it must explode at some point or something.

At first I had a 21" Dell 2001fp next to it on vertical mode, but then I just thought it was silly and put it away. The 27" has such high pixel density and screen real estate that I felt it was pointless to have another screen.

If I were to add another screen it would be a 19" of similar pixel density in vertical mode, something that doesn't take too much desk space, just so I can keep a browser window open while I game.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The only things so far with my monitor is that I am still nervous because of how it kept turning off the screen out of the box that SEEMS to be aleviated by reseating the connections inside of it but IT COULD HAPPEN AGAIN AT ANY SECOND WHILE BEATING STUFF UP IN D3 HARDCORE and holy poo poo there really isn't anything that is really designed for that resolution.

Except, well, Diablo 3. And it's great to watch TV shows on even if it's not using every pixel just because it's so big and very high quality (no ghosting, etc.)

So yes getting a $1000+ monitor for $300 was rather worth it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I run a second lovely old 17in monitor next to my k-pop special just because i've gotten so used to having a second monitor for IM while playing games.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

pokecapn posted:

AOC is a lovely brand and the monitors are refurbs on top of that. You're going to have a lot more than $50 worth of hassle opting for it versus something like this Asus TN with similar features http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

Heh, I ended up seeing that in my email as a Newegg sale and ended up buying it thinking it was a better value anyway. Glad to see my suspicions affirmed. :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Getting on the tell-me-how-you-feel-about-Korean-monitors bandwagon: Those that have went from a matte monitor like the Dells to the glossy Koreans...how do you feel about the glossy screen?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Getting on the tell-me-how-you-feel-about-Korean-monitors bandwagon: Those that have went from a matte monitor like the Dells to the glossy Koreans...how do you feel about the glossy screen?

ITS SO AMAZING GET THIS lovely COATING OFF MY DELL.

e: Before, I considered AG coating a plus. Now, I can't stand it. If you can control the lighting environment, I see no reason not to go for the glossyish types on the Korean monitors. It's gorgeous.

rum
Aug 23, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Coming from a U2412M, my Catleap is gorgeous. I have my blinds up during the day and the reflection from the gloss is only noticeable if I intentionally look for it. It's there, but not an issue.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Thermopyle posted:

I went from a Dell U2412M to a Shimian, and the U2412M is now in portrait mode next to the 27". I actually find the matte finish "uglier."

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Went from an LG W2600HP-BF which I thought was a good monitor, to a glossy Crossover (didn't want to gently caress around with finding a place to buy a new stand or mounting it) and I am definitely in favor of the glossy screen.

I have 1 stuck pixel but it is relatively out of the way and with the size of the pixels on these panels it is not an issue for me, even when I go looking for it takes me a few seconds to find it on a black background.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 25, 2012

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Has anyone here bought the MicroCenter 27" IPA yet? Pondering grabbing one now that I've been paid again. 40$ for shipping hurts but it's a drat nice looking monitor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tedronai66 posted:

Has anyone here bought the MicroCenter 27" IPA yet? Pondering grabbing one now that I've been paid again. 40$ for shipping hurts but it's a drat nice looking monitor.
According to reviews I've seen on HardOCP, it's a Korean monitor.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Is there anything equivalent to those Korean eBay deals in the 1080/1200p range? Gonna be monitor shopping within a few months and those look poo poo-hot, but I'm not sure my 4870s would do well enough for gaming with another 1.76 million pixels per frame. I guess my dream monitor is a 24-inch 1200p IPS panel that'll do at least 85Hz, but I haven't heard of a manufacturer aligning those stars.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Why are people obsessed with native-res gaming? I'd just run the games at 1920x1080 if it was smoother...

The visual difference simply isn't going to be that horrible. We're not talking about walls of text here.

It's not like everyone thinks every sub-1080p video looks like poo poo on a 1080p monitor... and it's not like you suddenly refuse to watch video on a 2560x1440 monitor because it's not native.

vv Not the point, I mean there's absolutely no reason to refuse a nice monitor because your card can't cope with games at native res, you'll still enjoy massive benefits on the desktop, and you can always upgrade your card at another time

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 25, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Why are people obsessed with HD over SD? Image quality.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

HalloKitty posted:

The visual difference simply isn't going to be that horrible. We're not talking about walls of text here.

It's not like everyone thinks every sub-1080p video looks like poo poo on a 1080p monitor... and it's not like you suddenly refuse to watch video on a 2560x1440 monitor because it's not native.

It's not walls of text, but there still tends to be a fair amount of small text, and lots of well-defined lines (particularly among UI elements), and generally aren't created with the consideration of maintaining visual clarity when someone's viewing with a crappy old SD CRT. Games definitely scale significantly worse than most video.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

vv Not the point, I mean there's absolutely no reason to refuse a nice monitor because your card can't cope with games at native res, you'll still enjoy massive benefits on the desktop, and you can always upgrade your card at another time

This is true, but some (all?) of the korean ones don't have a scalar, so you'll have to play games windowed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

4 Day Weekend posted:

This is true, but some (all?) of the korean ones don't have a scalar, so you'll have to play games windowed.

Ah, well that sucks. Maybe there's a way to get the card to scale it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I just assumed he wanted a x1200 analogue of the Catleap because it would mean it was fantastically cheaper than the other comparable options, while still being a good monitor that would meet his stated needs. :iiam:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

HalloKitty posted:

Ah, well that sucks. Maybe there's a way to get the card to scale it.

All modern video cards can scale even when there isn't a hardware scaler. That's how I get my 2560x1600 monitor to run at 1920x1200 when a game just is too much for my GTX580.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

According to reviews I've seen on HardOCP, it's a Korean monitor.

Yeah, it is. I've just only seen one set of pictures and such. Just wondering how these have stacked up dead pixel and stuck pixel wise to the ebay monitors.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got an email notification via ebay yesterday that my Korean monitor had shipped, but the expected delivery is June 12-25. From what I've seen on HardOCP and Overclock.net, delivery is usually under a week. Did you guys also get a 3-4 week delivery estimate?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 26, 2012

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Josh Lyman posted:

I got an email notification via ebay yesterday that my Korean monitor had shipped, but the expected delivery is June 12-25. From what I've seen on HardOCP and Overclock.net, delivery is usually under a week. Did you guys also get a 3-4 week delivery estimate?

Yes, that number from eBay is useless. Put the actual tracking number and you'll see the correct one.

I ordered mine on a Tuesday night, got it by Friday morning.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
Dell U2711 is $829.99 on Newegg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-24260038-L013B

I think that's a good price? Plus bonus for people who'd pay tax from Dell and wouldn't from Newegg.

E: and the U2412m is $310 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

VampiricGiraffe
Feb 5, 2012
Anyone have any experience with the hp 2311x? Looking at one for my diablo 3 rig as hp.com has it for $115 after coupon (ACCS73419 for any like minded goons) . Just another generic tn panel, or any major pluses or minuses?

Not super concerned with viewing angle (I have a separate tv so would not be gathering people around it to watch movies etc). Really I want it to look decent running D3 in high, avoid motion blur, and not break

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For the longest time, my experience/thoughts on monitors had been "it's a monitor, they're all monitors". Obviously, that was incorrect. I'm no monitor guru, but with a bit of Googlefu and a lot of reading in this thread, I'm down to two options. I want a dual-monitor setup (don't need one, just want). For the most part I use the machine this will be going to for recording music, with hobby photography and graphic design thrown in (nothing very good, but I'm learning). I'm looking at either the Asus VH236H or the Dell U2312HM. Based on my activities, what do you guys recommend?

Edit: I'm running an ATI Raedeon HD 6850 if that helps at all.

BobOfDoom fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 29, 2012

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you have to ask whether we'd recommend a TN panel or an IPS panel, you haven't done enough reading of the thread. (hint: get the Dell)

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

BobOfDoom posted:

Based on my activities, what do you guys recommend?

Edit: I'm running an ATI Raedeon HD 6850 if that helps at all.

Go for the dell since its IPS. Or if you can take the risk, look into the korean monitors, they're absurdly cheap now.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

My computer is opposite a large sliding glass door so I would have preferred a matte screen to a glossy one, but it's only an issue for times like this last weekend where I actually used my computer quite a lot during morning hours.

And by an issue I mean it's slightly annoying but I was still playing Diablo 3 hardcore mode on it and not thinking about it much.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Responded to an old-ish post sorry.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 29, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Exactly what is the USB cable for on the U2312HM? All the monitors I remember owning just used the VGA and power cables.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Exactly what is the USB cable for on the U2312HM? All the monitors I remember owning just used the VGA and power cables.

Built in USB hub.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
There are two usb sockets on the left side of the monitor.

e:fb

Captain Libido
Jun 17, 2003

rawrr posted:

There are two usb sockets on the left side of the monitor.

e:fb

If I recall, there are also two behind the screen as well.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My boss was recently raving about how it was some kind of amazing magic that the monitors we bought had USB ports on them (Dell P2312s). I thought it was odd, then I found out he thought it was traveling down the DVI cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Tedronai66 posted:

Built in USB hub.

Oh, ok. Safe to unplug then.